hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing that BH, really hope it helps others.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Mental health awareness week 12-18 May

image.jpg

@anxietyunited is a great twitter feed with links to resources and podcasts for sufferer, carers, family and friends. Worth a look.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    www.moodgym.anu.edu.au

This is a recomended site, CBT course you can access from your smartphone. Particularly useful if you're on a long NHS waiting list for 'real' CBT.
    i was recommended this site by my works doctor, helped me immensely.

My anxiety had seemed to be seasonal,with the benefit of hindsight, it starts every autumn, was weaned off the tablets last spring and started back on them in September.

However, the last month or so has been horrendous,not as bad as I've been, but definitely worsening, does being on the same tablet lose its effectiveness over time?

Quote Originally Posted by cowiehibs View Post
    i was recommended this site by my works doctor, helped me immensely.

My anxiety had seemed to be seasonal,with the benefit of hindsight, it starts every autumn, was weaned off the tablets last spring and started back on them in September.

However, the last month or so has been horrendous,not as bad as I've been, but definitely worsening, does being on the same tablet lose its effectiveness over time?
    Possibly, Some medications for unrelated conditions can also interfere with the way your body breaks down and uses antidepressants, decreasing their effectiveness, this is usually known as tachyphylaxis. If a resistance has been built up then your GP should cross check "contradictions" in your other medication (if you are on other meds) If not then it could just be a case of "tweaking" your dosage & getting you back on track again.

Good luck, stick in there ..

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment...ing-depression

Interesting interview with Limmy and his experience of depression in GQ.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough Lost_Mackem's Avatar
    I think that considering 1 in 3 people will suffer from a mental disorder at some point in their lives there is a disgraceful lack of recognition about it in this country. Depression and anxiety have been prevalent in my family. My old man suffered with both in his twenties and although he is alright now you can tell that it definitely changed him. My grand-parents used to say how confident he was but then after he went through what he did he became more withdrawn. My Dad's sister committed suicide 10 years ago and although no-one has ever said why she did it, logic says it was due to depression, she left behind two young girls who have had to grow up without their mother.

I've had problems myself, when I was 15 my Mam and Dad split up in ugly circumstances and six months later I found myself having to be sent home from school suffering from panic attacks. That continued for several months, the Summer was the worst part, I could barely leave the house. I started College in the September though and once I had got my mind off all my worries and threw myself into my College work I realised one day that I didn't feel anxious anymore. I think distraction and changing your thought pattern is the key.

So I was happy again for 2 and a half years and then it kicked off again, only worse this time. I have been struggling with it since I was 19 and I am 22 now. Although I can see that I have gotten gradually better over time there is still some way to go, I just have to be confident that like my Dad I will eventually find away out of this permanently.

I've said on many an occasion that I can deal with physical pain, but when its mental anguish you're going through there really is nothing worse. There is no quick fix and you just have to take it day by day and stay positive.

@hibs.net private member
    Stick in there. It is true that people don't acknowledge it because you can't see the "wound" or scar

Does anyone on here know how easy it is to get a second opinion on a diagnosis. I feel the label "Borderline Personality Disorder" is harming me in a way.

Over the past three weeks I have been having strange episodes at night. Hallucinations, "night terrors" and some sort of sleep paralysis. I have spoken to 3 CPN's and 2 out of hours doctors who all say it's nothing to worry about but I haven't had a decent nights sleep in almost a month.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StranraerHibee View Post
    Does anyone on here know how easy it is to get a second opinion on a diagnosis. I feel the label "Borderline Personality Disorder" is harming me in a way.

Over the past three weeks I have been having strange episodes at night. Hallucinations, "night terrors" and some sort of sleep paralysis. I have spoken to 3 CPN's and 2 out of hours doctors who all say it's nothing to worry about but I haven't had a decent nights sleep in almost a month.
    Sounds like you've had several second opinions already. You could ask your consultant to pass over your care to another doctor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Sounds like you've had several second opinions already. You could ask your consultant to pass over your care to another doctor though.
    I was after a second opinion from another shrink, I would hate people to think I'm making this up at night in order to get certain medication.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StranraerHibee View Post
    I was after a second opinion from another shrink, I would hate people to think I'm making this up at night in order to get certain medication.
    I don't.

I don't.
    I know man it's the doctors in Stranraer thinking I'm seeking medication of some sort I've done a bit of reading on BPD and how people with it often manipulate things for their own benefit.

I'm seeking advice

I was wondering if people would mind sharing their experiences of certain antidepressants. I've been on 7 and Sertraline is the most effective but it has rather (embarrassing male-problem side effects).

Has anyone been on antidepressants that aren't SSRI's and if so, were they effective?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus. View Post
    I'm seeking advice

I was wondering if people would mind sharing their experiences of certain antidepressants. I've been on 7 and Sertraline is the most effective but it has rather (embarrassing male-problem side effects).

Has anyone been on antidepressants that aren't SSRI's and if so, were they effective?
    Without going into too much detail, I had similar problems to yours on Fluoxetine.

The side effects of SRRIs are well known, and vary between drugs, and between individuals. The only way you can tell if you will get them, is to try the drug and see.

Without going into too much detail, I had similar problems to yours on Fluoxetine.

The side effects of SRRIs are well known, and vary between drugs, and between individuals. The only way you can tell if you will get them, is to try the drug and see.
    Now that I've told the shrink to piss off I doubt the GP will change anything. This personality disorder malarky is getting in the way of everything that is said to me by professionals.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Mackem View Post
    I think that considering 1 in 3 people will suffer from a mental disorder at some point in their lives there is a disgraceful lack of recognition about it in this country. Depression and anxiety have been prevalent in my family. My old man suffered with both in his twenties and although he is alright now you can tell that it definitely changed him. My grand-parents used to say how confident he was but then after he went through what he did he became more withdrawn. My Dad's sister committed suicide 10 years ago and although no-one has ever said why she did it, logic says it was due to depression, she left behind two young girls who have had to grow up without their mother.

I've had problems myself, when I was 15 my Mam and Dad split up in ugly circumstances and six months later I found myself having to be sent home from school suffering from panic attacks. That continued for several months, the Summer was the worst part, I could barely leave the house. I started College in the September though and once I had got my mind off all my worries and threw myself into my College work I realised one day that I didn't feel anxious anymore. I think distraction and changing your thought pattern is the key.

So I was happy again for 2 and a half years and then it kicked off again, only worse this time. I have been struggling with it since I was 19 and I am 22 now. Although I can see that I have gotten gradually better over time there is still some way to go, I just have to be confident that like my Dad I will eventually find away out of this permanently.

I've said on many an occasion that I can deal with physical pain, but when its mental anguish you're going through there really is nothing worse. There is no quick fix and you just have to take it day by day and stay positive.
    Very interesting post containing many truths.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    I posted earlier in the the thread about my anxiety, I've always been able to control it and manage it but recently things have taken a turn for the worse and I have no idea why. I've recently started a new job which I love and is on the career path I want, I have a very close group of friends who understand me and care about me and objectively I know I am very lucky but I just feel constantly anxious. I keep thinking about dying - it's silly things like getting in a lift and thinking it's going to fall or getting on a plane and thinking it will crash or thinking about being in a terrorist attack. I can barely sleep at nights because all these horrible thoughts run through my head. I used to self harm when I was younger and fortunately I don't feel myself drawn to doing that again but I just feel there is something as equally messed up in my head going on and I don't know how to stop it. I am usually very objective and logical and can tell myself that I'm being silly but for some reason I can't shake all these irrational fears and it's becoming increasingly crippling for me.

I've never been to the doctors for my problems before I've always stubbornly tried to work through them myself but I don't know if that's the best course of action any more.
    I was in the exact same place, hoping planes, trains etc would crash on way to meetings.... It took me a looong time to do it but I really, really recommend seeing the Doc, I was referred to a mental health nurse and over the course of a few months it really helped me turn myself around. I'm not out the woods yet, might never be totally, but now I have the tools to understand what's happening and can take steps to get me back on track. Go see the doc, once you've done it you'll wish you been much earlier.

Blog Entries
    I've been struggling a bit myself recently, I wondered if anyone knows how easy (or difficult) it is to change GP surgeries?

Quote Originally Posted by <3Morrissey View Post
    I've been struggling a bit myself recently, I wondered if anyone knows how easy (or difficult) it is to change GP surgeries?
    It should be easy mate, go online to read up on GPs as there should be feedback from service users. Also talk to folk in your area to see if they recommend their GP. Once you decide who you want to go with ask to register with them. Any problems you can contact the CCG who should be able to help.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Can I just say, this thread is quite comfortably the best on the site. I've re-read it so many times and it just reminds me how fantastic the people on here are.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    Can I just say, this thread is quite comfortably the best on the site. I've re-read it so many times and it just reminds me how fantastic the people on here are.

Agree 100% .... Also, being able to share with "friends" or people in similar circumstances has actually helped me as well.

So... A huge thank you guys.

Feel this is too good a thread to be on the second page. Have reread it many times and can relate to a lot of what's been posted. Depression is hitting me hard just now struggling to motivate myself to get out of bed never mind going to work. I don't tend to share feelings especially on the Internet but perhaps it could help me.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee_Lisa View Post
    Feel this is too good a thread to be on the second page. Have reread it many times and can relate to a lot of what's been posted. Depression is hitting me hard just now struggling to motivate myself to get out of bed never mind going to work. I don't tend to share feelings especially on the Internet but perhaps it could help me.
    It's that time of year where the darkness starts to fall for a lot of people.

You're not alone. One of the benefits of social media is that you can share a lot, whilst maintaining your anonymity. So feel free to vent, either on the thread or privately.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

Lisa

It is crap and it is a deep dark hole that is hard to imagine coming out of but some very basic bloody minded actions will help.

Walk, eat, sleep.

If you can walk just 20 minutes a day at as brisk a pace as you can manage that is sufficient - more is better obviously.

Try and make yourself eat three times a day. Diet has a huge impact and putting fuel into the engine really matters. Google the stuff to try and avoid eating as a next step and the mood enhancing things to try to eat.

Sleeping is your friend. The more you do at regular hours the better. It is when your body and mind tries to mend itself.

Beyond that the other thing that can help is social interaction. If you can go out of your way to try and help someone else, no matter how simple a thing it is, it will pick you up. And just speaking with someone else about almost anything will help to take you out of yourself.

You have more control over this than you think or realise. It is just very hard to believe when you are down.

Stick in, I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It's that time of year where the darkness starts to fall for a lot of people.

You're not alone. One of the benefits of social media is that you can share a lot, whilst maintaining your anonymity. So feel free to vent, either on the thread or privately.

You're right Crops. When the blue sky sometimes breaks through its a liberating feeling. Blue light bulbs are the way to go...

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    You're right Crops. When the blue sky sometimes breaks through its a liberating feeling. Blue light bulbs are the way to go...
    I've just had a wee walk in the sunshine. Made quite a difference :)

I have a light box for the office, which is on constantly from about November. Are blue light bulbs something different?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Lisa

It is crap and it is a deep dark hole that is hard to imagine coming out of but some very basic bloody minded actions will help.-

Walk, eat, sleep.

If you can walk just 20 minutes a day at as brisk a pace as you can manage that is sufficient - more is better obviously.

Try and make yourself eat three times a day. Diet has a huge impact and putting fuel into the engine really matters. Google the stuff to try and avoid eating as a next step and the mood enhancing things to try to eat.

Sleeping is your friend. The more you do at regular hours the better. It is when your body and mind tries to mend itself.

Beyond that the other thing that can help is social interaction. If you can go out of your way to try and help someone else, no matter how simple a thing it is, it will pick you up. And just speaking with someone else about almost anything will help to take you out of yourself.

You have more control over this than you think or realise. It is just very hard to believe when you are down.

Stick in, I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you.
    Some sound advice three.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I've just had a wee walk in the sunshine. Made quite a difference :)

I have a light box for the office, which is on constantly from about November. Are blue light bulbs something different?

I think the light box is the same thing. November is the dreaded month, that's when the Demons like to start to slither.

Having things to look forward to helps too. Which is one reason why a crap Hibs isn't really helping....

Lisa, amidst all the nonsense that goes on on .net on a daily basis this is by far the best thread that has ever appeared on .net. You've taken the first step by posting on the thread, I would advise you to pick the post that relates closest to how you feel just now then send the poster a wee PM asking for a wee chat, it's a lot more of a problem for people than you may think just now. After reading the thread numerous times I'm confident you'll get a wee ray of light from whoever.

Lisa. Depression is horrible. I suffer with Bi-Polar disorder and have done for many years. I do get the highs occasionally however it's the crashing lows that really affect me. You will hear "give yourself a shake", and other ignorant advice. NEVER be afraid to ask for help from people you trust, friends, family or even your GP. I have to agree with One day soon and CWG that even using this thread to vent or speak to people who understand would in my opinion be a great support. As i said I have and still go through bad days but I have, in time, used things that work for me to get me through these days. This thread, without doubt is the most important on the whole forum and I think should be used as a sounding board as others have suggested. Say what you want on it. You will NOT be judged.......