hibs.net Messageboard

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 1993
    How's everyone doing? A good week weather wise always lifts the spirits

I've been struggling a lot recently. Never really getting to the bottom of my symptoms or finding anything that boosts my energy levels or concentrates my mind

Something I've explored over the last week or so is ADHD. And when I reflect on my youth and time in school it makes so much sense.

Frustratingly there's only a private route so looking at funding options for that now. Just wondering if ahyone else ever presented symptoms of depression and anxiety but actually uncovered another condition?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How's everyone doing? A good week weather wise always lifts the spirits

I've been struggling a lot recently. Never really getting to the bottom of my symptoms or finding anything that boosts my energy levels or concentrates my mind

Something I've explored over the last week or so is ADHD. And when I reflect on my youth and time in school it makes so much sense.

Frustratingly there's only a private route so looking at funding options for that now. Just wondering if ahyone else ever presented symptoms of depression and anxiety but actually uncovered another condition?

Struggling a bit just now, TBH, mostly due to turmoil at work.

I work for a small company and we've had a number of resignations due to the mad behaviour of the owner, plus the fact we're continually paid late (I'm now waiting for both April and May salary).

Unfortunately, the people leaving have been replaced with talentless 'yes men', which empowers the bullying behaviour of the CEO. I've spent the last few weeks trying to defend my younger, more timid colleagues from this pr1ck but it gets you down after a while.

I realise people are going through a lot worse than I am, though.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

I work for a small company and we've had a number of resignations due to the mad behaviour of the owner, plus the fact we're continually paid late (I'm now waiting for both April and May salary).

Unfortunately, the people leaving have been replaced with talentless 'yes men', which empowers the bullying behaviour of the CEO. I've spent the last few weeks trying to defend my younger, more timid colleagues from this pr1ck but it gets you down after a while.

Sorry to hear about what you're going through Keith.That must be incredibly stressful, the non-payment of wages in particular and I hope you're managing. I reckon a few of us have, over the years, worked in decent jobs only to find things deteriorate over time disappointingly. Almost seems like a lot of jobs have a shelf life before things start going downhill for one reason or another.

Would just say, your last sentence there, those downward social comparisons that we often indulge in, 'there's always someone worse off' and so on, are not normally productive. You don't have to compare what you're going through with someone else's struggles to validate it mate. It can coccasionally even lead to guilt, 'Ive got no right to feel this way when others are etc.'. Things are not great at the moment and you've got a perfect right to recognise it and air it. Hope things change for you soon. They don't grow on trees but a new job would sound good wouldn't it?
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

It's only about you Keith. I've been where you are at work and trying to fight for those that can't or won't stick up for themselves can be exhausting but also extremely hard to give up, but sometimes you have to for your own mental well being.

I don't know what kind of man the young Keith M that I knew as a boy turned into, but I'm certain he is a thoroughly decent human being judging by the kid that I knew.

Look after yourself digga.

Thanks for your responses, guys, it's much appreciated.

And no, Paul, I haven't changed a bit from that weird little boy you were at school with ;-)

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Pal of mine is starting online CBT, but with a twist. There is no sound or vision, only text.

Anyone had any experience of this?

My own view is that therapy almost always needs some sort of visual or verbal contact, whether that's online, phone, or face-to-face. Otherwise, there is a risk of clues in body language, voice intonation etc. being missed by either party. It also relies on the literacy and typing skills of both.

It feels like an assembly-line approach to me, which is never a good thing in therapy IMO.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Pal of mine is starting online CBT, but with a twist. There is no sound or vision, only text.

Anyone had any experience of this?

My own view is that therapy almost always needs some sort of visual or verbal contact, whether that's online, phone, or face-to-face. Otherwise, there is a risk of clues in body language, voice intonation etc. being missed by either party. It also relies on the literacy and typing skills of both.

It feels like an assembly-line approach to me, which is never a good thing in therapy IMO.
    Tend to agree. I guess the old addage of 'the worst thing to do is nothing' might apply though. My employers, Gamcare, offer a computerised CBT course for problem gamblers finding it difficult to attend regular sessions, whether F2F, by phone or Zoom. Clients do have a little bit of personal contact by phone each week though, maybe 20 minutes.

GameChange
    https://www.gamcare.org.uk/self-help/gamechange/
    Last edited by stu in nottingham; 05-06-2023 at 04:25 PM.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

That sounds a very difficult position to be in particularly the uncertainty that you get paid or not. Wouldn't underestimate the stresses that would cause. Good that you are sticking up for others also.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    That sounds a very difficult position to be in particularly the uncertainty that you get paid or not. Wouldn't underestimate the stresses that would cause. Good that you are sticking up for others also.

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Australia approves the therapeutic use of psilocybin and MDMA.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02093-8

Having a right time of it with the old insomnia again past few nights, getting quite irritable now after my third night with no sleep. Got a busy few days with work coming up now, got to take the cat to the vet because he’s not well (very lethargic and doesn’t want to do anything, only really moves when he hears food being put out) and that’s stressing me out as well, he’s usually my shadow when this happens, as if he knows I’m struggling but he’s just not in the form for anyone just now. Work today takes me up to Aberdeen and then tomorrow away down to Dumfries, a lot of travelling and I’m just really not in the mood. Scunnered is probably the word for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry to hear this, not getting enough sleep can really undermine mental health. Is it getting to sleep or staying asleep the problem? Everybody’s different but I go to bed at 10 every night and read. I also keep off screens if I can. Just having a routine helps. If I wake up in the night stressed, I try very deep and slow breathing. It does slow things down and eventually helps. There is a pose at the end of yoga practice called the corpse where you lie as still as you can and breathe deep and slow. I do this in the night and it does help. Not sure if any of this helps as everyone is different but hope you get a good nights sleep soon 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    Sorry to hear this, not getting enough sleep can really undermine mental health. Is it getting to sleep or staying asleep the problem? Everybody’s different but I go to bed at 10 every night and read. I also keep off screens if I can. Just having a routine helps. If I wake up in the night stressed, I try very deep and slow breathing. It does slow things down and eventually helps. There is a pose at the end of yoga practice called the corpse where you lie as still as you can and breathe deep and slow. I do this in the night and it does help. Not sure if any of this helps as everyone is different but hope you get a good nights sleep soon
    It’s actually getting to sleep that’s the issue, I’m in bed for about 12 most nights and I usually read for half an hour. Just can’t get over sometimes

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Having a right time of it with the old insomnia again past few nights, getting quite irritable now after my third night with no sleep. Got a busy few days with work coming up now, got to take the cat to the vet because he’s not well (very lethargic and doesn’t want to do anything, only really moves when he hears food being put out) and that’s stressing me out as well, he’s usually my shadow when this happens, as if he knows I’m struggling but he’s just not in the form for anyone just now. Work today takes me up to Aberdeen and then tomorrow away down to Dumfries, a lot of travelling and I’m just really not in the mood. Scunnered is probably the word for it.

Insomnia is the worst, I've only really had it once a couple of years back, lasted about 6 days, the most annoying thing about it was there was no reason at all I could put my finger on as to why I had it, I didn't have a care in the world, everything was fine, that wound me up as I could have handled it better if I could have said yep worrying about such and such is clearly keeping me up

I tried exercise, listening to self hypnosis apps and videos, relaxation techniques, sleeping tablets the lot and none of it worked, then as quickly as it appeared it went away again, days 3-6 were utter hell

I tested positive for COVID about 10 days later so can only presume it was some symptom of the start of that

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Insomnia is the worst, I've only really had it once a couple of years back, lasted about 6 days, the most annoying thing about it was there was no reason at all I could put my finger on as to why I had it, I didn't have a care in the world, everything was fine, that wound me up as I could have handled it better if I could have said yep worrying about such and such is clearly keeping me up

I tried exercise, listening to self hypnosis apps and videos, relaxation techniques, sleeping tablets the lot and none of it worked, then as quickly as it appeared it went away again, days 3-6 were utter hell

I tested positive for COVID about 10 days later so can only presume it was some symptom of the start of that
    Yep mine comes and goes every now and again, day three onwards is the absolute pits. I don’t seem to have anything that particularly triggers it, I wasn’t sleeping before all the stresses I’ve just whinged about hit in the past maybe day and a half. Just that stress is compounding it almost and making every living moment feel like hell until it goes away

It’s actually getting to sleep that’s the issue, I’m in bed for about 12 most nights and I usually read for half an hour. Just can’t get over sometimes

I’ve used an app called Balance, which has various groupings of mediations, you can choose from a few different people/voices to speak them to you. They’re actually pretty good, I’ve used some of the calming ones and a few of the sleeping ones, and they’ve helped.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I’ve used an app called Balance, which has various groupings of mediations, you can choose from a few different people/voices to speak them to you. They’re actually pretty good, I’ve used some of the calming ones and a few of the sleeping ones, and they’ve helped.
    I’m going to give that a try tonight mate thanks very much for the tip

I’m going to give that a try tonight mate thanks very much for the tip

fingers crossed for you mate

There are no easy solutions to this, so keep in kind this is just a suggestion that occasionally helps me, so thought I'd post it, just in case :) ...

Ive noticed a link between my sleeping habits and the amount of exercise I take. I'm one of the many 'work from home' people and realised there were days where I was hardly ever going out. I now try to have a walk, no matter how short, every lunchtime and every evening, after dinner and find that, while not a cure-all, it does help.

I also realised I was spending too much time staring at my laptop, constantly reading news article about various events and getting stressed out, so had to take some time off for my peace of mind.

I hope you find something that works for you as it must be a bit of a nightmare.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 17-07-2023 at 05:38 PM.

I think recent weather hasn’t helped with sleeping. Cooled down again now but I wasn’t getting good sleep either through waking up sweating in the heat/lack of air… or being kept up by noise through needing to have the window open.

Have managed to get a couple of hours for the past two nights, played golf today and then drove up to Fort William for a wee break with the mrs to unwind. Sat having a pint and had chicken balmoral for dinner, feel quite content and settled so hopefully will be out like a light tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, much appreciated

McD with the great advice as usual 👍

Have managed to get a couple of hours for the past two nights, played golf today and then drove up to Fort William for a wee break with the mrs to unwind. Sat having a pint and had chicken balmoral for dinner, feel quite content and settled so hopefully will be out like a light tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, much appreciated

@hibs.net private member
    I'd advise using this site less tbh. It's pretty much post after post of bad, angry or depressing news. Yes there is a massive amount to be angry ect about. But there is a disconnect between this site and outside.

You can't just focus on the negative in the world it'll drive you nuts and reading posts from people trawling every news source to find it is worse.

Edinburgh is beautiful despite what the hundred post thread says, I find it helps me so much going out for a big walk in it.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    I'd advise using this site less tbh. It's pretty much post after post of bad, angry or depressing news. Yes there is a massive amount to be angry ect about. But there is a disconnect between this site and outside.

You can't just focus on the negative in the world it'll drive you nuts and reading posts from people trawling every news source to find it is worse.

Edinburgh is beautiful despite what the hundred post thread says, I find it helps me so much going out for a big walk in it.
    Great advice. I've spent a lot less time on here lately, and also my social media platforms. Being offline more is certainly helping my mood.

And I couldn't agree more on Edinburgh. I'm quite a bit out of the city these days but will occasionally drive into the edge of the city and run into the centre and back out - being in Edinburgh really makes me happier.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Plenty good stuff on this site. But easy to get sucked into never-ending debates with no possibility of changing people's opinions.

The right wing media is the one thing that I really get angry about these days but discussing it face to face with like-minded people can be a positive, whereas continually checking your phone to see what's trending on Twitter can be soul destroying.

I got noticeably happier when we were banned from the HG.

It feels a bit like drinking or something though - fine, arguably a positive experience when done in moderation or at the right time. Drinking to excess or when you're already angry and spoiling for a fight then it can become hugely damaging.

Spotting the signs is the key. Like - I'm working from home today and have achieved next to f all today. The anxiety is growing and I have a few commitments later today. This feels like the time to step away from the crack pipe, which is essentially what it is at times.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    There are no easy solutions to this, so keep in kind this is just a suggestion that occasionally helps me, so thought I'd post it, just in case :) ...

Ive noticed a link between my sleeping habits and the amount of exercise I take. I'm one of the many 'work from home' people and realised there were days where I was hardly ever going out. I now try to have a walk, no matter how short, every lunchtime and every evening, after dinner and find that, while not a cure-all, it does help.

I also realised I was spending too much time staring at my laptop, constantly reading news article about various events and getting stressed out, so had to take some time off for my peace of mind.

I hope you find something that works for you as it must be a bit of a nightmare.
    Just to point out that exercise can actually cause insomnia depending on the type of exercise and when you do it. I've had a few bouts of insomnia in the past and one of them I couldn't put down to anything until I stopped going to the gym in the evening. I was doing HIIT style workouts and I think what was happening from some reading I've done was that it was causing a spike in adrenaline which was stopping me from getting to sleep. Now I tend to stick to morning or afternoon-early evening if I'm doing more intensive exercise.

On the flipside, I found doing yoga later in the evening really helped with my sleep. I've never been so fit either as I found it helped me recover better between workouts allowing me to push myself further. Then since the pandemic, I'm back to being a big fat mess

reading posts from people trawling every news source to find it is worse.
    Must be exhausting right enough.😁
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 04-08-2023 at 12:35 PM.

2 contrasting stories in the media today, albeit I know they've been around for a while:-

The first is encouraging, and hopefully is another step on the path towards a proper informed debate on the use of plant medicine:-

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...ooms-smdglztg8

Or.... https://archive.ph/v1lIj

The second is much more troubling, and reflects how far we have to go in terms of social and institutional attitudes:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66326656
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 29-07-2023 at 10:35 AM.