hibs.net Messageboard

Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1993
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks everyone, will try all the things suggested. I have spent a long time meaning to do something about this but just allowed myself to keep suffering.
    Small steps mate, I hope you find a way out of this.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The parrafin lamp pub in Livingston - which is a good boozer but often gets a bad press - are doing free meals on Christmas Day for anyone struggling to feed the family or at simply alone and lonely.

Still have some spaces. It's on their Facebook page.

Nice touch by them.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    Hard post for me this one, never opened up before. Not actually sure what I’m hoping to achieve by posting tbh, I’ve always managed to cope before but I don’t feel I can anymore.

I seem to worry constantly about everything, things most people wouldn’t give a second thought. I keep imagining things going wrong at every opportunity and I’m making myself miserable. I’m existing in a life of someone who is down on their luck and is going through the mill when I actually have so much to be grateful for, especially considering how this year has been for so many plus it’s actually started to affect my physical health. Being aware of this makes me feel even more stupid and down on myself. It’s slowly gotten to the point where I keep having to check and double check things to make sure I’ve not made a mistake or forgotten to do something but even after doing that I still get preoccupied worrying that I’ve forgotten to do things.

I’ve been battling this for a long time but it’s just got so tiring now, I need to try and arrest the slide because I’m barely keeping my head above water. Days like today where a small thing, which I can’t change and isn’t really that big a deal, but I’ve been obsessing over it all day. It’s made me feel on edge, grumpy around my family and I feel like I’m in a daze while the day is passing me by. My kids are young and I want to enjoy watching them grow up rather than always having this cloud. I’ve been trying to keep busy so I don’t think about it but I’m constantly getting 10 steps ahead of myself imagining the worst.

I don’t feel I can seek any help because I worry about the repercussions. Sorry for the long post.
    Hi high bee, good for you for getting this off your chest, I hope that's helped a little bit just to unload. I'll echo others' sentiments in that I believe it's a good and supportive place to do that.

Firstly to say, I wouldn't presume to diagnose what your problem is here but I wonder if i could offer a few words of info and advise? I get the feeling that you're maybe a little bewildered about these behavioural things you describe and I can understand that, they probably don't seem to make any sense to you. For me though, I think they sound very much like Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)..

OCD is one of several forms of anxiety disorders such as Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Specific Phobias, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and so on. It's sometimes characterised by people feeling stigma and shame from it with the consequence that they struggle to open up about it and get help.

It is very treatable is the good news. Things that can help are any of, or a combination of counselling, medication such as SSRI (family of anti-depressents), Anxiety disorder support groups and a bit of self-help. For the latter we're talking about exercise, monitoring alcohol, stress relieving activities and spending quality time with family or friends, (possibly difficult I know at the moment).

The first thing to do is talk to your GP. Apart from any direct support he is able to give you think about the GP as a gate-keeper to obtaining further help that might help you such as a referral to counselling. I find that Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) can be a good 'fit' for this type of disorder and anxiety orders in general.

I hope that all helps a bit. Just one more point, you mention not seeking help because you 'worry about the repercussions'. I just wondered what you might think these repercussions might be? It's important to know that your treatment will be treated confidentially between you and your GP/therapist. Could you enlighten me if there's anything else that I might be able to allay your fears about in that regard?

Some further info about OCD
    https://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/infoshe...lsive-disorder

Good luck!
    Last edited by stu in nottingham; 21-12-2020 at 09:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    The parrafin lamp pub in Livingston - which is a good boozer but often gets a bad press - are doing free meals on Christmas Day for anyone struggling to feed the family or at simply alone and lonely.

Still have some spaces. It's on their Facebook page.

Nice touch by them.
    That’s wonderful

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I subscribe to a newsletter penned by Sam Delaney, a podcaster who co-hosts Top Flight Time Machine. I`ve not had the need to seek guidance on mental health before, nor have I read this thread, but I`m aware of this threads presence and the help, comfort and advice many appear to gain from it. Not sure if this is appropriate content or not, and Delaney might not be everyones cup of tea, but might be of interest to some who can identify with it and may like to subscribe for the regular emails. Basically he describes it as such - " This letter shares advice, tips and personal experiences on mental illness, addiction, recovery, anxiety and generally resetting your demons. It also shares fun tips on enjoying life too."

The latest newsletter - https://samdelaney.substack.com/p/th...tm_source=copy

As I said, I`m not a contributer to this thread but just thought this might be worth sharing.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I subscribe to a newsletter penned by Sam Delaney, a podcaster who co-hosts Top Flight Time Machine. I`ve not had the need to seek guidance on mental health before, nor have I read this thread, but I`m aware of this threads presence and the help, comfort and advice many appear to gain from it. Not sure if this is appropriate content or not, and Delaney might not be everyones cup of tea, but might be of interest to some who can identify with it and may like to subscribe for the regular emails. Basically he describes it as such - " This letter shares advice, tips and personal experiences on mental illness, addiction, recovery, anxiety and generally resetting your demons. It also shares fun tips on enjoying life too."

As I said, I`m not a contributer to this thread but just thought this might be worth sharing.
    I subscribe to that as well, it’s excellent - great recommendation.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

That is a good read. Thanks for sharing.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    I think today’s announcement, even though its not as bad as I feared, will sadly tip a lot of teenagers and young adults into a severe depression with some terrifying consequences.

Just following up that it appears that today two young men in Edinburghhave sadly decided they just can’t take any more.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Just following up that it appears that today two young men in Edinburghhave sadly decided they just can’t take any more.
    That’s tragic, is there anything to link the two deaths to the extended lockdown decision?

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    That’s tragic, is there anything to link the two deaths to the extended lockdown decision?
    Do you think lockdown with no social release valve helps when your as low as it goes?

That’s sadly four young men in the space of four days, it’s absolutely tragic.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Do you think lockdown with no social release valve helps when your as low as it goes?

That’s sadly four young men in the space of four days, it’s absolutely tragic.
    I don’t think it helps at all, but i would be reluctant to put 2 and 2 together to link them in these specific cases without some knowledge of them.

It may very well be that was the tipping point, but it could be any number of reasons and it’s probably not appropriate to speculate.

I hold my hands up and say i don’t know anything about the deaths other than to say that they’re tragic, my question wasn’t meant to be arsey so i apologise if that’s how it came across, i was genuinely curious if there was a known link to lockdown that caused it out of that was just speculation.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd just like to say how much I appreciate this thread.

Simply knowing that there are other people who suffer from anxiety and depression is, in my view a great support.

I read this thread a lot but rarely contribute.

Has anyone read about or tried open / cold water swimming? If not, there is evidence that it may be helpful for some.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post

Simply knowing that there are other people who suffer from anxiety and depression is, in my view a great support.

Has anyone read about or tried open / cold water swimming? If not, there is evidence that it may be helpful for some.
    I dip 2 or 3 times a week but I just go in to meditate and feel the buzz of endorphins..Ive been doing it for a couple of years now but prefer going in now because at this time of your rather than summer as no one expects you to have to actually swim. So I get the bump of endorphins kicking into action & I get the chance to focus the mind and stop fighting back on the shock. Its been shown to stimulate the vegus nerve which helps with relaxation.

Ive friends who do it for mental health benefits and it has made a massive difference to their lives. The danger with attaching welling to any external thing is that if that thing isnt available any more (certainly this is the case for so many during lockdown)..That perceived happy place is no longer there which isnt true.

I certainly recommend it but I would ease into it. Start of with cold showers and increase you tolerence..If you do go it a go 100% do it with someone else, even if your not swimming just dipping

Wim Hoffs new book has plenty of info (IVe not read it but I have done his foundation course & have been following the breathwork, press ups & cold showers for a couple of years)..Heres a link to his page https://www.wimhofmethod.com/vagus-nerve-stimulation
    Last edited by Dalianwanda; 05-01-2021 at 07:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I don’t think it helps at all, but i would be reluctant to put 2 and 2 together to link them in these specific cases without some knowledge of them.

It may very well be that was the tipping point, but it could be any number of reasons and it’s probably not appropriate to speculate.
    I think that's right. When my partner died from suicide the story was in the media. Below one report, the comments section had people pontificating on the reasons for her death, mainly about the political climate contributing to the incident. It was nothing about that and everything to do with her mental health. It didn't particularly bother me but it doesn't feel very sensitive.

I'm sorry to hear about the four deaths in Edinburgh. Similar happened here just before Christmas with four deaths in four days. There's a lot being said about support for people with mental health problems coinciding with the pandemic. Far less actually being done about it though sadly.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

It does help enormously. I’ve had to make some adjustments to my own circumstances recently as I recognise the signs having seen close friends take the ultimate decision not to continue which forced me into privately reading up on as much as I can on mental health.

Our work has been fantastic with some inspirational guest speakers and the leadership team has been amazing.

Having seen the collateral damage caused by suicide, I’m as certain as I can be, that I’d never join my old mucker for a pint until nature takes its course. So the very few on here that do know me personally don’t need to worry..

Being brutally honest this site itself can be respite or hell.. hence why recently I tried (and failed) to remind posters that there’s a human at the end of every fake user name. Debate is great and I love it as much as anyone but pathetically I let it get to me when it became a little personal (which is the pathetic part as here’s me using a moniker!) That’s not a dig at anyone but I try my best these days to read things back and question if I’m debating or baiting.

Ive always worked as hard as I could to strive to provide better for my family and to play as hard as I can. That latter element has been gone now for almost a year. I know I’m not alone in what I’m saying and I’m thankful that I still have employment.. god only knows what I’d be like without that.

So I’d say keep reading positive stuff (Ant Middleton’s book on resilience was brilliant for me), confide in people, open up and be yourself as your likely to be great.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It does help enormously. I’ve had to make some adjustments to my own circumstances recently as I recognise the signs having seen close friends take the ultimate decision not to continue which forced me into privately reading up on as much as I can on mental health.

Our work has been fantastic with some inspirational guest speakers and the leadership team has been amazing.

Having seen the collateral damage caused by suicide, I’m as certain as I can be, that I’d never join my old mucker for a pint until nature takes its course. So the very few on here that do know me personally don’t need to worry..

Being brutally honest this site itself can be respite or hell.. hence why recently I tried (and failed) to remind posters that there’s a human at the end of every fake user name. Debate is great and I love it as much as anyone but pathetically I let it get to me when it became a little personal (which is the pathetic part as here’s me using a moniker!) That’s not a dig at anyone but I try my best these days to read things back and question if I’m debating or baiting.

Ive always worked as hard as I could to strive to provide better for my family and to play as hard as I can. That latter element has been gone now for almost a year. I know I’m not alone in what I’m saying and I’m thankful that I still have employment.. god only knows what I’d be like without that.

So I’d say keep reading positive stuff (Ant Middleton’s book on resilience was brilliant for me), confide in people, open up and be yourself as your likely to be great.
    Good post.

I had a friend who committed suicide a few weeks back.

My nan died about an hour before I was told my mate and the lad who phoned me to tell me had also lost a baby.

Bit of a shocker of a day that. 2020 was worst ever with catching covid too.

I seem to be holding up quite well considering. If anyone needs a chat message me.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I dip 2 or 3 times a week but I just go in to meditate and feel the buzz of endorphins..Ive been doing it for a couple of years now but prefer going in now because at this time of your rather than summer as no one expects you to have to actually swim. So I get the bump of endorphins kicking into action & I get the chance to focus the mind and stop fighting back on the shock. Its been shown to stimulate the vegus nerve which helps with relaxation.

Ive friends who do it for mental health benefits and it has made a massive difference to their lives. The danger with attaching welling to any external thing is that if that thing isnt available any more (certainly this is the case for so many during lockdown)..That perceived happy place is no longer there which isnt true.

I certainly recommend it but I would ease into it. Start of with cold showers and increase you tolerence..If you do go it a go 100% do it with someone else, even if your not swimming just dipping

Wim Hoffs new book has plenty of info (IVe not read it but I have done his foundation course & have been following the breathwork, press ups & cold showers for a couple of years)..Heres a link to his page https://www.wimhofmethod.com/vagus-nerve-stimulation
    This is terrific Dalianwanda and I really appreciate the advice. You anticipated some of my questions which is great and I will certainly follow up on the book.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    I had a friend who committed suicide a few weeks back.

My nan died about an hour before I was told my mate and the lad who phoned me to tell me had also lost a baby.

Bit of a shocker of a day that. 2020 was worst ever with catching covid too.

I seem to be holding up quite well considering. If anyone needs a chat message me.
    I'm glad you're doing as well as possible. It's strange how these things can happen in clusters in a tragic coincidence. You experienced a lot in a short space of time.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Blog Entries
    This is terrific Dalianwanda and I really appreciate the advice. You anticipated some of my questions which is great and I will certainly follow up on the book.
    No worries, i forgot to mention getting in with others can be a pretty good laugh. Not taking yourself to seriously is part of he appeal :-)

I've been listening to Wim Hof podcasts & audio books for about a year now. Fantastic, such a positive guy!

Have a cold shower every morning for about 15mins. Totally invigorates you and strangely raises your mood for the day ahead.

Sadly I still haven't plucked up the courage to get into the sea yet.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    I've been listening to Wim Hof podcasts & audio books for about a year now. Fantastic, such a positive guy!

Have a cold shower every morning for about 15mins. Totally invigorates you and strangely raises your mood for the day ahead.

Sadly I still haven't plucked up the courage to get into the sea yet.
    I’ve tried the cold shower thing and it’s horrific. It actually puts me in a bad mood because I’m voluntarily making myself cold and uncomfortable 😂
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    I’ve tried the cold shower thing and it’s horrific. It actually puts me in a bad mood because I’m voluntarily making myself cold and uncomfortable 😂
    You do get used to them...honest

Blog Entries
    Maybe your water wasn’t cold enough :-)
    That’s part of it. Teaching yourself not to react and all the mind to add labels :-) I only do 5mins cold shower, i think 2mins provides the health benefits, more than that is just about allowing and endurance.

A few bodies in the water at Porty this afternoon, no thanks! 😲

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    A few bodies in the water at Porty this afternoon, no thanks! 😲
    Matty_f been out slaying again I take it? Jail is too good for that monster.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Matty_f been out slaying again I take it? Jail is too good for that monster.
    He's gonna need a bigger boat!

@hibs.net private member whereswallace?'s Avatar
    Evening all, I thought I’d share something I posted on my Facebook early last week after a few tragic incidents pretty close to home recently.

Today was the first walk and around 20 people joined me, socially distanced, and it seemed to be exactly what a few of them needed.

I hadn’t realised this post was in here so thought I’d share it here incase it touches anything in anybody who may need it. I will be doing it every Sunday. I know some may say it’s against current rules but it can be done keeping to them and I just feel it’s better than doing nothing.

* Wow this has got so much attention. Please note this is on Sunday at 10am*

This week I’ve read about two (sadly 3 the day after this post) young men from
    Edinburgh who have tragically taken their own lives, leaving behind them so much pain and misery for family and friends.

This whole Covid/lockdown situation is really impacting people who may already have been struggling. The constant doom and gloom in the news and social media every day must surely be taking its toll.

I’ve shared numerous posts encouraging men in particular to speak out if they are struggling and i again encourage anybody no matter age or gender to please talk to someone if things get too much. My messages are always open, I may not be an expert but I promise to listen and not judge.

In my role as a football manager, I’ve spoken to many young men with troubles and try to help and understand as best I can. Please believe me, I’ve been there myself. I struggle too and I’m probably the worlds worst for bottling things up but I’m not too proud to admit it now if it helps somebody else.

I want to do something about this because it genuinely worries me.

There’s not a lot I can do but starting this Sunday morning, I want to keep it simple and just go out for a walk , socially distanced of course, and get out the house and take some fresh air in and clear the head.

This is an open invite to anybody who may be struggling, who has struggled or simply could do with the company and exercise for an hour or two! I’ll be there on my own anyway so it would be good to have some company.

You don’t even have to know me, we don’t have to be friends. you don’t even have to speak about anything, put the earphones in and zone out as we take a stroll but please don’t be shy in just coming along if you need to. There won’t be any social media pics or anything like that.

Nobody will ask any questions or judge. Let’s just go for a wee walk to clear the head and show some support for each other.

Please share this status and encourage people to come along if you think they need it, come
    Along if you need it. Bring the dog, bring the bairn in a buggy if you have to but let’s get out and spend a wee bit time clearing the head and seeing that everything isn’t bad and more importantly that you are not alone. There are people that care, you might not even know them yet!

Let’s go for this week 10am, Sunday.
    Starting at Gypsy Brae, Granton and walk along to Cramond and back. Probably take about an hour.

If you’re not sure where it is or have any questions at all please private message me.

Get sharing please 💚🤝
    [IMG]381313_2307180833812_1078031841_2523339_2139902811 _n[/IMG]

Great initiative.💚