hibs.net Messageboard

Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think CWG is spot on in his assessment. And unfortunately, if it wasn't for the stigma which undoubtedly still exists then access would be an even bigger problem.
    Ignorance is the foundation of the stigma.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Ignorance is the foundation of the stigma.
    Can't disagree with that. Ignorance is at the root of all stigma.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Speaking from a personal point of view I certainly still sense a stigma. This thread has been great as it affords a relative anonymity (despite the fact I've met numerous people on it in the last 2 or 3 years). It's still a subject I'm wary of mentioning in company (in person) and I'll never speak up if someone makes a joke about mental illness for fear of being 'mocked'.

Tbh I'm having a bit of a wobble at the moment. I'm going to be a Dad for the 1st time in August. Whilst I'm absolutely delighted and it's hugely exciting it has been stressful and I'm feeling it. We have just moved house and I've loved where we have been for the best part of the last 5 years. It's coincided with the best state I've been in mentally in a decade or more and I quite literally burst into tears when I handed the keys over. I know the improvement in my mind goes a lot deeper than a house but all the same.... Unfortunately when I have a bad time it tends to manifest itself in me being increasingly argumentative which means I withdraw so as not to piss people off and it turns into a bit of a circle. Got a few days on my own as my girlfriend is away on holiday so trying to settle in to the new house slowly and planning to enjoy Saturday. On the plus side such a downturn would have turned into a total meltdown 7 or 8 years ago whereas now it's manageable if annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Speaking from a personal point of view I certainly still sense a stigma. This thread has been great as it affords a relative anonymity (despite the fact I've met numerous people on it in the last 2 or 3 years). It's still a subject I'm wary of mentioning in company (in person) and I'll never speak up if someone makes a joke about mental illness for fear of being 'mocked'.

Tbh I'm having a bit of a wobble at the moment. I'm going to be a Dad for the 1st time in August. Whilst I'm absolutely delighted and it's hugely exciting it has been stressful and I'm feeling it. We have just moved house and I've loved where we have been for the best part of the last 5 years. It's coincided with the best state I've been in mentally in a decade or more and I quite literally burst into tears when I handed the keys over. I know the improvement in my mind goes a lot deeper than a house but all the same.... Unfortunately when I have a bad time it tends to manifest itself in me being increasingly argumentative which means I withdraw so as not to piss people off and it turns into a bit of a circle. Got a few days on my own as my girlfriend is away on holiday so trying to settle in to the new house slowly and planning to enjoy Saturday. On the plus side such a downturn would have turned into a total meltdown 7 or 8 years ago whereas now it's manageable if annoying.
    Stick in there lad. Life is never easy and it sounds as if you've a lot to keep strong for. At least you've taken steps to recognise the triggers and try to avoid folk seeing the manifestations of when you're feeling it the most. Keep up the good work.

glory glory

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    To say there's no stigma attached to mental health is ridiculous. There's no doubt things are better than they were, but there's no way I'd casually mention my depression in general conversation.
    In my line of work in the taxi I get loads of people telling me about physical conditions they have or have had, but I can't recall anyone ever talking about their mental health.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    To say there's no stigma attached to mental health is ridiculous. There's no doubt things are better than they were, but there's no way I'd casually mention my depression in general conversation.
    In my line of work in the taxi I get loads of people telling me about physical conditions they have or have had, but I can't recall anyone ever talking about their mental health.
    I do, I am comfortable speaking to people about my depression, obviously if the subject is broached. I totally understand why people dont want to discuss it but I feel in a way its a release, not only for me but for others to hear about my experience, my confidence & willingness to be open & honest about the subject.

My friends & family saw the before, during & now the after, of my depression, they saw me at my lowest ebb and they see me now, they ask so many questions of which Im only too happy to answer. I see it as raising awareness, promoting confidence & self esteem. I dont feel ashamed or embarrassed, sometimes on reflection I think about some of my behaviours or actions & have a laugh about them, ironically, people laughing with me as opposed to laughing at me was medicine in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    I do, I am comfortable speaking to people about my depression, obviously if the subject is broached. I totally understand why people dont want to discuss it but I feel in a way its a release, not only for me but for others to hear about my experience, my confidence & willingness to be open & honest about the subject.

My friends & family saw the before, during & now the after, of my depression, they saw me at my lowest ebb and they see me now, they ask so many questions of which Im only too happy to answer. I see it as raising awareness, promoting confidence & self esteem. I dont feel ashamed or embarrassed, sometimes on reflection I think about some of my behaviours or actions & have a laugh about them, ironically, people laughing with me as opposed to laughing at me was medicine in its own right.
    The point I was making is that people with physical conditions are far more likely to volunteer info about their conditions than people with mental health problems. I get people giving me their life history at times, but no one ever mentions mental health issues.

United we stand here....

The point I was making is that people with physical conditions are far more likely to volunteer info about their conditions than people with mental health problems. I get people giving me their life history at times, but no one ever mentions mental health issues.
    I know mate, apologies, went off on a tangent spraffing about how I found things.

Hope all is well 👍

Currently I am victim of (lack of) access to services having waited since my latest referral last August, not blaming the NHS as I am more than aware of the resources available. Last year a period of absence from work I felt my management were largely unsympathetic although to be fair there was some sympathy from a couple and more from colleagues, disappointing as I work in the health “industry” and we often have mental health awareness events.
    I feel the high profile from the royals while not a fan or a hater has been really refreshing, I would really like it to be put into manifestos for the upcoming election. We have heard from successive governments the need to improve mental health provision but in reality there has been cuts.
    The London Marathon is championing mental health tomorrow which is great but it needs more than banners at an event to improve both stigma and access.
    I have to agree this thread has helped me immensely and although one or two posters do know me it has been mostly anonymous. I have revealed more about my mental health over the last 2-3 years than I ever had before which has helped me and hopefully others.

PB, I'm a new dad 20 months now at the age of 51, new job, new house and it has been really difficult given my mental health but!!! my wee girl has made me so happy, yes I still have issues but the time I spend with her is an absolute joy, I have even (whisper it) missed Hibs games on the telly (don’t live in Scotland) when looking after her. It’s a huge change but rewarding. This from a confirmed “I’ll never be a dad” person. Enjoy

I wouldn't casually discuss my mental health issues either, however I would be more than willing to discuss it if it was the topic of conversation. I respect we are all different however. What do you personally feel has to happen for the stigma to be eradicated?

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    I wouldn't casually discuss my mental health issues either, however I would be more than willing to discuss it if it was the topic of conversation. I respect we are all different however. What do you personally feel has to happen for the stigma to be eradicated?
    It will happen eventually. We already have enough awareness projects going on, but it's just taking time for everyone to get on board. It's like everything that was once considered a bit of a taboo subject that is now completely accepted in everyday life. In time mental health will be seen as the same as physical conditions and treated the same.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    PB, I'm a new dad 20 months now at the age of 51, new job, new house and it has been really difficult given my mental health but!!! my wee girl has made me so happy, yes I still have issues but the time I spend with her is an absolute joy, I have even (whisper it) missed Hibs games on the telly (don’t live in Scotland) when looking after her. It’s a huge change but rewarding. This from a confirmed “I’ll never be a dad” person. Enjoy
    Thanks.

I'm very excited about being a Dad and whilst it was a surprise it's a welcome and pleasant one.

I just don't deal particularly well with change at times and leaving somewhere I have been largely stable and happy for 5 years is difficult for me. I'll be fine in a few weeks once my ****ed up brain processes the fact that everything isn't going to fall apart because I've moved 3 miles.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Has anyone used Hypnotherapy?

The reason i ask is that I have just qualified as a Hypnotherapist. The results I've had with my case-study clients with depression and anxiety have been very encouraging.

(Note for admins. This is not an advert )
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 21-04-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks.

I'm very excited about being a Dad and whilst it was a surprise it's a welcome and pleasant one.

I just don't deal particularly well with change at times and leaving somewhere I have been largely stable and happy for 5 years is difficult for me. I'll be fine in a few weeks once my ****ed up brain processes the fact that everything isn't going to fall apart because I've moved 3 miles.
    Keep going to the places you enjoyed previously, pub, shops etc. Will give you some continuity

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Has anyone used Hypnotherapy?

The reason i ask is that I have just qualified as a Hypnotherapist. The results I've had with my case-study clients with depression and anxiety have been very encouraging.

(Note for admins. This is not an advert )
    I know it can help, although I think solely using it points people in the wrong direction (In my opinion). I used to use hypnosis with clients, I would also have used NLP which can be effective but I've moved away from using these approaches soley especially when dealing with anxiety (I work one to one as well as speaking a on the subject for the HSE in Ireland & at festivals etc).

You can't control the thoughts that pop into your head, it's impossible. Same going with the emotions we have. You can educate people to have a better relationship with the thoughts and emotions so they are no longer the problem they were. Thats the move I have made with my clients, helping them see that they don't need 'fixed' as theres nothing really broken. As soon as my clients start to see the inside out way of experience a lot of mind made problems melt away for them rather than them having to do something. A lot of people, understandibly, are looking for a quick fix. If thats their approach then theres always going to be fixes required.

So yes hypnosis can make changes very quickly & easily but I think it needs to be done in conjunction with some education on the nature of thought. Helping clients have more present moment awareness can help them see where there experience is coming from. Giving them choice on what thoughts to go with and what to allow to move so they dont become a problem any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I know it can help, although I think solely using it points people in the wrong direction (In my opinion). I used to use hypnosis with clients, I would also have used NLP which can be effective but I've moved away from using these approaches soley especially when dealing with anxiety (I work one to one as well as speaking a on the subject for the HSE in Ireland & at festivals etc).

You can't control the thoughts that pop into your head, it's impossible. Same going with the emotions we have. You can educate people to have a better relationship with the thoughts and emotions so they are no longer the problem they were. Thats the move I have made with my clients, helping them see that they don't need 'fixed' as theres nothing really broken. As soon as my clients start to see the inside out way of experience a lot of mind made problems melt away for them rather than them having to do something. A lot of people, understandibly, are looking for a quick fix. If thats their approach then theres always going to be fixes required.

So yes hypnosis can make changes very quickly & easily but I think it needs to be done in conjunction with some education on the nature of thought. Helping clients have more present moment awareness can help them see where there experience is coming from. Giving them choice on what thoughts to go with and what to allow to move so they dont become a problem any more.
    Thanks for that.

Are you a psychotherapist?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that.

Are you a psychotherapist?

Nah, but i do work with them now and again. Transformational Coach is the term i use.

Gotcha.

As I say, I've just qualified as a hypnotherapist. I did the training purely out of intrigue and my own depression history. However, I loved it so much that I am now thinking about setting up my own practice.

Blog Entries
    Gotcha.

As I say, I've just qualified as a hypnotherapist. I did the training purely out of intrigue and my own depression history. However, I loved it so much that I am now thinking about setting up my own practice.

cool if you ever fancy a chat about it just let me know. It is very interesting and VERY rewarding. If i had one wee tip when starting out it would be make sure and niche your offering. I started out doing it as an interest when i was back home in Musselburgh. Last 3 years it's been my full time profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    cool if you ever fancy a chat about it just let me know. It is very interesting and VERY rewarding. If i had one wee tip when starting out it would be make sure and niche your offering. I started out doing it as an interest when i was back home in Musselburgh. Last 3 years it's been my full time profession.
    Cheers for the offer and the tip 😊

The bit about having a niche. I had already been thinking along those lines.....and have a couple in mind. But I'll keep stum about them on here lest anyone nicks the ideas. 😉

The bit about having a niche. I had already been thinking along those lines.....and have a couple in mind. But I'll keep stum about them on here lest anyone nicks the ideas. 😉

How did you become a Hypnotherapist, Im more curious as to what avenues you went down, Ive never seen trainee Hypnotherapist courses at college etc 😄

Similar with Plaster Technicians, something Ive been interested in but cant see any way in.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    How did you become a Hypnotherapist, Im more curious as to what avenues you went down, Ive never seen trainee Hypnotherapist courses at college etc 😄

Similar with Plaster Technicians, something Ive been interested in but cant see any way in.
    The course was a private one, run by the Clifton Practice ( based in Bristol, but the course was in Edinburgh). It's accredited by the HPC, the governing body for the UK.

I can't post links on my phone, but Google Clifton and that should point you in the right direction.

The course was a private one, run by the Clifton Practice ( based in Bristol, but the course was in Edinburgh). It's accredited by the HPC, the governing body for the UK.

I can't post links on my phone, but Google Clifton and that should point you in the right direction.

Will have a wee look mate thanks 👍

Promising Youngster Shore Thing's Avatar
    Glad this thread's still on the go.
    This caught my eye today so I thought I'd share it:

There is now a Men's Shed in Leith
    Every Tuesday afternoon 2-5 at the Edinburgh Tool Library Workshop, Custom Lane. (behind Old Custom House) This is a welcoming community for all men, working together to improve men’s health and wellbeing. Whether you enjoy working with wood and metal, learning a new skill or simply having a wee blether you are welcome to come along.
    The Men of Leith Men's Shed is an authentic men's shed run by men for the benefit of men, a community for all men, working together to improve men's health, connection and wellbeing.

"In short I feel more invigorated, more motivated, more active, healthier and indeed happier. Isn't that what a shed is about?"
    Bill B

"I went from a life of meaningless TV, fridge and couch to enjoying making a real difference to my community."
    Lou K
    If you would like more information you can contact Charlie 07946843882 or Alan 07548206142

Registered Charity SC047004.
    Supported by The City of Edinburgh and The Scottish Men's Shed Association.

Where?
    The Men of Leith Men's Shed
    Edinburgh Tool Library Workshop
    The Custom Lane,( behind Old Custom House
    65-67 Commercial Street,
    Leith EH6 6LH

I joined the Tool Library recently and highly recommend them to anyone who likes to make things, fix things, or is even just interested in having a cup of tea and watching people do stuff. They're very welcoming to men AND women of all ages and abilities. I reckon it's helped give me a sense of purpose and possibilities, and I think that's helping with my own depression.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shore Thing View Post
    Glad this thread's still on the go.
    This caught my eye today so I thought I'd share it:

There is now a Men's Shed in Leith
    Every Tuesday afternoon 2-5 at the Edinburgh Tool Library Workshop, Custom Lane. (behind Old Custom House) This is a welcoming community for all men, working together to improve men’s health and wellbeing. Whether you enjoy working with wood and metal, learning a new skill or simply having a wee blether you are welcome to come along.
    The Men of Leith Men's Shed is an authentic men's shed run by men for the benefit of men, a community for all men, working together to improve men's health, connection and wellbeing.

"In short I feel more invigorated, more motivated, more active, healthier and indeed happier. Isn't that what a shed is about?"
    Bill B

"I went from a life of meaningless TV, fridge and couch to enjoying making a real difference to my community."
    Lou K
    If you would like more information you can contact Charlie 07946843882 or Alan 07548206142

Registered Charity SC047004.
    Supported by The City of Edinburgh and The Scottish Men's Shed Association.

Where?
    The Men of Leith Men's Shed
    Edinburgh Tool Library Workshop
    The Custom Lane,( behind Old Custom House
    65-67 Commercial Street,
    Leith EH6 6LH

I joined the Tool Library recently and highly recommend them to anyone who likes to make things, fix things, or is even just interested in having a cup of tea and watching people do stuff. They're very welcoming to men AND women of all ages and abilities. I reckon it's helped give me a sense of purpose and possibilities, and I think that's helping with my own depression.

Men's Shed is a wonderful organisation. Lovely atmosphere at the one here too.

Blog Entries

haha Quite right! Well positive vibes to you with it all & shout any time you fancy bouncing ideas. Next few months for me have gravitated towards helping people with sleep & working with GPs (I have many ideas but plans aren't my forte ☺️)

I honestly find that if the topic of mental health crops up at work etc, people tend to chat away quite openly with a lot of understanding. As I never hide the fact I suffer from bipolar disorder, if I mention it the tone changes. Not particularly in a bad way but a lot of people seem to get embarrassed for me. The best way I find of combatting this is to have a laugh and joke about myself. Don't get me wrong it's far from funny when I get battered with an episode, but hey, it tends to relax folk so is it wrong?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39788226

Thoughts with Aaron and his loved ones

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39788226

Thoughts with Aaron and his loved ones
    Yep.

****my rag the mail getting pelters for thinking his huge wages have some relevance.