hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Ingrown Toenail/Fix or Removal

Anyone had a very painful ingrown toenail that has needed treated or at worse removed entirely ?

Ive had bother for years with my big toe on my right foot and tended to just dig away at it to give me some relief. It flared up during covid period and even though I had been reluctant to get it seen to It was obviously impossible to get an appointment at that time

The problem now is that Ive had numbness in that toe with numb sensations in my right foot, I was kind of hoping that it was caused by pressure from the nail but after speaking to my diabetic nurse who suggests it may be diabetic neuropathy !! 🤢 so referred me to Chiropodist for an urgent appointment which I have on Monday morn, I dont do feet and Im crapping myself at the thought of someone even touching my feet

Anyone been in the same boat that could offer me some advice, or comfort ? 🥵

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    This won't be what you want to hear but I had to get half of my big toenail removed due to the pain it was causing me. Needed a really painful injection first. All fine afterwards though. That was 2019 and it's since grown back and fallen off so the problem hasn't been fixed although nowhere like the pain I used to get.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This won't be what you want to hear but I had to get half of my big toenail removed due to the pain it was causing me. Needed a really painful injection first. All fine afterwards though. That was 2019 and it's since grown back and fallen off so the problem hasn't been fixed although nowhere like the pain I used to get.
    Cheers mate, yeah I was thinking of the worst case scenario so might just have to suck it up, its probably the injection Im fearing the most, Ive not got a needle phobia but I just cant bear a needle going into my toe, particularly as its already painful 😩

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Cheers mate, yeah I was thinking of the worst case scenario so might just have to suck it up, its probably the injection Im fearing the most, Ive not got a needle phobia but I just cant bear a needle going into my toe, particularly as its already painful ��
    Perhaps too far gone for this now for you, but I've managed to avoid any ingrowing toenail problems after childhood since I saw a runner wedge a sliver of matchstick between toe and nail. Whenever ingrowth threatens, that does the trick in training the nail to behave properly. When just a lad had a toenail completely removed at the old Great Junction St hospital (was that Leith Hospital? - can't remember now) which I don't remember as painful but do remember involving a lot of faff and waiting time for proper regrowth. Good luck!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Perhaps too far gone for this now for you, but I've managed to avoid any ingrowing toenail problems after childhood since I saw a runner wedge a sliver of matchstick between toe and nail. Whenever ingrowth threatens, that does the trick in training the nail to behave properly. When just a lad had a toenail completely removed at the old Great Junction St hospital (was that Leith Hospital? - can't remember now) which I don't remember as painful but do remember involving a lot of faff and waiting time for proper regrowth. Good luck!
    Cheers mate yeah that would be Leith hospital, a place I frequented often as a kid. Similar to what you say with the matchstick a lass I knew said she placed a bit of wool from a cotton bud into the ingrown part, not a cure but some relief, but yeah its too late for my nail now so I will just have to stop being a big jessie and get it done 😳

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I had my nail removed three times but every time it grew back the same. Eventually had nail and nail bed removed to make sure the nail never grew back. Wish they had done that first.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I had my nail removed three times but every time it grew back the same. Eventually had nail and nail bed removed to make sure the nail never grew back. Wish they had done that first.
    Aw gawd, Im feeling squeamish now 😳🤢

Long ago during my football career (stop laughing at the back) I had a period where my big toe nails were giving a lot a bother. They were both removed and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Both grew back perfectly and the relief was a joy.

I had to have one removed after a cricket game. No time wasting because I knew it wasn't worth the pain.

I hate, I mean really hate having my feet touched but go semi regularly to keep my nails, particularly the big ones in good condition. £46 a time is better than me hacking at them more than twice!

I think podiatrists have a knack of knowing how not to tickle peoples feet.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Long ago during my football career (stop laughing at the back) I had a period where my big toe nails were giving a lot a bother. They were both removed and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Both grew back perfectly and the relief was a joy.

I had to have one removed after a cricket game. No time wasting because I knew it wasn't worth the pain.

I hate, I mean really hate having my feet touched but go semi regularly to keep my nails, particularly the big ones in good condition. £46 a time is better than me hacking at them more than twice!

I think podiatrists have a knack of knowing how not to tickle peoples feet.
    Cheers Jack, like you I played football and was right footed(still am unless I get my foot chopped off) since I left school and up until now I have worn steel toe capped boots, first 10 years of working wearing boots akin to cloggs, none of your fancy dancy air cushioned efforts that get worn nowadays, that and being left handed, yeah Im a bit weird, whereas I struggled to cut my toe nails and they were often a mess, worse when I was getting up for a pee during the night and my ragged nails would drag the nylon bed sheets along the hallway 😩

@hibs.net private member
    Had a partial removal of my right big toe nail. It’s not too bad a minor op at all. Follow the advice given on pain relief and rest etc and after a day or so you’ll feel the relief and start to get moving again. A bit inconvenience ref footwear and driving etc but defo worth getting it done.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Had a partial removal of my right big toe nail. It’s not too bad a minor op at all. Follow the advice given on pain relief and rest etc and after a day or so you’ll feel the relief and start to get moving again. A bit inconvenience ref footwear and driving etc but defo worth getting it done.
    Cheers, did you get it done there and then or did you get a check up first from the Podiatrist ? This is my first appointment, will it be a check up first and then a follow up to face the scalpel or will they basically just slice and dice and get it done ?

Im genuinely feeling uncomfortable even at the thought 🤢

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers Jack, like you I played football and was right footed(still am unless I get my foot chopped off) since I left school and up until now I have worn steel toe capped boots, first 10 years of working wearing boots akin to cloggs, none of your fancy dancy air cushioned efforts that get worn nowadays, that and being left handed, yeah Im a bit weird, whereas I struggled to cut my toe nails and they were often a mess, worse when I was getting up for a pee during the night and my ragged nails would drag the nylon bed sheets along the hallway 😩

Nylon sheets ? Agony.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Nylon sheets ? Agony.
    Back in the day mate, still cringe when I think about it 😫

Cheers mate, yeah I was thinking of the worst case scenario so might just have to suck it up, its probably the injection Im fearing the most, Ive not got a needle phobia but I just cant bear a needle going into my toe, particularly as its already painful 😩
    The jag seemed to go on forever, worst pain since I got a big needle up ma chorus and verse for ingrown toenails when I was about 14....that's how they did it back then!

But it's a matter of seconds so just be brave. Far less painful than someone standing on it that's for sure

@hibs.net private member
    The jag seemed to go on forever, worst pain since I got a big needle up ma chorus and verse for ingrown toenails when I was about 14....that's how they did it back then!

But it's a matter of seconds so just be brave. Far less painful than someone standing on it that's for sure
    A needle up yer erse to numb yer toe, how swollen was your ****ing toe ? 😳

So its a jag up the bum too ? This is getting worse by the post 😩

Its actually not so much someone standing on my toe, my dug has a knack of flicking it with his tail, wee **** ! 😳

A needle up yer erse to numb yer toe, how swollen was your ****ing toe ? 😳

So its a jag up the bum too ? This is getting worse by the post 😩

Its actually not so much someone standing on my toe, my dug has a knack of flicking it with his tail, wee **** ! 😳
    No no no, the jag up the erky was in 1972, they stopped that a long time ago

It's only in the affected toe.

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers, did you get it done there and then or did you get a check up first from the Podiatrist ? This is my first appointment, will it be a check up first and then a follow up to face the scalpel or will they basically just slice and dice and get it done ?

Im genuinely feeling uncomfortable even at the thought 🤢
    I went privately to a chiropodist first and she advised removal. Contacted GP and had to go through a self referral process, filled out a form and basically waited for an appointment. Was seen pretty quickly at the community health centre at Slateford.

@hibs.net private member
    No no no, the jag up the erky was in 1972, they stopped that a long time ago

It's only in the affected toe.
    Phew, just the needle into the toe then, I feel just a tiny bit better now 😁

To be honest I went through an op at WGH a few months ago when they had to stick needles into my joy stick but whilst slightly anxious at the thought of the needles going into that area it wasnt too bad, stung a bit but overall it was fine, albeit it was numb for a day after

My toe though, cant bear the thought 🤢
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 07-04-2024 at 07:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    I went privately to a chiropodist first and she advised removal. Contacted GP and had to go through a self referral process, filled out a form and basically waited for an appointment. Was seen pretty quickly at the community health centre at Slateford.
    Thanks for that, Im hoping they can maybe tidy it up and then follow up with de-nailing or whatever, just dont want to have to take time off work as it may be difficult with footwear etc

Thanks for that, Im hoping they can maybe tidy it up and then follow up with de-nailing or whatever, just dont want to have to take time off work as it may be difficult with footwear etc
    You'll be fine, I even managed to run for the bus after I got mine done 😁

@hibs.net private member
    You'll be fine, I even managed to run for the bus after I got mine done 😁
    Ive got a sneaky feeling you may be enjoying my sitting here trembling at the though of the potential of toe decapitation 🤣

Im actually gonna lie and think about hibs throughout my appointment, that should cheer me up 🤣

I had chronic issues with my left big toenail.

I had the whole thing removed but it grew back ingrown. Then I had a section removed and it grew back ingrown again. Finally I went for the nuclear option and had the whole nail removed again and the nail bed treated so it doesn't grow back. I think it's a phenol solution they apply.

The injections into the nerves for the removal aren't pleasant and it's tender for a few days afterwards but they will give you stronger painkillers than paracetamol if required. Iirc the first dressing change is done a day or 2 later by a nurse then they will give you some manuka honey dressings and gauze away to do it yourself for a week or 2. 5 years on I'm sure I made the right decsion. Toe looks a bit funny with no nail and it is a bit uncomfortable at first but the nail bed desensitised fairly quickly and it's no bother at all now.

One thing to be aware of if you go for removal is if there is infection present you may have to go on a course or antibiotics first before they will inject. Also remember you can self refer to podiatry in Scotland so no need to go through your GP.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 07-04-2024 at 11:26 AM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I had the whole thing removed but it grew back ingrown. Then I had a section removed and it grew back ingrown again. Finally I went for the nuclear option and had the whole nail removed again and the nail bed treated so it doesn't grow back. I think it's a phenol solution they apply.

The injections into the nerves for the removal aren't pleasant and it's tender for a few days afterwards but they will give you stronger painkillers than paracetamol if required. Iirc the first dressing change is done a day or 2 later by a nurse then they will give you some manuka honey dressings and gauze away to do it yourself for a week or 2. 5 years on I'm sure I made the right decsion. Toe looks a bit funny with no nail and it is a bit uncomfortable at first but the nail bed desensitised fairly quickly and it's no bother at all now.

One thing to be aware of if you go for removal is if there is infection present you may have to go on a course or antibiotics first before they will inject. Also remember you can self refer to podiatry in Scotland so no need to go through your GP.
    Yip, I had the same as i said earlier. You describe it better than me though. Unfortunately it was my 3th govat it after years of hassle, should have done that first time

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Thanks for that PB, very informative. The dressings part is fine as my Wife is a Surgical Nurse so she can do my dressings as I wouldnt even be able to look at my toe after its done

My Diabetes Nurse made the appointment as urgent and I got it within a week although I think initially to fix the nail as being diabetic puts me at high risk of infection as I used to just hack away at it myself to relieve the pain, which actually worked to a point

There is also the question of neuropathy due to numbness in my big toe so Nurse is thinking the ingrown nail could be compressing nerves in the toe, all will be known tomorrow 🤢

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I have fairly minor problems and cut a V into the middle of my nail. It was a GP that advised that years ago.

I'm convinced it helps but the internet says it is a lot of Colin Nish.

@hibs.net private member
    Well after a sleepless night I managed to drag myself along to face the foot butcher, a bit of digging with a scalpel, some blood, some pain, some gauze and some strong painkillers and I was partially sorted 🤢

Probably will end up losing half my nail top to bed with the nail bed killed with Phenol (as mentioned above by PB) hopefully it can be avoided though but its just a case of wait and see 🫣

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I have fairly minor problems and cut a V into the middle of my nail. It was a GP that advised that years ago.

Funny you mention that Speedy, I asked the Podiatrist that exact question this morning and he said it wouldnt make any difference and advised good foot care, moisturising if feet are dry and when doing toe nails let them grow slightly above the tip of the toe and cut in a straight line and then gently file the corners, that will stop the nail turning in and will or should prevent them growing into the flesh
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 08-04-2024 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

I mentioned that to my podiatrist not so long ago as he cut fairly straight. A fashion from a few years ago he said but doesn't make any difference. I still do it to get the cutting started if the nail is too thick to attack otherwise.
    Space to let

On a less painful toe theme, anyone recommend treatment for infected toenails? Left big toe has been a problem for a few years and none of the stuff off the shelf seemed to make much difference. I then used a solution from Napiers herbalists which actually DID clear it up, but it's returned since then. Maybe I just need to keep applying this stuff to keep things at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    On a less painful toe theme, anyone recommend treatment for infected toenails? Left big toe has been a problem for a few years and none of the stuff off the shelf seemed to make much difference. I then used a solution from Napiers herbalists which actually DID clear it up, but it's returned since then. Maybe I just need to keep applying this stuff to keep things at bay.
    I'm not an expert, but it's something I think it might be worth speaking to your GP about.

I had a fungal nail infection for years and years, I think it developed from athlete's foot. The toenail didn't look too clever, was very thick and yellow and any DIY remedies didn't seem to work.

My doctor put me on a course of low dose antifungals for a few months until it fully resolved with no issues. I think you've sometimes got to be careful with the binge drinking on the medication as the medication isn't great for your liver but it totally resolved the issues and I have no problems now.

On the face of it it wasn't that big a deal but I think it had the potential to be very problematic for the toenail (possibly leading to some of the unpleasant issues mentioned elsewhere on this thread) so I'd be inclined to get it checked if I were you.

It's funny how you can feel a bit self conscious about having dodgy feet or toes (never looks great if you're by a swimming pool or staying over at somebody's and padding about in your bare feet) so it has been very nice to get them back to full health.