Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
(Disclaimer - I don't know what I'm talking about, so take this advice with caution).

His concerns are in many ways reasonable. Someone should be able to answer his questions with some knowledge, I cannot.

The problem is that there MIGHT be news that he doesn't like. How able is he to accept that right now? Having been in a bad place, having done what he has done, the last thing he might need is for it to seem like his problems are escalating by his policies being affected (they may or may not be).

I would be speaking to whichever health professionals you are in contact with about the fact that he has these concerns. He is effectively escalating problems (reasonably or otherwise) in his own head, which isn't a good thing, and I think you need to take serious professional advice on what you can and can't/ should and shouldn't say to him.

I know it sounds simple and dismissive, but his full focus needs to be on getting better - he has been/ still may well be, seriously mentally ill. People can recover from mental illnesses, so even if for example he is not allowed to drive for now, if he gets better he should be allowed to drive in future. I would be very surprised if a suicide attempt meant a permanent ban from driving.

What he is describing sounds to me like a "fear of catastrophe" - that his actions might bring about a disproportionately large reaction - I think the escalation of a suicide attempt to possibly being denied insurance as he is a risk of burning the house down is an over-escalation. I think that thinking he may be permanently be banned from driving is probably an over-escalation.

I have no basis in fact for this, but I suspect certain insurance premiums may go up. No big deal. Collectively you may have to choose a luxury somewhere that you have to do without in order to pay these premiums - as I say, in the grand scheme of things, unimportant. What IS important is that you still have your Dad, and what is most important is his recovery.

Again I have no basis for this - he may not be allowed to drive for a while. No big deal. He may have to make slightly different travel arrangements until he recovers, then he'll be fine again.

I must stress though - I think this escalation of matters in his head is a symptom, is a warning sign and I would urge you to speak to a health professional asap to get proper advice from someone who knows what they are talking about (I do not).
I’m not sure you’re right on this one mate. I’m pretty sure there’s no questions around mental health when insuring a car. I think it would be up to a medical professional to decide whether you unfit to drive. Unless your doctor has specifically told you not to drive, then any insurance company won’t ask you otherwise.