hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2013 French Open

With the football season finally finished, I need to recharge the batteries over the next couple of months before getting going again in August.

Until then the tennis will be the main attraction with the French Open and Wimbledon taking place over the next 6 weeks or so.

Up first is Roland Garros which started today and there's already been some great matches.

Earlier on Gilles Simon battled back from two sets down to defeat Lleyton Hewitt in five sets in the men's draw and in the women's draw, Venus Williams is fighting to stay in the tournament against Urszula Radwanska. It's one set all at the moment with both sets going to tiebreaks but it's not looking great for Williams at the moment as Radwanska has a double break in the decider at 4-0.

Little sister, Serena, had no such worries as she beat Anna Tatishvili 6-0 6-1.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Venus Williams went out last night after losing 6-4 in the third set against Urszula Radwanska.

Today Britain lost one of its three women as Laura Robson lost to Caroline Wozniacki 6-3 6-2. Only Heather Watson and Elena Baltacha remain now and there are obviously no British men in the draw following Murray's withdrawal last week.

Rafael Nadal had a slight scare against Daniel Brands. He lost the opening set 6-4 and the second set went to a tiebreak which he was 3-0 down in. However he recovered to win that tiebreak and never really looked back.

He eventually won 4-6 7-6 6-4 6-3 and will now play Martin Klizan in round two.

Interestingly, he could face Lukas Rosol, the man who beat him at last year's Wimbledon, in round three.

Fantastic match on right now between Tomas Berdych and Gael Monfils.

Monfils was two sets up but Berdych has come back to level the match at two sets all.

1-1 in the decider at the moment.

No tiebreaks in the final set so it could be on for some time.

Berdych is out after losing 7-5 in the final set to Gael Monfils.

Biggest upset so far in the tournament.

@hibs.net private member
    What channels is it on this year Falkirk and how is the name change coming on? (Notice STV had some coverage?)

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What channels is it on this year Falkirk and how is the name change coming on? (Notice STV had some coverage?)
    It's being shown on STV/ITV, ITV4, Eurosport and Eurosport 2.

Still no further forward with the name change! I'm really not very creative!

And then it was one!

After just three days of play, Heather Watson is the sole remaining British player left in the singles draw of the French Open.

After Laura Robson's exit yesterday, Elena Baltacha followed her home today after a 6-3 6-0 hammering by Marina Erakovic.

Watson will try to avoid a clean sweep of British first round exits when she takes on Stephanie Voegele tomorrow.

Novak Djokovic won in straight sets although it was three hard fought sets against David Goffin. He eventually came through 7-6 6-4 7-5.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    And then it was one!

After just three days of play, Heather Watson is the sole remaining British player left in the singles draw of the French Open.

After Laura Robson's exit yesterday, Elena Baltacha followed her home today after a 6-3 6-0 hammering by Marina Erakovic.

Watson will try to avoid a clean sweep of British first round exits when she takes on Stephanie Voegele tomorrow.

Novak Djokovic won in straight sets although it was three hard fought sets against David Goffin. He eventually came through 7-6 6-4 7-5.
    Watching Watson right now Falkirk. Question : Who will have the better career Watson or Robson ?

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Watching Watson right now Falkirk. Question : Who will have the better career Watson or Robson ?
    Quite a difficult question at the moment.

Watson's a couple of years older than Robson so, in theory, she should be further on in her development. However I don't think there's too much between them.

Robson has to work on her serve. It's a real weakness for her just now and she makes far too many double faults. But one thing she may have in her favour is that she's left handed and it's always different playing against a left hander. She must work on improving her serve statistics but at 19 years old, she has plenty of time on her side.

Watson is only 21 so she is still very young as well. She has been out for a while with glandular fever which is certainly going to knock her back a lot so it's probably unfair to judge her on her French Open performance.

It depends on how you judge a good career. At the moment, I would be surprised if either of them ever won a major as I don't think they're quite good enough for that but I would say that Laura Robson has the slight edge at the moment but it's not by much.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Quite a difficult question at the moment.

Watson's a couple of years older than Robson so, in theory, she should be further on in her development. However I don't think there's too much between them.

Robson has to work on her serve. It's a real weakness for her just now and she makes far too many double faults. But one thing she may have in her favour is that she's left handed and it's always different playing against a left hander. She must work on improving her serve statistics but at 19 years old, she has plenty of time on her side.

Watson is only 21 so she is still very young as well. She has been out for a while with glandular fever which is certainly going to knock her back a lot so it's probably unfair to judge her on her French Open performance.

It depends on how you judge a good career. At the moment, I would be surprised if either of them ever won a major as I don't think they're quite good enough for that but I would say that Laura Robson has the slight edge at the moment but it's not by much.
    Thanks.

Was just interested in your view. For me there is no comparison at the moment or probably indeed long term, I feel Robson is already a far better player and also has more potential. Think Watson will do well to get near the top 25. Robson could be a top 16 player if she can get that serve ironed out. Should really be doing better with it as its quite fluid and at times huge.

Watson is the better athlete but to be honest I don't see a lot else in her game. Robson has that massive forehand that can hit winners from almost anywhere on the court. Seems to have a better big game temperament as well. Thought Watsons display against Radwanska at Wimbledon last year in the third round was pretty rank whereas Robson has impressed against elite opponents.

Thanks.

Was just interested in your view. For me there is no comparison at the moment or probably indeed long term, I feel Robson is already a far better player and also has more potential. Think Watson will do well to get near the top 25. Robson could be a top 16 player if she can get that serve ironed out. Should really be doing better with it as its quite fluid and at times huge.

Watson is the better athlete but to be honest I don't see a lot else in her game. Robson has that massive forehand that can hit winners from almost anywhere on the court. Seems to have a better big game temperament as well. Thought Watsons display against Radwanska at Wimbledon last year in the third round was pretty rank whereas Robson has impressed against elite opponents.
    Robson's run at the US Open last year was very impressive, taking out the likes of Li Na and Kim Clijsters (especially in her last ever professional match).

I would actually say that Watson has a better mentality at the moment to be honest and is a little less fragile than Robson but again I don't think there's much between them.

It would be interesting to see them play each other. They've only met once before, in 2011, which Robson won in 3 sets.

Still too early to be making any big predictions though.

Rafael Nadal drops the first set against Martin Klizan.

Big story brewing or just a blip?

Sounds like it was just a blip.

One set all as Rafa levels things up.

Rafa through in four.

4-6 6-3 6-3 6-3.

John Isner in yet another mammoth 5 set game which he lost this time.

That man seems incapable of either winning or losing in a simple 3 sets.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    John Isner in yet another mammoth 5 set game which he lost this time.

That man seems incapable of either winning or losing in a simple 3 sets.
    Thank god the technology has moved the game on. Fifteen years ago a very limited player like Isner would have been a threat at grand slams especially Wimbledon.

After ITV4 went live to it at 5-5 Isner barely threatened the Haas serve and was looking for Haas to fold.

Gilles Simon up 2 sets to 1 after losing the 1st

Would be quite a turnaround for Federer if this went to 5 sets as he went over on his ankle, though the fact that he has - thus far - been on the court for a grand total of 4 hours before this match all tournament might make him the favourite if it goes to a 5th.

Gamer IDs

Federer levels . Simon will be hard pushed to even make the decider competetive in my view.

Just in from work and watching this just now.

Quite shocked that Simon has taken Federer to five sets, regardless of what the outcome is.

Federer currently serving at 4-2 up.

What a game this has been.

Federer serving at 5-3.

It's gone from match point to break point and now to match point again!

Federer through in five, 6-3 in the decider.

He plays Tsonga in the quarter finals.

There has to be a mention for Tommy Robredo as well.

At 31 years old, he becomes the first player in almost 90 years to come back and win from two sets to love down in three consecutive Grand Slam matches.

He'll have his work cut out in the quarter finals though against David Ferrer. He's done well though as it's his best Grand Slam performance for four years.

Gamer IDs

Scheduling at Rolly G is quite bizarre. Lost quite a lot of play to rain yet Federer and Tsonga already in quarters. At Wimbledon 'Magic Monday' has all 32 players involved in the last 16 in action, I think it works quite well although the weather has to hold up the second week. Hope the schedule stands up unlike the US Open where the organisers seem determined to give one half of the draw an advantage.

Still sticking with Novak and can't see past Serena although impressed with Radwanska on Sunday after being quite ordinary before that her best match for a couple of months. Doesn't hit enough winners to trouble SW and MS though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blog...st-tennis.html

Got to be said really like tennis however have grave concerns about some of the top players. For Nadal to come back from 8 months off and be absolutely back to his best has got to be questionable. Also Djokovic who went from a guy struggling to play 3 sets to be able to play full out for 5 sets quite easily is again questionable.

Saw an interview with Jimmy Connors on Sky last week and he said pretty much the same thing with regard to these 2 guys. Personally I think he was insinuating something a bit more sinister to be honest. The link I have put up was quite interesting to me however given the levels of testing is nowhere near other sports I think there is a credibility issue for some.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

Got to be said really like tennis however have grave concerns about some of the top players. For Nadal to come back from 8 months off and be absolutely back to his best has got to be questionable. Also Djokovic who went from a guy struggling to play 3 sets to be able to play full out for 5 sets quite easily is again questionable.

Saw an interview with Jimmy Connors on Sky last week and he said pretty much the same thing with regard to these 2 guys. Personally I think he was insinuating something a bit more sinister to be honest. The link I have put up was quite interesting to me however given the levels of testing is nowhere near other sports I think there is a credibility issue for some.
    Tennis has to get a bit tougher, but think the blogger behind this website is a nut or a cycling fan.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

I would be very surprised if either Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic had taken any illegal substances.

Stunned, in fact.

Some match on just now between Richard Gasquet and Stanislas Wawrinka.

It's into a decider and it's 5-5.

Wawrinka wins 8-6 in the fifth set and comes back from two sets down.

The quarter final draw is complete now;

Novak Djokovic v Tommy Haas
    Rafael Nadal v Stanislas Wawrinka
    Tommy Robredo v David Ferrer
    Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v Roger Federer

Can't see past the top four seeds getting to the semis.

It's a pity that Djokovic and Nadal are probably going to meet in the semis.

I'm going for a Djokovic v Federer final.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Tennis has to get a bit tougher, but think the blogger behind this website is a nut or a cycling fan.
    You are maybe right about the blog however if you had listened to the Connors interview there was IMO a definite edge to what he was saying. When you look at some of the quotes on the site from well respected tennis people I think it is pie in the sky to suggest that tennis doesnt have these issues. When you look at the level of physicality in Djokovic and Nadal games to me it doesnt stack up that they are so much fitter and stronger than the other players especially when as Connors indicated Djokovic was struggling to play 3 sets less than a year before his unbelievable improvement.

To me Nadal is too strong also his game is wonderful but alot of it is based on outstaying the opponent especially on the most taxing surface clay. His recovery from being out for 8 months is again to me highly suspicious. I think there are valid questions to be asked especially when it was highlighted at the Australian open that tennis has much less blood testing than other sports.