hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Day 4 of this episode. Not slept all night. Having to phone in sick as my job involves life guarding so would be putting others in danger not being alert. This is the point I could easily lock myself in my bedroom and slip into the old ways of dealing with this... Can't and won't do that though. Highs and lows seem to be levelling out more but the racing thoughts keeping me awake at night. Will walk the dog later and try to relax a bit. Cheers...
    Get yourself along to the game today mate, getting myself out of the usual routine can be a real help.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Chlorpromazine on top of the rest of my meds is making me a zombie, slight reduction needed ASAFP.

Highs and lows seem to have levelled out. Beginning to feel a lot better today. The symptoms of this are always the same for me, racing thoughts, manic then so low in the space of minutes, that feeling in my gut... what the hell is that?! All mixed in with a healthy dose of paranoia. Think the worst is over so onwards and upwards. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post. Much appreciated...

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Highs and lows seem to have levelled out. Beginning to feel a lot better today. The symptoms of this are always the same for me, racing thoughts, manic then so low in the space of minutes, that feeling in my gut... what the hell is that?! All mixed in with a healthy dose of paranoia. Think the worst is over so onwards and upwards. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post. Much appreciated...
    Hope you're doing well Mikey. I'm in the same boat right now, bad health related anxiety. My mind latches onto a physical symptom and runs with it until I'm fearing the worst, so far every issue i've had turns out to be nothing bad. Going to go to the docs today and ask about help for anxiety because i've barely been sleeping recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post
    Hope you're doing well Mikey. I'm in the same boat right now, bad health related anxiety. My mind latches onto a physical symptom and runs with it until I'm fearing the worst, so far every issue i've had turns out to be nothing bad. Going to go to the docs today and ask about help for anxiety because i've barely been sleeping recently.
    Channel 4 had a new documentary last night called House of Hypochondriacs dealing with health anxiety.

It was 'very Channel 4' if that makes sense but there was a few good sections in it and it explained the condition in pretty simple terms for those who maybe don't understand how difficult it is to live with. Will be interesting to see how it develops.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Channel 4 had a new documentary last night called House of Hypochondriacs dealing with health anxiety.

It was 'very Channel 4' if that makes sense but there was a few good sections in it and it explained the condition in pretty simple terms for those who maybe don't understand how difficult it is to live with. Will be interesting to see how it develops.
    I saw it advertised but didn't watch it. I'll probably catch it on 4od. It's a terrible thing to deal with especially as hypochondria has a similar reputation as OCD in that a lot of people say they have it but don't know the true anxiety it causes people.

Has anyone had any experience of visiting the outpatient mental health at Cambridge street? And if so how did it go?

Well after a couple of trips to the docs about my health and anxiety I'm now been given meds to take(sertraline) going to wait a day or two before I decide to give them a try as I wasn't sure I wanted to go down that route also got private health care so going to call them to see if some counciling is covered.
    Had a torrid few weeks after a gastro bug floored me putting my mind into overdrive it's on my mind 24/7 so not sleeping eating feeling good just now.

It's warming to look in on this thread and see people encouraging others. Fabulous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Well after a couple of trips to the docs about my health and anxiety I'm now been given meds to take(sertraline) going to wait a day or two before I decide to give them a try as I wasn't sure I wanted to go down that route also got private health care so going to call them to see if some counciling is covered.
    Had a torrid few weeks after a gastro bug floored me putting my mind into overdrive it's on my mind 24/7 so not sleeping eating feeling good just now.
    I was wary about taking medication at first, but it has turned things around for me. Everyone is different and it won't work for everyone, but don't be scared to try it.
    Good luck and good health.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I was wary about taking medication at first, but it has turned things around for me. Everyone is different and it won't work for everyone, but don't be scared to try it.
    Good luck and good health.
    Thanks, decided to go for it. Doc said to start on a half tablet for a couple of days and it may be a couple of weeks before it kicks in properly.

What a week! I've been to the GPs 6 times in the last 2 weeks with my anxiety,been having terrible few days(apparently the meds can make it worse at the start) so much so that my wife took me today as she was concerned for my well being. A good chat with the doc and clear blood tests that I had done on Friday and hopefully I've turned the corner.

Had my first CBT meeting this week which was more of an assessment so get into it properly next week,the form I had to fill in about my current state is not good reading!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    What a week! I've been to the GPs 6 times in the last 2 weeks with my anxiety,been having terrible few days(apparently the meds can make it worse at the start) so much so that my wife took me today as she was concerned for my well being. A good chat with the doc and clear blood tests that I had done on Friday and hopefully I've turned the corner.

Had my first CBT meeting this week which was more of an assessment so get into it properly next week,the form I had to fill in about my current state is not good reading!
    You're going in the right direction :)

It can be a long, hard slog, and at times it can feel like 3 steps forward, 2 back.

CBT isn't for everyone, that's for sure, but it can be very helpful. The main point, though, is that you're actually doing something, and that has to be a comfort for you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    You're going in the right direction :)

It can be a long, hard slog, and at times it can feel like 3 steps forward, 2 back.

CBT isn't for everyone, that's for sure, but it can be very helpful. The main point, though, is that you're actually doing something, and that has to be a comfort for you. :)
    Thanks, definitely feeling a bit more positive today with much less of the analysis of my health, my wife has been an absolute rock even missing her xmas party to stay with me.

Still can't believe I'm in this situation my wife said to the doc today how much I've changed in such little time quite frightening really.

Thanks, definitely feeling a bit more positive today with much less of the analysis of my health, my wife has been an absolute rock even missing her xmas party to stay with me.

Still can't believe I'm in this situation my wife said to the doc today how much I've changed in such little time quite frightening really.
    Keep at it.

It took me a long time to get out of my cycle of thinking regarding my health, teaching myself to drop my little rituals and obsessive 'checking' but I got there and so can you.

I've had a really crap time the last couple of months with a close family bereavement and a serious illness in my girlfriends family but the other night it hit me like a ton of bricks that I actually felt/feel 'well'. I've obviously been aware for some time I've been feeling better but I really noticed that there was no aches, no chest pain, no breathlessness, no tight throat, no fatigue....

Be patient and you'll get there, focus on the good days and learn from the bad.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Keep at it.

It took me a long time to get out of my cycle of thinking regarding my health, teaching myself to drop my little rituals and obsessive 'checking' but I got there and so can you.

I've had a really crap time the last couple of months with a close family bereavement and a serious illness in my girlfriends family but the other night it hit me like a ton of bricks that I actually felt/feel 'well'. I've obviously been aware for some time I've been feeling better but I really noticed that there was no aches, no chest pain, no breathlessness, no tight throat, no fatigue....

Thank you PB good to hear it's getting positive for you. Really trying to get my breathing under control found out at the CBT that people breath around 12 times a minute I was timed at 26 so basically hyperventilating all the time without really knowing it! No wonder the symptoms you mentioned have such an impact.

Keep at it.

It's amazing just how much anxiety can manifest itself into physical symptoms. I had a few tests run for a specific condition I won't mention but for months whilst waiting for the results I was feeling tightness in chest, breathlessness, numbness and panic attacks. Once it came back clear I suddenly felt fighting fit without anything actually changing but my state of mind. I'm still struggling with over analysing small, every day body oddities that most people experience but I'm trying to stay in a positive frame of mind and it does work. Hope everyone is doing well.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    I just wanted to say well done guys keep discussing for many me included this is one of the worst months I dont know if its xmas or the long dark days maybe both.
    Ive only just come out of as bad a bout of depression ive had in a long time.
    Anxiety....paranoia.... a bit of everything..
    I made a fatal error of trying to deal with it all myself and reached breaking point. My partner was rightly furious but supportive .
    The one thing that she kept asking was what was it was it her? Was it work? What was it.
    The Truth is I never know what causes it I doubt most peple do..I do know yhis trying to deal with it on your own is the worst thing u can do...
    Confide in someone it will be the start of your recovery ...in the words of yhat Bt advert its good to talk....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Just a wee post, as I can't sleep, to all you mentalists and would be mentalists to stick in over Christmas. I love it but I know some people really do struggle at this time of year. So try to enjoy yourself, get out a walk, do what makes you happy... And Dinnae be scared to talk if yer feeling crap. Even venting on this fantastic thread helps! MON THE CABBAGE!!! rudolph

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Just a wee post, as I can't sleep, to all you mentalists and would be mentalists to stick in over Christmas. I love it but I know some people really do struggle at this time of year. So try to enjoy yourself, get out a walk, do what makes you happy... And Dinnae be scared to talk if yer feeling crap. Even venting on this fantastic thread helps! MON THE CABBAGE!!! rudolph
    All the best to you, and everyone on this thread for the festive period. It certainly isn't an easy time as typical worries are often compounded by financial worries and logistical worries of being places at times and having to have on a face for all social gatherings.

2015 has been a tumultuous year with a lot of good and bad. Thankfully, next year I'm starting a new job away from this current hell that will also have me moving back to Scotland, which will hopefully help.

I'd echo the appreciation of this thread and all who post on it. And to the poster further up who mentioned health anxiety, I hope you managed to speak to your GP. It's one of my two anxieties and it's crippling at this time of the year as we're much more susceptible to bugs and seasonal illnesses!

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    All the best to you, and everyone on this thread for the festive period. It certainly isn't an easy time as typical worries are often compounded by financial worries and logistical worries of being places at times and having to have on a face for all social gatherings.
    Have to agree with this, sympathies with anyone feeling this way. I can certainly draw a comparison as I dreaded the holidays coming for some of the reasons above. I used to enjoy Christmas like many people but now it feels like a trial. New Year celebrations were always special to me and yet now I find myself not knowing what to do with myself. Uneasy to go out, uneasy to stay home alone, it's so difficult.

This time of year has always afforded time off work to look forward to. I now find that I don't do well on my own over the holidays. What is curious and self-hurtful is that although receiving invitations I now find myself avoiding social situations which are above and beyond the ordinary. It feels like a vicious cycle I am unable to break out of.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Was hoping someone could offer advice, I've had a few friends comment that I've been really "up and down" recently. I've been through four really tough years and have noticed signs of depression in my behaviour - I've managed low mood with St Johns Wort before but I've been convinced to go and see a GP. I'm nervous about the whole thing in case I'm wasting their time and being melodramatic - how have people opened up about this before to a GP?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Was hoping someone could offer advice, I've had a few friends comment that I've been really "up and down" recently. I've been through four really tough years and have noticed signs of depression in my behaviour - I've managed low mood with St Johns Wort before but I've been convinced to go and see a GP. I'm nervous about the whole thing in case I'm wasting their time and being melodramatic - how have people opened up about this before to a GP?
    Speak to your GP, explain your feelings. Its better to air things now before you sink deeper into depression, its a hard enough road to travel down on your own so get all the support you can. It may mean medication, it may not, but go see your GP and get support.

Good luck and keep us posted 👍

Going to a GP can be a lottery. If you're unlucky, you can get someone who will send you away with a bottle of pills and no support. I've been there, and it has made me feel worse.

Now, though, I have a great relationship with my GP. I suspect she's been there herself.

I think the latter is more common these days, given the increased acceptance of the illness. If I were you, I would go for it. And don't necessarily accept the first advice that you get. Only you know how you feel.

Let us know :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Going to a GP can be a lottery. If you're unlucky, you can get someone who will send you away with a bottle of pills and no support. I've been there, and it has made me feel worse.

Now, though, I have a great relationship with my GP. I suspect she's been there herself.

I think the latter is more common these days, given the increased acceptance of the illness. If I were you, I would go for it. And don't necessarily accept the first advice that you get. Only you know how you feel.

Yip, the one thing I felt uneasy about (and kinda patronising in a way) was the depression tick list, ie - from a scale of 1-10 have you ever felt like harming yourself etc.

Depression in any shape or form is a personal issue and one that many struggle to express to a GP, however on a one to one Its easier for a Doctor to guage your feelings by talking through issues rather than a sheet of paper with a tick list.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    The last thing you have to worry about is wasting your doctors time. Just go in there and be honest about how you are feeling and take it from there. My doctor was great and very understanding and I suspect most doctors these days will be the same.

United we stand here....

Took me a couple if goes to get help from my doc but that was probably due to that not being the main issue I went, once my anxiety got bad i went back and basically asked for help, a good chat going through how I was feeling in my head and I was asked if I wanted to give meds ago to see if that would help(which I did)

A bit of an update about me.

after 4 weeks on Sertraline and not having a particularly good time on them I decided to stop them, appreciate I never gave them enough time but the side effect of sweating,sharp pains in my limbs, worse anxiety(this passed) but worse of all insomnia I decided I could handle or want to take them anymore.

the decision I took was I didn't want to be on meds I had been fine all my life and just couldn't understand how I needed them now and also I really just didn't understand what the Sertraline was going to do to make me better(didn't feel any different on them the time I took them).

the issue that triggered it all was my panicking about my health so I decided I need to get to the bottom of my concerns first and see how I deal with it from there. My stomach has not been right for nearly 3 months so I decided to book a private appointment with a gastroenterologist to work out why I was still not feeling right.

this is pretty much where I am now I'm awaiting results of various blood and poop samples, the doc agrees that something is not right so hopefully the test will find out, he doesn't think it's anything sinister but the tests are going to look for things like crohns,ibs,celiac, ulcers plus a few other things to with how my stomach deals with food.

i actually feeling much better I've got my head round to a better place. I'm glad I decided to stop the tablets and have a go at dealing with it myself,I'm still a bit concerned about how I feel but I'm much happier and more relaxed about it all now.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar

I've been on 3 different meds with the last lot sending my anxiety through the roof. Went to my gp and she asked me what action I thought was best, obviously I wanted off what I'm taking just now. I'm now gradually coming off them but she never offered any alternative, I'm dreading what im going to be like next week!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    I've been on 3 different meds with the last lot sending my anxiety through the roof. Went to my gp and she asked me what action I thought was best, obviously I wanted off what I'm taking just now. I'm now gradually coming off them but she never offered any alternative, I'm dreading what im going to be like next week!!!!
    I have had reasonable results with 5Htp, which is a non - prescription compound. It's been good when I'm feeling like I'm on a downturn, but not so low that only meds will do.
    No side - effects, as far as I can tell. Might be worth checking out, although your GP probably can't help with an opinion as there is insufficient research evidence out there.

Before I joined the forum last month I used to regularly read this thread. It's not been commented on in a while.... Probs cause we've all just experienced one of the greatest highs ever so everyone is still on cloud 9.

As someone who suffers from depression I just wanna say thanks to the posters, although I wasn't involved in the chat even just reading some of you guys experience's has helped me a lot in dealing with my condition. Docs today think that a long standing condition I've had for 2 or 3 years could be chronic fatigue syndrome so hopefully on the road to recovery now