hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He wasn't I'm afraid.I would describe him as a circus act lasting 5 minutes.A great,great player with no legs is a sad sight.He was idolised by many fans but did little for the team couldn't be relied on got the manager sacked and wasn't a patch on Ally McLeod.
    yes totally agree he was way past his best, probably played half pissed as well, was a great player but no with us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The Famous Five and their six team mates
    This is how it feels

Gordon Smith.

Had the good fortune to see Sauzee and Latapy, but not the Famous Five or the Tornados.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Gordon Smith. Willie Hamilton. Just missed out on Eric Stevenson and heard so many stories from my Dad about so many cracking players I'd be here all night, well, with us being the big team now and all that

Mickey Weir - my first match was Hibs 3 Rangers 4 at the end of 92/93 and I started following Hibs then. Mickey Weir had, I think, been badly injured and never really found the form he had had before, esp in that cup run in 91 so I always wanted to see him do what everyone around me talked about.
    Tommy McIntyre for the same reasons and because the person who introduced me to Hibs had strong loyalties to him as a person - again I saw him play but with him n Weir neither were at their best due to injuries.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Gordon Smith.

If you've not read his autobiography Prince of Wingers by his son Tony when you do it may just sway you to voting for him if you've not already ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    yes totally agree he was way past his best, probably played half pissed as well, was a great player but no with us.
    I've always had an image of one of the greatest players ever, in his pomp, scoring goals for fun in front of a packed out 1970s Easter Road, every man and his dug with long hair and flares on.

Image shattered.

First Team Breakthrough
    Best was past his, er, Best, but he was better than some people are making out. His brain was still intact and some of his passing was superb - problem was most of his team mates weren't good enough to make the runs needed to tak advantage.
    Didn't see Baker, or Willie Hamilton, but the footage exists is enough to convince me they must have been something else.
    But given the chance, it would have to have been Gordon Smith. The best footage I have seen of him is from an old Sportscene on YouTube, playing for Dundee when they beat Rangers 5-1 at Ibrox. The thing that struck me was how modern a player he looked, although he was past his best. Talking of which, if only they'd started the European Cup a few years earlier than they did, we could have had a star above the badge!

Joe Tortolano, I see him mentioned so much.

Would have loved to have seen Turnbull's Tornadoes or The Famous Five but gonna go for Joe Baker in this instance.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    Matty Jack ... Things I have heard about the guy are short of magical!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    The Famous Five, Pat Stanton, George Best.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Any Hibs team from about 1948 to when I started watching them in 1970. So, Famous 5 plus 6 (C) Johnnyboy. Young JB, the teams that beat Real, Barca and Napoli.

In a similar vein to some other posters, any of Bertie Auld's teams....

@hibs.net private member
    All of the Tornadoes at their best. Saw Arthur Duncan, Sloop and Shades towards the end of their careers. Shades was still a hero to me even at that stage.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Pat Stanton, he was one of my granddad's favourite players, I've had the honour to meet Pat and talk to him about how highly my granddad used to rate him.

I'd also like to have seen Cropley, the Famous Five and Best.

First Team Breakthrough Smiggy 7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    The Famous Five and their six team mates
    Got that right mate, would also have loved to have seen Joe Baker during his first spell, although saw him second time around he still had it......TRUE LEGEND