hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Edinburgh derby...the friendly derby? (merged)

As derbies go, how friendly is ours?

I wouldnt piss on them if they were on fire.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I am confident that the next Edinburgh Derby will be very friendly. I know a couple of guys from Spartans and they are pretty decent.

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    Never been to a friendly derby, all of them have been pretty hostile and a few quite violent.

Since 1985 Ive been spat on once, punched once, called a "Dirty green fenian *******" once and witnessed a wee Hibs lassie about 12 being physically assaulted by a fat Jambo. All at Tynecastle.

Friendly people those maroon sort.

I will be thinking of each and everyone of you when your club goes tits up. Welts. GIRFUY!

It got increasingly nasty in the 80s.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am confident that the next Edinburgh Derby will be very friendly. I know a couple of guys from Spartans and they are pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    This comment is below the belt and shows a distinct lack of respect to Edinburgh City and Civil Service Strollers.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Not exactly friendly but fairly sane compared to the Tyne-Wear or when Celtc played Oldco.

A spell apart will heighten the rivalry.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

A proper derby would be Hibs v Leith Athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Not exactly friendly but fairly sane compared to the Tyne-Wear or when Celtc played Oldco.

Will there still be football after Hell freezes over?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post

Was at a sheffield derby and it was the worse ive ever seen and it was mean to be a friendly as well.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Tyne and Wear is nuts. Got a feeling that the first derby back between newco and Celtic will be a very poisonous one (more than usual).
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

3 or 4 of us went for a pint, to the pub along Angle Park Terrace, towards Slateford in the eighties. it's near the t.lights and Ardmillan, I think. obviously a Jambo bar, but we were subjected to.............you can smell the ****s, fenian ****, various derisorary remarks etc. fair enough, they'd probably get similar, down our way so , to sum it up. I dinnae gie a flying fiddlers... as to what happens to that lot next week. the worse the better. Although, 2 of what I'd describe as my best mates, today actually said to me in the pub that they thought it would be a bad thing for Hibernian, if the gorgie mob went doon the tubes. the money we'd lose, the banter, the this, the that . canny mind it aw' as I've been drinkin' but I was at the point of falling out with mates and fellow Hibbies! they seem to quickly forget that we are described as the wee team by that lot!

Compared to Fenerbahce v Galatasaray or Boca Juniors v River Plate, it's probably quite tame but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a friendly.

Do away with segregation and we'll see just how friendly the derby is.

I want the Yams and their trampy supporters to suffer for years to come. I don't want them to go out of business but to get their just rewards for all the overspending and cheating their way to trophies over the past 8 or 9 years. What would be most satisfying is to give their scabby wee club a doing in every match we play against them for years to come.

I hate them with a passion, everything about them. But nothing in Britain compares to Poland/Turkey/Argentina where it's stabbings frequently etc.

I would say I'm a fairly decent chap so, unsurprisingly, my pals are fairly decent too - and there's a few jambos in there. We all get on just fine.

I would like to point out though that those decent jambos, to a man, have hated Romingoff from the early days and their utter disdain for JKB and all that post on there is a hoot.

So yes, the Edinburgh derby/rivalry can be not just friendly, but somewhat grown up too.

But I'll say to you, as I often say them; **** the hertz :)

So maybe not that grown up :D

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Do away with segregation and we'll see just how friendly the derby is.

I want the Yams and their trampy supporters to suffer for years to come. I don't want them to go out of business but to get their just rewards for all the overspending and cheating their way to trophies over the past 8 or 9 years. What would be most satisfying is to give their scabby wee club a doing in every match we play against them for years to come.
    you must be part of the slightly less than 50% then although there is a portian that don't actually gie a ****.

... and it rips ma knittin when all you guys come on here with stories of rippin into your deluded yams.

I start saying stuff about Thomson and they agree its disgusting, I start talking about financial stuff and they agree they're stuffed! For goodness sake they laughed louder and longer than me about the stair painting!!

Bloody hell, a couple of years ago when one came back from overseas for an Edinburgh holiday we all went to Easter Road!!!

It's just jot fair :(
    Last edited by Jack; 16-06-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    you must be part of the slightly less than 50% then although there is a portian that don't actually gie a ****.
    They provide us with most of our entertainment and without them my post count would fall sharply.

I'm already looking forward to seeing them getting humped in division 3 by Peterhead and Elgin either next season or the following season.

First Team Breakthrough
    Slightly off topic, but I think a strange thing happened to Hearts fans after THAT day. On the train back, we were all singing, but they were silent. Their victory parade, from Hearts family and friends who were there was very muted. They failed to turn up for their big party at ER in August, and have had nothing to cheer about since. It's as if, after having achieved the ultimate high, they have nothing to live for. They will never better that result, unless they beat us by eight in a cup final. They will never enjoy a cup win as much again. They will never win the league. They have no real further reason to exist, other than perhaps to keep their club from dying. They are dead people walking. Think about it...

I'd say it's a very friendly derby outwith match days, we seem to get on fine in public.

It's just when it's derby day things get a bit heated.

I've been to derbies all over the UK and beyond.

Pre Mercer takeover bid: good natured, with an aggressive lunatic fringe on both sides.

Post Mercer takeover bid: one of the most spiteful, poisonous undertakings on the planet, with a few on both sides trying to hold the sanity line.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Things used to be much worse in the 80's and early 90's - CCTV and policing has calmed things down somewhat, however it's still pretty "unfriendly" and there will always be issues for both sets of away supporters visiting ER / PBS.

As a side note, I must say that the worse behavour that I have witnessed for a local derby would be West Ham V Millwall a few years ago when I lived in London - sheer madness before, during and after the game.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Things used to be much worse in the 80's and early 90's - CCTV and policing has calmed things down somewhat, however it's still pretty "unfriendly" and there will always be issues for both sets of away supporters visiting ER / PBS.

As a side note, I must say that the worse behavour that I have witnessed for a local derby would be West Ham V Millwall a few years ago when I lived in London - sheer madness before, during and after the game.
    CCTV? which team were they aligned with? Seemed to have a big presence throughout the country - everywhere the action was ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I wouldn't exactly call it the friendly derby but, as others have already said, it's by no means the worst.

My very first game was a derby at ER, March 79, and it was absolute mayhem. The number of arrests inside the ground alone were well into double digits. The next time we played them at home was a couple of years later in the EoS Shield (still seniors at that point), which was in almost every other sense a 'friendly'. That was mayhem inside the ground, with one policeman taken to hospital after been attacked in the Dunbar End, then mayhem afterwards where Hearts fans were throwing bricks at buses containing Hibs fans in London Road & Princes St.

IMHO, the violence in the pre-casual era could be just as bad, if not worse, than during it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I've been to Upton Park and The New Den for this fixture, they are certainly "interesting" events.

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY;3644270[B
    I've been to Upton Park[/B] and The New Den for this fixture, they are certainly "interesting" events.
    Me too, no need to go to the zoo to see wildlife when they play.....

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by gavmac View Post
    Me too, no need to go to the zoo to see wildlife when they play.....
    Was at west Ham v Millwall in 2009 and that was a bit tasty to say the least.
    The west ham fans kept invading the pitch near the end ( extra time irrc ) but mayhem before during and after the game.
    And it wasn't just each other they were fighting any body anywhere near it was dragged in.
    Thank **** it's not that bad at our Derby fair enough the odd scrap and stuff but stabbing and bottling each other?

Definitely not friendly, especially on derby days, but it's not like you can hate someone based on their football team. (Unless they are Celtic/Rangers who believe in that IRA/UVF bull****).