hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: golf 2013

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    100 Balls at the range today. need a lie doon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I had a game off the medal tees at Dunbar today. I had 15 pars, 1 birdie and 1 bogey -------------- and an unexpected out of bounds at the 7th hole where I didn't even think there was any need to hit a provisional ball off the tee. It was only a bounce game but delighted with the way I played -------- for a change!

Things are looking up, well at least until the next time I play.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Great weekend of golf for me, was lucky enough to get asked to play Castle Stuart on Saturday and was at Royal Dornoch on Sunday. First time I've played Castle Stuart and my golf aside I loved the track, some stunning holes, hard to pick a favorite because they all stood out, 2 of the par 3's in particular, 4 and 11 I think were pretty special.

Only problem with playing courses like that is it really gives you the bug to get out playing and unfortunately when you get out down here the courses just don't compare!

Yesterday again i was playing quite well but not scoring great. My drives were great most of them all hit far down the fairway. Iron play wasn't quite as good, pulled them a bit. Putting was poor again though, really need to sort that out. 13th bogey, 14th birdie, 15th bogey, 16th birdie (not far off eagle), 17th bogey (3 putted from 15 feet), 18th double bogey. That's pretty much how i'm playing, way too many 3 putts or just missing greens with approach shots.

More i play more consistent my shots will get. Lot of work needed with the putter but hopefully in a few weeks will start shooting some decent scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great weekend of golf for me, was lucky enough to get asked to play Castle Stuart on Saturday and was at Royal Dornoch on Sunday. First time I've played Castle Stuart and my golf aside I loved the track, some stunning holes, hard to pick a favorite because they all stood out, 2 of the par 3's in particular, 4 and 11 I think were pretty special.

Only problem with playing courses like that is it really gives you the bug to get out playing and unfortunately when you get out down here the courses just don't compare!

Royal Dornoch is a stunning course. Never played Castle Stuart but walked round twice during the Scottish Opens. Where i live we get a discount to play it so need to take that up sometime.

Jealous, extremely jealous!

I was up at the Scottish Open two years ago and got the impression that Castle Stuart was definitely playable for the handicap golfer. It wasn't too long and the fairways were generous albeit the course did have its fair share of challenges.

I used to play Royal Dornoch in their week of golf which is held in August. I think the competition was the Carnegie Shield and at the time you were guaranteed at least 3 rounds of golf for £20 which represented fantastic value for money.

They're two great courses without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Yesterday again i was playing quite well but not scoring great. My drives were great most of them all hit far down the fairway. Iron play wasn't quite as good, pulled them a bit. Putting was poor again though, really need to sort that out. 13th bogey, 14th birdie, 15th bogey, 16th birdie (not far off eagle), 17th bogey (3 putted from 15 feet), 18th double bogey. That's pretty much how i'm playing, way too many 3 putts or just missing greens with approach shots.

More i play more consistent my shots will get. Lot of work needed with the putter but hopefully in a few weeks will start shooting some decent scores.

Royal Dornoch is a stunning course. Never played Castle Stuart but walked round twice during the Scottish Opens. Where i live we get a discount to play it so need to take that up sometime.

I'm fortunate to be able to get to play Dornoch quite a lot, friends live up there so get up quite a few weekends through out the year. I was also lucky to play Castle Stuart for nothing don't think I would of at £175 for the round. If you get a decent discount you should get yourself on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Jealous, extremely jealous!

I was up at the Scottish Open two years ago and got the impression that Castle Stuart was definitely playable for the handicap golfer. It wasn't too long and the fairways were generous albeit the course did have its fair share of challenges.

I used to play Royal Dornoch in their week of golf which is held in August. I think the competition was the Carnegie Shield and at the time you were guaranteed at least 3 rounds of golf for £20 which represented fantastic value for money.

They're two great courses without a doubt.
    The shield week up there is quality, never actually played in it but been up. Always a great atmosphere and the course is normally set up to be at its best then. There is also a team tournament up there, it was on this weekend called the Burghfield, an open competition on the Saturday for teams of 3 and an Open medal on the Sunday, you get to play in both for about £50.

I'm fortunate to be able to get to play Dornoch quite a lot, friends live up there so get up quite a few weekends through out the year. I was also lucky to play Castle Stuart for nothing don't think I would of at £175 for the round. If you get a decent discount you should get yourself on there.

Yeah i would never pay the full amount. There is 3 times set aside a day for people from surrounding areas, it is £200 for a 4 ball so it's basically £50 for a round for me which is fantastic and well worth it.

Another 50 baws today. Another lie doon required.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Another 50 baws today. Another lie doon required.
    Just had the first of three lessons, fek me I didn't realise how "full" my half swing was :)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Just had the first of three lessons, fek me I didn't realise how "full" my half swing was :)
    My new job is in Bishopbriggs. There is a driving range round the corner (ish). It's the first one I have used that as full length mirrors in every second bay. A great tool but frightning to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    My new job is in Bishopbriggs. There is a driving range round the corner (ish). It's the first one I have used that as full length mirrors in every second bay. A great tool but frightning to be honest.
    A video lesson is the real eye opener. My so called swing resembled some sort of demented octopus. Not a thing of beauty but it's all about getting the ball in the hole and not necessarily how you do it.

A video lesson is the real eye opener. My so called swing resembled some sort of demented octopus. Not a thing of beauty but it's all about getting the ball in the hole and not necessarily how you do it.
    Had that before GB. What you are actually doing bears no resemblance to what you think you are doing. Well worth the investment though.

Agree with the video lesson.

I remember being genuinely shocked by how mmuch I stood up during my backswing and how hard I was fighting to get back into position. After a 10 minute analysis I was shown a few excercises and and practice drills and my game improved beyond recognition.

First midweek evening round of the year tonight. Playing Baberton, hopefully the rain stays off!

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    1st competitive round last night in 4ball better ball and my partner and I won 5 and 4, hitting the ball well and putting nicely but can't hit a wee chip for love nor money.
    1st tie on Saturday so Friday night is about finding a wee chip shot or learning to bump and run
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    1st competitive round last night in 4ball better ball and my partner and I won 5 and 4, hitting the ball well and putting nicely but can't hit a wee chip for love nor money.
    1st tie on Saturday so Friday night is about finding a wee chip shot or learning to bump and run
    Ball back in a slightly open stance. Almost played like a putt but more wristy. Never fails. Strike ball first every time "attack" the ball (dinnae be feart) Will roll a fair bit
    so allow when picking that target on the green. Practice makes perfect.

Another 50 today. Will maybe do 100 tomorrow or 50 plus nine holes. West Lothian Golf Club on Saturday in The Linlithgowshire Spring handicap event. Bring it on!!!!!

Best I've played in a long time last night, only played 9 in the end but gutted. I hate playing well gives you the urge to get out more and more. That false sense belief that you might have finally mastered the game for it all to fall apart the next time the sticks come out!

A 36-holer Sunday (I hate derbies anyway!) and charity thing at Scotscraig next Friday..

Best I've played in a long time last night, only played 9 in the end but gutted. I hate playing well gives you the urge to get out more and more. That false sense belief that you might have finally mastered the game for it all to fall apart the next time the sticks come out!
    I wouldn't worry about that. Golf being the game it is will soon bring you back down to earth with a severe jolt!

It must be the most humbling game there is and the only certainty is that no one will ever play the perfect round of golf.

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    A 36-holer Sunday (I hate derbies anyway!) and charity thing at Scotscraig next Friday..
    One of my favourite golf courses and the hospitality has always been first class. I'm sure you will make every effort to enjoy yourself.

One of my favourite golf courses and the hospitality has always been first class. I'm sure you will make every effort to enjoy yourself.

Last played it last August and the greens were very poor. Large hollow cores and sandy .. hoping for better next week
    Last edited by IWasThere2016; 10-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Last played it last August and the greens were very poor. Large hollow cores and sandy .. hoping for better next week
    Seems to be a common theme - especially on inland courses these days. Up until the last couple of days, the greens on my home course resembled Ryvita, but hey presto, all of a sudden they've improved dramatically so the poor quality of the greens is no longer a valid excuse for "indifferent" scoring.

Went up today and there was 3 guys on the 2nd tee, 4 ball on 2nd fairway and 4 ball on 2nd green (fairly short par 4!) and another 4 ball was not far off the 3rd tee. Saw that and thought sack it so went and did some practicing. Hit irons well on the whole but chipping is needing worked on almost as much as my putting!

Big of improvement today. Felt a bit more in control of things. Still didn't score but its coming. Need to find an open tomorrow. Anyone played Kirkcaldy (Balwearie) lately?
    Last edited by greenlex; 11-05-2013 at 03:31 PM.

First Team Breakthrough PerthHibby's Avatar
    Off to Turkey today, pasha x2 sultan x2 and sueno pines, Happy days!

Only downside missing the championship qualifier, in good shape to after 1st round.

Couple of Jambos going so praying for a result today. would make for an enjoyable flight

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthHibby View Post
    Off to Turkey today, pasha x2 sultan x2 and sueno pines, Happy days!

Only downside missing the championship qualifier, in good shape to after 1st round.

Couple of Jambos going so praying for a result today. would make for an enjoyable flight
    16 turnhouse guys off there today as well
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member KanyeWestLower's Avatar
    Has anyone ever traded in clubs at American Golf? If so is it good value etc?

Looking for some money to be put toward a new driver. Also any recommendations for a driver suitable for a high handicapper?

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mckenzie1875 View Post
    Has anyone ever traded in clubs at American Golf? If so is it good value etc?

Looking for some money to be put toward a new driver. Also any recommendations for a driver suitable for a high handicapper?
    You would be better trying to sell them on gumtree, although they may cut you a deal for a trade in, if you don't ask you don't get ;) As for drivers ask them for advice and they'll let you try a few if you go to one with a range.