hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you do any physical exercise Andrew? I know it would be hard at first to start (if you don't already) but after a while I'm sure it would help your energy levels and to fight the lethargy and apathy that depression can cause.

I went through some difficult times in my late teens and into my early 20's and looking back it was my taking up an active job, playing 5 aside football again after years off and then eventually getting into snowboarding and travelling to do a couple of ski seasons that really turned things round.

Apologies if this is unhelpful or it something you've already tried. I remember how hard it could be to get up and get moving when feeling low but even getting out for a walk now and then can be beneficial. Good luck with it, I hope you find something soon that helps you start to feel better.
    I go out walking every night, had increased that to a jog but been floored with a heavy cold the last week or two so just building it back up again from walking pace, i've never been the most athletic.

I also do 80 sit ups per night - this is more because the tablets I am on have increased my weight - I can't seem to shift it though. I am not overly heavy it's just completely out of shape.

I've also cut out the cr*ppy foods and replaced with fruits etc.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    It's the hopelessness I am really struggling with right now.

I got myself in to a position where I could get back to my work but after work I am always so tired even going to a game at the weekend is hard work.

I feel hopeless in the respect of no matter what I do nothing gets 'much better' I figure that coz of this I will never be happy.

I would give my left arm to lead a 'normal' life...hell I can't even remember the last time I smiled properly.

So I keep myself to myself to avoid bringing others down. I can't face going out for a pint, I don't want to have conversations about everyday life with my mates, people more often than not annoy me for no apparent reason.

It's a catch twenty-two situation, I feel like I will always be alone coz I have no confidence to go out and meet new people etc.
    Hi Andrew, yours are a lot of the classic signs of depression, feeling ennervated, hopelessness and so on.

To not surrender to those feelings of wanting to do anything - or feeling too 'tired' through depression too can be the key. That key is that you should try to ease yourself into doing some of these activities - in a small way, before the motivation comes. It won't feel comfortable, it might even feel painful but it is important to have a few little spells breaking out of that inertia you feel. Keep doing them - persevere.

I am here to tell you that things can and will improve, my friend. Many, many people recover from depression and given a bit of time, care and dedication on yourself so will you You are not bound to this forever, and there is no reason to feel hopeless. You need to work on a few simple steps as I've described though. Start at the very beginning, break it down day by day, hour by hour if necessary, but think of those little activities that you know will help and practice them in a small way. There is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel but you need to start at the beginning. Have a go, even if it's incredibly hard - just do them. Come back and report how it was, mate.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    Hi Andrew, yours are a lot of the classic signs of depression, feeling ennervated, hopelessness and so on.

To not surrender to those feelings of wanting to do anything - or feeling too 'tired' through depression too can be the key. That key is that you should try to ease yourself into doing some of these activities - in a small way, before the motivation comes. It won't feel comfortable, it might even feel painful but it is important to have a few little spells breaking out of that inertia you feel. Keep doing them - persevere.

I am here to tell you that things can and will improve, my friend. Many, many people recover from depression and given a bit of time, care and dedication on yourself so will you You are not bound to this forever, and there is no reason to feel hopeless. You need to work on a few simple steps as I've described though. Start at the very beginning, break it down day by day, hour by hour if necessary, but think of those little activities that you know will help and practice them in a small way. There is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel but you need to start at the beginning. Have a go, even if it's incredibly hard - just do them. Come back and report how it was, mate.
    Cheers Stu, I do try to keep myself as active as possible.

I just feel like no matter what I do this always, always wins. :(

Stu is absolutely spot on Andrew. I always plan my day. I write things down the night before giving myself achievable goals. Can be something as simple as going a walk, planning a meal and going to the shops to get the stuff you need. But remember, keep them achievable. I've been there mate and although things feel hopeless it's far from true. If your medication is causing weight issues go to your GP and talk about it. I had the same problem with mine. We live in a world now where everyone wants instant results. This illness takes time and patience to get under control so we can live a normal life.... But I will tell you this, what is normal?? I have friends, work colleagues who don't suffer from any form of mental illness...... But they are more ****ed up than me!!! It's hard mate. You gotta work bloody hard to get on top of it but it's worth it and so are you...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    Stu is absolutely spot on Andrew. I always plan my day. I write things down the night before giving myself achievable goals. Can be something as simple as going a walk, planning a meal and going to the shops to get the stuff you need. But remember, keep them achievable. I've been there mate and although things feel hopeless it's far from true. If your medication is causing weight issues go to your GP and talk about it. I had the same problem with mine. We live in a world now where everyone wants instant results. This illness takes time and patience to get under control so we can live a normal life.... But I will tell you this, what is normal?? I have friends, work colleagues who don't suffer from any form of mental illness...... But they are more ****ed up than me!!! It's hard mate. You gotta work bloody hard to get on top of it but it's worth it and so are you...
    Yeah for the first time in my life I got myself a diary at the start of the year. Every day I write what I've got to do at work, things I do outside of work (like walking, sit ups etc) it seems a very structured way of living and very routine but it works that wee bit better for me especially with regards to my work.

I certainly don't feel like I am or "it's" worth it anymore.

Yeah I know what you mean - there isn't really a "normal" I just guess I wish I was free of this pain, even just for one day.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Worth a bump, seeing as the subject is in the news at them moment.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    Worth a bump, seeing as the subject is in the news at them moment.
    Yep.

The debate is interesting, if for no other reason than the loonies among us seem to be seeing it in different terms :)

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I was interested on her criticism of having everyone with Mental Illness in the same ward. As there as many mental illnesses as there are people in the world, I don't see what else can be done.

We don't have separate A&E departments for different conditions, and a psychiatric ward is very much the A&E of madness. It's a place to keep people safe before they are well enough to go into the community and really get better.

Great stuff about suicide though, and it puts recent events into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    The fact that the headlines have provoked a response from professionals and sufferers is one of the better aspects of what has happened.

As I mentioned on the other thread, this might be a watershed in terms of media representation of mental health issues.

Watched the 2nd part of Louis Theroux's fantastic documentary 'By reason of Insanity' last night. Might be on my own here but I really like Theroux's work. Got right in about the grey area of not guilty by reason of insanity. Anyway... I enjoyed it. Brought back some **** memories and made me think of how far I've come with my own battles with mental illness. Although I've not committed a crime in case it comes across that way!!

Blog Entries
    Watched the 2nd part of Louis Theroux's fantastic documentary 'By reason of Insanity' last night. Might be on my own here but I really like Theroux's work. Got right in about the grey area of not guilty by reason of insanity. Anyway... I enjoyed it. Brought back some **** memories and made me think of how far I've come with my own battles with mental illness. Although I've not committed a crime in case it comes across that way!!
    His interviewing technique and the questions he asks are excellent. Great the way he sets the person up and lets them tell their own story.

Its for the viewer to decide whether the people he is talking to are mad or bad. Have to say that these were complex cases he was looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    His interviewing technique and the questions he asks are excellent. Great the way he sets the person up and lets them tell their own story.

Its for the viewer to decide whether the people he is talking to are mad or bad. Have to say that these were complex cases he was looking at.

Thought this thread should get going again.... Especially as we're playing them the morra!!!

You're right rolls, Theroux is very good at what he does. Would have been too easy for him to dance round the issue and ask easy questions but he has that knack of drawing out a story from the person them self. A lot of other interviewers could learn a lot from him. He makes it about the person affected by the subject whilst others want to make it about them. I like his work.

Not sure if FR will ever return.

Thought this thread should get going again.... Especially as we're playing them the morra!!!

You're right rolls, Theroux is very good at what he does. Would have been too easy for him to dance round the issue and ask easy questions but he has that knack of drawing out a story from the person them self. A lot of other interviewers could learn a lot from him. He makes it about the person affected by the subject whilst others want to make it about them. I like his work.
    I think he gets away with it because he plays the naive, almost 'stupid', part well. That draws people out and they confide thing they maybe wouldn't with an interviewer who appears more polished and prepeared. Of course Theroux is anything but naive or stupid but he's using a technique that works for him.

I think that's why he now works predominantly in the US. He's so well known here now he probably wouldn't get the same success in drawing people out that he had in his earlier career when he was the new kid on the block.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'm no way a psychiatrist/psychologist but the increasing prevalence of depression/anxiety and stress related disorders on early career academics in Universities is something that I've been wondering about for a long time now and I've just commissioned a study that seeks to look at perceived emotional stress/wellbeing/post-work rumination and job satisfaction amongst PhD graduates, postdoctoral researchers and first-position lecturers - so far, the responses have been fairly alarming with almost 80% of respondents feeling they suffer from a stress or anxiety related condition but feel absolutely terrified to confront it, feeling it's part and parcel of the pursuit to becoming a full lecturer or established researcher!

This isn't particularly surprising to me but in all honesty but it's alarming nonetheless. Often, those of us looking to move into permanent positions are required to demonstrate so many skills and proficiencies, it requires working way beyond our normal means and '9-5' just isn't a realistic concept. In fact, most respondents feel they work more than double an average 40 hour week, spending lengthy evenings and weekends working on grant proposals, papers, analysis, coursework etc just to fulfil the criteria for a lectureship. It's little wonder many people leave academia in the UK and pursue their careers overseas.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'm no way a psychiatrist/psychologist but the increasing prevalence of depression/anxiety and stress related disorders on early career academics in Universities is something that I've been wondering about for a long time now and I've just commissioned a study that seeks to look at perceived emotional stress/wellbeing/post-work rumination and job satisfaction amongst PhD graduates, postdoctoral researchers and first-position lecturers - so far, the responses have been fairly alarming with almost 80% of respondents feeling they suffer from a stress or anxiety related condition but feel absolutely terrified to confront it, feeling it's part and parcel of the pursuit to becoming a full lecturer or established researcher!

This isn't particularly surprising to me but in all honesty but it's alarming nonetheless. Often, those of us looking to move into permanent positions are required to demonstrate so many skills and proficiencies, it requires working way beyond our normal means and '9-5' just isn't a realistic concept. In fact, most respondents feel they work more than double an average 40 hour week, spending lengthy evenings and weekends working on grant proposals, papers, analysis, coursework etc just to fulfil the criteria for a lectureship. It's little wonder many people leave academia in the UK and pursue their careers overseas.
    The people you speak of have chosen to fight their way to the top of a certain tree within society. To get there and stay there will be some achievement. The fear of failure is a natural thing that spurs people on when they set high goals for themselves but in today's high pressure society, it can all become too much and become unhealthy.

A lot of the people I know who have "built empires" are the most unhappy.

I believe the ability to build such an empire, be it a very successful business or career lies within every one of us. Finding something that you love or have a real passion for is the key as you will feel fulfilled even if you accept that you have to make sacrifices in other areas of your life.

How many of these PHD graduates really love what they are doing?

Personally, my job isn't challenging but it has an element of stress to it which I think is a healthy thing in a way. It's a natural instinct that keeps you going. I concentrate on things I love and have a real passion for things like football and art...and these are the things that define me.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well but I think more people need to sit down and think more about what they want from life....and I don't mean in the material sense. We aren't here for a long time so we really have to try and be happy with what we have and do what we love.

People put too much pressure on themselves.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    The people you speak of have chosen to fight their way to the top of a certain tree within society. To get there and stay there will be some achievement. The fear of failure is a natural thing that spurs people on when they set high goals for themselves but in today's high pressure society, it can all become too much and become unhealthy.

A lot of the people I know who have "built empires" are the most unhappy.

I believe the ability to build such an empire, be it a very successful business or career lies within every one of us. Finding something that you love or have a real passion for is the key as you will feel fulfilled even if you accept that you have to make sacrifices in other areas of your life.

How many of these PHD graduates really love what they are doing?

Personally, my job isn't challenging but it has an element of stress to it which I think is a healthy thing in a way. It's a natural instinct that keeps you going. I concentrate on things I love and have a real passion for things like football and art...and these are the things that define me.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well but I think more people need to sit down and think more about what they want from life....and I don't mean in the material sense. We aren't here for a long time so we really have to try and be happy with what we have and do what we love.

People put too much pressure on themselves.
    The sort of people I'm speaking about aren't running departments or labs or such and in reality, we're not even in a secured position within a department.

To answer your question, I think most PhD graduates love what they're doing - they've had 3 (minimum) years slaving away at a chosen research project and if, at the end of all of that, they still elect to pursue a research career (typically as a Postdoctoral fellow) then it's not a decision taken lightly.

The desire of a lot of us is to go on to fully established academic positions - e.g., lectureships. To do so requires an inordinate amount of pressure from all corners that results in a high likelihood of failure along the way and I think you touch on something I've said myself in the paper I'm writing on the back of the survey - academia attracts perfectionists - those who aren't happy unless they've published x amount of papers or published in journals such as Nature or Science...those who view any grant income under £100k as 'small potatoes'. Factor in teaching reviews, paper rejections, actually conducting research and the additional stuff such as reviewing papers for others, attending conferences etc and the workload is exponentially unmanageable.

People put that sort of pressure on themselves because until they hit the security of 'tenure' (to borrow the American terminology), the temporary contract is an area of anxiety in itself as it's not secure in the slightest and can mean a lot of moving around and not being able to settle. The system also puts that kind of pressure on you though because until you can prove you can do ALL of that, you're not going to get anywhere near tenure. It's a vicious cycle that breeds stress.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Thank you to everyone whom has posted on this thread!
    I ve read quite a few pages(not all though,sadly) and i guess in a selfish way it points out to me im not alone in feeling down/depressed.

A few helpful tips also included on the thread and well thank you all again for posting your experinces, the good ,bad and the ugly side of depression(if there ever was a good side to it?)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    Thank you to everyone whom has posted on this thread!
    I ve read quite a few pages(not all though,sadly) and i guess in a selfish way it points out to me im not alone in feeling down/depressed.

A few helpful tips also included on the thread and well thank you all again for posting your experinces, the good ,bad and the ugly side of depression(if there ever was a good side to it?)
    I was talking to a mate about this earlier.

In dealing with my depression, my fitness regime is better, as is my diet. I have discovered meditation, and a host of other management tools.

All of these help me deal with my depression, but also enhance my life. Had I not had the condition in the first place, would I have had them? I would argue not.

In that way, there has been a positive side.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I was talking to a mate about this earlier.

In dealing with my depression, my fitness regime is better, as is my diet. I have discovered meditation, and a host of other management tools.

All of these help me deal with my depression, but also enhance my life. Had I not had the condition in the first place, would I have had them? I would argue not.

In that way, there has been a positive side.
    hi there glad that it has had a postive effect on you health mate!
    Im in a similar situation and am trying to get in shape.eat better which im hopinh in turn will help with the depression.Just a part of me thinks its a good idea but the other part of me thinks im not *dealing with the problem of depression* if that makes sense .
    I think it takes time and being a few stone overweight im sure will take a few more weeks than the person with a few lbs to lose!!

Blog Entries
    What I find makes my Depression worse is the fact that nearly every doctor I see just throws more anti psychotics at me. 700mg of Seroquel a night and they are talking about increasing it again.

For me, MoodJuice and other sites have been a great tool in showing different ways to deal with it rather than popping pills the whole time.

@hibs.net private member
    Has anyone been on Lithium?

I am currently on 375mg of venlafaxine during the day and 45mg of Mirtazapine at night.

However I get about 3-4 'good' hours throughout the day then just feel very tired, upset etc.

I've been maintaining my exercise and healthy eating routine for a while and feel no difference in fact probably felt worse than I've done for a year in the last couple of weeks.

So my psychiatrist has suggested Lithium in combiniation with the venalfaxine through the day. Just wondered if people had any experinces with Lithium as I've done a bit of research and I am still unsure as to whether it's a good option.

I am currently on 375mg of venlafaxine during the day and 45mg of Mirtazapine at night.

However I get about 3-4 'good' hours throughout the day then just feel very tired, upset etc.

I've been maintaining my exercise and healthy eating routine for a while and feel no difference in fact probably felt worse than I've done for a year in the last couple of weeks.

So my psychiatrist has suggested Lithium in combiniation with the venalfaxine through the day. Just wondered if people had any experinces with Lithium as I've done a bit of research and I am still unsure as to whether it's a good option.
    Don't know about Lithium, but I used to be on Venlafaxine.

I came off it when I saw what it did to my cholesterol levels. Maybe you should get them checked.

This time of year can be a struggle for us crazies. A combination of coming out of the hibernation of winter, and the very light nights, can combine to throw sleeping and energy patterns all over the place.

A wee bit about Venaflaxine here ..Serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)

SNRIs are similar to SSRIs. They were designed to be a more effective antidepressant than SSRIs. However, the evidence that SNRIs are more effective in treating depression is uncertain. It seems some people respond better to SSRIs while others respond better to SNRIs.

Examples of SNRIs include duloxetine (Cymbalta and Yentreve) and venlafaxine (E***or).

These were the ones I was on & it was the Seroxat that practically destroyed me ...they offered me Sertraline but I refused & went cold turkey !!

Fluoxetine is probably the best known SSRI (sold under the brand name Prozac). Other SSRIs include citalopram (Cipramil), paroxetine (Seroxat) and sertraline (Lustral).

Ive had a few health issues to deal with the past few months & I am now taking 100mg of Trazadone (Oleptro) to aid sleep & hopefully kick my anxiety in to touch ...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Don't know about Lithium, but I used to be on Venlafaxine.

I came off it when I saw what it did to my cholesterol levels. Maybe you should get them checked.

This time of year can be a struggle for us crazies. A combination of coming out of the hibernation of winter, and the very light nights, can combine to throw sleeping and energy patterns all over the place.
    I prefer winter anyway but I understand what you mean. Although every time of the year seems to be a struggle. Got a stag do in budapest this weekend and I really ain't in the mood for it. Finding work harder and harder again which had been a lot easier since I returned to work in Jan after 6 months off.

I feel like I am regressing rapidly instead of progressing as I was doing a month or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    A wee bit about Venaflaxine here ..Serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)

SNRIs are similar to SSRIs. They were designed to be a more effective antidepressant than SSRIs. However, the evidence that SNRIs are more effective in treating depression is uncertain. It seems some people respond better to SSRIs while others respond better to SNRIs.

Examples of SNRIs include duloxetine (Cymbalta and Yentreve) and venlafaxine (E***or).

These were the ones I was on & it was the Seroxat that practically destroyed me ...they offered me Sertraline but I refused & went cold turkey !!

Fluoxetine is probably the best known SSRI (sold under the brand name Prozac). Other SSRIs include citalopram (Cipramil), paroxetine (Seroxat) and sertraline (Lustral).

Ive had a few health issues to deal with the past few months & I am now taking 100mg of Trazadone (Oleptro) to aid sleep & hopefully kick my anxiety in to touch ...
    So posssibly the venlafaxine is an additional issue rather than an aid?

I prefer winter anyway but I understand what you mean. Although every time of the year seems to be a struggle. Got a stag do in budapest this weekend and I really ain't in the mood for it. Finding work harder and harder again which had been a lot easier since I returned to work in Jan after 6 months off.

I feel like I am regressing rapidly instead of progressing as I was doing a month or two ago.

So posssibly the venlafaxine is an additional issue rather than an aid?
    Or dosage may need tweaked Andrew, Im not certain of that but def worth mentioning to your GP as opposed to just "getting on with it" ...its about what works best for the individual, Prozac & others imo made my symptoms far worse, to the point of unbearable, but they have been successful for others..

Hope it all works out for you mate ..

@hibs.net private member
    Or dosage may need tweaked Andrew, Im not certain of that but def worth mentioning to your GP as opposed to just "getting on with it" ...its about what works best for the individual, Prozac & others imo made my symptoms far worse, to the point of unbearable, but they have been successful for others..

Hope it all works out for you mate ..
    Doc checked last week, I am on the highest dose allowed.

Thanks, getting back to the stage where I can't see a way out of this hell.

Doc checked last week, I am on the highest dose allowed.

Thanks, getting back to the stage where I can't see a way out of this hell.
    You will mate, it wont be a quick fix, never is ..there will be a few dark days but things will move on, you are doing everything possible to get to the other end ...& you will ..

@hibs.net private member
    You will mate, it wont be a quick fix, never is ..there will be a few dark days but things will move on, you are doing everything possible to get to the other end ...& you will ..
    Thanks mate, I hope so.

Cheers for your replies, appreciated.