hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: golf 2013

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    First round if championship this morning, I've came down 0.9 in my last two rounds. More of the same please :)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Got into golf recently. Bought a cheapish set and been playing a few rounds at my local 9 hole course for some practice.

Compared to you guys I am probably terrible but I am getting better and better each time. Pulling off some really nice shots but there is the occasional blunder. I've always been okay with irons, it was mainly my drives and putting but they have come on leaps and bounds. Want to try out some more courses though!

Par - 35
    Rd 1 - 54
    Rd 2 - 50
    Rd 3 - 50
    Rd 4 - 50
    Rd 5 - 48
    Rd 6 - 45

Not great I know but I'm getting better, theres progress almost every time and I'm loving playing. Feel like I could go all day.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got into golf recently. Bought a cheapish set and been playing a few rounds at my local 9 hole course for some practice.

Compared to you guys I am probably terrible but I am getting better and better each time. Pulling off some really nice shots but there is the occasional blunder. I've always been okay with irons, it was mainly my drives and putting but they have come on leaps and bounds. Want to try out some more courses though!

Par - 35
    Rd 1 - 54
    Rd 2 - 50
    Rd 3 - 50
    Rd 4 - 50
    Rd 5 - 48
    Rd 6 - 45

Not great I know but I'm getting better, theres progress almost every time and I'm loving playing. Feel like I could go all day.
    Good for you - practice makes perfection or so I'm told!

Enjoyment should be the name of the game and the great thing about golf is that every single round you play will always be different. You can be driven to the depths of despair one day then up in the clouds with elation the next round you play. The game offers the eternal challenge and there lies the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Good for you - practice makes perfection or so I'm told!

Enjoyment should be the name of the game and the great thing about golf is that every single round you play will always be different. You can be driven to the depths of despair one day then up in the clouds with elation the next round you play. The game offers the eternal challenge and there lies the magic.
    And what keeps you going back for more :)

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Had a singles tie on Friday and got emptied on the last. Had to give away 14 shots and his nett eagle on the 18th wrapped things up. Fared better yesterday in 2nd round of championship qualifying shooting 72. Started with four straight bogies which was far from ideal but settled down and managed to claw a couple of shots back. Made the qualifying and point one off the handicap so happy with the day's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Had a singles tie on Friday and got emptied on the last. Had to give away 14 shots and his nett eagle on the 18th wrapped things up. Fared better yesterday in 2nd round of championship qualifying shooting 72. Started with four straight bogies which was far from ideal but settled down and managed to claw a couple of shots back. Made the qualifying and point one off the handicap so happy with the day's work.
    So I guess we'll be having an all Hibby final this year Dave!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Decent weekend for me. My mojo is definately back.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post

Par - 35
    Rd 1 - 54
    Rd 2 - 50
    Rd 3 - 50
    Rd 4 - 50
    Rd 5 - 48
    Rd 6 - 45

Good for you my man! Keep at it.

To assist here is a link to my golf guru - his videos help when a part of my game needs work - http://www.rickardstrongert.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Decent weekend for me. My mojo is definately back.
    So you're the bassa that took it from me!!!

I played in an open Tournament today and without a word of a lie I had 17 x 2 inch putts! The only hole I missed was at a par 3 where I managed to slam in a mammoth 4 footer for a bogey!

This friggin game drives me nuts at times - I'm now on official suicide watch.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Being unemployed just now is letting me get a fair bit of golf in, been plaing a lot between Baberton and Kingsknowe however just been invited to play the Queens Course up at Gleaneagles tomorrow. First for me up there, any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Being unemployed just now is letting me get a fair bit of golf in, been plaing a lot between Baberton and Kingsknowe however just been invited to play the Queens Course up at Gleaneagles tomorrow. First for me up there, any advice?
    Nice course - it's not as 'stuffy' a place as one might imagine. You'll have a ball.

Any pay as you play courses in Midlothian where you can just turn up without having to book prior? Full 18s not 9 holes please

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Nice course - it's not as 'stuffy' a place as one might imagine. You'll have a ball.
    A ball would be an understatement, great day out, course in great nick and helped by me hitting the ball pretty well.

Wee update. Same course.

Hit a 40 the other day which isn't too bad! Got even better though today, over playing the 9 twice ended up only 3 over. First 9 hit 37 and 36 second time around. Absolutely delighted with that. Need to play some other courses though and see how I go, I've really learned the 9 hole course well over the past few weeks.

Net +2 yesterday .. cannot hole a decent putt! I'm struggling to put any decent run together - best yesterday was a run of three pars (all scrambled). Taking next weekend aff to clear ma heid of the rubbish!

Played in an Open Tournament at Dunbar on Saturday and missed the buffer by one but got cut by point 2 over my home course yesterday.

The wee bassa is on his way back.

Missed out on the club championships, but made it through to the internal clubs knockout stages with a decent first round. My laddie made it all the way to the final where he came across a player too strong for him (7 less of a handicap) , great experience for him though!!

Played in an Open Tournament at Dunbar on Saturday and missed the buffer by one but got cut by point 2 over my home course yesterday.

The wee bassa is on his way back.

I plumped for Mouse Valley as it us a whole lot closer for me. Big mistake. Poor greens didn't help but an absolute beast in those conditions on Saturday. Particular the front nine.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Missed out on the club championships, but made it through to the internal clubs knockout stages with a decent first round. My laddie made it all the way to the final where he came across a player too strong for him (7 less of a handicap) , great experience for him though!!
    Royaly humped last night, last throw of the dice tonight in the 4th round of the clubs foursomes. If the swing stays the same I think I'll admit defeat and go back to bowling next year :(

Nearly. So very nearly today.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Had a good day on the course yesterday, and pleased to say that the Scratch Cup at The Peebles Open can be placed in the Hibs.Net trophy cabinet.

A double bogey at the second, a bogey at the 7th then a birdie at the 9th before what was to be an eventful back nine.. From there in I went par, birdie, par, birdie, quintuple bogey!!!, birdie, birdie, par, birdie. At the 14th I was too steery off the tee into the strong crosswind and as a result made two bad swings with two tee shots disappearing into a heavy plantation right with a painful 9 being carded. Pleased to recover from that and finish like I did, signing for a 72 ensuring a win on the bih and a handy voucher for £100.

Hopefully the Hibs.Net golfers can add more to the trophy cabinet as the season goes on

Good news/common sense prevails - http://www.bunkered.co.uk/index.php?cID=2073

4 down at the turn Monday night, and wins on 18

I am gonna murder the course soon! Mon the Big Man!

I played in an Open Tournament at THE ROXBURGHE (near Kelso) today in absolutely baking conditions. The course itself was in first class condition and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Unfortunately the standard of my golf was not in keeping with the surroundings and I shot an eight over par 80 (40 for each half with nothing higher than a five on my card.) I'm striking the ball solidly but going through a phase where I've lost the art of scoring.

It's so bloody frustrating!!

I played in an Open Tournament at THE ROXBURGHE (near Kelso) today in absolutely baking conditions. The course itself was in first class condition and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Unfortunately the standard of my golf was not in keeping with the surroundings and I shot an eight over par 80 (40 for each half with nothing higher than a five on my card.) I'm striking the ball solidly but going through a phase where I've lost the art of scoring.

It's so bloody frustrating!!

The Roxburghe is a great track. I usually play their duffers open but missed it due to my daughters graduation ceremony.
    Mini tour coming up this week. Castle Park tomorrow. Harburn Medal Wed. Colville Park Thursday. Harburn both days at weekend and. Lanark next Wednesday.

First Team Breakthrough PerthHibby's Avatar
    Played Spey Valley and Boat of Garten at the weekend, used the bunkered voucher for Spey valley so a decent weekends golf for a bargin price.
    Both courses were superb, Boat of Garten being the better of the two in my opinion.
    Runner up both days

Looking forward to muirfield next week.......Jason Day for me To lift the claret jug, would love Grant Forrest to win silver medal.

Played at the weekend and my scoring was as follows (i swear i'm not making this up!)

5 bogey
    4 bogey
    9 +5
    4 par
    3 birdie
    3 par
    4 birdie
    4 par
    4 par
    2 birdie
    4 par
    4 par
    4 par
    5 par
    3 birdie
    4 par
    4 par
    3 birdie

Imagine that score without the absolute craziness of the first 3 holes. The 3rd was a particular highlight. Sliced my drive out of bounds, sliced my 2nd attempt out of bounds, duffed the 3rd one about 150 yards, 3 wood to just short of the green, chip on and 2 putts.

****ing stupid game.

Today 11 times (once with a 9 iron and the rest with a wedge of sorts) in perfect conditions I was faced with short shots into greens. I hit the grand total of 2!!!! Two par threes. 6 iron and 7 iron no problem!!!! Hate this game.
    Last edited by greenlex; 09-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.

It was the 1st round of our Club Championship last night and I managed to record a 4 & 3 victory. Onwards to tonight where my next opponent is the reigning champion - tough game in prospect without a doubt.