hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Best SUV or 4x4

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff

Best SUV or 4x4

Ok folks this might be a really random question but does anyone own or have experience owning or driving an SUV?
    have had a few hire cars and for some reason most were SUVs. and I now want to own one. My personal choices are Volkswagon Tiguan or the Kia Sportage. As bpth fit my price range (14000/18000).
    Anyone own one of these or something similar some advice would be great. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nissan qashqai + 2 Ntec 4WD

Fantastic car. Great in snow and ice, great equipment and space and really good price. Not too big but compromise SUV. Only two model specs are 4wD as most 2wD but worth getting as its rock solid. We got £4k of new price.

Testimonial Due
    Bmw x1 xdrive. I have a nice 12 plate for sale.

Left by mutual consent!
    I had a Honda CRV up until last year, cannae fault it and you can pick up a cracker for the dosh you have available.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    About to throw a spanner in the works:

I was after an SUV a couple of years back, I wanted it for 4WD capability in result of the couple of bad winters we had, wife wanted it for road presence?!?
    Anyway, after spending months looking at ix35's, RAV4's, Kuga's, Jukes/Qashqais,,,,,I ended up buying a Skoda Octavia Scout.
    Never, EVER thought I'd buy a Skoda but never looked back. It is basically an Audi A4 Allroad with a Skoda badge, Slightly raised ride height, Haldex AWD, largest boot in its class and it seems to have held on to its value!
    The Scout is not an SUV but it ticks most of the box's an SUV would!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok folks this might be a really random question but does anyone own or have experience owning or driving an SUV?
    have had a few hire cars and for some reason most were SUVs. and I now want to own one. My personal choices are Volkswagon Tiguan or the Kia Sportage. As bpth fit my price range (14000/18000).

They are sh*t for the environment, and because of the higher bumper, more likely to kill or seriously injure a child than 'normal' cars. So do yourself and the world a favour and don't buy one.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    They are sh*t for the environment, and because of the higher bumper, more likely to kill or seriously injure a child than 'normal' cars. So do yourself and the world a favour and don't buy one.
    Oh dear.

Gamer IDs

are you being serious here? while i can see the point about emissions (although these days its better tgan a 20 year old land rocer defender) but more likely to hit and kill a child??? bulls**t. the car is not the killer the lapse in concentration or awareness by the driver. pretty sure their would be minimal differences between being plowed into by a corsa or fiesta at 30mph than a tiguan or a bmw x3. granted higher bumper will mean possible headshot but smaller bumper will equate to rag doll hit. which will cause broken necks backs etc. This however is an opinion and not to be taken out of context. All I asked was is their a reliable economical suv for commuting. I did not ask if I was allowed to buy one. Now back to radio5 live to complain with the rest of the pc brigade :banghead:

Just, wow
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post

I'm on my second Ford Kuga - love 'em. I have the 4WD - loves the snow/ice.

I will most likely go for the new model next year as I cannot fault them.

Regarded, as a better drive than the two you listed but they are not as cheap as the Kia.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    About to throw a spanner in the works:

I was after an SUV a couple of years back, I wanted it for 4WD capability in result of the couple of bad winters we had, wife wanted it for road presence?!?
    Anyway, after spending months looking at ix35's, RAV4's, Kuga's, Jukes/Qashqais,,,,,I ended up buying a Skoda Octavia Scout.
    Never, EVER thought I'd buy a Skoda but never looked back. It is basically an Audi A4 Allroad with a Skoda badge, Slightly raised ride height, Haldex AWD, largest boot in its class and it seems to have held on to its value!
    The Scout is not an SUV but it ticks most of the box's an SUV would!
    I went for the 4x4 Skoda Superb Estate. Amazing car and cheaper than its equivalents. Never thought I'd buy one either but made sense!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    I'm on my second Ford Kuga - love 'em. I have the 4WD - loves the snow/ice.

I will most likely go for the new model next year as I cannot fault them.

Regarded, as a better drive than the two you listed but they are not as cheap as the Kia.
    see i like the kuga a lot. it looks great and i tested one last week. what a great wee drive. smooth over the crappy midlothian B roads. its winning me over and on highet purchase works out at a fraction better value than the volkswagon :)