hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875

Calling all runners

Looking for a little advice/help if possible.

I've been training for my first marathon for the best part of 6months all has went well lost a good amount of weight, feeling great, fittest I've ever been, but the last 3 weeks my knee has been giving me troubles whilst out running and a few days after (walking down stairs/hills the most pain)

I have been running along the union canal recently just because of mileage and less traffic really and I believe the surface is the cause of my problems as I never felt any issues before whilst running pavements or roads my last run ended at 13miles (was aiming for 20) and I was in real pain for the best part of a week, which is now worrying me ahead of the marathon in nearly 2 weeks time does anyone out there have any tips on how to help this problem? I'd really like to get out and get a big run in next weekend just for confidence (only managed 18miles so far) but I'm concerned if I break down il still be sore on the day itself, I'm also concerned about not making it round on the day too I've worked hard il be gutted if I can't give it everything I've got.

cheers for any help

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking for a little advice/help if possible.

I've been training for my first marathon for the best part of 6months all has went well lost a good amount of weight, feeling great, fittest I've ever been, but the last 3 weeks my knee has been giving me troubles whilst out running and a few days after (walking down stairs/hills the most pain)

I have been running along the union canal recently just because of mileage and less traffic really and I believe the surface is the cause of my problems as I never felt any issues before whilst running pavements or roads my last run ended at 13miles (was aiming for 20) and I was in real pain for the best part of a week, which is now worrying me ahead of the marathon in nearly 2 weeks time does anyone out there have any tips on how to help this problem? I'd really like to get out and get a big run in next weekend just for confidence (only managed 18miles so far) but I'm concerned if I break down il still be sore on the day itself, I'm also concerned about not making it round on the day too I've worked hard il be gutted if I can't give it everything I've got.

cheers for any help
    Does the pain feel skeletal or a tendon/ligament type of pain? I used to road run years ago (25-30 miles a week at times - couldnae do 5 now as the joints are goosed!!) - and it sounds like you need some rest. This may hold back your traning and thus affect yor time on the full race but you cannot keep road-running thorugh joint/knee/hip/back pain. Trust me.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    It'll be too late to change to a different pair of shoes now and to get them broekn in for marathon day, but presumably you're happy with the shoes you have. You can aid recovery with anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen, and I generally take a couple before a long run. You should also do your best to stay hydrated - I find my joints get a bit achy if I do a long run without taking a drink along.

Preparing for a marathon you shouldn't be looking to do your longest runm the week beforehand either - by then you should have built up your stamina and endurance and the last couple of weeks are about maintaining fitness and tapering whilst not causing/aggravating any injuries. You might have a "proper" injury that will stop you taking part but consider some of the abaove and see if it helps on maybe just a ten miler.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Does it hurt more when you walk down hills?

I ask because I had / have an issue with my right knee when I walk a long distance. Going flat and uphill is fine but downhill can be really sore. Had a couple of x-rays, nothing. Had an MRI which showed there was some wear and tear between my femur and patella. No cure except physio. I have been trying to build up my thighs which is supposed to help.
    Last edited by HibsMax; 10-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Does the pain feel skeletal or a tendon/ligament type of pain? I used to road run years ago (25-30 miles a week at times - couldnae do 5 now as the joints are goosed!!) - and it sounds like you need some rest. This may hold back your traning and thus affect yor time on the full race but you cannot keep road-running thorugh joint/knee/hip/back pain. Trust me.
    I think it's tendon/ligament, it begins on the outward facing side of the knee and send sort of shooting pain downwards, when I stop running it feels like the joint is stiffening and the pain is more back of the knee it's very strange, I've been using a foam thing at the gym which does help but only before and after exercise hasn't made a difference to the pain during, although the only time I get this is running..I managed spin classes all week and replacing my treadmill runs with cross trainer was fine too

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    It'll be too late to change to a different pair of shoes now and to get them broekn in for marathon day, but presumably you're happy with the shoes you have. You can aid recovery with anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen, and I generally take a couple before a long run. You should also do your best to stay hydrated - I find my joints get a bit achy if I do a long run without taking a drink along.

Preparing for a marathon you shouldn't be looking to do your longest runm the week beforehand either - by then you should have built up your stamina and endurance and the last couple of weeks are about maintaining fitness and tapering whilst not causing/aggravating any injuries. You might have a "proper" injury that will stop you taking part but consider some of the abaove and see if it helps on maybe just a ten miler.
    Thanks mate, I'm not going to to push for a big run now I realise that's a stupid idea I just feel that turning up on race day even though I've rested up for best part of 3 weeks il always have the worry that this is going to happen at any moment, my trainers are fine have had no problems with them as I said in the OP I've only developed this since I began running along the canal (maybe 3 long distances) so maybe rest and off that type of terrain will help, I will however use the ibuprofen advice maybe even the gel never thought about that

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    Does it hurt more when you walk down hills?

I ask because I had / have an issue with my right knee when I walk a long distance. Going flat and uphill is fine but downhill can be really sore. Had a couple of x-rays, nothing. Had an MRI which showed there was some wear and tear between my femur and patella. No cure except physio. I have been trying to build up my thighs which is supposed to help.
    Yes for some reason hills and stairs only going down seem to give the most trouble. I've been searching the Internet but all the advice on dr.google is contradicted by the next article

I think it's tendon/ligament, it begins on the outward facing side of the knee and send sort of shooting pain downwards, when I stop running it feels like the joint is stiffening and the pain is more back of the knee it's very strange, I've been using a foam thing at the gym which does help but only before and after exercise hasn't made a difference to the pain during, although the only time I get this is running..I managed spin classes all week and replacing my treadmill runs with cross trainer was fine too
    Yes for some reason hills and stairs only going down seem to give the most trouble. I've been searching the Internet but all the advice on dr.google is contradicted by the next article
    It's time to go and see a physio IMHO.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    It's time to go and see a physio IMHO.
    Yeh think you're right I've booked in for a sports massage and bought myself a support bandage as I'm not pulling out of running I've worked too hard so I'm giving it a shot, the next step will be physio so at some point I can try again, thanks for your help mate

Yeh think you're right I've booked in for a sports massage and bought myself a support bandage as I'm not pulling out of running I've worked too hard so I'm giving it a shot, the next step will be physio so at some point I can try again, thanks for your help mate
    Sounds like a plan - good luck!

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Just incase anyone has or gets any similar issues in my OP these straps helped me massively

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Large-...ial+band+strap

Gamer IDs

This is what I was diagnosed with. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be "fixed" with the band linked above.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patel..._pain_syndrome

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

This is what I was diagnosed with. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be "fixed" with the band linked above.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patel..._pain_syndrome
    That sounds like something different to me mate, sorry the bands didn't help, the physio I saw reckons this is what's bothering me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome.

i bought those straps posted above and a foam roller which basically does the job of the sports massage I got before I ran the marathon

hope you get some relief soon mate

Gamer IDs

That sounds like something different to me mate, sorry the bands didn't help, the physio I saw reckons this is what's bothering me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome.

i bought those straps posted above and a foam roller which basically does the job of the sports massage I got before I ran the marathon

hope you get some relief soon mate
    I ordered something off Amazon that appears to be similar to what you got. It's an adjustable band that wraps around the knee (just below the knee according to the photo) and hopefully that will work. I get it tomorrow so will put it to the test this weekend.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

I ordered something off Amazon that appears to be similar to what you got. It's an adjustable band that wraps around the knee (just below the knee according to the photo) and hopefully that will work. I get it tomorrow so will put it to the test this weekend.
    Goodluck with it mate

I'm a runner and I have a similar problem. The physic told me it was because my glute in the affected leg was weak and that my quads were very tight. He gave me stretches and some strengthening exercises to do which seem to have relieved the pain day to day. I've only just started running again and haven't been any great distance but seems to be pain free at the moment. I would definitely go to the physio ASAP I tried to run through the pain for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure this made things a fair bit worse.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by sansiro86 View Post
    I'm a runner and I have a similar problem. The physic told me it was because my glute in the affected leg was weak and that my quads were very tight. He gave me stretches and some strengthening exercises to do which seem to have relieved the pain day to day. I've only just started running again and haven't been any great distance but seems to be pain free at the moment. I would definitely go to the physio ASAP I tried to run through the pain for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure this made things a fair bit worse.
    That is roughly the same advice I received for my diagnosis of patellofemural injury. I started cycling earlier this year in an effort to strengthen my legs a little and I plan on adding real strength exercises to that regimen as well. I also bought a strap from Amazon which offers support under my kneecap, I will test that this weekend with a longer walk if the weather is totally crap.

I injured my knee while training for a marathon around 10 years ago. I was beginning to up the distance to ~10m and knee started to hurt. It was a real shooting pain, pretty painful.

I ended up going to see a physio at the Pleasance who told me it was because I had flat feet and **** running shoes. They gave me some insoles and I always buy decent running shoes now. I still have the in-soles and haven't had any trouble since.

In terms of how far you should run before the marathon, I think anything over 15m is enough. All the magazines advise that you drop your training in the 2 weeks before. But if you're still hurting, I'd seriously consider deferring the entry until next year so you don't make your injury worse.

Hope your injury gets better and good luck in the marathon if you decide to run.