hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Rome Masters

Rome Masters

Andy Murray looks likely to be out of the French Open after being forced to retire from his match against Marcel Granollers today at the end of the second set.

Granollers took the opening set but Murray came back from 4-1 down in the second set to win it on a tie-break.

However he immediately informed the umpire that he was retiring from the match and he later revealed to the media that it was unlikely that he would be fit enough to play at the French Open, which begins in 11 days.

It would be disappointing if he had to withdraw from Roland Garros but it also has to throw up some doubts about his fitness ahead of the grass court season, and obviously Wimbledon, which begins in just over a month.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Great match on just now between Rafael Nadal and Ernests Gulbis.

Gulbis blew Nadal out the water in the first set, only just avoiding a 'bagel' set, losing 6-1.

Nadal came back in the second set and won it 7-5.

Gulbis is just about to serve to stay in the match at 4-5 in the decider.

Live now on Sky Sports 2.

Nadal wins 1-6 7-5 6-4.

Rafa's will to win is just unbelievable.

Semi final line up complete;

Rafael Nadal v Tomas Berdych
    Roger Federer v Benoit Paire

Nadal had another three set match against David Ferrer earlier, whilst Berdych knocked Novak Djokovic out in three sets.

Federer has just beaten Jerzy Janowicz in straight sets and he will play Paire, who is playing in a Masters semi final for the first time in his career.

Think it will be another Federer-Nadal final.

If it is, it will be the 30th time that the two of them will have played one another since their first meeting nine years ago and the 20th time that they'll have contested a final.

As expected, the final will be contested by Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.

Despite the emergence of Novak Djokovic over the past couple of years, in my opinion, this is still the biggest match up in tennis.

I can't see past Nadal in this one but you never know.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As expected, the final will be contested by Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.

Despite the emergence of Novak Djokovic over the past couple of years, in my opinion, this is still the biggest match up in tennis.

I can't see past Nadal in this one but you never know.
    Think its only the biggest match up in terms of names. Djokovic-Nadal and Djokovic-Murray are better matches in terms of overall quality. Even Djokovic-Federer seems to be better, Novak sparks something in Roger. Federer was average in 'Federer' terms last night. Still will be well worth a watch.

Fancy Djoker for the French though this is still not the Nadal clay court version of 5 years ago and looks beatable now.
    Last edited by Treadstone; 19-05-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Not much of a contest at the moment as Nadal goes 4-1 up in the first set.

Live coverage now on the red button through Sky Sports 4 until 4pm when it goes onto the main channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think its only the biggest match up in terms of names. Djokovic-Nadal and Djokovic-Murray are better matches in terms of overall quality. Even Djokovic-Federer seems to be better, Novak sparks something in Roger. Federer was average in 'Federer' terms last night. Still will be well worth a watch.

Fancy Djoker for the French though this is still not the Nadal clay court version of 5 years ago and looks beatable now.
    Djokovic-Nadal matches have been excellent, none more so than the Australian Open final last year but I think Nadal-Federer is still the match that most people would want to see.

Can't really see past Nadal for Roland Garros to be honest. I think Djokovic will be there or thereabouts but his early exit last week in Madrid and also this week in Rome won't really bode well for him.

I would never bet against Rafa in a clay court tournament and the way in which he has come back this year after his long injury lay off is just stunning.

First set Nadal, 6-1.

Completely one-sided so far.

6-1 4-1 to Nadal.

A bit more resistance from Federer in the second set but Nadal was far too strong.

6-1 6-3.