hibs.net Messageboard

Hibs at the Nou Camp

Came across this wee film on YouTube. Not great quality but a little bit of history and a great finish by Joe Baker

This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member AndyB_70's Avatar
    Mountcastle (don't tell anyone I've left Leith)
    Loving the Barca fans enjoying the Hibs goal.

More from the same game although it's bizarrely labelled as something else

This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came across this wee film on YouTube. Not great quality but a little bit of history and a great finish by Joe Baker

What was att at that game? and does the full highlights/match exist anywhere?

Amazing seeing old videos like that. Wonder if any Hibs players these days would score a hat-trick there?

Also as it came up at the end of the video watched highlights of our 3-2 win over Celtic, class!

Wonderful.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

No cameras at the second leg unfortunately.A never to be forgotten game by those of us there.

First Team Breakthrough .SeventyFive's Avatar
    Even in that 45sec clip you could see the fight the team had. Intercepting balls, pressuring - it's no wonder they were such a success back then.

Can someone clarify what is right, it says Baker hat-trick on the video, but on the Hibs website it says he only scored 2?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    No cameras at the second leg unfortunately.A never to be forgotten game by those of us there.
    A real shame that wasn't it AH, cannot understand why there was no cameras there, of course in those days if it wasn't the ugly sisters then it didn't count, I couldn't get to the game as my old man wouldn't give me the ten bob to get in..tried to get a lift over but the polis were everywhere booting young boys bums as they did in those days.

Slightly off topic we as fans missed out on having some kind of footage for those glorious Euro nights due to the cameras not being there, too many too mention I suppose but Sporting Lisbon springs to mind and not forgetting the Real Madrid game...what a bummer..

Maybe they calculate it like they do a "Bakers" dozen and just add one more.

I'll get ma coat!!

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    A real shame that wasn't it AH, cannot understand why there was no cameras there, of course in those days if it wasn't the ugly sisters then it didn't count, I couldn't get to the game as my old man wouldn't give me the ten bob to get in..tried to get a lift over but the polis were everywhere booting young boys bums as they did in those days.

Slightly off topic we as fans missed out on having some kind of footage for those glorious Euro nights due to the cameras not being there, too many too mention I suppose but Sporting Lisbon springs to mind and not forgetting the Real Madrid game...what a bummer..
    You'll find the Real Madrid game on a video==Hibernian FC European Nights.

You'll find the Real Madrid game on a video==Hibernian FC European Nights.
    Cheers!

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Much better than our most recent game..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mtxc1I5-xg&feature=plcp

sorry about this

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Can someone clarify what is right, it says Baker hat-trick on the video, but on the Hibs website it says he only scored 2?
    Video is wrong Fraze. Baler got two and McLeod and Preston the others.

In the home game it was Baker, Preston and Kinloch
    This is how it feels

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Video is wrong Fraze. Baler got two and McLeod and Preston the others.

In the home game it was Baker, Preston and Kinloch

Those vids take me back, John. All very friendly in the Nou Camp, but a lot more fun at the return at ER.

Joe B was chopped three or four times in the second leg, with the ref doing a Craig Thomson every time.

Then at 2-2 and 7 minutes to go one of the Barca players did something even he couldn't ignore (attacked him with a machete if you believed my dad) and we got the penalty we'd been due all night. The Barca boys went mad and started chasing the ref round the pitch, our guys captured the ball and Bobby Kinloch planked it down on the penalty spot and sat on it to wait out the protests, then got up and put it away as nice as you like. The referee and linesmen were chased off the pitch and the Barca players wrecked the away dressingroom, having tried and failed to kick in the door of the officials' room with a view to kicking in the heads of the officials.

I wasn't there, sadly - I had my 11-plus to sit a couple of weeks later, and my mother wouldn't let me go to a match on a school night. The above account is based on the official communique issued by my father when he returned home in a state of euphoria mixed with disbelief around 11.30 that evening.

Oddly enough (and I can give no rational explanation for the phenomenon) when I was regularly at ER during my student days, quite a few of the games I attended had that same surreal out-of-focus blurry quality to them as those Barca films.

I cannae think what could have caused it ....
    Last edited by --------; 18-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post

I think there weren't that many outside broadcast units in the UK before the 1966 world cup - notice the footage from Barcelona appears to be El Movietone news. Also, in those days a British team playing even Barcelona wasn't that big a story compared to the domestic scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinehibby View Post
    Much better than our most recent game..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mtxc1I5-xg&feature=plcp

sorry about this
    I won a fortune that day due to some ridiculously generous odds in Barcelonas favour

Enjoyed the experience despite the hammering. Nice bit of trivia being the first team to play them under Pep Guardiola out of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Those vids take me back, John. All very friendly in the Nou Camp, but a lot more fun at the return at ER.

Joe B was chopped three or four times in the second leg, with the ref doing a Craig Thomson every time.

Then at 2-2 and 7 minutes to go one of the Barca players did something even he couldn't ignore (attacked him with a machete if you believed my dad) and we got the penalty we'd been due all night. The Barca boys went mad and started chasing the ref round the pitch, our guys captured the ball and Bobby Kinloch planked it down on the penalty spot and sat on it to wait out the protests, then got up and put it away as nice as you like. The referee and linesmen were chased off the pitch and the Barca players wrecked the away dressingroom, having tried and failed to kick in the door of the officials' room with a view to kicking in the heads of the officials.

I wasn't there, sadly - I had my 11-plus to sit a couple of weeks later, and my mother wouldn't let me go to a match on a school night. The above account is based on the official communique issued by my father when he returned home in a state of euphoria mixed with disbelief around 11.30 that evening.

Oddly enough (and I can give no rational explanation for the phenomenon) when I was regularly at ER during my student days, quite a few of the games I attended had that same surreal out-of-focus blurry quality to them as those Barca films.

I'm pretty sure they also pushed him to the ground during the onfield shenanigans Doddie and that L&B's finest had to come to his rescue. Contemporary reports suggest the whistler reffed the remainder of the game from just on the pitch near the tunnel and that his final whistle was still blowing as he scarpered down it
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

Spookily accurate account except my recollection is the penalty was given for a foul on Johnny McLeod.In later life Bobby Kinloch played regularly for an office team and missed penalties with monotonous regularity.

Blog Entries
    Cameras were at the game, in fact there was a Scotsport special on. It was film in those days & I believe it had to get through to Glasgow. From memory they showed highlights of the first half then took a break while they processed second half. I believe Jim Hossack made great efforts in later years to retrieve the film but it may have been thrown out when STV moved to their current premises. It would be wonderful if it could be found!