hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnhouse Open

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Turnhouse Open

Two day open 29/30 June.

Prizes include a car for a hole in one on the Sunday!

See the website uf you're interested.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I should have said that if you qualify after the first 2 rounds, you play in the match play competition Monday to Friday.

£15 for only one game would be a good deal, but depending on how you progress, you could play 7 games for the same entry fee.

£3000 in prizes plus a car for a hole in one at the 9th on the Sunday!

See the website or PM me, if you're interested.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Looks like a good Tournament. Have the committee fully explored the complexity of offering cars as hole-in-one prizes? The R&A are certainly not keen and it`s a dangerous road to be going down. http://shop.randa.org/productfiles/H...ne%20Guide.pdf
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 13-06-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like a good Tournament. Have the committee fully explored the complexity of offering cars as hole-in-one prizes? The R&A are certainly not keen and it`s a dangerous road to be going down. http://shop.randa.org/productfiles/H...ne%20Guide.pdf
    Reads, in the conclusion as follows:

"It is easy for an amateur golfer to overlook or forget the benefits of being an ‘amateur’, particularly when he is offered the keys to a new car for a hole-in-one. But acceptance of such a prize will have certain consequences which may cause him to regret his decision – his official handicap will lapse, any Club or Society of which he is a member may review his eligibility for continued membership and participation in amateur competitions is a thing of the past. The game that he used to enjoy so much may be changed significantly.

The danger of taking a more lenient attitude towards hole-in-one prizes is that this would almost certainly lead to a proliferation of such prizes, with the hole-in-one competition becoming more important than the main event. In addition, and as already mentioned, the high financial incentive to win such a prize may well give rise to abuses of the Rules of play in a game which currently benefits from being largely self-regulating.

Consequently, the Amateur Status Committee of The R&A holds the view that offering improper prizes for holes-in-one is contrary to the best interests of the game and seeks the continued support of all concerned with amateur golf competitions in keeping prizes offered within the Rules."

Good old R&A - women don't get holes in one - joking aside, why not allow a one-off prize > £500 before compromising a player's amateur status? The game of golf needs to take a long hard look at itself and update its outlook and rules.

I will be there hoping to fo one better than last year when I was beat in the dinal of the a flight.

I will be there hoping to fo one better than last year when I was beat in the dinal of the a flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Reads, in the conclusion as follows:

"It is easy for an amateur golfer to overlook or forget the benefits of being an ‘amateur’, particularly when he is offered the keys to a new car for a hole-in-one. But acceptance of such a prize will have certain consequences which may cause him to regret his decision – his official handicap will lapse, any Club or Society of which he is a member may review his eligibility for continued membership and participation in amateur competitions is a thing of the past. The game that he used to enjoy so much may be changed significantly.

The danger of taking a more lenient attitude towards hole-in-one prizes is that this would almost certainly lead to a proliferation of such prizes, with the hole-in-one competition becoming more important than the main event. In addition, and as already mentioned, the high financial incentive to win such a prize may well give rise to abuses of the Rules of play in a game which currently benefits from being largely self-regulating.

Consequently, the Amateur Status Committee of The R&A holds the view that offering improper prizes for holes-in-one is contrary to the best interests of the game and seeks the continued support of all concerned with amateur golf competitions in keeping prizes offered within the Rules."

Good old R&A - women don't get holes in one - joking aside, why not allow a one-off prize > £500 before compromising a player's amateur status? The game of golf needs to take a long hard look at itself and update its outlook and rules.
    Guy I was playing with last night reckoned the rule has been changed.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Yep. Covered by this year's rule change.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Am...atus-2012.aspx

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Yep. Covered by this year's rule change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Looks like I`m going to need to pick up a copy of the latest Rules of Golf for a refresher!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I am early shift the week of the matchplay stuff and on holiday for a fortnight after that. Being a former winner of the 36 hole handicap event I feel its my duty to play. Wonder if there are still spaces? Nothing on at Harburn next weekend. Could be a goer.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    G - I'm back up from the 1st of July for a week as I have my graduation ceremony in Aberdeen on the 2nd - you around that week for a cheeky round at Monifieth?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    G - I'm back up from the 1st of July for a week as I have my graduation ceremony in Aberdeen on the 2nd - you around that week for a cheeky round at Monifieth?
    Should be do-able. I may have a tie or two to play however..

That's me sorted for the Turnhouse Open. Paid by debit card over the phone. Easy and Painless.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    That's me sorted for the Turnhouse Open. Paid by debit card over the phone. Easy and Painless.
    Is cash or cheque not the preferred payment system in vogue these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Is cash or cheque not the preferred payment system in vogue these days ?

Net 72 today.

It was windy, so not easy, but I'm a bit disappointed as I left a few shots out there.

Buffer so I've still got a chance of qualifying if I have a better round tomorrow.

How did you get on, Lex?

Left by mutual consent!
    Well done, Radge - At the moment, I'd take a net 72 any day of the week (I did shoot an +8 gross on Tuesday that was a bolt from the blue).

Regards the hole-in-one prize. I've never aced, and that's playing most of my golf off a single figure handicap. I've been within a putters width numerous times, however, I played in a mixed two-ball match with a woman from Saffron Walden several years ago in a county open at some god-forsaken course in Cambridgeshire and there was a new Vauxhall up for grabs if you holed-in-one at the 10th. It happened to be my tee shot. It was a tricky downhill par 3 and the ground was rock hard due to drought-like conditions. I hit a 4 iron and there was no way you could hold the green - bugger me, did I not hit the pin flush on and leave the ball a few feet away from the hole. She nailed the putt and that put us under par.

We won the tournament by 6 shots and I still use the crystal decanter that I won.

That 18 holes was possibly the best round I've ever played. We went round in +1 (she was off a handicap of 8 - me 3) and I don't think we missed a fairway.

Net 72 today.

It was windy, so not easy, but I'm a bit disappointed as I left a few shots out there.

Buffer so I've still got a chance of qualifying if I have a better round tomorrow.

How did you get on, Lex?
    74 with a bloody 7 at the par three 9th!!! Hit it decent. only really holed one putt all day.(Birdie from about 25ft at 4) lipped out 4 times and three putted twice including the last. I hit it pretty good tho considering. Bring on tomorrow. That should be good enough for buffer if its at 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Well done, Radge - At the moment, I'd take a net 72 any day of the week (I did shoot an +8 gross on Tuesday that was a bolt from the blue).

Regards the hole-in-one prize. I've never aced, and that's playing most of my golf off a single figure handicap. I've been within a putters width numerous times, however, I played in a mixed two-ball match with a woman from Saffron Walden several years ago in a county open at some god-forsaken course in Cambridgeshire and there was a new Vauxhall up for grabs if you holed-in-one at the 10th. It happened to be my tee shot. It was a tricky downhill par 3 and the ground was rock hard due to drought-like conditions. I hit a 4 iron and there was no way you could hold the green - bugger me, did I not hit the pin flush on and leave the ball a few feet away from the hole. She nailed the putt and that put us under par.

We won the tournament by 6 shots and I still use the crystal decanter that I won.

That 18 holes was possibly the best round I've ever played. We went round in +1 (she was off a handicap of 8 - me 3) and I don't think we missed a fairway.
    Good story, G.

I had a hole in one at Turnhouse 11th the year before last, my only one.

I didn't see it go in, but it was a gooooood feeling!

Left by mutual consent!
    Good story, G.

I had a hole in one at Turnhouse 11th the year before last, my only one.

I didn't see it go in, but it was a gooooood feeling!

Taking this off-topic a bit, I played in a boys open tournament (must be 32 or so years ago) at Grangemouth GC and RBS were involved in the sponsorship. I was a late starter and played in the afternoon in absolutely awful conditions. RBS had a framed prize of all current bank notes and coins in circulation for the closest to the pin at the last par 3. It was blowing a gale and the wind was in our face when I stood on the tee. I hid a screamer of a driver and the ball dribbled up to the hole and the guy by the green got out the tape and measured my ball. I got to the green and was told that my 2 feet or so was the closest of the day and there was only half a dozen groups behind me. I was thinking of the £100 note - the £50 note and how I'd spend it. That dosh was coming straight out the frame!

**** me, I stood on the next tee only to watch a lad in the group behind hole his tee shot.

That still *****in haunts me to this day.
    Last edited by Sergey; 29-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Sair yin, right enough.

Well day two was a wee bit tough!!!!! I dont need to keep my nights free this week.

Tough day yesterday but a 4 at the last has just got me into the b flight

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Tough day yesterday but a 4 at the last has just got me into the b flight
    Nice one Gary - all the best this week.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Reasonable net 72 on day 1, but yesterday was horrible.

Extremely strong wind and heavy rain made the first 9 very difficult, but I wasn't out of it, even if I was 4 worse off than the previous day.

However, I was carrying my clubs for the first time in months and a combination of that and the elements saw fatigue set in and lost balls at 12 and 14 made NR seem like a great option.

One year we'll have good weather for our open. It's nearly July FFS.

Reasonable net 72 on day 1, but yesterday was horrible.

Extremely strong wind and heavy rain made the first 9 very difficult, but I wasn't out of it, even if I was 4 worse off than the previous day.

However, I was carrying my clubs for the first time in months and a combination of that and the elements saw fatigue set in and lost balls at 12 and 14 made NR seem like a great option.

One year we'll have good weather for our open. It's nearly July FFS.
    Did you get a chance to play Machrie when you where on Islay D?

Never played it but considering sticking the clubs in the boot when i'm over in September. The Atlantic wind is supposed to make it an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Did you get a chance to play Machrie when you where on Islay D?

Never played it but considering sticking the clubs in the boot when i'm over in September. The Atlantic wind is supposed to make it an experience.
    I didn't.

It was just the two of us and I thought I'd be stretching it a bit if I left Mrs R on her jack jones while I went for 18 holes given that she ferried me around half pished 3 days out of 5 after distillery tours!

I'll upload some pics of my trip onto the Sublime Accident social group and I'll give you my tour suggestions there too.