hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This situation with young players is not a new one
    I have written about my own experiences on several previous threads and apologise for repeating myself.
    Hundreds of 15/16 year old's have been hailed , over the years , as " talented " " extremely promising " , myself included !!
    I played first team football at 18 and by 19 was told " sorry but you haven't progressed as we hoped you would and we are freeing you "
    Why was that ?
    I trained hard listened to the coaches , did my best but that vital something to take me to the next level just wasn't there !
    I personally know of around twenty young lads who over the years , who after looking like stars of the future , haven't been able to make the step up
    Lads like
    Kenny Allison who played 5 games in 1958 and went to Dumbarton
    Tom Stevens who played 1 game in 1972 and went to Hamilton
    Both these lads were looked on as " good prospects "
    Reasons ?
    That is the $64000 question
    Fair points but I would reverse that scenario and ask why some guys actually sustain a career when they seem to offer very little. Kevin McBride is an example of someone who´s been around for a long time and played at a decent level yet is fairly bland.

I thought Booth had all the skills to be a fine player for Hibs, looks like Pat disagrees

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not all good prospects develop in the way we would like, many plateau out and find their own level, and only a small few carry on to become SPL players. Booth looks like another young lad who's just stalled in his career, like quite a few from the double winning youth team from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair points but I would reverse that scenario and ask why some guys actually sustain a career when they seem to offer very little. Kevin McBride is an example of someone who´s been around for a long time and played at a decent level yet is fairly bland.

I thought Booth had all the skills to be a fine player for Hibs, looks like Pat disagrees
    And to jc1

Agree totally with both of you !
    Good posts
    Apologies again for repeating myself but talked with Alex Miller to a great length on why this happens and we both agreed there was no obvious reason . It is just " how it is " ( his words )
    A coach can only advise and demonstrate , a player has to take it on board and do his best to develop his skills
    This is a problem in probably every sport .
    Every Manager has /sets his own stabdards of what he expects from a player and I am sure there have been a number of boys having been "freed" have " come back from the dead" and made it to a decent standard.
    Many played well at Junior level and enjoyed a decent career .
    Rugby is another prime example of boys not developing as expected