hibs.net Messageboard

Page 30 of 67 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First time speaking about this to any1 but my family but it’s become clear that I’m struggling with Health Anxiety, I’m not sure how severe it is for me but I know I definitely have a problem with it and it’s been like this for the past 6 months I’d say. I’m not anxious about becoming ill with everyday illness I’m more concerned about any type of cancer and I’m scared for my future aswell. I’m convincing myself that any little change in is an early sign of it and I’m straight to my GP, I can tell they are becoming a little fed up of me but I can’t help it. I would like to know if any1 can point me in the right direction of a good CBT therapist as I think this might be the way to go. Sorry if this post is bringing issues back up with others I’m just looking to get some help. Thanks in advance
    Whilst I can't help you re therapists, I don't think anyone will ever have to apologise for posting on this thread, good luck with getting the help you're looking for.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    First time speaking about this to any1 but my family but it’s become clear that I’m struggling with Health Anxiety, I’m not sure how severe it is for me but I know I definitely have a problem with it and it’s been like this for the past 6 months I’d say. I’m not anxious about becoming ill with everyday illness I’m more concerned about any type of cancer and I’m scared for my future aswell. I’m convincing myself that any little change in is an early sign of it and I’m straight to my GP, I can tell they are becoming a little fed up of me but I can’t help it. I would like to know if any1 can point me in the right direction of a good CBT therapist as I think this might be the way to go. Sorry if this post is bringing issues back up with others I’m just looking to get some help. Thanks in advance
    Sorry to hear of your problems with anxiety. Anxiety can present itself as a number of different disorders such as Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety, Agorophobia and Panic Disorder etc. Sometimes they occur alongside other mental health disorders such as depression or personality disorder.

Your GP is the normal gateway to talking therapies such as CBT. He can refer you to a therapist through the NHS, albeit there may be a waiting list. The service is called IAPT (Improving Access To Psychological Therapy). It can include treatment programmes of one-to-one therapy, counselling or group therapy. Formerly, IAPT was solely based on CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) but it now employs other types of therapies such as Humanistic Therapy, Psychodynamic and Integrative Therapy etc.

It's a good idea to know a little about the different types of therapies and how they work/which might be most apt for you, so you could ask your GP about that. I wondered why you were focused on CBT? (Not that it's necessarily a bad idea). CBT has been largely used by the NHS arguably due to its relative cheapness to provide and it being measureable for results - not because it is 'better' for the job (nor is it necessarily 'worse'). This doesn't mean that it's inferior in any way as it's very good for some things, for example addiction, it is also used widely for depression and anxiety. Sometimes however, there is a need to explore more deeply into a disorder as opposed to what some deride it as - a 'sticking plaster' approach. The bottom line is that some people respond well to certain therapies while others need something different. Good luck.

It's interesting to note that amidst the furore and comment involving Neil Lennon and the coin throwing incident, I've seen no particular comment about Neil's mental health and a possible connection with his reaction in considering his future at Hibs. Perhaps pertinent on a wider basis for mental health is that his past problems are largely ignored or overlooked when trouble comes calling.

I understand it's not up for public scrutiny and his dignity should be protected but it concerns me the great pressure he is constantly under - uniquely so in Scottish football. An emotional and mercurial man he undoubtedly is but I also wonder if he has been considering the pressure that comes with him working in Scotland for some time rather than what on the face of things might seem an emotional reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    It's interesting to note that amidst the furore and comment involving Neil Lennon and the coin throwing incident, I've seen no particular comment about Neil's mental health and a possible connection with his reaction in considering his future at Hibs. Perhaps pertinent on a wider basis for mental health is that his past problems are largely ignored or overlooked when trouble comes calling.

I understand it's not up for public scrutiny and his dignity should be protected but it concerns me the great pressure he is constantly under - uniquely so in Scottish football. An emotional and mercurial man he undoubtedly is but I also wonder if he has been considering the pressure that comes with him working in Scotland for some time rather than what on the face of things might seem an emotional reaction.
    What were the circumstances surrounding his departure from Celtic?

I can't really remember, but I do recall becoming fed up of all the off-field nonsense played a part.

It would be a desperately sad day for our nation and a real eye-opener for us all if the same were to happen to him with us.

I just can't climb out of the depths of depression I'm currently experiencing - no matter how hard I try to combat the onset of recurring episodes.

This time of year, combined with fighting a 20 year ongoing eating disorder, and the perpetual bouts of depression associated, is taking its toll upon me both mentally and physically.

I've exhausted what seems like every avenue available to me in terms of help, but without any discernable success, or improvement in my condition.

I'm 39 in a few weeks time, and these illnesses have cost me family, friends, relationships, jobs and a career. Repeated attempts to manage my condition have been largely fruitless, and the overriding emotion (amongst a great many) is one of absolute exhaustion.

It was only in the last few years that I divulged my struggles publicly, and whilst supported by a great many, the stigma that is still attached to these pernicious illnesses remains an almost daily experience.

A case in point, was me commenting last week that I wasn't feeling great (due to the illnesses mentioned), only to be met with the following comment from a family member: "So how did you manage to go to the game on Wednesday then?"

It may seem a harmless comment to many, but it's really had a profound effect upon me, and left me feeling even more depressed and vulnerable than I already was.

I just don't know where to go from here in terms of help or recovery.
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 04-11-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Firstly I'd like to say I'm fortunate enough not to have suffered from depression but have been directly involved with it in the past.

I occasionally pop in here to read what's going on because it pleases me to think that those suffering have this thread for mutual support. I applaud all of you for talking openly about a subject that still carries stigma with it. Attitudes seem to be changing slowly and I put that down to people being brave enough to talk openly in public like a lot of you guys do on here.

One thing that has struck me about those sharing their experiences on here is that everyone without exception, shows great communication skills and above average intelligence. It's got me thinking that maybe that is a factor that plays a role in this disease? It would interest me to hear some of your thoughts on that theory.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Firstly I'd like to say I'm fortunate enough not to have suffered from depression but have been directly involved with it in the past.

I occasionally pop in here to read what's going on because it pleases me to think that those suffering have this thread for mutual support. I applaud all of you for talking openly about a subject that still carries stigma with it. Attitudes seem to be changing slowly and I put that down to people being brave enough to talk openly in public like a lot of you guys do on here.

One thing that has struck me about those sharing their experiences on here is that everyone without exception, shows great communication skills and above average intelligence. It's got me thinking that maybe that is a factor that plays a role in this disease? It would interest me to hear some of your thoughts on that theory.
    I'm not sure that those factors play any part. Depression and anxiety tend not to discriminate along those lines.

I'd suggest, though, that those who post here are confident in their ability to communicate, and feel secure enough to do so. But I'd also expect that there are many others, with similar experiences, who don't post because they feel they "can't" or "shouldn't". This thread is, of course, as much for them as it is for those who do post.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post

I completed a first aid course in mental health last week, giving me some insights into depression and anxiety that I didn't have before and I certainly feel I learned at lot at helping people who are in absolute crisis.

I absolutely do think people of a higher intelligence are more prone to bouts of depression and anxiety - I work in Higher Education as a lecturer at both a Scottish and American university and I encounter a substantial amount of people that suffer from depression or anxiety - part of that is the pressure of the environment, part of that is the type of person that's attracted to advanced study or a career in such a sector. The pressure is phenomenal, but those that I've encountered who I would put into your category of "above average intelligence" definitely over-analyse, self-critique and replay situations (especially negative ones), and it often reinforces an already installed idea of low personal worth.

However, it really can impact people of all education levels or backgrounds - I just wonder if perhaps those who fit your category are better placed to rationalise the problem and use their voice and experience to try and break the cycle for others?

Its anxiety that kicks my ass, I wake up at 3 or 4 then have a full on panic attack. I have now started to get out of bed and do something but it is exhausting. I describe it like the Dr Who intro years ago, so much stuff coming at me. The following depression is horrible but I can manage it better then the panic attacks

Promising Youngster Shore Thing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    I just can't climb out of the depths of depression I'm currently experiencing - no matter how hard I try to combat the onset of recurring episodes...
    ...the overriding emotion (amongst a great many) is one of absolute exhaustion...
    ...I just don't know where to go from here in terms of help or recovery.
    Hey Chorley Hibee. It takes a lot of strength to talk about this stuff so well done for putting your struggle out there.
    I hope you’re managing to get through this dark, miserable time of the year, and that your birthday goes/or went ok. Sorry that you had an insensitive response from your family- folk just don’t understand and don’t realise the impact of their words.
    What you’re describing must ring true with most people who contribute to this thread. The mental and physical exhaustion, and the effect this has on your life, relationships and jobs etc. So, as little use as it might be for me to say it, you’re not alone.
    From what you’ve described it sounds like you’ve tried various methods to help fix the problem. I suppose the cause is different for everyone, and so are the ways of dealing with it.
    The important thing to remember is that you CAN get through it and things will get better.
    It’s not ‘you’ that’s causing this, it’s the fact that your brain, body or circumstances are working against you at the moment. And they can all be fixed.
    There is help available, whether it’s medication, therapy, books or help groups.
    I suppose all we can do is keep asking and eventually we’ll find something that works. As others have suggested, your GP can hopefully help guide you in the right direction. If you’ve already tried that, maybe keep chatting here and someone will give you some good ideas.

I hope that wasn’t too patronising. All the best mate. Feel free to PM
    Last edited by Shore Thing; 29-11-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Really sorry to read of your past struggles, CH. It sounds as though over a protracted period you have tried many possible treatments for your depression. I wonder if you would be happy to share some of the things you have tried and relate what, if anything, helped you even just a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    I just can't climb out of the depths of depression I'm currently experiencing - no matter how hard I try to combat the onset of recurring episodes.

This time of year, combined with fighting a 20 year ongoing eating disorder, and the perpetual bouts of depression associated, is taking its toll upon me both mentally and physically.

I've exhausted what seems like every avenue available to me in terms of help, but without any discernable success, or improvement in my condition.

I'm 39 in a few weeks time, and these illnesses have cost me family, friends, relationships, jobs and a career. Repeated attempts to manage my condition have been largely fruitless, and the overriding emotion (amongst a great many) is one of absolute exhaustion.

It was only in the last few years that I divulged my struggles publicly, and whilst supported by a great many, the stigma that is still attached to these pernicious illnesses remains an almost daily experience.

A case in point, was me commenting last week that I wasn't feeling great (due to the illnesses mentioned), only to be met with the following comment from a family member: "So how did you manage to go to the game on Wednesday then?"

It may seem a harmless comment to many, but it's really had a profound effect upon me, and left me feeling even more depressed and vulnerable than I already was.

I just don't know where to go from here in terms of help or recovery.

3 years ago I started suffering from health anxiety,it all started after having a sickness bug for a few days and didn’t seems to sort itself out properly in a few weeks which got my mind into a bit of a panic it was something more serious.

I had many tests including CT scans which came back clear but nothing make the anxiety disappear I just didn’t feel right. The doctors decided that since they couldn’t find anything it was all in my head so stress and anxiety were the problems so I was put on various meds which didn’t help and I could deal with the side effects so I always came off them.

I’ve gone the last 3 years feeling crap constantly with various aches and pains in my upper body usually mid back neck and shoulders which I’ve struggled to deal with mentally.

So fast forward to now and I feel great physically and mentally so what’s changed....? I’ve had my gallbladder removed!

I was told during the tests that I had a gallstone but as I was not getting the general gallbladder symptoms it was dismissed as an issue. This year I started to get a little bit of pain under my right rib nothing bad but uncomfortable at times usually after eating so went back to get it checked out turns out my gallbladder had basically packed in so it had to come out.

The difference was almost instant after waking up from my op first time I stood up all the upper body pain had virtually disappeared and I’ve gone from strength to strength since turned out air was pushing into my stomach lining and liver and also interfering with nerves.

Can’t believe what a relief it is the surgeon said it can have lots of odd symptoms but usually alongside the regular ones which I didn’t have.

Good luck to everyone suffering mental health it’s certainly had a huge impact on me the past few years I guess I’m lucky mines has been an easy if a little unusual fix.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    3 years ago I started suffering from health anxiety,it all started after having a sickness bug for a few days and didn’t seems to sort itself out properly in a few weeks which got my mind into a bit of a panic it was something more serious.

I had many tests including CT scans which came back clear but nothing make the anxiety disappear I just didn’t feel right. The doctors decided that since they couldn’t find anything it was all in my head so stress and anxiety were the problems so I was put on various meds which didn’t help and I could deal with the side effects so I always came off them.

I’ve gone the last 3 years feeling crap constantly with various aches and pains in my upper body usually mid back neck and shoulders which I’ve struggled to deal with mentally.

So fast forward to now and I feel great physically and mentally so what’s changed....? I’ve had my gallbladder removed!

I was told during the tests that I had a gallstone but as I was not getting the general gallbladder symptoms it was dismissed as an issue. This year I started to get a little bit of pain under my right rib nothing bad but uncomfortable at times usually after eating so went back to get it checked out turns out my gallbladder had basically packed in so it had to come out.

The difference was almost instant after waking up from my op first time I stood up all the upper body pain had virtually disappeared and I’ve gone from strength to strength since turned out air was pushing into my stomach lining and liver and also interfering with nerves.

Can’t believe what a relief it is the surgeon said it can have lots of odd symptoms but usually alongside the regular ones which I didn’t have.

Good luck to everyone suffering mental health it’s certainly had a huge impact on me the past few years I guess I’m lucky mines has been an easy if a little unusual fix.
    Very happy for you and thanks for sharing. This may well help anyone looking in. All advice on this thread is greatly appreciated.
    I have recently come out of a very dark few months and although i am feeling ok now i know there will be tough times ahead. Hope you keep happy 👍

I suffer from ptsd depression and anxiety. so six weeks ago today my life got turned upside down and inside out. I lost my job home and family got arrested and charged due to malicious family members. Ended up in temporary homeless accommodation. Just moved into a permanent address on Tuesday. But yet because I cant live or see the two rocks in my life ( ex and daughter)' I can honestly say that this is the lowest I have been. Last thursday should and would have been my last day in this earth but for the intervention of my ex reaching out to some old army buddies. What should be a turning point and a fresh start I cry at least three times a day. Yet every day I wake up optimistic that this day will be better than yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pontius pilate View Post
    I suffer from ptsd depression and anxiety. so six weeks ago today my life got turned upside down and inside out. I lost my job home and family got arrested and charged due to malicious family members. Ended up in temporary homeless accommodation. Just moved into a permanent address on Tuesday. But yet because I cant live or see the two rocks in my life ( ex and daughter)' I can honestly say that this is the lowest I have been. Last thursday should and would have been my last day in this earth but for the intervention of my ex reaching out to some old army buddies. What should be a turning point and a fresh start I cry at least three times a day. Yet every day I wake up optimistic that this day will be better than yesterday.
    Really sorry to hear that pal. Make sure you keep in touch with your army friends as they will understand. You may have already but see a GP for further referrals. Wishing you all the best

Thank you for sharing with us here, PP, I'm so glad you felt able to. I am sure that many here, including myself, seek to help and support you through the difficult time you're having and like me, feel sad at the pain you're going through. It's been my experience that each and every person that posts on this thread cares for all here, very much including you. I do hope that you find it in yourself to keep talking to us now that have taken the step to share your feelings.

So much has happened in your life recently it seems and I'm sure you've been left reeling to say the least. It's completely understandable the way you feel. I hope that you continue to engage with your old buddies and use the support they offer their old mate. If you feel able, make sure and let them know the kind of support your need, simply time with them or whatever. That would please them I'm certain. Please don't underestimate the kind help of the Samaritans should you feel in crisis at any point. They are there to help you, me and all. Please also engage with your GP and use that support too.

Good luck and take care buddy. Keep talking to us.

Stu

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-ca...you/contact-us

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I was diagnosed with OCD aged eleven; it's something which often appears in early adolescence. I was always a sensitive kid but it developed into a morbidity of obsessive-compulsive thoughts and behaviours, along with comorbidities of social anxiety (often manifested with extreme blushing) and trichtotillomania, which is compulsive hair pulling. All are anxiety disorders.

I became fixated on narrow interests and tasks which I felt I had to complete, otherwise I feared something terrible would happen. At one stage I developed a mania for crossword puzzles, for example. I had an urge deconstruct everything I was doing in my mind and explain it in a step-by-step process. I wrote lists for everything. It quickly drives you mad.

My parents took me to the doctor then a child psychologist who diagnosed it. I considered too young for medication but had CBT therapy with the psychologist, which helped. Stressful periods tend to bring it on even now, but I can still get help if I need it, including periods of SSRI medication. I think growing into adulthood helped alleviate a lot of the symptoms naturally. Most kids go through a difficult teenage phase; a minority will develop into medical issues, and I think I was vulnerable to a more intense experience of that. It could also be partly genetic: my dad has social anxiety. Mine is much better now, as is the blushing and hair pulling.

The important thing is to seek help, no matter what age you are or what the conditions is. If something doesn't feel right, don't be embarrassed to see your doctor - that's why they are there.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

How are you doing, pal? You've been to hell and back.

I am a major devotee to Dr. Illardi's technique. He has a book called "The Depression Cure" and one of my friend also told about https://sortedforyou.com/best-recliners-for-back-pain who did research on this type of products who helped us in improving these type of health problem.

Here is a fast rundown of his six stages:

• Eating an eating routine wealthy in omega-3 unsaturated fats, which are basic building hinders for cerebrum structure and capacity.

• Engaging in charming exercises that shield us from harping on negative considerations.

• Participating in exercise that invigorates essential cerebrum synthetic substances, for example, serotonin and use recliner for improvement.

• Getting adequate daylight presentation to keep the body's check in a state of harmony.

• Getting social help to ensure against the harming impacts of segregation.

• Getting enough rest to enable the cerebrum and body to recoup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    How are you doing, pal? You've been to hell and back.
    Surviving bud cheers. Just got some news tonight that has set me back. Ive spoken to the person and been asked to.trust them to make the correct decision which im sure they will. Thanks for asking pal

Surviving bud cheers. Just got some news tonight that has set me back. Ive spoken to the person and been asked to.trust them to make the correct decision which im sure they will. Thanks for asking pal
    I really hope all it works out for you. We don't appreciate how difficult life is for a lot of people, until we too find ourselves in a crisis. I hope you have support around you; it's vital to have that. It's especially important to have people around you at this time of year.

You sound like a very brave man. To live through what you have and be here to share your experiences with us is a teatament to that. Forgive my lack of understanding of your individual situation. Perhaps you have already tried contacting them, but if not it may be worth a go.
    https://www.thevetsproject.com

I have heard very positive things about them and how they can support ex service personel, often by linking them in with other people who can understand some of what you may have been through.

You don't know me, I don't know you, but if you ever need someone to chat to please drop me a line. A problem shared is a problem halved, or so they say.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    You sound like a very brave man. To live through what you have and be here to share your experiences with us is a teatament to that. Forgive my lack of understanding of your individual situation. Perhaps you have already tried contacting them, but if not it may be worth a go.
    https://www.thevetsproject.com

I have heard very positive things about them and how they can support ex service personel, often by linking them in with other people who can understand some of what you may have been through.

You don't know me, I don't know you, but if you ever need someone to chat to please drop me a line. A problem shared is a problem halved, or so they say.

Folks thank you all its very humbling to know there is strangers out there who care. Quick update my ex and daughter are back in my life although cautious at least I will see them both on xmas day for a.bit. I have a xmas lunch with other veterans today. It also looks like the trust paid off and the correct decision was made. I do have an esa assessment today at 9 but what will be will be. A good day and like a I said every day I start with an optimistic view of the world.

GGTTH

Folks thank you all its very humbling to know there is strangers out there who care. Quick update my ex and daughter are back in my life although cautious at least I will see them both on xmas day for a.bit. I have a xmas lunch with other veterans today. It also looks like the trust paid off and the correct decision was made. I do have an esa assessment today at 9 but what will be will be. A good day and like a I said every day I start with an optimistic view of the world.

GGTTH
    It's great to hear you have some good news. Where there's life there's hope. Those small steps add up

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I work as a coach/teacher/speaker helping folk have a better relationship with thoughts and emotions. I’m not really teaching again till the end of the month & would like to help anyone that would like a bit of support. So if you want a chat with no cost,just get in touch on my facebook john g coaching page ........As i say, not looking for business just offering an ear if you want it

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    It's great to hear you have some good news. Where there's life there's hope. Those small steps add up

You're a good un mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I work as a coach/teacher/speaker helping folk have a better relationship with thoughts and emotions. I’m not really teaching again till the end of the month & would like to help anyone that would like a bit of support. So if you want a chat with no cost,just get in touch on my facebook john g coaching page ........As i say, not looking for business just offering an ear if you want it
    What a nice offer. 👍🏼

There’s always something that restores your faith in human nature.

GGTTH
    How’s things been since then mate? Hope things are going as well as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    Lovely touch, mate