hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tam Cowan

1. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brebners Bookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and you were expecting tae find in the daily bogroll?

I agree with just about every word he says. Once again, the tactics deployed on the pitch after we went 2-0 down were abysmal.

At least he praises the Hibs fans!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Brokeback will now have a thread saying how they hate/never agree with Tam Cowan but has it 100% correct here.

Zzzzzzzz

4000 motherwell/sevco fans wouldnt have acted with that defiance at the end. No wonder he doesnt understand

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Wow, that's an original piece. Not at all like he's just re-written that other douche bags rant from earlier in the week and stuck his stupid fat face next to it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zondervan View Post
    I agree with just about every word he says. Once again, the tactics deployed on the pitch after we went 2-0 down were abysmal.

At least he praises the Hibs fans!
    He used the Vince Lombardi quote to effectively call our players and manager losers which is a bit much but other than that, he is 100% spot on.

There was a "as long as we're not pumped again" air to the whole day. I think after the disaster last year, it's almost acceptable and probably not understood by outsiders who didn't feel the pain of last year. However, if, by some strange miracle we make it 3 finals in a row, I can't see the sloppy defending and feeble fight back being accepted as readily again.

Testimonial Due
    It's hard to disagree with much of what he says to be fair. Have to admit I had a wee chuckle at his line about having £50 on us to finally parade the cup in an open top intergalactic spaceship.

Cowan's a fat welt

I can't stand him, unfunny and west coast bias really does my head in.

This is just another case of jumping on the lack of respect bandwagon we have to endure in the press, I'm not paranoid about it, just sick of it.

And him.....

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    He used the Vince Lombardi quote to effectively call our players and manager losers which is a bit much but other than that, he is 100% spot on.

There was a "as long as we're not pumped again" air to the whole day. I think after the disaster last year, it's almost acceptable and probably not understood by outsiders who didn't feel the pain of last year. However, if, by some strange miracle we make it 3 finals in a row, I can't see the sloppy defending and feeble fight back being accepted as readily again.
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Cowan's a fat welt

And about as funny as typhoid.

As others have pointed out it's a rewrite of some no name's article in the daily ****** from earlier in the week.

Whether you agree or disagree I'd say this isn't journalism (and doesn't really work as comment piece).

Now I know Tam Cowan is the epitomy of the "I'm fae glasgae and therefore a born comedian" syndrome but even if you agree with the thrust of what he's saying it's provocational and insulting to the team I support and I don't believe it belongs in a newspaper - even a piss poor excuse for one.

It's designed to stir up comment and mud slinging and that isn't what I think his paper should be doing.

Were it not for the fact it's in a hun apoligist rag I'd be suggesting that they're not happy with the "best fans in the world" being handed their erses during much of the cup final.

That we performed well as a support needs to be taken separately from the performance on the day and shouldn't be confused with thinking the performance was acceptable or being happy that we only got beaten 3-0

It's worth putting everything into context however and remembering that 18 months ago Colin Calderwood was in charge of this club and we were as awful as I can ever remember us being - clueless and disorganised and utterly woeful. Six months later and with a generally still poor squad we had the abysmal cup final.

As poor as we were last Sunday it was much further on from those days and to have a fat bawbag like Cowan act out his frustrations from being bullied at school ignore this context for "journalistic" convenience to insult my football club and score cheap points is not something I'm happy about.

Funny how he fails to mention the utter shambles at Tynecastle but of course he did a speech for free at a fundraiser for them didn't he? how cosy, still his gastric band must have held up with all the free cakes that were on offer that night...fud

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HOUSEkid
    To be honest he is talking the truth. We never won it and at times during play and after the match an outsider who had just come into the stadium would think we were the winners. I don't really get it. Is it because we are used to not winning it.....much like when we go away for Scotland games we have a party regardless of the result? For the record I did stay to the end, sing to the end and cheer our players but we do deserve better.....it's been 112 years FFS.

I also had a proper lol at "they’ll finally parade the cup in an open-top intergalactic spaceship". Oh....and the bit at the bottom about the restricted view at Darkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Funny how he fails to mention the utter shambles at Tynecastle but of course he did a speech for free at a fundraiser for them didn't he? how cosy, still his gastric band must have held up with all the free cakes that were on offer that night...fud
    Petty name calling and dragging in other unrelated events, just highlights how difficult it is to deny the validity of the piece.
    The delight he takes in it, is what gets my back up.

The tone in places jars a wee bit but the general thrust of his comments aren't that far off target for me. He does praise the Hibs fans and he does have a wee dig at the Celtc fans. I did feel we were in damage limitation mode for the majority of the game so a lot of what he says is justified. It's not nice having somebody outside of the Hibernian family point that out though.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

More lazy "journalism" / cut and paste.

A year ago we got hammered by our biggest rivals in the biggest game for years, it hurt us to the core. A year later we're back in the cup final. It was nothing to do with the performance on the park, it was about the support showing their love for the team and the Hibernian family through thick and thin, the last few years have been tough.

I was proud and it felt right

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    As others have pointed out it's a rewrite of some no name's article in the daily ****** from earlier in the week.

Whether you agree or disagree I'd say this isn't journalism (and doesn't really work as comment piece).

Now I know Tam Cowan is the epitomy of the "I'm fae glasgae and therefore a born comedian" syndrome but even if you agree with the thrust of what he's saying it's provocational and insulting to the team I support and I don't believe it belongs in a newspaper - even a piss poor excuse for one.

It's designed to stir up comment and mud slinging and that isn't what I think his paper should be doing.

Were it not for the fact it's in a hun apoligist rag I'd be suggesting that they're not happy with the "best fans in the world" being handed their erses during much of the cup final.

That we performed well as a support needs to be taken separately from the performance on the day and shouldn't be confused with thinking the performance was acceptable or being happy that we only got beaten 3-0

It's worth putting everything into context however and remembering that 18 months ago Colin Calderwood was in charge of this club and we were as awful as I can ever remember us being - clueless and disorganised and utterly woeful. Six months later and with a generally still poor squad we had the abysmal cup final.

As poor as we were last Sunday it was much further on from those days and to have a fat bawbag like Cowan act out his frustrations from being bullied at school ignore this context for "journalistic" convenience to insult my football club and score cheap points is not something I'm happy about.
    Well said and well written.

Cowan's piece is designed solely to stir up publicity and hits to that *****y rag and by giving free publicity on here we've done his job for him.

He's best ignored and so is the toilet paper of a publication he represents.

@hibs.net private member

One dimensional views that are frankly irrelevant

This article is a one dimensional view at the final..."they lost, why can they possible be accepting of that".

I feel the reasons the support showed support and defiance towards the end and the reason the team weren't "in pieces (although some were)" is because of where we have been and our reaction to that. After a longish period where the team had been in decline, we got thumped by our rivals in last years final. It felt the team were on their knees. After another summer of clearouts and changes, we could have cowered away and struggled. Particularly after getting thumped again by Dundee United the signs were ominous. But to be fair to the team they stepped up, didn't hide and worked their way to a decent (not great, but far better than last year) season. It culminated in another Scottish cup final appearance and qualification for Europe. Ok, we lost two bad goals early, and no one is happy with the result. But again we didn't fold, we worked away and without our captain and an injured Griffiths put a decent shift in.

I don't sense anyone in the team of the final was pleased with the final. They were hurting like us, but in the broader scheme, they also recognise we have started winning some pride back, including five games undefeated against the team that turned us over last year. As a result the players and staff and the fans largely recognise we are moving forward - unlike many of our rival teams.

Cowan doesn't get this...he has no understanding of the expectation of a Hibs team by us the fans or the club itself. Frankly, if Motherwell get turned over no one really cares...apart from a small group of people. The press would barely notice...A Cowan equivalent in another paper wouldn't even feel it worth of an article.

Can't see too much wrong. We were crap and showed no fight, a fact agreed with by many on here simply because "they are a better team". Weak.

Quote Originally Posted by marleyhib View Post
    More lazy "journalism" / cut and paste.

GGTTH
    I don't get that comment either.

Shockarooooooooooooney Daily Record journalist gets the facts correct now that's a first .

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    Well said and well written.

Cowan's piece is designed solely to stir up publicity and hits to that *****y rag and by giving free publicity on here we've done his job for him.

He's best ignored and so is the toilet paper of a publication he represents.

I still laugh that people read that rag and then complain about what's in it as if it was a shock and they didnae ken what sort of pish it would be. Even worse they then proceed tae give it mair oxygen by puting up links tae it. I dinnae click on links tae that site and I wouldnae use their bog roll tae wipe of my shoes.

Anyway who needs the daily bog roll tae put the boot in when you could just come on here.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This article is a one dimensional view at the final..."they lost, why can they possible be accepting of that".
    I was surpised he didnt use the Ron Dennis quote as well.

Not everyone can win. Thats reality. Cowan is a mediocre columnist/comedian at best and does he beat himself up every night because he's not as good as Bob Newhart, and if he acceots this is he, too, not a loser?

@hibs.net private member
    He's spot on. We were awful last week. Defence was pish and we created next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brebners Bookie View Post
    Is this what those Weegie guys call "banter". Where's the jokes?
    Last edited by Kato; 01-06-2013 at 11:20 AM.

If we carry on his logic why would any team bother continuing? Celtic will win the league next season. Should we then not bother.

First Team Breakthrough Hexham Hibee's Avatar
    Prompted by this thread I had a look at the Daily ****** online for the first time in ages. I know its a rag but what really got me raging is the summaries of each SPL club they have behind the club emblems. All are fairly positive especially Motherwell as you would expect but its the Hibs one that got me. "Haven't won the LEague since 1952 or the cup since 1902..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why all the negativity? Pat Fenlon is right when he says the press have a downer on us. Its not that I'm paranoid but no mention of first in Europe etc.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Hexham Hibee View Post
    Prompted by this thread I had a look at the Daily ****** online for the first time in ages. I know its a rag but what really got me raging is the summaries of each SPL club they have behind the club emblems. All are fairly positive especially Motherwell as you would expect but its the Hibs one that got me. "Haven't won the LEague since 1952 or the cup since 1902..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why all the negativity? Pat Fenlon is right when he says the press have a downer on us. Its not that I'm paranoid but no mention of first in Europe etc.

GGTTH
    I have long held the theory its because Rod gives them nothing. Other clubs feed their favoured journo's snippets and give them the inside track and in return they become their mouthpieces. You only have to look at #allisbarry or the succulent lamb brigade to see that when you have something to hide, the press can play an accomodating and complicit part in your getaway.