hibs.net Messageboard

Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also the night before especially Sunday night! It wasn't easy to start looking but I am glad I did. Hopefully in six months time I will look back at my previous job as ancient history it just didn't work. Hope you can find something too mate!
    I know what you mean, I can't enjoy and relax at the weekends as I know what is around the corner.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'm at a pretty low trough just now - I keep experiencing crippling bouts of anxiety (out of nowhere, and with no obvious triggers) in the most random of places - found myself sitting under my desk at work the other day, just to be in a really confined spot away from everything (I have my own, private office).

Life is generally stressful at the minute - I'm not 100% content at work (and I've pretty much decided I can't be an academic, though I have no solid plan B, which horrifies me); I have a wee one on the way in April (our first); I can feel myself pushing friends away (and justifying it in my head) and I feel happiest when I'm on my own at the moment, away from people.

I don't really want to go through another visit to the doctor's, as I get waves like this, but I've tried my normal 'cures' of running, writing etc and very little is helping.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'm at a pretty low trough just now - I keep experiencing crippling bouts of anxiety (out of nowhere, and with no obvious triggers) in the most random of places - found myself sitting under my desk at work the other day, just to be in a really confined spot away from everything (I have my own, private office).

Life is generally stressful at the minute - I'm not 100% content at work (and I've pretty much decided I can't be an academic, though I have no solid plan B, which horrifies me); I have a wee one on the way in April (our first); I can feel myself pushing friends away (and justifying it in my head) and I feel happiest when I'm on my own at the moment, away from people.

I don't really want to go through another visit to the doctor's, as I get waves like this, but I've tried my normal 'cures' of running, writing etc and very little is helping.
    Have you tried hypnotherapy?

From first-hand experience, it can help to make huge changes.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar

Like u i tried everything but nothing worked I was just on a downward spiral.
    I did not want to try drugs but I did and it has helped me more than I ever thought.
    If you can't find another route don't give up on visiting your doctor

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that, I am a new parent, well she's 18 months now and I'm an old(er) dad at 50, while I feel guilty about being unhappy I can guarantee it is the most amazing experience. There are no rules to depression or anxiety. I go for major long walks every weekend with my wee girl and have started swimming with her again. It has helped me loads. Hope it does for you too, it ain't easy being a dad but it's so rewarding

hi all, i was interested to read about peoples depression and anxiety due to being stuck in a job they hated. I was in the same position a few months ago- stuck in a real rut and just counting the days to the weekend and then dreading Monday morning. It got to the stage where i just had to quit for my sanity-ive had mild depression for ages and I felt i was slowly getting worse. I was fortunate enough to be in a situation where i could do that.
    I took some time off, did lots of voluntary work and shortly i start a completely different job, less well paid but one i think is better suited to my talents and I am looking forward to it...an alien feeling for me!
    Anyway, if anyone wants some encouragement or help to make that change, i would recommend it and Im happy to help

Our manager's thoughts on his own depression:-

Lennon is a complex fellow. While he uses the words “quiet” and “mellow” to describe his life today, bouts of depression still re-occur. “There have been sporadic episodes. As you get older they can be quite severe. The consolation is they’re not as prolonged as the first ones when I didn’t know what was happening. I’ve never got to the point where I’ve wanted to end it all but the episodes aren’t pleasant. Once 
out of them the world is definitely a 
better place.” What’s his coping mechanism? “Simplifying life. No alcohol, plenty of 
exercise, a bit of meditation. In that you learn to stay in the moment rather than look behind or ahead. Fifteen minutes of deep breathing and I can focus on myself and nobody and nothing else, which can be difficult if you’re a football manager.”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...-bid-1-4350987

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

Lennon is a complex fellow. While he uses the words “quiet” and “mellow” to describe his life today, bouts of depression still re-occur. “There have been sporadic episodes. As you get older they can be quite severe. The consolation is they’re not as prolonged as the first ones when I didn’t know what was happening. I’ve never got to the point where I’ve wanted to end it all but the episodes aren’t pleasant. Once 
better place.” What’s his coping mechanism? “Simplifying life. No alcohol, plenty of 
exercise, a bit of meditation. In that you learn to stay in the moment rather than look behind or ahead. Fifteen minutes of deep breathing and I can focus on myself and nobody and nothing else, which can be difficult if you’re a football manager.”

I always admire folk who talk publicly about their mental problems as I think it can help others into seeking help for theirs.

Glory Glory

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I admire him for speaking out about his depression, but as everyone on this thread will know depression is different for each and every one of us. I also have never got to the point where I've wanted to end it all, but if I'm being honest it's a thought that occurs to me on a daily basis. When I feel down I sometimes look for the easiest way out. Then I remember that I've got a loving family that I want to see when I get home.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I admire him for speaking out about his depression, but as everyone on this thread will know depression is different for each and every one of us. I also have never got to the point where I've wanted to end it all, but if I'm being honest it's a thought that occurs to me on a daily basis. When I feel down I sometimes look for the easiest way out. Then I remember that I've got a loving family that I want to see when I get home.
    Very true indeed. There are any number of individualistic reasons for becoming depressed or for suffering from anxiety. For a good number of years now the most vulnerable group for committing suicide are males reaching 40 and 50 so I'm led to believe. There's no easy one solution answer but to hear folk in the public domain publicly admitting they too suffer from mental health issues is helpful as it shows no matter how successful a person is or how much money they may have it does not prevent them from suffering such issues. A sufferer should try to get help even if its just talking to someone who will listen in an empathetic way.

Glory Glory

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Thinking about my wife and kids stops me from stepping over the line of no return.
    It is a horrible condition which I would happily help others with, which is weird given I struggle with my own condition on a daily basis.

After years of stress and anxiety coupled with SAD I chucked everything and moved to Spain.

Free from worrying about material goods, work and cold dark winters i was transformed. I live cheaply and mostly happily.I actually found a completely different person inside me.

Not for most people i know. But i jumped and 10 years later have no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    After years of stress and anxiety coupled with SAD I chucked everything and moved to Spain.

Free from worrying about material goods, work and cold dark winters i was transformed. I live cheaply and mostly happily.I actually found a completely different person inside me.

Keep thinking that's what I'd like to do eventually, I work outdoors so Im in the daylight every day but my body and mind must struggle without the vit D as my mood nose-dives when the clocks change.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post

What do you do for money?

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    What do you do for money?
    Good point.

I have a pension.

Nothing much but it's enough to live the way i do.

Bump, any chance this could be merged with thee other one please Admins?, lots of good advice and support here.
    Thanks

a very very intresting and helpful thread, though i ve not managed to read every post i have found comfort in knowing i am not the only one whom seems to be suffering from depression.
    In my case , i found it hard to explain to people that feeling of darkness- i guess the nothing-like a lack of feeling anything but unhappy feelings.
    Like a few people work is an issue and with my work, the lack of help was-is so damn frustrating.I had depression a couple of years ago and well got signed off from work, went back everythign seemed ok, not great but my mood had inproved to like a 5 outta 10 , way better than a 1 out of 10
    In the last few months, before xmas i suddenly got those old feelings back,i am unsure if they ever went away or if i had tried to remain upbeat-postive or what the heck was going on(again i find it hard to explain things) but these feelings of darkness- worthlessness, no hope suddenly came flooding back and at one time(xmas is a tough time as it is)
    With work- just the lack of help from my managers which really really made me feel even worse,I can see my job being realitively easy but with my mood,well being-health- the work seemed so hard-so tough- i guess it looked like i was so unable to do the jobs the manager asked.I did ask for help and if they could give me lighter duties for a little while and there response -"unless you have spoken to atos or get a line from your gp what can i do?" was the jest of it, which in turn made me feel so much worse.
    another thing that sorta got to me in regard work is courses that may help me, but being *woman only* sorta made me fall deeper into a dark hole

I ,like many on the thread have tried to get into a routine of excersising, though finding it a little bit of a struggle getting into that routine,I however am determined to try fight this but starting off by walking round the block, slowly building it up every week, and hopefully, with better eating habits hopefully i can run a bit and inprove my stamina there!
    thanks for reading and all the best to everyone !!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    a very very intresting and helpful thread, though i ve not managed to read every post i have found comfort in knowing i am not the only one whom seems to be suffering from depression.
    In my case , i found it hard to explain to people that feeling of darkness- i guess the nothing-like a lack of feeling anything but unhappy feelings.
    Like a few people work is an issue and with my work, the lack of help was-is so damn frustrating.I had depression a couple of years ago and well got signed off from work, went back everythign seemed ok, not great but my mood had inproved to like a 5 outta 10 , way better than a 1 out of 10
    In the last few months, before xmas i suddenly got those old feelings back,i am unsure if they ever went away or if i had tried to remain upbeat-postive or what the heck was going on(again i find it hard to explain things) but these feelings of darkness- worthlessness, no hope suddenly came flooding back and at one time(xmas is a tough time as it is)
    With work- just the lack of help from my managers which really really made me feel even worse,I can see my job being realitively easy but with my mood,well being-health- the work seemed so hard-so tough- i guess it looked like i was so unable to do the jobs the manager asked.I did ask for help and if they could give me lighter duties for a little while and there response -"unless you have spoken to atos or get a line from your gp what can i do?" was the jest of it, which in turn made me feel so much worse.
    another thing that sorta got to me in regard work is courses that may help me, but being *woman only* sorta made me fall deeper into a dark hole

I ,like many on the thread have tried to get into a routine of excersising, though finding it a little bit of a struggle getting into that routine,I however am determined to try fight this but starting off by walking round the block, slowly building it up every week, and hopefully, with better eating habits hopefully i can run a bit and inprove my stamina there!
    thanks for reading and all the best to everyone !!
    Work can be an issue as I have mentioned in previous posts. I am lucky in that I have changed jobs recently as my previous job was awful. Time will tell how this one goes but I'm glad to be out.
    Exercise is good but the motivation can be difficult. Starting to do yoga and meditation again after a long time out, due to health reasons I am unable to do strenuous exercise so these are good options. All the best to you

Great to see so many people showing that this isn't something that 'only you/I' have. I've had elements of clinical depression due to migraine headaches and suffer from increasing anxiety due to the almost constant painkillers I'm on. Throw in a job I love, but a career that has been hit due to the migraines and a work environment that I find especially difficult and I've struggled these past years.
    I recently took a 'gap' year but it's not helped as much as I hoped. I'm now feeling even more marginalised at work and trying to focus on my issues has just made me feel even more helpless.
    At times anyway...
    ANyhoo, this isn't a moan just a 'I've been there' and, at times, I come out of it.
    I've just ordered Damon Hill's new autobiography. Read an excerpt from it today and it's far more than a racing car story. Lots of mental health and depression issues and trying to live in the shadow of his father. Reading parts of it made me so appreciative that people out there, especially blokes, can open up and talk about it.
    Makes such a diff.
    Thanks all

I'm not a fan of the Royals, but fair play to William and Harry for coming out the way they have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39625897

I'm not a fan of the Royals, but fair play to William and Harry for coming out the way they have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39625897
    Aye he decided to see a councillor..wonder how long he was on the waiting list for

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Aye he decided to see a councillor..wonder how long he was on the waiting list for
    That's not the point, though, is it?

If his coming out has encouraged even 1 person to seek help, that's job done IMO.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

If his coming out has encouraged even 1 person to seek help, that's job done IMO.

The stigma attached to mental illness isn't the problem anymore. The prioritisation of feelings about mental health , over the reality of the provision of care is the problem.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 18-04-2017 at 09:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    The stigma attached to mental illness isn't the problem anymore.
    Any evidence to back this statement up?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Any evidence to back this statement up?
    This thread for starters.

This thread for starters.
    Wonderful as this thread is, and while it may be an example of stigma easing, stigma is still a big issue. This medium is anonymous to a great extent, and gives people an opportunity to speak about their issues without necessarily outing themselves. However, would they do the same publicly? And how many people read this thread without feeling the confidence to contribute?

I have little problem talking about my issues in public, indeed have presented talks about them. But I know through that, that I am absolutely in the minority in that respect.

That is why I made my point about the Princes speaking up. Yes, you're right that they would get help more easily than the general public, but they had to want that help and voice that need.... that is their worth in this debate. To encourage people to find their voice.

You're also right about general access to services being very difficult, but we're a long way from being able to say that stigma is less of an issue than access.

Wonderful as this thread is, and while it may be an example of stigma easing, stigma is still a big issue. This medium is anonymous to a great extent, and gives people an opportunity to speak about their issues without necessarily outing themselves. However, would they do the same publicly? And how many people read this thread without feeling the confidence to contribute?

I have little problem talking about my issues in public, indeed have presented talks about them. But I know through that, that I am absolutely in the minority in that respect.

That is why I made my point about the Princes speaking up. Yes, you're right that they would get help more easily than the general public, but they had to want that help and voice that need.... that is their worth in this debate. To encourage people to find their voice.

You're also right about general access to services being very difficult, but we're a long way from being able to say that stigma is less of an issue than access.

I completely disagree.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was doing a talk the other night and before me was a guy going through depression who was brace enough to tell his tale. What really struck me was the amount of question he got. Not around people's own experience of depressive thinking but around how to approach it with friends. You could sense a genuine fear in making things worse. I do think education on how to be there for someone could help.

Most of the focus seems to be on solutions. Obviously we're all different so what works for me might not for another. We can all learn to just listen and be there for someone without fear. Just seems so many want to but aren't sure how to.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    I completely disagree.
    I think CWG is spot on in his assessment. And unfortunately, if it wasn't for the stigma which undoubtedly still exists then access would be an even bigger problem.
    ​#PERSEVERED