hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    we were literally milliseconds away from Adam Le Fondre im told.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Heard a rumour that we had a young Norwegian on trial named Ole Gunner Solskaer who was deemed to small by the management.

Another player who wasn't as big a name as those mentioned but would of been a class player was Jamie Cureton, he was a goal machine wherever he was! Think we tried to get him a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Were we not offered a young David Trezeguet on loan but we preffered lee power
    This has all the hallmarks of an Urban Myth.

Lee Power came around March 1997. Trezeguet had five caps and five goals for the French U-21 team that year and played for the full French team the following season. He was playing regularly in the Monaco first team by then and scoring goals. He scored in the Champions' League in November 1997 against Sporting and later in that season at Old Trafford, four in nine CL matches..

Why would the French champions want to loan out a player to Scotland who was on the verge of an international cap?

I don't believe a word of it.

We could have had Jim Baxter for £5000, which wasn't a huge amount even then,during his first season at Raith.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This has all the hallmarks of an Urban Myth.

Lee Power came around March 1997. Trezeguet had five caps and five goals for the French U-21 team that year and played for the full French team the following season. He was playing regularly in the Monaco first team by then and scoring goals. He scored in the Champions' League in November 1997 against Sporting and later in that season at Old Trafford, four in nine CL matches..

Why would the French champions want to loan out a player to Scotland who was on the verge of an international cap?

I don't believe a word of it.
    There's definitely truth in it (though Lee Power had nothing to do with anything!).

About 4-5 years ago there was a similar thread on here and there was a link to a story about the Trezeguet thing. I can't remember all the ins and outs, but it outlined clearly the people involved (and how they knew each other) and the reasons why a loan deal was being thought about. IIRC it simply didn't come to anything, but there was no sinister reason for this.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

Went to Villa instead. Think we had a real interest in Ronny Rosenthal before he signed for Liverpool too.
    Scored against the Huns in a closed door friendly when on trial.

The genius that was Colin Calderwood was told of a 17 year old lad who'd left Ross County to join Liverpool, hadn't settled and had returned north and was playing for Airdrie. CC looked and decided no. The lads name is Gary Mackay-Steven
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    The genius that was Colin Calderwood was told of a 17 year old lad who'd left Ross County to join Liverpool, hadn't settled and had returned north and was playing for Airdrie. CC looked and decided no. The lads name is Gary Mackay-Steven
    Just when you think your anger towards Calderwood is starting to subside....................
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Think Miller wanted to sign David Platt, IIRC.

Yep. He went down to Rotherham to watch Platt playing for Crewe in a Div4 game, but Gareth Evans on that night outshone Platt and the £100,000 intended for Crewe went to Rotherham.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Just when you think your anger towards Calderwood is starting to subside....................
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by killie-hibby View Post
    Yep. He went down to Rotherham to watch Platt playing for Crewe in a Div4 game, but Gareth Evans on that night outshone Platt and the £100,000 intended for Crewe went to Rotherham.
    I rather suspect this is yet another urban myth.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent! God Petrie's Avatar
    Williamson was offered Benayoun but turned him down.

First Team Regular
    Miller went down to Rotherham with the intention of signing Platt but opted for Evans. Its factual, not mythical.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pames McJake View Post
    Williamson was offered Benayoun but turned him down.
    Source?
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Miller went down to Rotherham with the intention of signing Platt but opted for Evans. Its factual, not mythical.
    Miller watched Platt a number of times. One such time was in a game against Rotherham. Miller liked what he saw in Evans and when the Platt deal failed he spent the dosh on Evans instead. Not quite how you first explained it - Evans being better than Platt in a game which implied that Miller took Evans in preference to Platt.

In any event, Platt would probably have bombed in the heady heights of Scottish football
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Not how i remember it. I may be wrong but i seem to remember this being another case of Miller not spending more than he thought a player was worth. I thought we did actually talk money for Platt but it was too much for AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Source?
    It was actually Benny Broon from Craigmillar.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We had a pretty good chance of signing Allan McGreggor just after he was brought back from a loan spell at Dunfermilne then dumped on the bench by Paul Le Guen. Apparently Tony Mowbray preferred Zibi.

Obviously using McGreggor and class in the same sentence is ridiculous but he is a very good keeper.
    Yip, it was a done deal apparently, but Mowbray said we didn't need him.

First Team Regular
    Miller watched Platt a number of times. One such time was in a game against Rotherham. Miller liked what he saw in Evans and when the Platt deal failed he spent the dosh on Evans instead. Not quite how you first explained it - Evans being better than Platt in a game which implied that Miller took Evans in preference to Platt.

In any event, Platt would probably have bombed in the heady heights of Scottish football

My misinformation came from one of which at that time were half decent newspapers, the Daily Record or Daily Mail. I do remember reading the story. I will accept your version as being factual as we are all aware of the guff spouted by the aforementioned papers.

My misinformation came from one of which at that time were half decent newspapers, the Daily Record or Daily Mail. I do remember reading the story. I will accept your version as being factual as we are all aware of the guff spouted by the aforementioned papers.
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Think Miller wanted to sign David Platt, IIRC.

Coronation Street offered him a better deal and the rest is history.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Darren Fletcher
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    There's definitely truth in it (though Lee Power had nothing to do with anything!).

About 4-5 years ago there was a similar thread on here and there was a link to a story about the Trezeguet thing. I can't remember all the ins and outs, but it outlined clearly the people involved (and how they knew each other) and the reasons why a loan deal was being thought about. IIRC it simply didn't come to anything, but there was no sinister reason for this.
    These urban myths always emerge years later. This is rather like the 'swop Bobby Mann for Derek Riordan and Steven Whittakar' nonsense. Yes it was all over here around ten years after the event but not at the time. This is why I do not believe a word.

The Trezuguet rumour never appeared anywhere in the Scottish or French press 1997 or 1998. I used to buy France Football every week in the mid to late 1990s and never saw anything there. It was never flagged up on any of the discussion boards (or email lists back then).

Produce news reports from 1997 or bI will continue to not believe.

These urban myths always emerge years later. This is rather like the 'swop Bobby Mann for Derek Riordan and Steven Whittakar' nonsense. Yes it was all over here around ten years after the event but not at the time. This is why I do not believe a word.

The Trezuguet rumour never appeared anywhere in the Scottish or French press 1997 or 1998. I used to buy France Football every week in the mid to late 1990s and never saw anything there. It was never flagged up on any of the discussion boards (or email lists back then).

You believe what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellbankhibby View Post
    Im just reading the Biography of Billy Bremner and in the first few chapters he states that he wanted to leave leeds to sign for Hibs as he was home sick. Hibs offerred a fee i think 25000 Leeds wanted 30000 so for 5000 a great player slipped through our fingers AGAIN.
    I have on good authority that they tried to sign me but I was under contract with a outfit at the pits, I can also confirm that I am a legend.... In my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    You believe what you want.
    You obviously can't come up with anything then!

As I suspected.

You obviously can't come up with anything then!

As I suspected.
    As I said, a link was posted at least 5 years ago (I remember where I was living when I read it). I normally take these things with a pinch of salt, but what was written was totally feasible. You can make what you want of all that, but please stop the smart arsed comments which suggest that I'm making stuff up.

@hibs.net private member

I recall speaking to Dougie Crombe about this just around the time he signed for Bari. Between fags Dougie told me that we tried hard to get Platt and had even, tentatively, agreed a fee with Crewe (?) but trying to strike a deal with Platt himself became impossible when Villa came on the scene and DC felt we were being used so that Platt got a better personal deal. Basically whatever we offered Villa offered more. It went on for a wee while till we eventually pulled the plug.

For it to be said that we "lost out" on him is a bit harsh.

html

I can't seem to copy a link on this damned IPad! Google "Celts hell can make you Deek". That is a Sun story where John Robertson confirms the ICT swap offer.