hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: proclaimers gig

Left by mutual consent!

proclaimers gig

Hi guys was at the playhouse last night and the boys were fab. Sunshinbe on Leith was sensational with the whole crowd singing along. Made the spine tingle. Anyone else enjoy ? GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Yes it was superb, they just get better every time i see them.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Sorry to go against the grain and I realise my opinion won’t go down well on here…........The Proclaimers are gash live. They have absolutely no charisma or stage presence. Dull as dish water I’m afraid. I also hate that whenever they play Edinburgh it becomes a Hibs fan convention. Would 80% of the folk who turn up in Hibs gear have anything to do with the band if Craig & Charlie weren’t Hibs fans? It's not about the music for most punters at the Edinburgh gigs, it’s about having a Hibs sing-along. I've seen them several times but have vowed never to go again, especially in Edinburgh.
    I own all their albums and do enjoy their music but they are a very poor live act.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry to go against the grain and I realise my opinion won’t go down well on here…........The Proclaimers are gash live. They have absolutely no charisma or stage presence. Dull as dish water I’m afraid. I also hate that whenever they play Edinburgh it becomes a Hibs fan convention. Would 80% of the folk who turn up in Hibs gear have anything to do with the band if Craig & Charlie weren’t Hibs fans? It's not about the music for most punters at the Edinburgh gigs, it’s about having a Hibs sing-along. I've seen them several times but have vowed never to go again, especially in Edinburgh.
    I own all their albums and do enjoy their music but they are a very poor live act.
    I agree with all you say apart form the bit in bold, neither is true for me. I think excepting a couple of songs they are awful period.

@hibs.net private member
    Well I fair enjoyed masel. Got what I paid for. Cocktails in the bar were very nice too :-P

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar

What gig were you at ? Sold out most of there UK tour year in year out. Can't be that bad live

They must be one of the best live act going around

saw them in Auckland NZ a few years ago, about a dozen of us in hibs tops/scarfs in a crowd of hundreds, great gig.

I thoroughly enjoyed the gig last night and even saw Ian Murray Took my mum and she also had a great time. So what if there were a few Hibs scarves, the fact that a couple of their songs are Hibs anthems might explain it
    Last edited by FranckSuzy; 24-11-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling dahling!

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Each to their own I suppose but any gig I've been at they've had the place bouncing especially when the finale was 'the Joyfoul Kilmarnock blues'.

Maybe you seen them during their kind of country western phase which was a wee bit low key.

Was fantastic gig I smell a jambo

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I wasn't at the gig but have seen them twice before in Edinburgh. I can honestly say that I have never found the Hibs supporting side of the crowd to be over the top. Sure there were a few strips/scarfs but nothing major. I have seen Oasis once and Noel Gallagher once play in Edinburgh and on both occasions there were people turning up in Manchester City tops. It's certainly not something that I would have done but all Im saying is that whenever a group makes it clear who they follow then there will be a presence of that teams colours in the crowd.

As for saying there music is terrible. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I personally wouldn't call a bands music terrible when they have sold millions of records. I don't listen to Dizee Rascall (?) for example but the guy is a multi millionaire from selling his records so I can't really knock him.

Proclaimers are outstanding live IMHO.

What's not to like about the bespeckled brothers? They're braw . First attack on the first album. Love it .

Was there any yaks there with begging buckets?.....

First Team Breakthrough 1875HFC's Avatar
    the Proclaimers last night were superb, was everything you'd expect and more:pfgwa

Blog Entries
    I can take them or leave them generally and up until a few years ago would never have bothered going to see them live. However the two gigs I have been persuaded to go to really opened my eyes. I thought they and their band were excellent and thoroughly professional. As for the Hibby thing, I think it's a bit naff but I'm surprised that another Hibby would take offence.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    was there on thursday night, absolutely immense, hairs on the neck stood up when sunshine on leith was sung!

I wouldn't say they were a poor live act generally but last night it did feel like they weren't engaged with the audience and whilst they did their numbers well, it did lack a bit of passion. Like you I could do without all the Hibs stuff. We know their 'ours' and their songs have special meaning as Hibs fans but for instance why shout 'Hibees' when trying to entice them back for an encore? Next time I see them I'd like it to be away from Edinburgh. ..

First Team Breakthrough muzzhfc's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: muzz-a-bear
    Did they sing letter from oblivion?

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigHibee View Post
    was there on thursday night, absolutely immense, hairs on the neck stood up when sunshine on leith was sung!
    I was there on Thursday too and they were excellent. I've seen them many times and their ability, along with the band, to put together a set and perform it is superb. The only criticism which would be valid IMO is that they don't have much chat between songs, but that's never bothered me as I go to hear them sing.
    ​#PERSEVERED

I was there last night, and they dont do overkill re-hibs connections. they were simply suberb. I am not a proclaimers follower, just went at the last minute and thoroughly enjoyed it.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Saw them in Perth during the week and going to see them in Dundee in December. They were superb. The vocals and the band were fantastic. I would agree that there is very little crowd interaction though.

Saw them a few years ago at Glastonbury. Tent was packed and they were really good especially when they had the crowd bouncing!

'Alabama 3' (famous for Sopranos theme tune) played same night ... a great live band if ever... and both bands ended up collaborating and recording a song together.

Lead singer of Alabama 3 ('Larry Love') reckons 'Sunshine On Leith' is one of his favourite songs of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by hibsmad View Post
    I wasn't at the gig but have seen them twice before in Edinburgh. I can honestly say that I have never found the Hibs supporting side of the crowd to be over the top. Sure there were a few strips/scarfs but nothing major. I have seen Oasis once and Noel Gallagher once play in Edinburgh and on both occasions there were people turning up in Manchester City tops. It's certainly not something that I would have done but all Im saying is that whenever a group makes it clear who they follow then there will be a presence of that teams colours in the crowd.

As for saying there music is terrible. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I personally wouldn't call a bands music terrible when they have sold millions of records. I don't listen to Dizee Rascall (?) for example but the guy is a multi millionaire from selling his records so I can't really knock him.
    Just cos u sell millions doesnt make u particularly good, just good marketing and getting air play. Look at one direction they are duff and they are selling millions.
    Proclaimers can sell millions or v little but will still be better than one sirection of dizzie rascal

Quote Originally Posted by hibs4life View Post
    I wouldn't say they were a poor live act generally but last night it did feel like they weren't engaged with the audience and whilst they did their numbers well, it did lack a bit of passion. Like you I could do without all the Hibs stuff. We know their 'ours' and their songs have special meaning as Hibs fans but for instance why shout 'Hibees' when trying to entice them back for an encore? Next time I see them I'd like it to be away from Edinburgh. ..
    Pretty much agreed with this
    Could not understand why they played SOL in the middle of the set, should have brought the house down with it last, given the venue. However I suppose playing it there did change crowds reaction from there on in I don't remember much sitting down in the stalls after that

Overall just feel I have seen them better before they weren't terrible by any stretch

Quote Originally Posted by doug2 View Post
    Pretty much agreed with this
    Could not understand why they played SOL in the middle of the set, should have brought the house down with it last, given the venue. However I suppose playing it there did change crowds reaction from there on in I don't remember much sitting down in the stalls after that

Overall just feel I have seen them better before they weren't terrible by any stretch
    In Dunfermline tonight and they were bloody brilliant.
    As for it being a Hibs fan convention, I've seen them a few times and they do a good job keeping Hibs separate from their job. Not their fault if some of the audience try to turn it into a hibs thing.