http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43143889

Hibs.net survey?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So the drugs do work, apparently.

Hibs.net survey?
    I’ve just gone back on amitriptyline. Even though I don’t feel particularly stressed or anxious I can’t seem to disengage my brain if anything I’m anxious about being anxious.

I’ve used it before with no major issues in a low dose hoping it will help me relax a bit as my muscles are aching and I’ve been waking up at times with clenched fists even my tongue feels tense!

Good I see it supposed to be one of the better ones!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    My particular grouch with this survey is that there is a very narrow question being set, ie "do they ease depression?".

Other questions which need to be addressed are:-

To what extent do the side-effects affect one's life? (in my case, increased cholesterol made it a risk not worth taking)

To what extent are other, non-pharmacological, treatments more or less successful?

That said, the fact that the media has been full of this survey this morning is very welcome. People feeling comfortable enough (as on here) to tell their stories can only be a good thing. Moan the nutters....

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I was quite surprised to hear a Professor on the radio this morning say something like, 'that's it, we can now close the book on whether anti-depressant medication is effective'.

Defer to this gent's knowledge but for me that is not how science and research works. It's only a part of the body of knowledge on the subject and not definitive forever and ever. Knowledge becomes challenged, and discredited all the time.

My initial thoughts are that I'm a bit concerned that people will buy into what, in fairness on the exterior, looks like a convincing piece of research and see that as the easy answer. It is never as simple as that, much though we would like it to be.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    I was quite surprised to hear a Professor on the radio this morning say something like, 'that's it, we can now close the book on whether anti-depressant medication is effective'.

Defer to this gent's knowledge but for me that is not how science and research works. It's only a part of the body of knowledge on the subject and not definitive forever and ever. Knowledge becomes challenged, and discredited all the time.

My initial thoughts are that I'm a bit concerned that people will buy into what, in fairness on the exterior, looks like a convincing piece of research and see that as the easy answer. It is never as simple as that, much though we would like it to be.
    There's the odd publication out there that "debunks" climate change. Point being, big declarations and standpoints require on pretty much universal consensus, and one piece of research merely contributes to part of a wider chain of evidence, oftentimes being proven to be nonsense, or hugely flawed.

If he's genuinely suggesting one test closes the book on a debate, he should be stripped of his professorship and seriously challenged by his peers, and employers.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    There's the odd publication out there that "debunks" climate change. Point being, big declarations and standpoints require on pretty much universal consensus, and one piece of research merely contributes to part of a wider chain of evidence, oftentimes being proven to be nonsense, or hugely flawed.
    Yes indeed - exactly my point. That was why I was slightly taken back at his words.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hibs.net survey?
    It’s a joke!? Yes the can ease the emotion & numb thinking but they do nothing to change the persons relationship with thought and emotion which creates depressive thinking patterns. Depression/anxiety can only be overcome by a change of thought, nothing more nothing less. I wonder who sponsored the research?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    It’s a joke!? Yes the can ease the emotion & numb thinking but they do nothing to change the persons relationship with thought and emotion which creates depressive thinking patterns. Depression/anxiety can only be overcome by a change of thought, nothing more nothing less. I wonder who sponsored the research?
    To be fair to the author of the study, he did say this, although you have to search for it:-

"Medication should always be considered alongside other options, such as psychological therapies, where these are available,"

On the "sponsorship" question, he also said this:-

"Importantly, the paper analyses unpublished data held by pharmaceutical companies, and shows that the funding of studies by these companies does not influence the result, thus confirming that the clinical usefulness of these drugs is not affected by pharma-sponsored spin."

Blog Entries
    To be fair to the author of the study, he did say this, although you have to search for it:-

"Medication should always be considered alongside other options, such as psychological therapies, where these are available,"

On the "sponsorship" question, he also said this:-

"Importantly, the paper analyses unpublished data held by pharmaceutical companies, and shows that the funding of studies by these companies does not influence the result, thus confirming that the clinical usefulness of these drugs is not affected by pharma-sponsored spin."
    With any of my clients I would never discourage the use of them, if thats whats prescribed go with them.

Its when they talk about reducing the symptoms it really annoys me. Its not the symptoms they should be working on (Im sure you know all this). Its like scooping the froth off a boiling pan. You keep scooping but if the pans still on the heat its gonna keep boiling.

(as I type this I feel a bit of a hypocrite as Im sometimes sponsored by a pharma company to go out and speak to GPs/Drs/anaesthetist ect about the relationship we have with our thoughts & how it can help patient recovery)
    Last edited by Dalianwanda; 23-02-2018 at 10:51 AM.

With any of my clients I would never discourage the use of them, if thats whats prescribed go with them.

Its when they talk about reducing the symptoms it really annoys me. Its not the symptoms they should be analysing (Im sure you know all this). Its like scooping the froth off a boiling pan. You keep scooping but if the pans still on the heat its gonna keep boiling.

(as I type this I feel a bit of a hypocrite as Im sometimes sponsored by a pharma company to go out and speak to GPs/Drs/anaesthetist ect about the relationship we have with our thoughts & how it can help patient recovery)
    Totally agree with you, of course... but, probably like you, it's the "headline culture" that annoys me here. "The drugs work", so let's not bother with any expensive quackery.

Blog Entries
    Totally agree with you, of course... but, probably like you, it's the "headline culture" that annoys me here. "The drugs work", so let's not bother with any expensive quackery.
    On a positive, for some people the headline might act as a placebo effect. Believing they will work could have a positive effect. It still keeps them looking externally for solutions though.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    I have tried various councilling methods over the years which have been very good but only lasted maybe a year before I relapsed.
    Drastic action from me was leaving the work place ..removing myself from large groups and generally deciding that whatever triggered my anxiety I was not going to do again.
    Now that's all good but not really practical so I started taking citalopram . Now for me this was a marked change in my life I felt in control and could finally move start work and be confident.
    I was wrong ..
    they did help a lot but I still needed to address and cut out the triggers along with the drugs life is good but not everyone can do what I did it's Drastic but I'm here and enjoying life

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Been an awful couple of months with illness, bereavement and divorce, don't just rain eh! Still doing what I can to keep the head above water

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Been an awful couple of months with illness, bereavement and divorce, don't just rain eh! Still doing what I can to keep the head above water
    Hopefully things get better.

Trying to keep my anxiety under control we had an attempted break in last week while we slept so constantly on edge.

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar

Hibs.net survey?
    As usual with media stories on anti depressants i don't think it's as simple as they've made it out. I do an ocassional mental health blog and touched on this - along with the Compassionate Frome Project

https://cumbernauldlivinglandscape.o...sion-lots-tea/
    Last edited by barcahibs; 07-03-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Anybody tried Magnesium to lift their mood ? I've been taking it for a few months now,and and feel a lot better,

Hibs.net survey?
    Im flabbergasted by that report. The message the BBC are giving is so simplified as to be dangerous to public health.

In the 'drugs that are most effective' column they have included paroxetine ie-paxil, or seroxat. I was put on seroxat a number of years ago and i had a serious reaction to it, it was far worse than the depression i was given it for. Ive spoken to health professionals and read journals and its not well thought of in general, hence the fact they dont prescribe it for adolescents anymore. IIRC someone else on here also went through hell with it. GSK allegedly knew about the issues and covered them up. But i know it HAS worked for some people. The drug that eventually did sort me out IS also on the 'effective list', its still quite rarely prescribed because its expensive. But i wouldnt consider 'recommending' it to anyone, just because I know from experience that drug A can be a disaster for one person and a godsend for another. Its just stupid to try to make a 'league table' of good uns and bad uns.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Anybody tried Magnesium to lift their mood ? I've been taking it for a few months now,and and feel a lot better,
    I take it along with St Johns wort not sure it helps my mood but I certainly sleep better.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    I have, in two week bursts every so often. Certainly felt less tired, more energetic, which in itself probably helped to lift mood. I now take Vitamin D supplements all year round. There's no question in my mind that if I slip at all on the big three of sleep, regular eating and regular exercise i'm asking for trouble.

Left by mutual consent!
    I have depression and take Citalopram, mine is more over analysing things and deciding on the worst outcome.

Often we are all wrong when we worried about something but it's that one time you were right that justifies it all. I have to say my confidence boosted and I do feel better.

'S' Form

Its when they talk about reducing the symptoms it really annoys me. Its not the symptoms they should be working on (Im sure you know all this). Its like scooping the froth off a boiling pan. You keep scooping but if the pans still on the heat its gonna keep boiling.

Medications only deal with the symptoms - finding the cause, which for me, was found going right back to my early childhood (the fear of being abandoned and rejected by my mother). Through Cognitive Analytical Therapy [CAT] and weekly attendance of Al-anon meetings have guided me into making crucial life changes to recover.

Today, I still have moments when I feel anxious - usually at a time when I worry about how someone is going to feel about what I am going to change about myself - then I say to myself that I need to do whats best for me. The anxiety goes and my mind is clear.

Meditation is great too for me. I got a copy of a book by Louise Hay called "You Can Heal Your Life". The exercises and meditations she has in that book have given me the freedom to be true to myself which has took the depression away.

Great thread and thanks to eveyone who has posted for their honesty and strength. The truth sets us free!

Bumping this thread after reading the Keatings thread on the MB. Been a real help for me and others

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Just a thought, but might it be worth adding OCD into the title? It's a very misunderstood condition, and very under-diagnosed as a result. It is also absolutely brutal, particularly the intrusive thoughts. I was completely floored by it 3 years ago, but am pretty much recovered after going tbrough psychiatry, psychology and ocupational health.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primarily_obsessional_obsessive_compulsive_disorde r

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Bumping this thread after reading the Keatings thread on the MB. Been a real help for me and others
    Just read the article about Keatings in today’s Sunday Mail. My heart genuinely goes out to him.
    He’s been in such a bad place mentally in the last 12-15 months by the sound of it. It’s so difficult to come to terms with. Being unable to open up and speak to a wider circle of family/friends does regrettably make the situation worse although you just don’t realise that at the time.

It was refreshing to read that he was able to confide in Jason Cummings about how he was feeling. Given Jason’s demeanour, he’s probably not the first person you’d think about to open up to. Good on you Jason!!

What isn’t so clear from the article is whether or not he said anything during his time with us. Although Neil is mentioned as having gone through similar, it doesn’t say if Neil or the club were aware or helped James in any way. I’d like to think they would have but as I said earlier, speaking up about it “in the workplace” can be seen by the individual affected as a sign of weakness and possible thoughts that his career could be affected.

So glad he has now opened up. It’s the first step to recovery and very reassuring that United are fully behind him.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Medications are a bit rubbish TBH. I’ve become so reliant on them which is sad because they tend to dilute every emotion you feel. I’ll never feel like crying on them, conversely I’ll never have a really great laugh at something. I will find things funny but any reaction almost feels like it has to be forced.

I did try coming off of them (albeit a bit too hastily) and after the initial 2 days of feeling positive, I started to feel my old demons coming back. Have started a slow taper in another attempt to get clean.

For anyone considering medication, they definitely can be helpful, however depending on the severity of your illness I’d look to exhaust other options first.

Has anyone gone through this..?

I did my best to battle depression with the aid of medication and support groups.

Now I feel fine, like almost back to normal.

But before where I really didn’t care what happened now it’s a complete turnaround and I’m in such a good mood I’m worried about what will happen to me and/or love ones?

It’s like I’ve gone from one end to the other!

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post

I did my best to battle depression with the aid of medication and support groups.

But before where I really didn’t care what happened now it’s a complete turnaround and I’m in such a good mood I’m worried about what will happen to me and/or love ones?

I'd celebrate the fact that you can now feel for others, rather than being stuck in that rut of battling your own issues. That's a big step forward IMO.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post

Yeah, I was worried I was bipolar a few months ago; was in such a good mood for weeks that I was at the point of self-diagnosing a manic episode. Turns out that’s just what it feels like to be in a good mood!

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Yeah, I was worried I was bipolar a few months ago; was in such a good mood for weeks that I was at the point of self-diagnosing a manic episode. Turns out that’s just what it feels like to be in a good mood!
    Ha!

It’s just weird that it’s gone from one extreme to the next. The other extreme being for instant getting emotional when I left an empty house after rlbeingbiff with the kids at Easter. Which is weird. So know I know I’m in a better place I’m worried about things happening before they happen. Which was what it was like before.

But now I’m in a good mood it’s still being pessimistic but more so that I know the value of loved ones and even myself to others that I’m worried about that.

This makes a lot more sense in my head! Honest!

I'd celebrate the fact that you can now feel for others, rather than being stuck in that rut of battling your own issues. That's a big step forward IMO.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Definitely.

Before I didn’t care about others. Now I think Incaretoo much.

How to I change my user name to Goldielocks?!