hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 126 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went to see Victorian Trout Conspiracy at the Annex last Thursday, great band and pumping gig, but they did a number half way through the set, I'm sure they said Matt Done was in the audience and started a song about him. Was anyone else there to confirm or deny this? I had had a few pints by the time it happened but my mate was there and heard the same thing

Also, anyone else going to download this year?
    haha, the trumpet/keys player used to be in my band, not many folk like him about. And also my cousin Matt Dunn jams with them, that's who would have got a shout out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse comes ever closer

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    Awesome gig. Surrey Union is pretty small so it was a brilliant, intimate atmosphere with a lively crowd. Support by both Polar and Fly This For Me who were also decent.

FFAF are playing again in the centre of Guildford tonight but I have plans or I'd go see them again.
    My best mate went to the University of Surrey, had a few good nights in the union! Always had gigs on, great place. Another friend used to do DIY punk/hardcore shows nearby too, dont remember those much!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post
    How were Chvrches?
    Absolutely brilliant. Really looking forward to their album in the Autumn. The Twilight Sad were super the following night too.

Gutted that I'm not going to Brew at the Bog next Saturday so think I'll go to the Big Beach Ball, mainly just for the Jetpacks.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Absolutely brilliant. Really looking forward to their album in the Autumn. The Twilight Sad were super the following night too.

Gutted that I'm not going to Brew at the Bog next Saturday so think I'll go to the Big Beach Ball, mainly just for the Jetpacks.
    My mate runs Snafu and Athenium who are puting on Big Beach Balll. (He's a Hibby too) Tickets are apparently selling well. If you go, make sure to see Little Kicks. They're superb!

Gamer IDs

My mate runs Snafu and Athenium who are puting on Big Beach Balll. (He's a Hibby too) Tickets are apparently selling well. If you go, make sure to see Little Kicks. They're superb!
    Of course, I've seen them loads of times and still get Steven in to do acoustic sets in the bar quite often. Still a bit gutted that he stopped doing regular DHC nights, was just about the only time I'd be glad to venture into a nightclub!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    My best mate went to the University of Surrey, had a few good nights in the union! Always had gigs on, great place. Another friend used to do DIY punk/hardcore shows nearby too, dont remember those much!
    It's amazing to be honest - we had FFAF this week, We Are The Ocean are playing next weekend and Kids In Glass Houses, Mallory Knox and Bring Me The Horizon are all set to play here later in the year!

There are a few venues in the town which have regular rock nights and again, host many live acts throughout the year.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Of course, I've seen them loads of times and still get Steven in to do acoustic sets in the bar quite often. Still a bit gutted that he stopped doing regular DHC nights, was just about the only time I'd be glad to venture into a nightclub!
    Steven worked for me at the old Warehouse. Really good guy! Which bar do you work at?

Gamer IDs

Steven worked for me at the old Warehouse. Really good guy! Which bar do you work at?
    Yeah sound as! I'm a BrewDog guy myself.

Public Service Broadcasting at the Caves, F***ed Up in Glasgow and Art Brut at the Electric Circus!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Public Service Broadcasting at the Caves, F***ed Up in Glasgow and Art Brut at the Electric Circus!
    PSB at the Caves will be amazing. I'm seeing them at the Lemon Tree - they were amazing last time up here. F'd up are great too but won't make that; however my holidays are already in for Art Brut. Eddie Argos is a legend and j can't recall them playing Edinburgh since I saw them at The Hive of all places in what must have been 2008!

[QUOTE=Calvin;3581482]PSB at the Caves will be amazing. I'm seeing them at the Lemon Tree - they were amazing last time up here. F'd up are great too but won't make that; however my holidays are already in for Art Brut. Eddie Argos is a legend and j can't recall them playing Edinburgh since I saw them at The Hive of all places in what must have been 2008![/QUOT
    Hive was the last time they played Edinburgh. It's a shame that the same night Kid Canavarel are playing with ballboy. Saw PSB last time, they were brilliant and I'm really looking forward to F***ed Up, David Comes To Life is a fantastic album.

Gamer IDs

It's a shame that the same night Kid Canavarel are playing with ballboy.
    Just noticed that, gutted - Ballboy are one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Kid View Post
    haha, the trumpet/keys player used to be in my band, not many folk like him about. And also my cousin Matt Dunn jams with them, that's who would have got a shout out.
    Went to see Victorian trout conspiracy on Saturday, the trumpet player is mental!

What a night, never skanked like that before.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    A busy week. Saw Dirty Beaches at Nice n Sleazy on Tuesday, his first visit to Scotland and it was blistering. Really recommend checking him out if you have not done so yet. Clashed with The Fall at ABC and Public Service Broadcasting at Caves, but I think we made the right call.
    Specials tonight at The Barrowlands. No Neville Staples this time, and no Jerry Dammers, but it should still be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    A busy week. Saw Dirty Beaches at Nice n Sleazy on Tuesday, his first visit to Scotland and it was blistering. Really recommend checking him out if you have not done so yet. Clashed with The Fall at ABC and Public Service Broadcasting at Caves, but I think we made the right call.
    Specials tonight at The Barrowlands. No Neville Staples this time, and no Jerry Dammers, but it should still be a good one.
    I was at the PBS gig at the Caves and it was a bit disappointing. It wasn't the best venue for them and the sound was poor. They were a lot better when I first saw them at the Voodoo Rooms.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ORAMAGE95
    Don't know if anyone would like them but Bombay Bicycle Club are playing at the HMV Picture House on Friday 7th June. Decent band in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar

The Underground Jam - The Jam tribute band

If anyone is in the Dundee area on Saturday night then The Underground Jam are well worth a look. They are at Beatgenerator Live.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    If anyone is in the Dundee area on Saturday night then The Underground Jam are well worth a look. They are at Beatgenerator Live.
    Where the hell is that? I lived in Dundee for 8 years and I've never heard of that place.

Funeral for a Friend return to Guildford in June - 3rd time seeing them in Guildford in the space of 2 months!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

Going to see Savages tomorrow night and The XX on Saturday. Should both be interesting to see live.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Where the hell is that? I lived in Dundee for 8 years and I've never heard of that place.

Funeral for a Friend return to Guildford in June - 3rd time seeing them in Guildford in the space of 2 months!
    Just around the corner from Fat Sam's and next to Clarke's Bar

Next up for me is Depeche at the 02 in London. 2 nights, Tuesday & Wednesay after the cup final. Hopefully I'll be so blootered from the victory parade the night before it'll be touch and go if I make the flight!

After a triumphant start to the tour in front of 50,000 in Tel Aviv and 40,000 in Athens last week, it'll be good to see them in an indoor venue again, even if it is still huge.

'S' Form
    Next up for me is Depeche at the 02 in London. 2 nights, Tuesday & Wednesay after the cup final. Hopefully I'll be so blootered from the victory parade the night before it'll be touch and go if I make the flight!

After a triumphant start to the tour in front of 50,000 in Tel Aviv and 40,000 in Athens last week, it'll be good to see them in an indoor venue again, even if it is still huge.
    How were the DM gigs? Any particular highlights? Good luck getting your flights to London, I'm going to see them in Munich on the Saturday after the final and if we win I don't fancy my changes of making my flight :-)

Quote Originally Posted by leith62 View Post
    How were the DM gigs? Any particular highlights? Good luck getting your flights to London, I'm going to see them in Munich on the Saturday after the final and if we win I don't fancy my changes of making my flight :-)
    They were on really good form. Dave in particular was in very high jinx. In Athens he was even signing autographs from the stage, not like him at all. Set list follows the usual format but with 2 or 3 real suprises and a few great remix versions of old favourites.

The venue in Athens was a complete joke though. 40,000 punters entered the park, which is an hours drive from Athens, through one tiny entrance about the size of a double door. I genuinely felt that a major disaster was very close.

Enjoy Munich, you can't beat Depeche in Germany!

By the way, if you're going to the Glasgow gig in November, get along to Classic Grand after the show.

Gladgow Party.jpg

Going to see Savages tomorrow night and The XX on Saturday. Should both be interesting to see live.
    It's a great album, annoyed I missed them this time. Going to see Bleached at the Art School on Tuesday!

Gamer IDs

It's a great album, annoyed I missed them this time.
    They were good live, great tempo to them. Not sold on the Berlin crowds though!

However the XX yesterday were just super.

Don't think that I have another gig planned now until Glastonbury now :(

I'm praying that Morrissey will do another British tour next year. I was gutted that I was working last July when he was in Edinburgh.

This year I'm treating myself to Download! Anyone know if there are buses going from Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Who?

Absolutely awesome live band

I've just been given a couple of tickets for the Slam Dunk festival at the University of Leeds for this coming May and I'm really looking forward to it - not quite as good a lineup as last year so far but a large number of bands still to be announced. Loved that so many bands I love played such an intimate festival, which really is targeted at quite a niche market in all honesty.

Also have Finch, with support from Mallory Knox at Brixton Academy next month which I'm really looking forward to
    Pierce the Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, Memphis May Fire, Tek-One, Yashin and the word alive. Pretty sweet line up.

Just back from seeing sleeping with sirens last light and bring me the horizon a few weeks back.

Blog Entries
    1-6: Pastels - Glasgow CCA
    8-6: Camera Obscura - Newcastle Uni
    10-6: Neil Young - Newcastle Arena
    20-6: Trembling Bells - Newcastle Morden Tower

looks a damn fine month to me....