hibs.net Messageboard

Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shore Thing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for your earlier mention of 5-HTP by the way CWG.
    It worked well for me on one particular day of brain freeze. Just took 1 and could feel the serotonin starting to get processed again.
    Tried it again and it made me feel a bit edgy so gonna save that for emergencies.
    I was glad to find out that there are non-prescription, fairly natural pills available though, as I've always hated the thought of going on to a course of prescribed medication.
    Cheers

Yeah, I have the same attitude towards it.... I can't take it for too long, otherwise I feel like I'm over-revving. Good to know it's there, though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Sorry to hear that, mate.

On the subject of breaks, I always thought that a "wee break" might help. The problem was.... your problems are still in your head, no matter where you go. In fact, if you're not working, you don't have the luxury of work distracting you from them. So I just dived straight into work, which helped as a break in itself. If that makes sense...

This thread will likely come back to the fore, as the darker nights come in.

On that note....

Light boxes, anyone?

Hypnotherapy?

Meditation?
    Thanks Crops, have tried to bury myself in work but just ended up getting more work and stressing about it. Anxiety is the worst in the wee small hours before getting up.

On a related note, I'm in the middle of training to be a hypnotherapist. It's often used in the treatment of depression.
    I'm still a novice, but if anyone fancies being a guinea-pig.....😉

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    On a related note, I'm in the middle of training to be a hypnotherapist. It's often used in the treatment of depression.
    I'm still a novice, but if anyone fancies being a guinea-pig.....😉

I tried hypnotherapy when I was in my late teens in order to get me through a specific event. I think it sort of worked? I do remember it gave me a deep feeling of relaxation that lasted several days though. Definitely worth a wee try, even if it's just a placebo type effect.

Been ages since I posted on this thread but I read it regularly and it's great that it's still going.

I'm actually now working on a mental health pilot project which uses nature as a therapy for people "suffering from, or at risk of, mental health problems" - which is a great phrase, seeing as it just means "everybody"!

We use the NEF Five Ways to Wellbeing model combined with getting people outdoors into nature, spending time in amongst parks and greenspaces doing things like nature walks, wildlife ID, wildlife recording, photography, natural art, forest skills (making safe fires and shelters etc). The idea is we get people active, get them learning new skills, slowing down and taking notice of the life around them, connecting with a greenspace and the things that live in it and giving a little back by using their new skills and spreading the message.

There are loads of studies out there that show the Five Ways model works and even more studies that show how effective spending time with nature is on improving your mood (I totally credit "discovering" the outdoors with changing my life).

Keep an eye on this sort of thing, my project is only a pilot at the moment taking place with small groups in a specific geographical area, but there will likely be opportunities out there in your local area. This sort of model - and the whole "Natural Health Service" approach - is going to be a very big thing in the coming years, there's a lot of work going on around it.

As ever, talking about mental health and de-stigmatising it is the first step. As everyone on this thread knows, there is nothing wrong with admitting you have a mental health problem, we have to keep spreading that message.

Just to flag this up on this thread: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?3...96#post4835896

As posted on that thread, there appears to be a bit of a problem with the survey just now, but will hopefully be fixed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Just to flag this up on this thread: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?3...96#post4835896

As posted on that thread, there appears to be a bit of a problem with the survey just now, but will hopefully be fixed soon.
    Sorry, the survey works fine...it's just my eyes that don't!

Blog Entries
    It's been ages since I've been on .net but coming back to this thread always helps. Things are finally on the up for me and my friend who has similar problems with depression and anxiety and risperidone was the answer for me.

Hoping to make my first Hibs game in a while in December too.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    I actually came back looking for this thread for this reason. I've been doing really well over the summer but it's usually around this time of year I start to feel myself became more anxious and down, and I start to isolate myself. I started martial arts around 18 months ago which has really turned my life around in a positive way. However I live about a 20min train journey and 15min walk away from my gym, and last year when the darker nights started coming I found it really difficult to keep going as often as I usually liked. This in turn made me withdraw and spend a lot of time alone which just compounded how miserable I was feeling. I know I have to be harder on myself, not in a bad way but just try to force myself to keep going even when I feel I don't want to, because I know I'll be glad after I've done it.

Do lightboxes really work? I've was swithering about it last year but never ended up buying one, but think it might be a good idea.
    The light box works for me, but not for everyone. The light itself can make people a bit "manic ". If you know someone who has one, maybe borrow it and see how you get on?

Another thought, though. A lot of martial arts are linked to meditative practices. Might be worth checking out if there's any that complement yours. I meditate a bit, and particularly in the long evenings. 30 minutes or so, and I'm feeling balanced.

Promising Youngster Shore Thing's Avatar
    Lightbox definitely helps me this time of year.
    Without it I find it very hard to get going, and become very reclusive.
    I swear I'm not on commission, but these one's have a 60 day trial period, might be worth a shot before you commit to buying.
    (You don't pay VAT either cos it's for a medical condition)

Decided I should search for a new job as the current one is not helping my stress and anxiety. Thing is I will most likely be taking a drop in wages and wonder the best way to say this without going into too much detail. I don't want to say less stress incase they think I think their job is easy. Anyone been in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Decided I should search for a new job as the current one is not helping my stress and anxiety. Thing is I will most likely be taking a drop in wages and wonder the best way to say this without going into too much detail. I don't want to say less stress incase they think I think their job is easy. Anyone been in this situation?
    Maybe a better way is to say you're looking for "something that better suits your talents and personality".

That's true, after all.

Maybe a better way is to say you're looking for "something that better suits your talents and personality".

That's true, after all.
    Nicely worded, will incorporate that into any applications and interviews

Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    I tried hypnotherapy when I was in my late teens in order to get me through a specific event. I think it sort of worked? I do remember it gave me a deep feeling of relaxation that lasted several days though. Definitely worth a wee try, even if it's just a placebo type effect.

Been ages since I posted on this thread but I read it regularly and it's great that it's still going.

I'm actually now working on a mental health pilot project which uses nature as a therapy for people "suffering from, or at risk of, mental health problems" - which is a great phrase, seeing as it just means "everybody"!

We use the NEF Five Ways to Wellbeing model combined with getting people outdoors into nature, spending time in amongst parks and greenspaces doing things like nature walks, wildlife ID, wildlife recording, photography, natural art, forest skills (making safe fires and shelters etc). The idea is we get people active, get them learning new skills, slowing down and taking notice of the life around them, connecting with a greenspace and the things that live in it and giving a little back by using their new skills and spreading the message.

There are loads of studies out there that show the Five Ways model works and even more studies that show how effective spending time with nature is on improving your mood (I totally credit "discovering" the outdoors with changing my life).

Keep an eye on this sort of thing, my project is only a pilot at the moment taking place with small groups in a specific geographical area, but there will likely be opportunities out there in your local area. This sort of model - and the whole "Natural Health Service" approach - is going to be a very big thing in the coming years, there's a lot of work going on around it.

As ever, talking about mental health and de-stigmatising it is the first step. As everyone on this thread knows, there is nothing wrong with admitting you have a mental health problem, we have to keep spreading that message.

I wonder if there's scope/interest to have a specific 'mental health' or even just 'stressful times' support forumy thread on here?

Sometimes it's easier to open up to strangers who you have a certain anonyimity with and this might be a very useful support mechanism for some.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    I wonder if there's scope/interest to have a specific 'mental health' or even just 'stressful times' support forumy thread on here?

Sometimes it's easier to open up to strangers who you have a certain anonyimity with and this might be a very useful support mechanism for some.

Thoughts?
    I'd be happy to contribute to that. But does this thread not fulfil the same function?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Thoughts?
    I wouldn't be against it, but this thread has been great for me. I've been able to get things off my chest that I would never have said to people I know. I read this thread for a long time before I plucked up the courage to post.
    I don't know if I've said it before, but thank you to all who have contributed to this thread.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I wouldn't be against it, but this thread has been great for me. I've been able to get things off my chest that I would never have said to people I know. I read this thread for a long time before I plucked up the courage to post.
    I don't know if I've said it before, but thank you to all who have contributed to this thread.
    Totally agree.... and a thank you from me also.

I'm in a very different place compared to a few years ago and this particular thread has been part of the difference

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shore Thing View Post
    I've been finding CBD oil very good for anxiety. Heard good things from other people who use it too.

You can either take pure oil orally, or use it in a vapouriser.

Where did you buy yours?I've had a look online and not very sure which ones are legit?

Ps it's also very nice to read this thread and see you guys all try to help each other out.

Having suffered from mild depression and anxiety at different points over the years it's good too read other people's experience's

I've found weightlifting,music and family have helped me out and although I wouldn't recommend it smoking but that's just me.
    Last edited by hibs#1; 19-11-2016 at 06:36 PM.

I suppose it does, but it might be easier to have different threads for different issues/posts/support so people can get support with any specific things.

Great to see that this thread is already doing that. Having it more specific might make it more 'searchable' so that people who don't want to post can have a better chance at finding what they want/need.

I suppose it does, but it might be easier to have different threads for different issues/posts/support so people can get support with any specific things.

Great to see that this thread is already doing that. Having it more specific might make it more 'searchable' so that people who don't want to post can have a better chance at finding what they want/need.
    I kinda agree with CWG, contributors to this thread have suffered various degrees of depression and anxiety and in many cases a reply has offered advice, or alternative treatments therapies or activities. For me, visiting this sole thread has encouraged me in many ways, not so much so the treatments, but the courage in that others have bravely opened up to post and share their experiences on a public forum.

This thread has been viewed many thousands of times, not just by contributors but also forum users passing by, some perhaps not having the courage to share but getting comfort in others experiences being shared here.

Well done all for having the courage to speak out on this thread and to others who have contributed. Hibees family class.
    Last edited by MSK; 20-11-2016 at 12:30 PM.

This thread has been a massive support for me too. There are other forums out there but I think as we all have Hibs in common it feels different somehow

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    This thread has been a massive support for me too. There are other forums out there but I think as we all have Hibs in common it feels different somehow
    Agree with this... just reading it has helped in the past.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Can only echo others comments. Great thread and from the start of it, 4 years ago, to now it has been respectful, helpful and often touching. Best thread there has been on .net (perhaps with the exception of a few of the Scottish Cup ones!!)

Personally from where I was 5 or 6 years ago through this thread starting until now is like night and day. I'm feeling as good as I have in as long as I can remember and I genuinely believe this thread has played a big part in that. Thanks to all who have contributed. I'm sure many others have and will continue to be helped by your experiences.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I'd be happy to contribute to that. But does this thread not fulfil the same function?

This thread is fantastic. One idea that was floating around my crazy head was a fans meeting group with the aim to support anyone who wants to come along. I'm sure if we spoke to the club they would get involved. Maybe meet once a month, play a bit of footy and then chat afterwards. Could be held at the training centre. It's just a wee idea.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    This thread is fantastic. One idea that was floating around my crazy head was a fans meeting group with the aim to support anyone who wants to come along. I'm sure if we spoke to the club they would get involved. Maybe meet once a month, play a bit of footy and then chat afterwards. Could be held at the training centre. It's just a wee idea.
    I would think the community side of the club would help out with that idea if you take it to them

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I would think the community side of the club would help out with that idea if you take it to them

I went to Gamblers Annonymous and just sitting sharing experiences was a massive help. Listening to people you can relate to their stories. Something along these lines would be a wonderful start. I'm not great at organising but would certainly be up for doing my bit. As I said it's amazing just what listening and being listened to can do for people.

I went to Gamblers Annonymous and just sitting sharing experiences was a massive help. Listening to people you can relate to their stories. Something along these lines would be a wonderful start. I'm not great at organising but would certainly be up for doing my bit. As I said it's amazing just what listening and being listened to can do for people.
    It's a fine idea. An hours kick about, 5 a side or whatever and then if people wanted a chat afterwards.

Even if all it was was a bit of a laugh with a football I think it would do wonders for some. If it's an idea you wanted to take further let me know as I'd be happy to help if I could.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's a fine idea. An hours kick about, 5 a side or whatever and then if people wanted a chat afterwards.

Even if all it was was a bit of a laugh with a football I think it would do wonders for some. If it's an idea you wanted to take further let me know as I'd be happy to help if I could.
    Geographical reasons would prevent me from attending but it's a great idea. Recently moved from London to Hertfordshire and going to see Royston Town and talking to folk has really helped, also bizzarly met two Hibs fans at games (and no one hun)

I think thats the crux of the matter, certainly in my early experience of depression, being listened to, Im sure Im not alone in having experienced a situation where you feel isolated but want to speak, but the so called experts out there (GPs/Therapists) are simply happy just to throw you a few tabs and send you on your way.

We are all diferent I suppose and no doubt a few simply didnt have anyone to speak to or reach out to nor in fact want to. I hope at least due to this thread that people feel less isolated and know that they have the confidence and freedom to communicate and reach out to others on here.

Left by mutual consent!
    Geographical reasons would prevent me from attending but it's a great idea. Recently moved from London to Hertfordshire and going to see Royston Town and talking to folk has really helped, also bizzarly met two Hibs fans at games (and no one hun)
    Thread hijack.

Does Danny Braithwaite still get a game for Royston? He was more than capable at this level and almost broke into the league pyramid a few seasons ago.

I know him from his time at Harrow Borough and more recently Chesham.

BTW - I'll be at Harlow Town next week if you fancy a pint and a match.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    I found a nootropic called Tianeptine effectively eliminated all my symptoms of anxiety/OCD. Pretty extraordinary. Unfortunately it's just been banned in the past few months due to the new law regarding legal highs.