hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Both of my teams have been utterly, utterly awful this season!

Here's to 2016

At least my own team made it to the 2015 British Baseball Federation Final this year and we have our prizegiving ceremony on Saturday!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both of my teams have been utterly, utterly awful this season!

Here's to 2016

At least my own team made it to the 2015 British Baseball Federation Final this year and we have our prizegiving ceremony on Saturday!
    Follow the cubbies for the playoffs then!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Follow the cubbies for the playoffs then!
    I'm just going to enjoy the spectacle as a neutral!

It would be nice if their duck finally broke though - would maybe give me hope that a Scottish Cup win might be possible in my lifetime

I gather Cubs are going for the wild card and trying to get home advantage in that game. They are leading Reds 5-0 at the moment.

i am an Indians fan since their 1980s big years but have not connected with baseball for a while.

Reds seem to be fighting back.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Reds seem to be fighting back.
    Could really do with you guys doing us a favour and winning the final two games!

edit...Just one more please Reds!

Amazing 5 run 9th from the Angels last night,still in the mix.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 04-10-2015 at 09:35 AM.

the dude with the beard vs Tanaka should be good in the AL wild card tonight, I fancy the Yankees but I won't be staying up for it, I'm saving myself for The Cubs at Pittsburgh tomorrow. Anyone else watching?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Can't wait for Dodgers Mets division series. National league pitching looks far superior to anything the AL can muster so hopefully NLDS and NLCS are favourable times for UK watchers.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    the dude with the beard vs Tanaka should be good in the AL wild card tonight, I fancy the Yankees but I won't be staying up for it, I'm saving myself for The Cubs at Pittsburgh tomorrow. Anyone else watching?
    Avoiding it tonight, watching it 'as live' tomorrow morning :)

Have to feel sorry for the Pirates - great season rewarded with a game against Jake Arrietta - that guy is untouchable.

Not sure what to think of our season finish, played it safe with our pitchers but Cespedes' form the past few weeks has been troubling. Happy to be in playoffs though. As a Jet, Met and Islander fan this doesn't happen too often

Quote Originally Posted by AyrshireHibs View Post
    Have to feel sorry for the Pirates - great season rewarded with a game against Jake Arrietta - that guy is untouchable.

Not sure what to think of our season finish, played it safe with our pitchers but Cespedes' form the past few weeks has been troubling. Happy to be in playoffs though. As a Jet, Met and Islander fan this doesn't happen too often
    I don't think anyone expected Arrieta to be where he is now, especially when we paid all that money for John Lester in the summer. The second half of the season especially he's been fantastic, as you say untouchable. I'm not getting carried away though, he has to prove he's a postseason player first.

poor old Yankees, 5 straight postseason losses

Gamer IDs

Arrieta first post season pitcher with double digit strikeouts and no walks in a shutout. That stat is unbelievable.
    Cubs will only be able to run him out once against Cards. Wonder if Joe Maddon will put the eggs in Lester winning game one and Arrieta and Lester on full rest to clinch in four and five ?

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Arrieta first post season pitcher with double digit strikeouts and no walks in a shutout. That stat is unbelievable.
    Cubs will only be able to run him out once against Cards. Wonder if Joe Maddon will put the eggs in Lester winning game one and Arrieta and Lester on full rest to clinch in four and five ?
    id guess he'll want his top man back in the rotation as soon as possible, so he'll shuffle it so Arrieta comes back for game 3 at Wrigley Field. It'll go Arrieta, Lester for game 1, Hendricks game 2, Arrieta game 3, and Lester back again for game 4 or game 5 if needed. It really was tremendous last night. I'm not that knowledgeable about the technical stuff, but his slider looks exactly the same as his fastball so I have no idea how a batter can hope to track the balls flight at 90 mph. He plays for the Cubs though so I'm sure he'll find some way of ****ing up in the playoffs

Toronto and Texas next up.

Cubbies!!!

Texas 4-1 up on Toronto in the 5th inning. Blue Jays pitcher Price looking like he's not handling the pressure.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 08-10-2015 at 09:13 PM.

This is what I love about baseball - anyone can win it when we get to the playoffs. A few injury concerns already for the Blue Jays, Bautista has left the game.

5-3 Texas game 1. Not much excitement really, Beltres injury looked a sore one.

Astros take game one against the Royals

Wall to wall baseball tonight. Texas and Toronto game 2 tied at 4 each into the 8th inning. Astros and Royals start shortly, then its the Cubs Dirty Birds game 1 at 11:45 and Mets Dodgers at stupid oclock our time.

Wishing I had controlled over the remote
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 09-10-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Heartache for the Blue Jays as they lose in the fourteenth and a big eighth inning finishes off the Cubs. Shame as I'm kind of warming to them as newcomer to the sport...they remind me of a football team I like.

No TV so it's text updates for the Dodgers Mets game.

Lester pitched well but the result was never really in doubtful once they started getting after the relief pitcher.

DeGrom struck out 13 in his first ever playoff performance. Equaled Tom Seaver's club record. Next up Syndergaard V Grienke!

Cubs are teeing off on the Cards. 5-1 in the second.

So it's all tied at 1-1 in both NLDS.On Monday Game 3 moves to Wrigley and Jake Arrieta returns. Texas leading Toronto 2-0 and Houston and Kansas City at 1-1 in the ALDS, which continue tonight.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 11-10-2015 at 06:36 AM.

Chase Utley = absolute cretin. Pulled this type of stuff all the time on us when he was at Philly. Tejada now out for the postseason with a leg break. Expecting a bit of retribution at CitiField on Monday if he isn't suspended.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by AyrshireHibs View Post
    Chase Utley = absolute cretin. Pulled this type of stuff all the time on us when he was at Philly. Tejada now out for the postseason with a leg break. Expecting a bit of retribution at CitiField on Monday if he isn't suspended.
    Couldn't agree more. He started his slide AT the bag (not before, which is fine) and he was well clear of the bag (to the side) with no effort to touch it, making it obvious he was going out of his way to hit Tejada.

Like you, I'd expect some retribution on Monday probably with his first AB and it'll be a fastball = benches cleared.

Gamer IDs

Couldn't agree more. He started his slide AT the bag (not before, which is fine) and he was well clear of the bag (to the side) with no effort to touch it, making it obvious he was going out of his way to hit Tejada.

Like you, I'd expect some retribution on Monday probably with his first AB and it'll be a fastball = benches cleared.
    Depends on game situation. Doubt the Mets would hit him if there were base runners. Utley hasn't been in starting line-up in first two games so doubt Mattingly would introduce him in a scenario where it's a no brainer for Mets to drill him. Gonzalez on other hand might get a bit nervous in 1st inning if two out and nobody on.

The neighbourhood law has to go. Gives a license for this type of play. Seriously outdated.

I've just watched it, a definite sore one.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Depends on game situation. Doubt the Mets would hit him if there were base runners. Utley hasn't been in starting line-up in first two games so doubt Mattingly would introduce him in a scenario where it's a no brainer for Mets to drill him. Gonzalez on other hand might get a bit nervous in 1st inning if two out and nobody on.

The neighbourhood law has to go. Gives a license for this type of play. Seriously outdated.
    Undoubtedly but if the opportunity arises, I've little doubt they'll go after him. If he arrives at the plate with no runners on he'll know what's coming. It's certainly picked the game I'm going to watch this evening anyway as it should be a tasty encounter

Utley suspended games 3 & 4 barring an appeal. I think the MLB are doing him a favour here as he'd be in for a hell of a time at Citi this week. Still doesn't take away from the fact that we possibly could have won that game if it had been a double play and we've lost our best defensive short stop.

Winning now becomes the best revenge - Harvey & Matz should get the job done.