hibs.net Messageboard

Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep.

****my rag the mail getting pelters for thinking his huge wages have some relevance.
    I'm wondering if they do.

Perfectionism, and the striving for excellence, are a contributor to depression. The fact that AL is paid stupid amounts of money puts a pressure on him, an expectation to perform like a superhero every week. Some people are resilient enough to deal with not being able to do it, some not.

We've seen evidence this season of our manager being a perfectionist. I can't help thinking that that is a contributor to his own depression.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Anyone have any tips for dealing with post night out anxiety? I know it's brought on myself and the answer should really be to not drink but when I do find myself having a night out or even enough wine at dinner with the family, the next morning my anxiety kicks into overdrive. Anyone experience similar or have any advice to lessen the severity?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post
    Anyone have any tips for dealing with post night out anxiety? I know it's brought on myself and the answer should really be to not drink but when I do find myself having a night out or even enough wine at dinner with the family, the next morning my anxiety kicks into overdrive. Anyone experience similar or have any advice to lessen the severity?
    I try and do something to take my mind of it. Go for a walk or a swim. If your staying in the house try reading a book or watching a film. I find reading or watching a film tends to make me fall asleep and when I wake up I tend to feel better.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Acceptance goes a long way to calming the mind..Just accepting that your experiencing a feeling which you labelling as anxiety. Don't resist it or it'll stick around just notice it for what it is an energy thats produced because of conscious or unconscious thinking. Once you accept is and embrace it it will move itself. If you think of it as a bad thing and something that needs to be fixed your mind will go crazy trying to think of ways to calm down. It has the right intention but goes a long way about helping you feel good. If you do nothing with anxious thoughts they will move on if you do nothing with the anxious feeling it will move on.

One of the posters here has mentioned going for a walk swim etc..Id agree..It works because you stop resisting what is happening (to give you the anxious feeling) and allow new thought to pop into your head on the walk (or listening to music, or chatting to mates or watching Hibs etc)...New thought new feeling..

Not everones cup of tea but I'm going to recommend a few books that could potentially help (what works for one may not work for another due to our unique processing of information)...But here you go:

Somebody Should Have Told Us - Jack Pransky (One of my favourite books, simple to read. No techniques but gives a simple approach to understanding our relationship with our thoughts)
    Clarity - Jamie Smart (Another simple read about 3 principles & inside out understanding)
    Dare - Barry McDonagh (I've had a few chats with Barry to do with work & love this book...It gives you an approach to deal with anxiety specifically)
    Mind Calm - Sandy Newbigging (I've worked with Sandy for years & I teach the programme in Ireland & Edinburgh....Simple to read & apply & loads of support material on his website)

Hope that helps..

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I try and do something to take my mind of it. Go for a walk or a swim. If your staying in the house try reading a book or watching a film. I find reading or watching a film tends to make me fall asleep and when I wake up I tend to feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    Acceptance goes a long way to calming the mind..Just accepting that your experiencing a feeling which you labelling as anxiety. Don't resist it or it'll stick around just notice it for what it is an energy thats produced because of conscious or unconscious thinking. Once you accept is and embrace it it will move itself. If you think of it as a bad thing and something that needs to be fixed your mind will go crazy trying to think of ways to calm down. It has the right intention but goes a long way about helping you feel good. If you do nothing with anxious thoughts they will move on if you do nothing with the anxious feeling it will move on.

One of the posters here has mentioned going for a walk swim etc..Id agree..It works because you stop resisting what is happening (to give you the anxious feeling) and allow new thought to pop into your head on the walk (or listening to music, or chatting to mates or watching Hibs etc)...New thought new feeling..

Not everones cup of tea but I'm going to recommend a few books that could potentially help (what works for one may not work for another due to our unique processing of information)...But here you go:

Somebody Should Have Told Us - Jack Pransky (One of my favourite books, simple to read. No techniques but gives a simple approach to understanding our relationship with our thoughts)
    Clarity - Jamie Smart (Another simple read about 3 principles & inside out understanding)
    Dare - Barry McDonagh (I've had a few chats with Barry to do with work & love this book...It gives you an approach to deal with anxiety specifically)
    Mind Calm - Sandy Newbigging (I've worked with Sandy for years & I teach the programme in Ireland & Edinburgh....Simple to read & apply & loads of support material on his website)

Hope that helps..
    Thanks for the swift responses and advice guys. I'll definitely aim to try and take my mind off of it rather than sitting wallowing in my own self destructive thoughts. I'll also give a few of those books a read Dalianwanda, cheers for the suggestions. Since I had a few panic attacks last year I've struggled with anxiety, in particular my desire to try new things and adventure to new areas. As soon as I venture out-with my comfort zone my thoughts turn negative. Something I never used to have a problem with and something i'd desperately like to solve. A type of agoraphobia almost.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the swift responses and advice guys. I'll definitely aim to try and take my mind off of it rather than sitting wallowing in my own self destructive thoughts. I'll also give a few of those books a read Dalianwanda, cheers for the suggestions. Since I had a few panic attacks last year I've struggled with anxiety, in particular my desire to try new things and adventure to new areas. As soon as I venture out-with my comfort zone my thoughts turn negative. Something I never used to have a problem with and something i'd desperately like to solve. A type of agoraphobia almost.
    No worries, any questions just give me a shout...By the way dont try & take you mind off things (if you try & resist thoughts then the thought your resisting will stick around)..Just notice your resisting, accept it and get on with things..New thought will then pop in all by itself without even trying :-)

We all have negative thoughts, I have some completely mental ones now and again..The thing is with most of these we just brush them off as crazy thoughts, luagh them away....Some though we can believe as real & bad and thats when problems can be created...What ever the thought & feeling is its just a thought, its just an emotion..If your feeling **** then thats a sign your thinkings off course a bit..(I've heard it described as the rumble strip on the motorway)..Your emotions are a good indicator of your thinking, nothing to do with the situation your thinking about...

As I say any questions gimmie a shout...

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

I once found myself unexpectedly in a room with John Reid, the former Labour MP and Cabinet Minister. It was just prior to something that I was finding incredibly traumatic and my anxiety was in overdrive - and it was obvious.

He said to me that I should contemplate two things. Firstly the vast number of galaxies, stars and planets in the Universe. Secondly the almost infinite stretch of time and the generations and billions of human beings who had lived and died. Then he said I should think about the thing I was worrying about and my wider non-specific anxiety or depression and consider how much any of it really mattered in the more vast sweep of things. Really, he said, there are very, very few things that you can't find a way to cope with, recover from or use to strengthen you despite how fearful they may think they are making you.

I asked him what he meant by 'they may think they are making you'. He said that in many cases what people were anxious or depressed about was not ultimately the thing that they thought they were worried about or depressed by, it was their fearing it or being depressed about it that had come to be their focus and quite often the original source of the worry was quite manageable compared to the monster that their own fear had become. His answer was to place all of this in the context of a Universe spectacularly larger than ourselves and to accept that most things didn't ultimately matter and just weren't as important as we persuaded ourselves they were.

I found it helpful at the time and have ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I once found myself unexpectedly in a room with John Reid, the former Labour MP and Cabinet Minister. It was just prior to something that I was finding incredibly traumatic and my anxiety was in overdrive - and it was obvious.

He said to me that I should contemplate two things. Firstly the vast number of galaxies, stars and planets in the Universe. Secondly the almost infinite stretch of time and the generations and billions of human beings who had lived and died. Then he said I should think about the thing I was worrying about and my wider non-specific anxiety or depression and consider how much any of it really mattered in the more vast sweep of things. Really, he said, there are very, very few things that you can't find a way to cope with, recover from or use to strengthen you despite how fearful they may think they are making you.

I asked him what he meant by 'they may think they are making you'. He said that in many cases what people were anxious or depressed about was not ultimately the thing that they thought they were worried about or depressed by, it was their fearing it or being depressed about it that had come to be their focus and quite often the original source of the worry was quite manageable compared to the monster that their own fear had become. His answer was to place all of this in the context of a Universe spectacularly larger than ourselves and to accept that most things didn't ultimately matter and just weren't as important as we persuaded ourselves they were.

I found it helpful at the time and have ever since.
    Thanks a lot for the support and kind words DW.

That's some great advice ODS, it's completely true that the thought of being anxious itself is far more crippling than the catalyst of the anxiety ever was or will be. I'll try and take it on board next time any intrusive thoughts float by.

You are not alone mate, after a few beers, not a skinfull either, I normally wake up to an anxiety attack, its a horrible feeling, up to the toilet, wretching, pacing the bedroom. Mind goes into overdrive, like I say, its not after a bender, prob kicks in after I go over 6 pint bottles of lager or similar strength. I know its all in the mind but when it kicks in it totally ruins my weekend. I suppose in one sense it has made me physically fitter
    due to reducing my alcohol intake

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    You are not alone mate, after a few beers, not a skinfull either, I normally wake up to an anxiety attack, its a horrible feeling, up to the toilet, wretching, pacing the bedroom. Mind goes into overdrive, like I say, its not after a bender, prob kicks in after I go over 6 pint bottles of lager or similar strength. I know its all in the mind but when it kicks in it totally ruins my weekend. I suppose in one sense it has made me physically fitter
    due to reducing my alcohol intake
    Sounds familiar! Worst one happened to me recently after a stag do, tried to sleep the next day but it felt as though I was spinning around in circles which caused a panic attack as I thought I'd never be able to sleep again. Turns out I was just hyperventilating from anxiety and causing dizziness to myself. Despite often suffering anxiety in day to day life, after drinking thoughts which are completely irrational and wouldn't usually bother me tend to induce panic. You're right though, it's definitely a hint to quell the consumption as it's not doing any favours to us.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Sounds familiar! Worst one happened to me recently after a stag do, tried to sleep the next day but it felt as though I was spinning around in circles which caused a panic attack as I thought I'd never be able to sleep again. Turns out I was just hyperventilating from anxiety and causing dizziness to myself. Despite often suffering anxiety in day to day life, after drinking thoughts which are completely irrational and wouldn't usually bother me tend to induce panic. You're right though, it's definitely a hint to quell the consumption as it's not doing any favours to us.
    One of the byproducts that the liver creates when processing alcohol is acetaldehyde. It's thought to be a main cause of a lot of the symptoms of a hangover, including heightened anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    One of the byproducts that the liver creates when processing alcohol is acetaldehyde. It's thought to be a main cause of a lot of the symptoms of a hangover, including heightened anxiety.
    Interesting! I didn't know that, cheers.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Interesting! I didn't know that, cheers.
    I'm no expert by any means but I did a bit of reading up on it a few years back after noticing how anxious I was the day after a few drinks. There wouldn't be any harm at all imo in reading up on some of the neurotransmitters involved in anxiety and the things that can affect them if you feel inclined. I found it helpful to attempt to understand some of the processes going on at a chemical level in the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I'm no expert by any means but I did a bit of reading up on it a few years back after noticing how anxious I was the day after a few drinks. There wouldn't be any harm at all imo in reading up on some of the neurotransmitters involved in anxiety and the things that can affect them if you feel inclined. I found it helpful to attempt to understand some of the processes going on at a chemical level in the brain.
    Totally, also interesting to note that before I suffered depression & anxiety I could enjoy a good session & morn after was just the usual sore head & yucky feeling which disappeared after a paracetamol & a couple o pints of water. Now its a totally different experience & certainly has me thinking about what Im consumming, its just not worth it.

Blog Entries
    Dear posters,

My behaviour on .net has often been childish and selfish and when it came to this (excellent) thread I seemed to hog the attention.

I have changed so much mentally that I feel like "me" again. It took a large dose of antipsychotics and antidepressants but after years of struggle I am doing a lot better.

I used to write stupid Blog posts acting as if my problems were more important than other peoples and for that I apologise.

My Mother died on March 15th 2017 and my best friend died 3rd of May 2017. Obviously I am gutted but I am sincerely grateful that it happened during a time when I was doing so well. If this had happened a few years back I don't think I could have handled it.

So a huge thanks to everyone on this thread for keeping it going!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Dear posters,

My behaviour on .net has often been childish and selfish and when it came to this (excellent) thread I seemed to hog the attention.

I have changed so much mentally that I feel like "me" again. It took a large dose of antipsychotics and antidepressants but after years of struggle I am doing a lot better.

I used to write stupid Blog posts acting as if my problems were more important than other peoples and for that I apologise.

My Mother died on March 15th 2017 and my best friend died 3rd of May 2017. Obviously I am gutted but I am sincerely grateful that it happened during a time when I was doing so well. If this had happened a few years back I don't think I could have handled it.

Andy
    Glad you are in a better place mate, no need to apologise for anything, we all deal with our issues in different ways. Glad this thread has helped you as it has really helped me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Dear posters,

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Glad you are in a better place mate, no need to apologise for anything, we all deal with our issues in different ways. Glad this thread has helped you as it has really helped me too.
    I echo the sentiments of wpj, hopefully its all up from here for you Andy. Agreed that even just reading this thread has helped me through some of my lowest moments. The advice and support given my posters on here is fantastic.

Hyperventilation is the thing that gets to me the most, drains me. It used to be the anxiety that sparked the hyperventilating now it's the opposite way about, it comes from no where and has the ability to ruin my whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Hyperventilation is the thing that gets to me the most, drains me. It used to be the anxiety that sparked the hyperventilating now it's the opposite way about, it comes from no where and has the ability to ruin my whole day.
    I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I can find myself manually breathing which causes me to feel physically symptoms which trigger and intensify anxiety. I'm sure you've heard it before but I try to slowly take a few deep breaths only expanding my tummy rather than my chest which I find helps a lot. There's a lot of great breathing tips and exercises available online which are really helpful. Of course, it's easier said than done.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    https://www.google.de/amp/www.indepe...781.html%3famp

I first saw this on Facebook and some of the comments are absolutely atrocious. People can be such utter ****s.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post

I first saw this on Facebook and some of the comments are absolutely atrocious. People can be such utter ****s.
    I'm not a fan of her music, but that's absolutely heartbreaking to watch. I truly hope someone can get to her and intervene, as it's very clear she's not in a good place at all.

As for the comments on the article, nothing really surprises me about the low condition of human beings anymore. There's some truly cancerous masses that walk amongst society.

When Chester Bennington killed himself after years of mental health problems, some of the response and vitriol from not just trolls on the internet but musicians he'd played alongside in the past, was absolutely sickening.

Hope all of the posters on this thread are doing well just now, as it's been a while since anyone posted anything
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Now that this thread has been updated once again I'm going to say its the best thread theres ever been on .net. Its not my thing but, I feel it would be inspirational if it was fed to a wider audience, whether its related charities, fbook or twitter or other fans sites its a very important and impressive thread.

I think a lot of it is still as a result of ignorance. That's a possible explanation not excusing btw.

A lot of it seems to be the usual 'what does she have to be depressed about?' or 'other people with her condition still work so why can't she?' It's like saying some people with a heart condition still work and cope so why can't everyone. If nothing else it shows there's still plenty work to do to remove the stigma of mental health and raise awareness.

I hope Sinead O'Connor gets the help and support she deperately needs. She's not someone I always agree with but she's generally passionate and worth listening to.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Sinead is a mouthy woman with strong left wing beliefs. The favourite target of your standard misogynist online troll so its hardly surprising a few of them have come out of the woodwork to feed. The best thing is to filter out the ***** and concentrate on the (still majority) supportive things that have been written instead. Its a hard thing to do when Sinead, or just the person reading about her online, has negative thoughts, admittedly. Its easy to think nobody understands, when in fact theres a lot more empathy and understanding out there than there used to be.

In terms of her music, THAT song is spellbinding in my opinion, one of the best cover versions of all time.

I'm sick of it to be honest. I tired. Tired that whenever I'm in a good place my bipolar ****s me up. Tired of fighting it day in day out. I'm right at the start of an episode and the only thing I think about is how ****ing tired I am of this ****. Wish I could just go to sleep and wake up when it's past. But Cannae sleep. Pissing people off with my **** it attitude and seem to be looking for an arguement. It's so tiring. For them, for me, for everyone. It's pish.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    I'm sick of it to be honest. I tired. Tired that whenever I'm in a good place my bipolar ****s me up. Tired of fighting it day in day out. I'm right at the start of an episode and the only thing I think about is how ****ing tired I am of this ****. Wish I could just go to sleep and wake up when it's past. But Cannae sleep. Pissing people off with my **** it attitude and seem to be looking for an arguement. It's so tiring. For them, for me, for everyone. It's pish.
    Not sure if this will help.

I used to "fight" my depression. Did everything I could to stave off what, in hindsight, was inevitable. All that achieved was a longer and deeper depression, with a feeling of failure that I'd not been able to "beat" it.

That pattern continued for years, and then I developed a new approach. When an episode was on its way, I didn't run away. I let it happen. Just gave in to it, whilst using little management tools to help avoid its worst effects.

The result is that my episodes are shorter, and less intense, and I have a greater feeling of control. In short, i treat my condition as a friend, rather than an enemy .

It isn't a cure, but it's the most effective tool I've got to reduce the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Not sure if this will help.

I used to "fight" my depression. Did everything I could to stave off what, in hindsight, was inevitable. All that achieved was a longer and deeper depression, with a feeling of failure that I'd not been able to "beat" it.

That pattern continued for years, and then I developed a new approach. When an episode was on its way, I didn't run away. I let it happen. Just gave in to it, whilst using little management tools to help avoid its worst effects.

The result is that my episodes are shorter, and less intense, and I have a greater feeling of control. In short, i treat my condition as a friend, rather than an enemy .

It isn't a cure, but it's the most effective tool I've got to reduce the pain.

i get what you mean Crops. I just feel every day is a battle and I'm probably scared to give in to it. Scared what happens if I didn't do what I do just now. But as I said in my previous post it's just exhausting. Been sitting up since 3 this morning with a million things going through my head. Meant to be working at 8am but it's gonna impact on that too which then then makes me feel worse as I need my work to keep my mind off it. I'm rambling and apologise if I'm not making much sense. Wish I could just sleep till it was over.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Just on the subject of anxiety's link with alcohol for a moment, there is a lot of information out there including this fairly basic text from Drinkaware's site:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol...l-and-anxiety/

In general, my understanding is that it's possible that long term use or abuse of alcohol can cause a rewiring of the brain. The body gets used to alcohol dealing with anxious feelings an individual might feel and so when the alcohol is not present it struggles to deal with the anxiety using its own resources. Often this means that people drink to self-medicate their anxiety and so this sets up a vicious cycle of anxiety-alcohol-sobriety-alcohol.

Well done to all on maintaining this excellent thread, good to see.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    i get what you mean Crops. I just feel every day is a battle and I'm probably scared to give in to it. Scared what happens if I didn't do what I do just now. But as I said in my previous post it's just exhausting. Been sitting up since 3 this morning with a million things going through my head. Meant to be working at 8am but it's gonna impact on that too which then then makes me feel worse as I need my work to keep my mind off it. I'm rambling and apologise if I'm not making much sense. Wish I could just sleep till it was over.
    Hope you managed to get through the day OK. Forgiveme for what may seem ignorant, or if it's been covered before. When you begin to feel an 'episode' coming on, does physical exertion do anything to help, ie press ups til you nearly canny breath or lifting weights that are on the verge of too much?

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Hope you managed to get through the day OK. Forgiveme for what may seem ignorant, or if it's been covered before. When you begin to feel an 'episode' coming on, does physical exertion do anything to help, ie press ups til you nearly canny breath or lifting weights that are on the verge of too much?

My routine has worked for me, with varying success, for a long time but the past few months I've had so many episodes. I seem to come out of one episode and straight into the next. It's exhausting. Maybe it's time to think about medication again. I don't know. I'm in a real "**** everything" attitude. I'm angry, irritable and a ****ing nightmare to live with. I'm giving it till Friday and then it's a trip to the doctor. To answer your question, no, not much is working just now and that's not the norm.