hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Do you support the setup being changed to a 12-12-18 with 3 further leagues of 8?

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

77 26.37%
  • No

215 73.63%
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

League Reconstruction for 2013/14 (merged)

I wasn't really paying attention but I'm sure I heard on the news that the SPL, SFL and SFA had very sccessful talks today in their attempt to rush through a two leagues of twelve teams for the start of next season. Somebody please tell me I misheard something as I thought that any reconstruction required one full season's warning in advance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn't really paying attention but I'm sure I heard on the news that the SPL, SFL and SFA had very sccessful talks today in their attempt to rush through a two leagues of twelve teams for the start of next season. Somebody please tell me I misheard something as I thought that any reconstruction required one full season's warning in advance.
    The SFA,SFL and SPL just make it up as they go so its all good

It's their way of getting "the rangers" back into the top league ASAP. The other part that I heard is that there will be a third tier, into which each of the OF have been invited to enter a reserve team. That was the last I'd heard.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Houchy View Post
    It's their way of getting "the rangers" back into the top league ASAP. The other part that I heard is that there will be a third tier, into which each of the OF have been invited to enter a reserve team. That was the last I'd heard.
    The proposed new set-up doesn't allow RFC into the top league any quicker than in the current set-up. Do the sums.

(Disclaimer, unless of course they are invited in.)

(Double disclaimer. Rod did say at the AGM that the new proposals were not designed to get RFC back any more quickly.)

Two leagues of twenty would be the way forward for me with Rangers in the top league next season. We are seriously missing the panto villians from Greyskull IMO and I am fairly sure Fiorentina were catapulted up a league in Italy not so long ago so the precedent is there. Two leagues of twenty would give us some scope to start playing good football in general.

Folks argue a bigger league = more meaningless games, I see it as a good way to bring more youngsters into 1st team without stressing about relegation too much (and we have no reserve league to play them in), whilst less games against old firm generally makes the league a tad tighter. I appreciate less games overall = less money, but the lack of young Scots getting top league game time is a little concerning and I'd personally like us to focus our game on bringing thru more Scots than paying wages to the likes of Kuqi and many other huddies we've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    Folks argue a bigger league = more meaningless games, I see it as a good way to bring more youngsters into 1st team without stressing about relegation too much (and we have no reserve league to play them in), whilst less games against old firm generally makes the league a tad tighter. I appreciate less games overall = less money, but the lack of young Scots getting top league game time is a little concerning and I'd personally like us to focus our game on bringing thru more Scots than paying wages to the likes of Kuqi and many other huddies we've had.
    If I wanted to watch a youth league then I'd follow the spl 20's.
    The league needs cash to keep existing talent and being in better standard of players=more punters through doors and cycle continues.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    If I wanted to watch a youth league then I'd follow the spl 20's.
    The league needs cash to keep existing talent and being in better standard of players=more punters through doors and cycle continues.
    Keep existing talent? Lol

perhaps getting more young talent through into teams (I'm not saying a full team of young players) will improve quality in the longer term.
    Many countries round the world have good young talent in top leagues. We live in the dark ages of "experience" and big lumps. Slow crap football.
    And its our main sport!

Absolutely. The meaningless games argument completely falls down when each team play each other once home and once away. The game itself would be an event instead of the turgid overkill we currently experience. There are enough good teams in the first division to make up the 20 easily and as you say more young Scottish players would get top league experience. Unfortunately the game is being debased by television money.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    To clarify, there has been no agreement. There are two different plans being discussed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20851604

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Bang on the money.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster View Post
    Absolutely. The meaningless games argument completely falls down when each team play each other once home and once away. The game itself would be an event instead of the turgid overkill we currently experience. There are enough good teams in the first division to make up the 20 easily and as you say more young Scottish players would get top league experience. Unfortunately the game is being debased by television money.
    The league is meaningless as it is now. Outwith Celtic we are all playing for the minor places and a possible shot at UEFA cup or in our case trying to stay in a 10 team league. A bigger league which meant playing each other once would be an improvement but the chances of the Bigot Bros agreeing to that is slim.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    The league is meaningless as it is now. Outwith Celtic we are all playing for the minor places and a possible shot at UEFA cup or in our case trying to stay in a 10 team league. A bigger league which meant playing each other once would be an improvement but the chances of the Bigot Bros agreeing to that is slim.
    Agreed. The set up at present is tedious and most particularly so because teams play each other too often. However I dont think it would be just the OF who would resist but others who benefit from four games against them and sadly I think that means us too. Its very sad that football has become another entertainment commodity instead of something more central to our cultural identities as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by lobster View Post
    Agreed. The set up at present is tedious and most particularly so because teams play each other too often. However I dont think it would be just the OF who would resist but others who benefit from four games against them and sadly I think that means us too. Its very sad that football has become another entertainment commodity instead of something more central to our cultural identities as it should be.

Agree with what you write !!
    However , fortunately or not depending on your opinion , football is now part of the ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS
    Sponsorship and Games shown on TV have brought that about .
    We must just learn to live with that

For my part as it stands ,and over the past few years , I am NOT being entertained by HFC therefore I have been attending fewer and fewer matched
    Something has to be done to make the game in Scotland less boring .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The proposed new set-up doesn't allow RFC into the top league any quicker than in the current set-up. Do the sums.

(Disclaimer, unless of course they are invited in.)

(Double disclaimer. Rod did say at the AGM that the new proposals were not designed to get RFC back any more quickly.)

Disclaimer - stranger things have happened.

Double Disclaimer - yes, he said not actually designed to get them back more quickly but he didn't say that new proposals would not get them back more quickly..............nothing like a bit of subtle ambiguity.

But if your maths are correct, it will be very interesting to see how Green can wangle his way out of his promise that Sevco would never again play in the SPL or presumably in a league made up from SPL teams.

League Reconstruction Next Season?

I can't see a story on the BBC yet but Jim Spence has Tweeted to say that it looks like we'll have 2 leagues of 12 that split into 3x8 next season.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Reconstruction talk won't go away until Rangers are accelarated up the leagues.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    We need reconstruction and we shouldn't delay just because it'll benefit The Rangers, the fact it will benefit them is unfortunate but we've been discussing the need for it long before they folded so i think it's unfair to say it's only being done to get them up the leagues quicker.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    We need reconstruction and we shouldn't delay just because it'll benefit The Rangers, the fact it will benefit them is unfortunate but we've been discussing the need for it long before they folded so i think it's unfair to say it's only being done to get them up the leagues quicker.
    The suggestion is that it won't benefit them at all, because they would stay in the bottom (third) tier of the new setup. It would take the same number of years for them to get back to playing the top teams.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Good to see that the idea of change is gathering speed but I'm more eager to see the current voting structure being abolished first!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    Good to see that the idea of change is gathering speed but I'm more eager to see the current voting structure being abolished first!
    Presumably the new set up would come with new voting rights.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    In what way do we 'need' a split to 3 leagues of 8?

You are entitled to your opinion reconstruction is on the table for the good of the game but this follows neither Henry McLeish's masterplan or the SPLs preferred wish for a league of 10 or indeed the fans wish for league of 18.

At best it is change for changes sake but in truth I believe all talk of reconstruction would disappear if Rangers were put in the SPL tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    will this allow rangers to be in the top league any quicker. as it stands it will be another 2 seasons in the lower leagues for them and if this proposal is accepted they will start in the bottom league next season then the spl2 the following season. so it will still take the same amount of time to be in the top division

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Don't think that explains the 3 x 8 split, how exactly does it work again?

Didn't really get it when i read about it before

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    The suggestion is that it won't benefit them at all, because they would stay in the bottom (third) tier of the new setup. It would take the same number of years for them to get back to playing the top teams.
    That's the way it looks to me.

If anything a change for next year (which I didn't think was meant to happen, I thought they had to give a full seasons notice?) would basically just be turning to The Rangers and saying their promotion counts for nothing and they shall still be playing in the bottow tier of Scottish football next year.
    Mon the Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Presumably the new set up would come with new voting rights.
    Therein lies the problem for me.

It's been deadly quiet on the matter since it was first raised all those months ago.

Would be nice if the "powers" that be could articulate what precisely is happening with them.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

My personal view is that I can't believe there will be three mini leagues of 3, after a certain amount of initial fixtures have been completed.

RP mentioned this at the AGM, that the middle 8, would all go back to zero points and start a new "league"....It just sounds like madness to me....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    will this allow rangers to be in the top league any quicker. as it stands it will be another 2 seasons in the lower leagues for them and if this proposal is accepted they will start in the bottom league next season then the spl2 the following season. so it will still take the same amount of time to be in the top division
    They would be playing SPL clubs if they are in top 4 of SPL 2 at split wouldn't they?

Wouldn't rule out some other method of getting them there quicker as well. Annything is possible with our authorities imo.