hibs.net Messageboard

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 1993
    @hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the support. Some really horrible and uncontrollable thoughts went through my head, havent experienced that before.

Apologies, Ive been ill for a wee while and that may have contributed. Ive taken a tablet and Im going to try and get a sleep
    Here to talk and to listen if I can be of any help mate. Just get in touch.

It would be a good time to ease yourself away from the news reports for a while. They can take their toll on anyone, let alone those prone to anxiety and there should be a time when you feel free to take yourself away from them and distract yourself with other things that help you relax.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

2. Log in to remove the advert

Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the support. Some really horrible and uncontrollable thoughts went through my head, havent experienced that before.

Apologies, Ive been ill for a wee while and that may have contributed. Ive taken a tablet and Im going to try and get a sleep
    I remember reading about your other health problems on another thread, it will no doubt be contributing towards how you are feeling.

I hope you feel better after your sleep, and more generally your physical health improves with time. I have experienced similar recently with anxiety attacks. I find it's helpful to remind myself this has happened before and it passed, and it will pass again. I realise everyone has different ranges of anxiety levels and what works for one person may not be as helpful for someone else. So, I'm not saying this will work for you, more sharing my own experience and how I try to manage it, in the hope you know you're not alone.

If you do experience the same levels of anxiety again there is a Mental Health Assessment team you can call in emergencies, this is presuming you live in the Lothians.

Take care.

https://services.nhslothian.scot/Men...s/default.aspx

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    I remember reading about your other health problems on another thread, it will no doubt be contributing towards how you are feeling.

I hope you feel better after your sleep, and more generally your physical health improves with time. I have experienced similar recently with anxiety attacks. I find it's helpful to remind myself this has happened before and it passed, and it will pass again. I realise everyone has different ranges of anxiety levels and what works for one person may not be as helpful for someone else. So, I'm not saying this will work for you, more sharing my own experience and how I try to manage it, in the hope you know you're not alone.

If you do experience the same levels of anxiety again there is a Mental Health Assessment team you can call in emergencies, this is presuming you live in the Lothians.

Take care.

https://services.nhslothian.scot/Men...s/default.aspx
    Thanks mate, yes my anxiety attacks are few and far between nowadays and I have eliminated a lot of the triggers and can manage the very few I do have. This episode today was completely out of character and actually scared me, it was like an outer body experience which I didnt have control over, particularly concerning were the irrational thoughts, never have I felt as bad as that before.

Looking at that post I suppose in that moment I needed to express my thoughts there and then, I didnt mean to cause alarm and I can understand why it would but I needed to put my thoughts somewhere as I needed to reach out.

I have been physically ill, havent eaten much the past week and sleep deprived which may have contributed significantly to this episode today. I managed to grab an hour after taking a tab, my Sister who also suffers from anxiety visited me today for a bit and I feel a bit calmer just now

Thanks again and thanks to others for advice

Apologies

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Thanks mate, yes my anxiety attacks are few and far between nowadays and I have eliminated a lot of the triggers and can manage the very few I do have. This episode today was completely out of character and actually scared me, it was like an outer body experience which I didnt have control over, particularly concerning were the irrational thoughts, never have I felt as bad as that before.

Looking at that post I suppose in that moment I needed to express my thoughts there and then, I didnt mean to cause alarm and I can understand why it would but I needed to put my thoughts somewhere as I needed to reach out.

I have been physically ill, havent eaten much the past week and sleep deprived which may have contributed significantly to this episode today. I managed to grab an hour after taking a tab, my Sister who also suffers from anxiety visited me today for a bit and I feel a bit calmer just now

Apologies
    No apologies needed. This thread is a great resource for people who want to express themselves.

No need to apologise. Speaking from my own experience being on your own when anxiety/irrational thoughts occur suddenly, heightens how you feel.

Sounds like you're feeling a bit better in yourself now, which is the main thing. Even coming back to your last post and reading it again may be enough to give you a bit of reassurance if you experience the same thing again (I find reading a couple of older posts from others when I'm not doing good can be helpful).

nothing to apologise for mate, just very glad you’ve spoken on here, and to your wife

Apologies
    Never apologise for reaching out.

Asking for help in any form takes real guts.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and I hope you continue to feel you can cope.

Always remember there's people on here who will listen.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Has anyone been on an SSRI solely for anxiety? I've always had a higher level of anxiety than the average person but this year in particular I've had 2 or 3 lengthy periods where I wake up feeling a knot in my stomach. It's turned into anxiety about being anxious and has more physical manifestations than usual, dizziness / nausea and panic, it's leading to some light agoraphobia too.

I know it'll pass as it usually does but I'm growing a bit tired and concerned that it's coming around more frequently and lasting longer. Has anyone got any experience with using medication for anxiety?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post
    Has anyone been on an SSRI solely for anxiety? I've always had a higher level of anxiety than the average person but this year in particular I've had 2 or 3 lengthy periods where I wake up feeling a knot in my stomach. It's turned into anxiety about being anxious and has more physical manifestations than usual, dizziness / nausea and panic, it's leading to some light agoraphobia too.

I know it'll pass as it usually does but I'm growing a bit tired and concerned that it's coming around more frequently and lasting longer. Has anyone got any experience with using medication for anxiety?
    I absolutley feel for you mate as I have just recently experienced my worst episode of anxiety ever. I cant advise on meds as I dont take any for my anxiety as my attacks are more rare nowadays and are normally manageable

Stopping alcohol has made a big difference as my hangovers were inducing my attacks and most recently thanks to advice on here Ive tried to avoid the news because that triggered my worst ever attack with uncontrollable thoughts

Thanks again guys, you are top class

Hope you can get good advice mate and as others have said to me, were only a message away if you need to talk 👍

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post

Some SSRIs are considered more useful for anxiety than others. Commonly prescribed SSRIs such as Citalopram and Sertraline, are typical of those medication types. Some people describe this medication group as 'taking the edge off' their anxiety or 'turning the volume down' on it and it's often considered a first step in treating it. They can also help with other contributors to anxiety such as physiological ones including sleep problems, headaches and so on. Their potential easing of anxiety symptoms can also help in engaging with psychotherapy and well-being activities such as Mindfulness.

It's good to know what type of anxiety you experience and for this reason it's a good idea to engage with your GP whether seeking medication or not. The five major groups of anxiety are, Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia) and Post-Traumatic Disorder (PTSD).

My personal view, for what it's worth, is that when considering the use of medication and/or talking therapy, the latter can work well on its own, medication alone less so. It's my opinion that medication is best used in conjunction with talking therapy.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    Some SSRIs are considered more useful for anxiety than others. Commonly prescribed SSRIs such as Citalopram and Sertraline, are typical of those medication types. Some people describe this medication group as 'taking the edge off' their anxiety or 'turning the volume down' on it and it's often considered a first step in treating it. They can also help with other contributors to anxiety such as physiological ones including sleep problems, headaches and so on. Their potential easing of anxiety symptoms can also help in engaging with psychotherapy and well-being activities such as Mindfulness.

It's good to know what type of anxiety you experience and for this reason it's a good idea to engage with your GP whether seeking medication or not. The five major groups of anxiety are, Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia) and Post-Traumatic Disorder (PTSD).

My personal view, for what it's worth, is that when considering the use of medication and/or talking therapy, the latter can work well on its own, medication alone less so. It's my opinion that medication is best used in conjunction with talking therapy.
    Thanks a lot for this.

If I had to self diagnose, I'd say it's GAD. You're right though, I'll go and speak to a GP.

And cheers @bridge hibs, I hope your anxiety eases too! It's a terrible thing to suffer from but talking about it helps tremendously.

@hibs.net private member
    Digital age, sad reading this

Loneliness peaks in youth and over half of Americans say they are lonely. I in 7 men say they have no friends https://bmj.com/content/376/bmj-2021-067068

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Digital age, sad reading this

Loneliness peaks in youth and over half of Americans say they are lonely. I in 7 men say they have no friends https://bmj.com/content/376/bmj-2021-067068
    When I was growing up I had few friends and felt lonely at times.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Encouraging news.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/02/health/psilocybin-magic-mushroom-depression-wellness/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    For anyone interested in learning more about this study, the topic will be discussed this coming Monday on ITV's This Morning show.

Benign compared to others posting here but need to share it somewhere

Struggled a bit recently. Started on the descent of a munro when my body started to shut down and I realised just how unfit I actually am.

Can't shake this negative feeling I have. And it's spanning across most elements of life. Mostly just that I'm "OK"

I'm an OK dad, my girls adore me bur I could be much better. I'm husband, I'm OK at my job but have become extremely lazy and procrastinate so much productivity is fallen off a cliff. I'm an OK son, I'm an OK mate.

I struggle with back pain and extremely low energy levels at times and really find it difficult to get motivated or move when it becomes sore. Dome physio and other treatment but mentally always struggle if something doesn't make improvements within a couple of weeks

Sorry for the rant, I don't think I'd do anything too rash, I love my kids far too much but it just really drains me to the point where I think, well what is the point?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Benign compared to others posting here but need to share it somewhere

Struggled a bit recently. Started on the descent of a munro when my body started to shut down and I realised just how unfit I actually am.

Can't shake this negative feeling I have. And it's spanning across most elements of life. Mostly just that I'm "OK"

I'm an OK dad, my girls adore me bur I could be much better. I'm husband, I'm OK at my job but have become extremely lazy and procrastinate so much productivity is fallen off a cliff. I'm an OK son, I'm an OK mate.

I struggle with back pain and extremely low energy levels at times and really find it difficult to get motivated or move when it becomes sore. Dome physio and other treatment but mentally always struggle if something doesn't make improvements within a couple of weeks

Sorry for the rant, I don't think I'd do anything too rash, I love my kids far too much but it just really drains me to the point where I think, well what is the point?
    You'll probably find that what you think is just OK is probably a high bar. The fact that you even got up a munro something that 90% probably couldn't do, shows that. It's probably a bit of an "it's a wonderful life" thing and you'd be surprised to find your kids, parents, partner, think you're a lot more than ok

For anyone interested in learning more about this study, the topic will be discussed this coming Monday on ITV's This Morning show.
    Did you watch it?

Did you watch it?
    No, forgot about it. Will try to pick it up on catch up. It's not something I know anything about so would be interested to learn more. Personally find listening to discussions more interesting and easier to take in the info than reading reports. Did you happen to see it?

No, forgot about it. Will try to pick it up on catch up. It's not something I know anything about so would be interested to learn more. Personally find listening to discussions more interesting and easier to take in the info than reading reports. Did you happen to see it?
    I didn't.

I was wondering if anyone asked why the psilocybin was synthesised, and not natural.

We all probably know the answer. I was just curious as to how it would be explained.

Not that i've been diagnosed with anything but i've been on this little quest to look after myself a bit more. Probably started when lockdown two happened when boredom had set in and too many bevvy's had been sunk and just carried on from there. Been feeling the benefits of it so just carried it on.

Two things I've started to "live-by" are minimalism and simple living.

Contrary to what I thought, minimalism isn't having nothing and isn't a fancy German kitchen or designer Swedish living room with no appliances in it, but keeping the things that add value to your life and letting go of the things that don't. For me, that was decluttering the house and wardrobes and selling or giving away what I didn't want. An ipad that gets used once a year for an hour on a holiday flight, that needed a separate charger and updates etc - gone. A lockdown bought Playstation that hasn't been switched on since lockdown - gone. Digital camera that hasn't been used in 5 years - gone. Clothes that don't fit/don't like/don't match - gone. A vanload of stuff from the attic/shed/cupboards - gone. Less clutter, less items that need maintained, less items that need replaced, its been very liberating which leads into the next one....

Simple living. Breaking the work and spend cycle, then working some more, earning more and spending more, then working some more yet, earning more again and spending it all. Obviously I work to pay the bills but I now try to live my life with as few complications as possible and try to do the things I enjoy.

One of the few positives of the pandemic was me losing my job. It paid ridiculously well but was only when I got out of it I began to realise how pressured it was and no amount of money could make me go back to it. The pandemic also made me re-evaluate my financial situation and I soon noticed how much money was being wasted. A scary amount on car re-payments, Sky, mobile phone, subscription services, designer clothes/watches/jewellery, holidays, fancy meals etc. I seen a meme which was along the lines of "We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like" and I had 100% fallen into that trap. Sold and cancelled anything that I could, probably saved a salaries worth per month and its now goodbye 60 hour week and hello 35 hour week. Absolutely no stress at the job and no longer working into the evenings so can hit the gym or go a walk or cycle after work. Don't get that dread on a Sunday afternoon anymore so don't need to hit the Hugo Boss shop uptown for a dopamine hit and 8 pints. Getting out of the materialistic BS world I had found myself in has done wonders.

Some other steps i've taken to self-improvement along the way. Ditched 99% of social media - its toxic negative BS for me and havn't missed it in the slightest. I don't follow anyone I know personally and follow a dozen or so industry related twitter accounts for news and updates and thats it. Don't even have the app, just use the browser a couple of times per week for a few minutes at a time. Following on from that I no longer tune into the news or buy a daily paper. May buy a Sunday paper and go for a coffee twice a month and that's that. Like social media, TV or printed news is also generally depressing AF. Very rarely any good news stories. Things I had already done previously, unsubscribed to 99.9% of emails that hit my inbox and use an ad-blocker. These tools are used by companies to manipulate us into spending money on things we probably don't need. You soon get over the FOMO.

Some useful resources on what i've talked about above. The Minimalists - Website, podcast, movie etc on minimalism. Simple Living - online community for simple living. Some easy recommended reading that touches both of these things. If you Google them you can then buy from a bookstore of your choosing or rent from library. "Hygge" - Danish way of living with contentment. "Lagom" - Swedish way of living with "not too much, not too little". Zen - book on simple living from top-selling Japanese author.

tl;dr - spending less, working less, reading more, exercising more and generally feeling better mentally and physically for it.

All the best everyone

Posting in the off chance this may be of interest. Debate about to begin after FMQ's today. I think a transcript of the discussion will go on the SP website, if not I imagine there is some way it could be watched back, like youtube or a social media channel.

Members' Business — S6M-05911 Emma Roddick: Mental Health Stigma in the WorkplaceThat the Parliament is concerned by what it sees as continued stigmatisation of mental health issues and those who experience them; considers that, while wider understanding of depression and anxiety is progressing, organisations such as the Royal College of Psychiatrists have noted a pervasive stigma relating to personality, dissociative, and psychosis-related disorders; understands that this stigma is particularly concentrated in the world of work, meaning that people with psychiatric conditions are less likely to be employed or remain so; notes efforts such as SeeMe Scotland’s See Me in Work scheme, which aim to support employers to tackle mental health discrimination; understands that a survey by SeeMe was explored in a recent report, Mental Health – Exploring the Current Landscape, published by Centred, a mental health charity based in the Highlands of Scotland, which showed around half of people believe someone would not disclose a mental illness at work for fear of adverse effects on their employment; considers that this report contains valuable research around stigma, rural mental health, and the overall situation in Scotland; further notes the belief that this demonstrates that more work needs to be done by employers, public health agencies and government to tackle mental health stigma, and notes the calls for these issues to be addressed in the new Scottish Government Mental Health Strategy.

following from my post above, the link provides a list of organisations to contact for advice/support for a wide range of mental health conditions. Includes a Range of Information, Self-help, Empowerment and Self- Advocacy Websites and Apps.

https://www.seemescotland.org/media/..._rl_170119.pdf

Anxiety, of any and all kinds, gets off to an earlier start every year. Discuss.

http://ow.ly/r1t950Lo2Gz

Anxiety, of any and all kinds, gets off to an earlier start every year. Discuss.

http://ow.ly/r1t950Lo2Gz

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if anyone had experience of using hypnotherapy and how it worked out for them.

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if anyone had experience of using hypnotherapy and how it worked out for them.
    You could ask my clients 😀

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Anyone else on here riddle with health anxiety? it's gash

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    Yip and agree.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    Daily

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I tried it to stop smoking many years ago. Didn't work at all and felt like a scam.

I spent a fiver on Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Best money I ever spent. Guy was a genius.

If anyone is serious about quitting, read it. If you know a smoker, buy it for them for Xmas.

It really works.