hibs.net Messageboard

Page 25 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The weathers against us here for the vast majority of folk to maintain optimum levels of D3 Vit D and the medical research is there to advise us Scots and residents of other similar countries of non regular bright sunshine to have their Vit D levels checked and take supplements if required.

I was checked out a number of years ago by my then GP who is was a bit of an expert on Vit D deficiency and I was found to have a considerable deficiency according to the predicted normal levels which is why I take daily D3 Vit D supplements.

Serious D3 Vit D deficiency can lead to skin conditions and the more serious Osteoporosis among other effects. Its well worth being checked out for Vit D levels when one can.
    That’s crazy. I just ordered these last night. Been struggling with my skin big time this winter after a year working nightshift. It was this, coupled with increased anxiety and radge insomnia that led me to research CBD, Vitamin D & 5-HTP.

Do you think this dose (3000IU) is ok for daily use or am I best doing alternate days?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I use a lamp, which sits beside my desk throughout the day. Can't think what I'd be like without it.
    Do you have a link fella? Been looking into this also...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    That’s crazy. I just ordered these last night. Been struggling with my skin big time this winter after a year working nightshift. It was this, coupled with increased anxiety and radge insomnia that led me to research CBD, Vitamin D & 5-HTP.

Do you think this dose (3000IU) is ok for daily use or am I best doing alternate days?

That's far too much to begin with for someone who's not been checked out by the GP.

If you're concerned about your Vit D levels go to the GP who can run simple checks and who will recommend the top up amount required if required at all.

Vit D has great benefits but too much Vit D can have adverse effects.

Go to the GP who will advise you, seriously mate.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think CWG is referring to the Sunray UV lamps that are used in hospitals for folk with conditions such as eczema etc. Some folk can be rushed to hospital with acute skin conditions and are treated with stand up UV ray machines with less serious conditions treated with smaller lamps. A few minutes a week may be suitable for you in a stand up tanning clinic.

However it would be far better for you if you attended your GP to discuss it and run simple tests with her advising you.

Nice one mate, cheers for the advice.

I’ve been back & forward since September, been referred to the Dept for Sleep Medicine & Dermatology. Taking forever though.

Will hold off on the Vitamin D3 in the meantime, or perhaps pick up some lighter ones.

Appreciated 👍🏻

Left by mutual consent!
    Nice one mate, cheers for the advice.

I’ve been back & forward since September, been referred to the Dept for Sleep Medicine & Dermatology. Taking forever though.

Will hold off on the Vitamin D3 in the meantime, or perhaps pick up some lighter ones.

Appreciated ����
    No probs mate.

Hope you get your appointment soon and they should advise you on the limits of what you can do for yourself alongside their provided treatment and care.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    I think CWG is referring to the Sunray UV lamps that are used in hospitals for folk with conditions such as eczema etc. Some folk can be rushed to hospital with acute skin conditions and are treated with stand up UV ray machines with less serious conditions treated with smaller lamps. A few minutes a week may be suitable for you in a stand up tanning clinic.

However it would be far better for you if you attended your GP to discuss it and run simple tests with her advising you.

I'm not.

I'm referring to the lamps that are commercially available to anyone who has issues with Seasonal Affective Disorder. Mine is on 6 hours a day at this time of the year.

I'll post the link for mine tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm not.

I'm referring to the lamps that are commercially available to anyone who has issues with Seasonal Affective Disorder. Mine is on 6 hours a day at this time of the year.

I'll post the link for mine tomorrow.

Apologies mate. I thought the lamps you were referring to were the Ultraviolet lamps hospitals use for treating skin conditions like eczema.

Hope the Seasonal Affective Disorder lamps help with the condition.

This is the one I've had for years.

https://www.bodykind.com/product/203...light-box.aspx

This is the one I've had for years.

https://www.bodykind.com/product/203...light-box.aspx
    I think I'm going to have to look into the treatments in more detail. I have a great reading lamp with dozens of settings but I doubt it's really a "light box" I do like it though 😎
    Back off work this week and struggling.

has been creeping up for a wee while but back on tablets and struggling
    A really good thread that lets you know your not alone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42901550

This article caught my eye on the BBC this morning. It's very sad some people still think it's acceptable to act in such a way. On the flip side it's currently the most read story on the BBC site and I'd hope the majority of people are clicking on it because they are appalled by the headline.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

This article caught my eye on the BBC this morning. It's very sad some people still think it's acceptable to act in such a way. On the flip side it's currently the most read story on the BBC site and I'd hope the majority of people are clicking on it because they are appalled by the headline.
    Football is, as we all know, someting that lives in a bubble. Football fans (and players) will find a way to abuse the other team's players, in the belief that that player will be intimidated and play less well. That's a sad fact of life, no matter how abhorrent (most) people find it.

This guy's case will do nothing other than intimidate others from putting their head above the parapet. It's in the same bag as gay players. "This is what you're gonna get, so just stay in the closet..."

Conversely, I am amazed that NL hasn't (to my knowledge) received much abuse about his own issues. I would have thought he was an easy target in that respect. Or maybe being a Fenian ******* is worse than being a mentalist?
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 02-02-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Football is, as we all know, someting that lives in a bubble. Football fans (and players) will find a way to abuse the other team's players, in the belief that that player will be intimidated and play less well. That's a sad fact of life, no matter how abhorrent (most) people find it.

This guy's case will do nothing other than intimidate others from putting their head above the parapet. It's in the same bag as gay players. "This is what you're gonna get, so just stay in the closet..."

Conversely, I am amazed that NL hasn't (to my knowledge) received much abuse about his own issues. I would have thought he was an easy target in that respect. Or maybe being a Fenian ******* is worse than being a mentalist?
    Football fans (including our own) will hurl all sorts of abuse at players and then become hyper-sensitive and shocked if a player makes a daft gesture in return.

5Some) People tend to leave reality and humanity at the turnstiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I knew what that article was before even clicking on your link.

It's absolutely despicable that people would say such things to another human being. All I will say is that they don't know what's in store for them later in life. Mental illness can hit anyone at any time.

The guy's extremely brave for being able to speak up about his issues and I have nothing but respect for him. I hope those who have chosen to mock him are named and shamed and are dealt with appropriately.

Absolute $cum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I knew what that article was before even clicking on your link.

It's absolutely despicable that people would say such things to another human being. All I will say is that they don't know what's in store for them later in life. Mental illness can hit anyone at any time.

The guy's extremely brave for being able to speak up about his issues and I have nothing but respect for him. I hope those who have chosen to mock him are named and shamed and are dealt with appropriately.

Absolute $cum.
    The problem is.... how can they be "dealt with appropriately"?

There's little in place to sanction those who abuse people on the basis of their mental health. As you know, of course, abuse and discrimination towards people with physical issues is (slowly) being dealt with, socially and legally. The mental health equivalent is a long way off.

Part of that stems from the lack of visibility of mental illness, of course, but where it becomes an obvious issue ( as in this guy's case), there is cause for including something appropriate in that warning that is read out before each game.... the one about challenging or abusing people on the basis of their race, sexual orientation etc.?

The problem is.... how can they be "dealt with appropriately"?

There's little in place to sanction those who abuse people on the basis of their mental health. As you know, of course, abuse and discrimination towards people with physical issues is (slowly) being dealt with, socially and legally. The mental health equivalent is a long way off.

Part of that stems from the lack of visibility of mental illness, of course, but where it becomes an obvious issue ( as in this guy's case), there is cause for including something appropriate in that warning that is read out before each game.... the one about challenging or abusing people on the basis of their race, sexual orientation etc.?

In cases like this, it really should be cut and dried. He has been open about his depression, suicide attempts and his mental health in general for quite a few years now so people will be aware of his circumstances. So any comments like "go and hang yourself properly this time" and "watch your wrists wee man, oh better not wind you up since you're a psycho" really should be dealt with in the same way that abusive comments on the grounds of race or sexuality would be dealt with at the moment.

It is absolutely unacceptable to say something like that to someone and I honestly cannot understand what would make anyone want to say that to another person. The penalties should be severe for this type of thing.

In cases like this, it really should be cut and dried. He has been open about his depression, suicide attempts and his mental health in general for quite a few years now so people will be aware of his circumstances. So any comments like "go and hang yourself properly this time" and "watch your wrists wee man, oh better not wind you up since you're a psycho" really should be dealt with in the same way that abusive comments on the grounds of race or sexuality would be dealt with at the moment.

It is absolutely unacceptable to say something like that to someone and I honestly cannot understand what would make anyone want to say that to another person. The penalties should be severe for this type of thing.
    It could be argued that we already have appropriate laws in place.

Lawyers on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the test for breach of the peace is whether it puts someone in a state of fear or alarm. It's a stretch, but abusing someone on the basis of their mental health might fall under that.

I'm lucky that I'm strong enough now after 20 odd years to deal with crap like that, but not everyone is. It is the kind of thing that could push a person over the edge.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Sure you can. To gain a competitive advantage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNkkdfNwEg

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Your last paragraph worries me a bit... My daughter left school and has gone to college, she's having some difficulties and her "friends" still at school are really sticking the knife in on Facebook, twitter Snapchat etc it's like they want to make the point she's made the wrong decision while they've made the right one ... If it wasn't for her college pals who range in age from 16 to late 20's that are being really supportive I worry where it would all end.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Your last paragraph worries me a bit... My daughter left school and has gone to college, she's having some difficulties and her "friends" still at school are really sticking the knife in on Facebook, twitter Snapchat etc it's like they want to make the point she's made the wrong decision while they've made the right one ... If it wasn't for her college pals who range in age from 16 to late 20's that are being really supportive I worry where it would all end.

My last paragraph? Not sure if you meant to quote me.

Colleges these days have (relative to our day) much better support services. You might want to ease her their way.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Sure you can. To gain a competitive advantage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNkkdfNwEg
    That's a lot more than simply trying to gain a competitive advantage.

That is extremely nasty, bullying behaviour that could lead to devastating consequences depending on the person's state of mind at the time.

There's countlesss other ways that someone can try to gain a competitive advantage over a rival without resorting to things like this.

My last paragraph? Not sure if you meant to quote me.

Colleges these days have (relative to our day) much better support services. You might want to ease her their way.
    Hi CWG... I did mean yer last paragraph :-)

And to quote you :-)

Totally agree, re the college, they're being very supportive.... One thing that's really become obvious is the difference in behaviour between those kids at school and those at college OF THE SAME AGE, it does seem that a lot of how people behave is driven by those around them.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Hi CWG... I did mean yer last paragraph :-)

And to quote you :-)

Totally agree, re the college, they're being very supportive.... One thing that's really become obvious is the difference in behaviour between those kids at school and those at college OF THE SAME AGE, it does seem that a lot of how people behave is driven by those around them.

Hope that makes sense.

To be clear, I'm meaning my daughter moving from one situation (school) to another (college) and the grief she's getting from her old "friends" still at school who're trying to tell her she's made a mistake in moving on before them.

That's a lot more than simply trying to gain a competitive advantage.

That is extremely nasty, bullying behaviour that could lead to devastating consequences depending on the person's state of mind at the time.

There's countlesss other ways that someone can try to gain a competitive advantage over a rival without resorting to things like this.
    Yeah, does seem to go beyond mere sledging. I do wonder if at its heart it's about putting the target off his game, though. "The former Forfar Athletic striker said that on the pitch, opponents had used his depression to undermine his efforts during games." Wasn't it Lenny who used to constantly taunt opponents about how little they earned compared to him? Always thought even that was a bit off, and there's no comparison there with what's being described in David Cox's case.

Interesting and encouraging to see a post on the main board re depression and anxiety. I'm off work at the moment and while it is most likely the above I have been signed off with cardiology issues which is also true, feels a bit of a cop out to prefer this reason to mental health reasons but one does involve the other just one seems more acceptable (even though I work in health). I feel I am letting fellow sufferes down

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Yeah, does seem to go beyond mere sledging. I do wonder if at its heart it's about putting the target off his game, though. "The former Forfar Athletic striker said that on the pitch, opponents had used his depression to undermine his efforts during games." Wasn't it Lenny who used to constantly taunt opponents about how little they earned compared to him? Always thought even that was a bit off, and there's no comparison there with what's being described in David Cox's case.
    Was it not Craig Bellamy when at Celtic, can remember when they lost to Clyde in the cup and comments to a Clyde player about cutting his grass. Of course Lennon might have dome similar.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was it not Craig Bellamy when at Celtic, can remember when they lost to Clyde in the cup and comments to a Clyde player about cutting his grass. Of course Lennon might have dome similar.
    Ah yes, you're right, Bellamy. Got mixed up between the two unlikeable Celtc players.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Hibs are hosting an event next Tuesday that is open to anyone between 30-65. Apparently mental health is involved in the event. I’ve not heard that officially from hibs, but others have mentioned it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Hibs are hosting an event next Tuesday that is open to anyone between 30-65. Apparently mental health is involved in the event. I’ve not heard that officially from hibs, but others have mentioned it.
    Can't make it due to location but the idea of meeting up for a game with other posters on this thread still appeals. Was discussed a while back.