hibs.net Messageboard

Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How’s things been since then mate? Hope things are going as well as they can.
    Been.rough over xmas but Ive survived and every day is small steps but getting there. Ive let myself down twice by going back to alcohol I know it's not the solution but had to get it out my system in a way. Apart from last nights score all in all a decent festive period.
    Thanks for asking pal.

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pontius pilate View Post
    Been.rough over xmas but Ive survived and every day is small steps but getting there. Ive let myself down twice by going back to alcohol I know it's not the solution but had to get it out my system in a way. Apart from last nights score all in all a decent festive period.
    Thanks for asking pal.

GGTTH
    Hang in there; small victories etc. Don't beat yourself up because not everything is going perfectly. It's overall progress, in the face of challenges, that matters.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    January always feels like it's a year long in its own right, but the end is in sight at last! I'm definitely looking forward to the lighter nights arriving and the better weather rolling around again.

I'm not sure if anyone on here has posted about this, but I'm wondering whether there are any in our little group who are either diagnosed with, or have reason to believe they have PTSD?

My wife reckons I have PTSD stemming from when our daughter was born. Her arrival was incredibly difficult, resulting in emergency cuts and baby having to be resucitated when she was eventually delivered - I was simply pushed into a room by the midwives out the way and spent 10 minutes not knowing what was going on - inconsolable is not a word I use lightly, and I genuinely feared the worst. Since then (almost 2 years later now), my moods have been very volatile indeed. I get angry quite quickly, overly emotional and worried whenever she's unwell and don't react well to fight or flight situations that never once would have phased me.

I'm well aware PTSD in men is typically reserved for army veterans or people who work in high-stress situations (e.g., trauma doctors, paramedics, firefighters, police etc) but I think it has increasingly been realised as something that impacts new father's. I'm definitely considering speaking to my GP about it, as the situations don't feel the same as when my anxiety/depression is especially bad. It's a heightened state of awareness, it's a rage and it's almost like an out of body experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    January always feels like it's a year long in its own right, but the end is in sight at last! I'm definitely looking forward to the lighter nights arriving and the better weather rolling around again.

I'm not sure if anyone on here has posted about this, but I'm wondering whether there are any in our little group who are either diagnosed with, or have reason to believe they have PTSD?

My wife reckons I have PTSD stemming from when our daughter was born. Her arrival was incredibly difficult, resulting in emergency cuts and baby having to be resucitated when she was eventually delivered - I was simply pushed into a room by the midwives out the way and spent 10 minutes not knowing what was going on - inconsolable is not a word I use lightly, and I genuinely feared the worst. Since then (almost 2 years later now), my moods have been very volatile indeed. I get angry quite quickly, overly emotional and worried whenever she's unwell and don't react well to fight or flight situations that never once would have phased me.

I'm well aware PTSD in men is typically reserved for army veterans or people who work in high-stress situations (e.g., trauma doctors, paramedics, firefighters, police etc) but I think it has increasingly been realised as something that impacts new father's. I'm definitely considering speaking to my GP about it, as the situations don't feel the same as when my anxiety/depression is especially bad. It's a heightened state of awareness, it's a rage and it's almost like an out of body experience.
    Have no knowledge of the condition mate but I would say definitely consult your GP if it’s on your mind. Incidentally, sorry to hear you’ve had such a rough time of things and hope the near future holds brighter days for you.

Hi mate,
    it is something I have go to your gp and open up is the best advice I can give. It may well be that you could have the male version of post natal depression. Believe it or not the highest percentage of ptsd sufferers are sexual assualt victims.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I'm well aware PTSD in men is typically reserved for army veterans or people who work in high-stress situations (e.g., trauma doctors, paramedics, firefighters, police etc) but I think it has increasingly been realised as something that impacts new father's.[...]It's a heightened state of awareness,
    Not so much really (the first point). What you describe is a common perception and I can certainly understand why. We can also, for instance include people who are survivors of sexual assault, suicide, various accidents and traumatic events - which they were part of not part of, such as close ones suffering like you mention. Not everyone with PTSD has personally experienced a traumatic event either.

I had a client diagnosed with PTSD who had been through several medical operations several years ago. Clearly in his case traumatic events.

The heightened state of awareness you describe is very symptomatic of anxiety generally. Always looking much more acutely at matters than others being 'ready' and antipicating something bad will happen. Perhaps there is a clue there.

I would most definitely encourage to report this to your GP and i wish you well, Sylar.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Has anybody else found that their GP is a complete waste of time when it comes to mental health issues?

I’ve been to see two different GPs within my surgery recently about depression and severe problems sleeping and not really got anywhere. All they are willing to do is give me a print out listing websites that I’ve already visited several times before I even went to the doctor and a crappy CD of a guided relaxation (which is for the depression, not the sleeping BTW). The best advice one of them could give was “the best thing to do in this situation would be speak to a sibling” which is all well and good except I’m an only child. I’ve also been told I can’t be that bad because I’m going to work (well that would be because work is actually a form of escape).

On an unrelated matter, I went about a phobia a few years ago and the GP didn’t have a clue what to do and had to google what to do and just told me what I already knew before telling me there was a multi year waiting list for CBT so I just had to grin and bear it.

I've read this thread quite a bit, while feeling low. Recent events in my life seem to have tipped me over the edge, I think I may have been suffering a long time, with depression. It has now cost me my relationship and some close friends, which I don't have many of in Sweden. I already see a psychologist weekly and while it helps, the feelings of despair return after a few days. I've now booked to talk to someone about being prescribed antidepressants after recommendation from my psychologist. I've tried the usual tools such as exersice and daily routine, just lost all lust for life. What I'm getting at is does anybody have recommendations other than antidepressants and the aforementioned tools.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    I've read this thread quite a bit, while feeling low. Recent events in my life seem to have tipped me over the edge, I think I may have been suffering a long time, with depression. It has now cost me my relationship and some close friends, which I don't have many of in Sweden. I already see a psychologist weekly and while it helps, the feelings of despair return after a few days. I've now booked to talk to someone about being prescribed antidepressants after recommendation from my psychologist. I've tried the usual tools such as exersice and daily routine, just lost all lust for life. What I'm getting at is does anybody have recommendations other than antidepressants and the aforementioned tools.
    The bit that sticks out for me is "Sweden".

You'll have had a much darker winter than we have in Scotland; I know that many people close to me suffer because of the lack of light here, so it must be worse for you guys.

Spring is on its way, though, and with it some much-needed light. If it's possible, I would try to get out into natural light as often as you can. Exercise is key to my own recovery, but motivation can be a struggle when it's so grey outside.

Your medication may help you bridge a gap, though, to put you in a more balanced place where you can have a greater sense of control over your mental health.

And maybe think about a light box?
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 04-02-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The bit that sticks out for me is "Sweden".

You'll have had a much darker winter than we have in Scotland; I know that many people close to me suffer because of the lack of light here, so it must be worse for you guys.

Spring is on its way, though, and with it some much-needed light. If it's possible, I would try to get out into natural light as often as you can. Exercise is key to my own recovery, but motivation can be a struggle when it's so grey outside.

Your medication may help you bridge a gap, though, to put you in a more balanced place where you can have a greater sense of control over your mental health.

And maybe think about a light box?

Appreciate this Crops, I've been trying the things you suggest but like you say maybe the medicine will help pull it all together. Lights may be an option haven't tried one of those yet.

BBC News - Scottish researchers find 100 genes linked to depression
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47118009

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Appreciate this Crops, I've been trying the things you suggest but like you say maybe the medicine will help pull it all together. Lights may be an option haven't tried one of those yet.
    Some times we can try to hard to change the way we think or the way we feel. Truth is these are always on the move so it can be hit and miss applying techniques or thinking you need to do something to do better . As well as what has already been mentioned by you and crops I look at not so much focussing on the content of your thoughts (always on the move) and start hanging a bit more with awareness (the thing thats aware of your thoughts)..Awareness is always still. Its what everything you have ever experienced has gone through. SO rather than trying to change mood or thoughts let them do what they do (which is keep on moving if you do nothing with them)..Play with pointing back at the source of everything rather than trying to change what flits through it...Theres lots of weighty books on the subject but one Ive enjoyed and have used in classes is Liberation Is - by Salvadore Poe..Simply written and lots of rest in between messages to let them sink in/settle/assimilate..If you ever want a chat on skype just let me know.

What a great thread this is. I’ll bet there’s a good few posters benefitting from it, not only from direct advice but also simply the reading and sharing of experiences.

I’m not someone that suffers from depression (though someone very close to me does) and I think this thread is brilliant.. hopefully it’s therefore useful to those that are battling.

I've been listening a fair bit recently to a "Feel Better, Live More" podcast from Dr Ranjan ChatterJee which has led to me buying his book - the 4 pillar plan about how eat/sleep/relax/move can be key to a longer, healthier life.

My own depression and anxiety stems a lot from a backinjury I’ve been unable to resolve but probably never truly identified that wasthe root cause. One specific podcast around how inflammation in the body is a keydriver for depression and anxiety articulated my condition probably better thanI ever have or doctor has ever diagnosed.

If you're looking for something a little different from the usual stuff online or from what your GP says/prescribes, I recommend checking out the podcast/book as I now have a plan in place for each of the 4 pillars and am feeling pretty strong/good/positive about it for a change

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    I've been listening a fair bit recently to a "Feel Better, Live More" podcast from Dr Ranjan ChatterJee which has led to me buying his book - the 4 pillar plan about how eat/sleep/relax/move can be key to a longer, healthier life.

My own depression and anxiety stems a lot from a backinjury I’ve been unable to resolve but probably never truly identified that wasthe root cause. One specific podcast around how inflammation in the body is a keydriver for depression and anxiety articulated my condition probably better thanI ever have or doctor has ever diagnosed.

If you're looking for something a little different from the usual stuff online or from what your GP says/prescribes, I recommend checking out the podcast/book as I now have a plan in place for each of the 4 pillars and am feeling pretty strong/good/positive about it for a change

Try taking magnesium, one tablet a day of magnesium can significantly reduce anxiety and depression. Also look into taking vitamin C. Doctors don’t mention vitamins and minerals!

Don't want to hijack the thread as i've never been diagnosed with depression or mental illnesses. However like most people I do feel down from time to time, more so in the winter, infact in the winter I do get very very low to the stage i've went to see a doctor etc. Anyway, last September I binned all social media. I was never a massive user but Insta, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter etc the whole lot got binned. Not just uninstalled but deleted the accounts and all i can say is what a massive massive difference to me its been. My mindset over the winter has been great, havn't bothered with the light therapy or vitamin c etc yet feeling pretty darn good.

Been doing some reading about social media and mental health and there does appear to be a link which i felt a bit strange as i'm not a jealous or materialistic person and very content with life. Anyway, it might be worth a try for some of you guys out there. I havn't missed it in the slightest and replaced the time wasted on social media with magazines or books and feel all the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread as i've never been diagnosed with depression or mental illnesses. However like most people I do feel down from time to time, more so in the winter, infact in the winter I do get very very low to the stage i've went to see a doctor etc. Anyway, last September I binned all social media. I was never a massive user but Insta, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter etc the whole lot got binned. Not just uninstalled but deleted the accounts and all i can say is what a massive massive difference to me its been. My mindset over the winter has been great, havn't bothered with the light therapy or vitamin c etc yet feeling pretty darn good.

Been doing some reading about social media and mental health and there does appear to be a link which i felt a bit strange as i'm not a jealous or materialistic person and very content with life. Anyway, it might be worth a try for some of you guys out there. I havn't missed it in the slightest and replaced the time wasted on social media with magazines or books and feel all the better for it.
    I don't think this is a hijack at all. There's a lot to be said for what you've done.

Apart from the physiological effects of being online a lot (blue light, poor sleeping patterns etc), there's also the psychological effects. It's very easy to have that feeling of FOMO when we're on social media.... everyone else's life is so much better than mine etc etc. Add to that the addictive feelings that go along with it, and the resultant guilt and anxiety.

Nice one

@hibs.net private member
    It’s been recommended to me to listen to Binaural Beats at night when going to sleep to help with anxiety. I’ve been putting them on for the past week and I have to say I feel a lot better. I don’t have any evidence to show that it’s due to this but all I can say is it’s night and day in how I’ve felt over the last week and can’t remember feeling so relaxed and even confident. Has anyone used this technique before? It’s definitely something to try if u haven’t already and are struggling with anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    It’s been recommended to me to listen to Binaural Beats at night when going to sleep to help with anxiety. I’ve been putting them on for the past week and I have to say I feel a lot better. I don’t have any evidence to show that it’s due to this but all I can say is it’s night and day in how I’ve felt over the last week and can’t remember feeling so relaxed and even confident. Has anyone used this technique before? It’s definitely something to try if u haven’t already and are struggling with anxiety.
    I sometimes use something similar when I'm stressed and not sleeping well. As has often been said, good sleeping patterns are crucial for good mental health.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...-mental-health

Only very slightly off topic and i found it very interesting.

@hibs.net private member
    I read that article earlier today (and have been reading this thread over the weekend as an going though a bad episode of anxiety and there’s a lot of good advice and support on this thread). The guardian article is helpful as it is the pursuit of perfection which can cause so much stress and anxiety, which when coupled with a blame culture which I have in work, can be really toxic. Trying a range of coping strategies which haven’t been working (but am physically fitter as am exercising a lot) but have completely given up caffeine which is a major stressor. Certainly seem a bit calmer but have a banging heid with withdrawal symptoms! I’ll take that though if it helps manage the anxiety. Also have told my boss and HR. Talking really does help

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    I read that article earlier today (and have been reading this thread over the weekend as an going though a bad episode of anxiety and there’s a lot of good advice and support on this thread). The guardian article is helpful as it is the pursuit of perfection which can cause so much stress and anxiety, which when coupled with a blame culture which I have in work, can be really toxic. Trying a range of coping strategies which haven’t been working (but am physically fitter as am exercising a lot) but have completely given up caffeine which is a major stressor. Certainly seem a bit calmer but have a banging heid with withdrawal symptoms! I’ll take that though if it helps manage the anxiety. Also have told my boss and HR. Talking really does help
    Got your back T as you have always got mine.

Talking of sleep music I can recomend Moby's website where he gives out long mixes for sleep and relaxation no charge
    moby sleep music, Google it.
    Tom Middleton has a sleep CD which is really good Sleep Better https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07923JSCF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fEvFCb8N1MWEK plus the longest one I know which is Sleep https://g.co/kgs/QBZ3WD
    I have not managed to last the whole thing and it is available as a shorter project on CD
    Hope this helps

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I sometimes use something similar when I'm stressed and not sleeping well. As has often been said, good sleeping patterns are crucial for good mental health.
    I had a horrific time sleeping when I was in the motor trade and binaural beats and the like often made a good difference. You're quite right about sleeping patterns though, since leaving to a job with a lot less stress I have been able to sleep better and others have commented that I come across as a totally different person. Even the fact I had to take a huge pay cut to do it is easier to deal with because I'm rested and can plan better.

I still have occasional issues with anxiety and stress but since getting the sleeping down it's nowhere near as bad. Lush do a body rub that is scented with lavender and tonka bean that knocks me out (and I know others who say the same), that, the binaural beats or subliminal messages and taking half an hour before bed to do nothing but listen to some chilled out music to actually stop for a bit in the day makes a big difference.

I realise that it's a case study of one but those things combined are usually pretty effective for me.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Thanks for asking pal.

GGTTH
    How are things going, pp? Hope you're doing well

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/camp...awareness-week

Would hate to see this thread disappear so BUMP! It is mental health awareness week so an appropriate time for bumpage.
    This thread has helped many and will be a big help to some who have never seen it before.
    Last edited by wpj; 14-05-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    How are things going, pp? Hope you're doing well
    Hi mate sorry it's taken time to get back to you. Just now everything is balanced working with professionals and other organisations to help get myself back on track. Hopefully starting college in August I got accepted with an unconditional offer for introduction to counselling. As I've always said when I get into the black hole it's really only me who can bring myself out obviously with the right support in place but again I have to ask for the support if nobody knows how can they help

Thanks for asking bud.

Hope all is well for others going through this hard time.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Looking for some advice on experiences with anti depressants and sleep.

I am really bad at remembering to take my meds first thing in the morning and recently I've been taking it in the evening,I'm not sure if it is linked but since then my sleep is being ruined by horrific dreams. I have had some really messed up dreams which are almost impossible to comprehend. I am on pro longed release 37.5mg venlafaxine. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I take slow release tablets for a non mental health condition and have been advised to take them in the mornings. I am on about ten tablets in the mornings, a few in the lunchtime and several at night. Although I am asked to take them with or without food I simply can't and take them when I can. Best to ask your GP maybe set an alarm to remind you.

Hi mate sorry it's taken time to get back to you. Just now everything is balanced working with professionals and other organisations to help get myself back on track. Hopefully starting college in August I got accepted with an unconditional offer for introduction to counselling. As I've always said when I get into the black hole it's really only me who can bring myself out obviously with the right support in place but again I have to ask for the support if nobody knows how can they help

Thanks for asking bud.

Hope all is well for others going through this hard time.
    I'm really glad you are doing something like that and looking ahead. It takes inner strength to come through and re-build, even with the great help of others. I really hope it works out for you at college. Do it and give yourself that chance.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar