hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MixuPutALineOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly dont get folk on here. So it happened to them when they were a child/teenager/young adult, so what?! Its not acceptable to go to a football match and get punched. What about the young kids at the game that may have see this happen?
    What about other crimes that happen outside football grounds, is it ok for somebody's defence to be "well when I was a kid it happened to me" is that then acceptable?
    Won't someone think of the children...

I think folk are getting a wee bit dramatic about this incident. The assaulter was wrong and will probably be punished, the lippy guy was wrong and the lippy guy's Dad was wrong but we've had folk talking about it causing a major incident because of the angle of the East and worrying about the effect on kids.
    Last edited by Beefster; 15-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    I've just had a chance to read this thread .. and in all honesty probably shouldn't go any near it given the divided opinions and how heated it has been ... but ..

I won't comment on the incident itself as I never witnessed it and it wouldn't be fair to pass judgement on either party .. but the thread itself has thrown up quite a few interesting points for debate.

Firstly, violence is wrong. Lets make that clear from the outset.

In the past I would have had no qualms about "skelping" someone for being mouthy, but it was still wrong and I'll make no attempt to defend it.
    However, publicly abusing someone (for whatever reason) is just as wrong and could, depending on the individual, cause varying levels of mental anguish.

If I was at a game and my son started to verbally abuse someone, there would be no need for them to get "lamped" because they'd already be on the end of a lashing from my tongue. Irrespective of your views on peoples behaviour you don't verbally abuse them in a public place .. in the same way that irrespective of the abuse you receive you do not hit anyone.

I am also pretty sure that there will have been quite a few of us that have been victims (be it however little) of the anti-social behaviour and lack of respect from youngsters today. Maybe it's just us older ones, to whom the social changes are more apparent, that get wound up the most by it .. but I'd be lying if the thought of "skelping" a youngster (late teens) for their "anti-social behaviour" had never crossed my mind.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    I've just had a chance to read this thread .. and in all honesty probably shouldn't go any near it given the divided opinions and how heated it has been ... but ..

I won't comment on the incident itself as I never witnessed it and it wouldn't be fair to pass judgement on either party .. but the thread itself has thrown up quite a few interesting points for debate.

In the past I would have had no qualms about "skelping" someone for being mouthy, but it was still wrong and I'll make no attempt to defend it.
    However, publicly abusing someone (for whatever reason) is just as wrong and could, depending on the individual, cause varying levels of mental anguish.

If I was at a game and my son started to verbally abuse someone, there would be no need for them to get "lamped" because they'd already be on the end of a lashing from my tongue. Irrespective of your views on peoples behaviour you don't verbally abuse them in a public place .. in the same way that irrespective of the abuse you receive you do not hit anyone.

I am also pretty sure that there will have been quite a few of us that have been victims (be it however little) of the anti-social behaviour and lack of respect from youngsters today. Maybe it's just us older ones, to whom the social changes are more apparent, that get wound up the most by it .. but I'd be lying if the thought of "skelping" a youngster (late teens) for their "anti-social behaviour" had never crossed my mind.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

...but I'd be lying if the thought of "skelping" a youngster (late teens) for their "anti-social behaviour" had never crossed my mind.
    I'm only 25 and I think about skelping some 15-18 year olds ! What with their "tweets" and their "facebooks"

Not in my day !

Outrageous! Just imagine if a player came into the crowd and skelped a supporter for being lippy?* And I’m just thinking of our own players!!! There would never be a player on the pitch!! And after all the bans we might not be able to field a team for a few seasons!

If the older guy cant control himself without resorting to violence as the first resort then he should avoid situations where that might be a possibility; like in public places and definitely at football matches. He should also seek medical help.

* Manchester United's Eric Cantona has been fined £20,000 and banned from playing football over his kung fu-style attack on a fan.
    The club has relegated the French star striker to the bench for nine months for lashing out at a fan in the front row during a game against Crystal Palace.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Outrageous! Just imagine if a player came into the crowd and skelped a supporter for being lippy?* And I’m just thinking of our own players!!! There would never be a player on the pitch!! And after all the bans we might not be able to field a team for a few seasons!

If the older guy cant control himself without resorting to violence as the first resort then he should avoid situations where that might be a possibility; like in public places and definitely at football matches. He should also seek medical help.

* Manchester United's Eric Cantona has been fined £20,000 and banned from playing football over his kung fu-style attack on a fan.
    The club has relegated the French star striker to the bench for nine months for lashing out at a fan in the front row during a game against Crystal Palace.
    Sorry but I don't go to watch Hibs and expect someone to mouth of at me. The guy who hit the ned shouldn't either.

As someone of a similar vintage, I concur about today's youth .. however, the bit in bold is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Sorry but I don't go to watch Hibs and expect someone to mouth of at me. The guy who hit the ned shouldn't either.
    True. However you don't resort to belting someone in the face who is sitting in the same stand as you because someone has said something you don't like. A man in his 30s or 40s punching a teenager is nothing but bullying and thuggery and he deserves everything that's hopefully coming to him (Charged by the police and a Banning Order from Easter Road and all other football grounds). No sympathy for idiots who resort to brain dead actions.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    Is that you Rod ?

Mikey is the real rod :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Nor do I but I might expect as a minimum, if there was any justification whatsoever, the older guy would hit the right someone/‘ned’. Its bloody ridiculous, it’s a disgrace, that some folk see it as OK to lamp someone just because they happen to be in range. This guy appears to be too handy with his fist and none of us are safe if that’s his standard way of dealing with conflict.
    Space to let

Left by mutual consent!
    Nor do I but I might expect as a minimum, if there was any justification whatsoever, the older guy would hit the right someone/‘ned’. Its bloody ridiculous, it’s a disgrace, that some folk see it as OK to lamp someone just because they happen to be in range. This guy appears to be too handy with his fist and none of us are safe if that’s his standard way of dealing with conflict.
    That's only the account of the victim, and he would say that he was innocent to his family. Nobody gets punched for nothing.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I know nothing about the incident that took place so I'm not going to comment on it.

What I will say however is kids / youths are far cheekier than we were at the same age.

The cheek I hear kids giving their elders is nothing short of terrible however they know will get away with it because the law is on their side.

They can scratch keys up and down someone's car but if the owner shouts or heaven forbid lifts his hands then they will end up in court and be dealt with.

When I was a laddie we had a village bobby and if he caught you doing something wrong he would give you a hard kick in the backside and that would be the end of it. Did we go for Police brutality? Did we f*** because we knew we were in the wrong. Did we tell our parents? Did we f*** or we would have got another kick up the backside.

I'm not suggesting adults form vigilante groups assaulting cheeky kids but they would never have got away with it in ma day.

We're doomed a tell ye.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
    That's only the account of the victim, and he would say that he was innocent to his family. Nobody gets punched for nothing.
    I think its been established from a few folk that the guy with the gob :O and the guy with the broken beak :'( are not the same person/ ned/ someone/ whatever.
    Last edited by Jack; 15-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think its been established from a few folk that the guy with the gob :O and the guy with the broken beak :'( are not the same person/ ned/ someone/ whatever.
    Depending on who's story you are believing. I don't believe some mad radge decided to start hitting random and innocent people. Such people belong in institutions and usually are in them.

The reality is much more simple.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
    Really?

and still it runs (the thread, not his nose)...is there no end to this investigation into the nose bending fugitive as he attempts to escape justice at the hands of the .net vigilante mob..its like an never ending game of cluedo with the cast of .net being the clueless contestants and the culprit hiding in the conservatory behind colonel mustard with the candlestick in his bloodsoaked hands..

it appears to be my turn so i'll make a guess based on the fact the culprit always returns to the scene of the crime..
    ehhh..is it blackpool hibs with a knuckle duster in the dining room?

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I know nothing about the incident that took place so I'm not going to comment on it.

What I will say however is kids / youths are far cheekier than we were at the same age.

The cheek I hear kids giving their elders is nothing short of terrible however they know will get away with it because the law is on their side.

They can scratch keys up and down someone's car but if the owner shouts or heaven forbid lifts his hands then they will end up in court and be dealt with.

When I was a laddie we had a village bobby and if he caught you doing something wrong he would give you a hard kick in the backside and that would be the end of it. Did we go for Police brutality? Did we f*** because we knew we were in the wrong. Did we tell our parents? Did we f*** or we would have got another kick up the backside.

I'm not suggesting adults form vigilante groups assaulting cheeky kids but they would never have got away with it in ma day.

We're doomed a tell ye.
    Are you honestly suggesting that being cheeky is reason enough to commit violence and would thus improve our society?

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    Really?
    It's one of the daftest statements ever made on here.

Plenty of people get punched for nothing.

Really?

where have you been?...i waited for half an hour at the bike sheds for you..

Are you honestly suggesting that being cheeky is reason enough to commit violence and would thus improve our society?
    Eh no.

What I am saying is that youngsters get away with a helluva lot these days.

I suppose if you caught kids scratching your car or tanning your windows you would go out and congratulate them and give them a bar of chocolate.

Our society is much worse now than when I was a kid and I think it will get worse before it gets better.

When I was younger older guys used to say we don't know how lucky we were not having to do National Service, telling us that would have made us better people and brought us into line. I thought I would have hated it and it was barbaric but now I can see where the old guys were coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    where have you been?...i waited for half an hour at the bike sheds for you..
    I'm not that sort of boy. And anyway I have a girlfriend already.

First Team Breakthrough jon paul jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diz-Astro View Post
    Cannot believe some folk think its ok to dish out vigilante violence to youngsters!!!?

For many reasons i think that's the wrong way to deal with a situation.

But also when you take into account that this kicked off in the really steep East stand.

If it escalated into a big brawl someone could have got badly injured or worse.

Very good point!!!

If a fight does escalate, the club may take the viewpoint that the standing area doesnt work and take a more authoritarian stance again. I genuinely wouldnt go to the games if I was told to sit down and it was enforced by security and culture around me...

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    and still it runs (the thread, not his nose)...is there no end to this investigation into the nose bending fugitive as he attempts to escape justice at the hands of the .net vigilante mob..its like an never ending game of cluedo with the cast of .net being the clueless contestants and the culprit hiding in the conservatory behind colonel mustard with the candlestick in his bloodsoaked hands..

it appears to be my turn so i'll make a guess based on the fact the culprit always returns to the scene of the crime..
    ehhh..is it blackpool hibs with a knuckle duster in the dining room?
    I think the butler did it

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Eh no.

What I am saying is that youngsters get away with a helluva lot these days.

I suppose if you caught kids scratching your car or tanning your windows you would go out and congratulate them and give them a bar of chocolate.

Our society is much worse now than when I was a kid and I think it will get worse before it gets better.

When I was younger older guys used to say we don't know how lucky we were not having to do National Service, telling us that would have made us better people and brought us into line. I thought I would have hated it and it was barbaric but now I can see where the old guys were coming from.
    You're right, if I caught someone damaging my property then my reaction is very likely to be different to that of being mouthed off at.

I also share your belief that some form of national service might have been of help in teaching kids manners and respect of others (it was probably my saving grace).

The problem in my opinion lies with parenting. Too many parents leave discipline out of their responsibilities and expect society in particular schools to deal with the problem. This can never work due to at least 2 reasons. 1. Schools are there to educate and not discipline and spend too much valuable time having to correct the mistakes of lackluster parenting when they should be teaching the kids. 2. What's right and what's wrong is about values and this needs to be instilled at a pre school age to be of any value and for strangers to be allowed to discipline other peoples kids is a very dangerous development. We've had this in the part and it leaves kids open to all sorts of abuse as we've witnessed in the past.

Here's my version of events.

Angry man *walks out*
    Punched Boys mate; dinny bother coming back ya prick.
    Angry man; what the **** you saying. In the direction of punched boy and punched boys mate.
    Punched boy; *stands up* I never said ****all to you. In aggressive tone.
    Angry man; shut the **** up. Angry man punches punched boy.

Seen this type of **** a million times.

Really, who cares. As for the namby pamby on here. Violence can, and does, sort people out and keep them from being ***** in future.

The witch hunt on here could see this guy get charged and possibly lose their job all because of a heat of the argument moment with a couple of cheeky idiots.

Jesus H Christ.

You're right, if I caught someone damaging my property then my reaction is very likely to be different to that of being mouthed off at.

I also share your belief that some form of national service might have been of help in teaching kids manners and respect of others (it was probably my saving grace).

The problem in my opinion lies with parenting. Too many parents leave discipline out of their responsibilities and expect society in particular schools to deal with the problem. This can never work due to at least 2 reasons. 1. Schools are there to educate and not discipline and spend too much valuable time having to correct the mistakes of lackluster parenting when they should be teaching the kids. 2. What's right and what's wrong is about values and this needs to be instilled at a pre school age to be of any value and for strangers to be allowed to discipline other peoples kids is a very dangerous development. We've had this in the part and it leaves kids open to all sorts of abuse as we've witnessed in the past.
    Excellent post guv.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackie View Post
    Here's my version of events.

Angry man *walks out*
    Punched Boys mate; dinny bother coming back ya prick.
    Angry man; what the **** you saying. In the direction of punched boy and punched boys mate.
    Punched boy; *stands up* I never said ****all to you. In aggressive tone.
    Angry man; shut the **** up. Angry man punches punched boy.

Seen this type of **** a million times.

Really, who cares. As for the namby pamby on here. Violence can, and does, sort people out and keep them from being ***** in future.

The witch hunt on here could see this guy get charged and possibly lose their job all because of a heat of the argument moment with a couple of cheeky idiots.

Jesus H Christ.
    Unfortunately, the facts don't bear this out.

Long and short of it, boys handed himself in to the club and is to meet with the police on Monday.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HOUSEkid
    Quote Originally Posted by thehappyhibee View Post

Long and short of it, boys handed himself in to the club and is to meet with the police on Monday.

Good - you don't hit people. Especially a fellow Hibee.

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyhibee View Post

Glad he handed himself in, hopefully justice is served.

Quote Originally Posted by MixuPutALineOn View Post
    Glad he handed himself in, hopefully justice is served.
    I sometimes leave before the end of the game, for various reasons.
    If I was accused of being a part-timer by some callow youth I would merely give a cheery rejoinder, to the effect that even part-time support, was more generous than the display merited, adding - young fellow m'lad. Such is the way of the West stand.