hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Rod Petrie Appreciation Thread

Dear Rod, You are great. Thanks so much for looking after Hibs I really like them and I am pleased you have not gambled the history of our great club for a the short term gain. P.S. Rod is that a wee -well deserved- smile I can see across your face during this interview? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22888581
    Last edited by spike220; 19-06-2013 at 10:15 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibeenicol's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ll nicol ll
    Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dear Rod, You are great. Thanks so much for looking after Hibs I really like them and I am pleased you have not gambled the history of our great club for a the short term gain. P.S. Rod is that a wee -well deserved- smile I can see across your face during this interview? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22888581
    Definitely a smile in that interview, I think he done very well to hold his laughter in though

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    image.jpg

I wear mine with pride ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Taches for first home game?! Stick on or start growing now!

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We are the Rod Petrie Appreciation Society
    We hate Jam Tarts and all the other varieties
    We are the PBS Conservation Affinium
    God bless Asbestos, white paint and aluminium.

Get it sorted Petrie!!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    We are the Rod Petrie Appreciation Society
    We hate Jam Tarts and all the other varieties
    We are the PBS Conservation Affinium
    God bless Asbestos, white paint and aluminium.

Get it sorted Petrie!!!!
    I`m going to have that tune lodged in my head all day now.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeenicol View Post
    Definitely a smile in that interview, I think he done very well to hold his laughter in though
    I showed my better half that last week and she was laughing at it. (no interest in football)

Btw..I really think Rod deserves so much respect for everything. Yes fans want him to spend. But we have lived within our means big style. Todays news just confirms what a great chairman/cheif exec/tea boy we really have :

Coaching Staff
    The stick I've taken on here the last few years. You've all got a cheek!

All I need now is for Alan O'Brien to come good.

Hate to burst the feelgood bubble but Rod Petrie has made some terrible decisions in his time in charge and has lost Hibs a lot of money.

Sorry lads but Hearts plight has not made me feel all cosy towards Rod all of a sudden.

That is soooooooooooooooo funny.He managed to perfect it.Whilst not laughing out loud or doing anything he can get chinned for being disrespectful for, its obvious what he is feeling with the little GIRFUY smirks.Hibs class

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    The stick I've taken on here the last few years. You've all got a cheek!

All I need now is for Alan O'Brien to come good.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Hate to burst the feelgood bubble but Rod Petrie has made some terrible decisions in his time in charge and has lost Hibs a lot of money.

Sorry lads but Hearts plight has not made me feel all cosy towards Rod all of a sudden.
    Nine minutes you got Andy
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Nine minutes you got Andy
    Haha, i never even noticed Andys post! :-)

Haha, i never even noticed Andys post! :-)
    This is how it feels

How dare someone appreciate Rod Petrie on hibs.net

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Gets 10/10 from me, i was behind the goals chatting to him and my nephew dropped a pound, i said quick pick it up before Rod gets it, to his credit he was pissing himself laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Gets 10/10 from me, i was behind the goals chatting to him and my nephew dropped a pound, i said quick pick it up before Rod gets it, to his credit he was pissing himself laughing
    Something similar happened to me when my nephew dropped a pound coin but it hit Rod on the back of the head
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Something similar happened to me when my nephew dropped a pound coin but it hit Rod on the back of the head
    Haha, anyone with such a glorious moustache gets my respect, his like a modern day Stalin in more ways than one!!

Why can't you just be glad at he's been at the helm these past years

And what's this "lot of money he's lost us"

Jeez, think of Scotty and Thomson and Fletch

The dilema we seem to have as hibs fans over the past few years with rod has been

• He's not put enough money into the team to put ourselfs higher in the league
    • Hes a tight arse
    • blahblahblah

Same old hymn sheet in my opinion, yes we've have a rough couple of years, but we seem to be financially stable. Id rather have a crappy year and still be in the spl with two feet firmly on the ground than facing liquidation in administration!

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Why can't you just be glad at he's been at the helm these past years

And what's this "lot of money he's lost us"

Jeez, think of Scotty and Thomson and Fletch
    Id imagine managerial appointments and payoffs and doing an ill-fated as it turned out Tammy Wynette with Calderclown.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

Of the five key qualities of a top football chairman / CEO refusing to spend more than you earn is definitely up there.

The others are in my view

[LIST=1][*] Recruiting and retaining a good manager [*] Creating a strong and identifiable brand and culture [*] Great leadership and people skills[*] On field success with a good style of football

Of the five key qualities of a top football chairman / CEO refusing to spend more than you earn is definitely up there.

The others are in my view

1. Recruiting and retaining a good manager
    2. Creating a strong and identifiable brand and culture
    3. Great leadership and people skills
    4. On field success with a good style of football

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Personally I can't say this thread sits too well with me. I'm not an advocate of Petrie and think his time should have been up long ago.

We have been a mess on and off the park for the best part of 5 years now, although that does appear to be changing ever so slightly under Fenlon, Petrie has been the only constant in all this, but held accountable for nothing.

He has done the "easy" bits very well in getting the stadium and training ground completed, and at good price. However he has been found wanting when it comes to appointing managers, flying in the face of logic to back Calderwood, complicit in Hughes strategy to have almost an entire squad out of contract in one close season - which then became an "unworkable legacy", neglect in the youth set up and scouting (based on what I've seen and stories from here from people involved).

I don't recall threads like this when Gretna went to the wall in 2008 and we sacked Mixu the following year. Lets not let the basket case that is the extreme example of unworkable legacies that is the Pub Team gloss over the reality of Petrie's stewardship.

Hugs for Rod.

Sir RP

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Haha, anyone with such a glorious moustache gets my respect, his like a modern day Stalin in more ways than one!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    Personally I can't say this thread sits too well with me. I'm not an advocate of Petrie and think his time should have been up long ago.

We have been a mess on and off the park for the best part of 5 years now, although that does appear to be changing ever so slightly under Fenlon, Petrie has been the only constant in all this, but held accountable for nothing.

He has done the "easy" bits very well in getting the stadium and training ground completed, and at good price. However he has been found wanting when it comes to appointing managers, flying in the face of logic to back Calderwood, complicit in Hughes strategy to have almost an entire squad out of contract in one close season - which then became an "unworkable legacy", neglect in the youth set up and scouting (based on what I've seen and stories from here from people involved).

I don't recall threads like this when Gretna went to the wall in 2008 and we sacked Mixu the following year. Lets not let the basket case that is the extreme example of unworkable legacies that is the Pub Team gloss over the reality of Petrie's stewardship.
    So, what can we have realistically expected from him?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    He is Zen Stalin. He doesn't purge his enemies, he simply waits for them to destroy themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post

Fair dos. Ive been scunnered with the decline in our fortunes like everyone else which has drained support away and thr atmosphere around the Calderwood area was surely as low as it goes?

I do believe things have been skewed to the "easy" stuff* as you put it (not so sure about easy as if it was the case more folks would have done it. In contrast to performances. RP can only delegate - unless he's been intefering? Latterly did he not hand recruitment to Scott Lindsay? Maybe he delegated badly but does he not have to give the guys a fair carck of the whip on their own or maybe he does exert too much control (I'm not ITK perhaps others can enlighten )

Surely the managers bar JC would admit RP backed them within the financial parameters set (although I think perhaps Mixu was squeezed out towards the end?) Rod has his flaws maybe the benefits of his laying foundations will not be realised in his time at the club?

I don't envy the Chairmanship position it's a thankless task but I do thank Rod for steering a different course (proved to be a more sound one in terms if sustainability when it was swimming against the tide somewhat whilst the lemmings continued). I'd compare Rods biscuit tin mentality with The Bunnets at Celtic. History will judge though.

* I know you meant it in relative terms.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    So, what can we have realistically expected from him?
    • A coherent scouting network

• A youth setup that hasn't been neglected/mismanaged to the degree that we are/were behind the likes of Hearts and Falkirk (based on stories from parents on here)

• A consistant ethos and identity, I have no idea what commonality we have had between the managerial appointments of Mixu - Yogi - Calderwood - Fenlon. Do we have a "brand" and appoint managers to fit this like Wigan and Swansea for example?

• A professional culture, not a holiday resort at East Mains where a new manager comes in mid season and confirms what we could all see, that the players were not fit enough

All under Petrie's watch and within his remit, he was/is found wanting in most/all of them. If it wasn't for Farmer, we would have thanked him for the infrastructure and asked him to move on based on his performance this last 5 years or so.

Summer of change! New Hibs! Still Petrie!