hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fartin army

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by woody47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You really are not seeing the picture are you? Take the green tinted glasses off.

Scotland games are few and far between so are treated as days out. Hibs games are every week for 38 plus games over a 9/10 month period so are not treated as much. If Hibs were to get to semi-finals and cup finals I guarantee you all what I said is true.
    So in answer to your response - YES it is standard to wear green wigs at days out. YES it is standard to see Hibs fans so bladdered they can hardly stand. YES it is standard for Hibs fans to have their faces painted. And the reason for bringing up the fighting amongst themselves it is because THAT is embarassing. Seeing fans supporting the same team fighting amongst themselves is embarassing.
    So again - HAVE A LOOK AT YOURSELF!!!!!
    At the Aberdeen semi I seen none of that, at the final I seen hardly anyone wearing a kilt, or any grown man or woman wearing a wig or with their face painted, in fact I barely seen a child with dressed like that. Also there were not very many fans who were so pished they could barely stand. The Tartan Army are nothing short of a joke.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    First I want to say, what a childish thread title, so that you realise that what follows is not a statement of 100% agreement with the OP.

I consider myself a Scotland fan but have no interest whatsoever in being either in or associated with the self-proclaimed Tartan Army. If dressing up as a caricature Scotsman is their thing, then I'm happy for them to do that. It takes all sorts to make a world and it would be boring if everybody was the same.

At the last Scotland game I attended, I stood in the North Stand. I didn't realise this was the enclave of said Tartan Army and I vowed (for reasons that are my own and I have no wish to enforce on others) to thereafter leave that part of the stadium to them and sit/stand elsewhere.

I am a proud Scotsman, a member of the Scotland Supporters Association but I'm NOT and never will be in the 'Tartan Army'.
    I thought the "tartan army" was just a name for the Scotland support in general - didn't think it was some kind of separate club

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Didn't read much more than about the first 10 posts.

What a ****ing joke. Are people that bored that they have to ridicule the people who enjoy following their country and supporting them vocally? I suppose it would be better if everyone just say down quietly, sipped some tea and did a crossword....breaking every now and again for a golf clap and a whispered word of encouragement to the players.

When you watch any sporting event particularly if it is being televised it's pretty obvious that many of the spectators think that they are the big story not what's going on in frontof them.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post

What a ****ing joke. Are people that bored that they have to ridicule the people who enjoy following their country and supporting them vocally? I suppose it would be better if everyone just say down quietly, sipped some tea and did a crossword....breaking every now and again for a golf clap and a whispered word of encouragement to the players.
    Exactly! Some people can't tell the difference between fishing and being an obnoxious, insulting knobend.

I wear my kilt to every Scotland game that I go to and usually go up town afterwards with my kilt on and have pulled on every occasion without fail - I don't care how cringeworthy or embarrassing it is, it seems to work for a distinctly average lad like me!

Well said. I don't understand why the default position of so many is to sneer at those who refuse to let going to the Fitba be a totally joyless experience. People are allowed to enjoy themselves. Despite the nonsensical Shankly quote it is still only a game.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Hibee View Post
    I wear my kilt to every Scotland game that I go to and usually go up town afterwards with my kilt on and have pulled on every occasion without fail - I don't care how cringeworthy or embarrassing it is, it seems to work for a distinctly average lad like me!
    LAD
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    Just out of interest what is your issue with Kilt's ? is it just at football or everyday life ? are they ok at weddings or not ?
    Weddings are fine mate, that's were I think they should stay. Not fat grown men smashed wearing them at games to show how "Super Scottish" they are. I'll prob get peters for that but that's just me. I would never tell anyone what to wear either, it's there choice. Folk keep asking why do it embarrass me.. Well like I say, guys hammered spouting pish and wearing a kilt just makes us Scots look idiots.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    What's everyone's opinions on the Dutch fans?

Let's all be boring colourless gits.
    Hibernian Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Weddings are fine mate, that's were I think they should stay. Not fat grown men smashed wearing them at games to show how "Super Scottish" they are. I'll prob get peters for that but that's just me. I would never tell anyone what to wear either, it's there choice. Folk keep asking why do it embarrass me.. Well like I say, guys hammered spouting pish and wearing a kilt just makes us Scots look idiots.
    Nah, hammered and spouting pish makes you look like a idiot, wearing a kilt on top makes you look like a Scottish idiot. Herein lies the problem I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    I absolutely hate it when people make judgements on other folks and build their opinions on others based on what clothes they wear.
    How can you be embarrassed by what OTHERS wear?
    I certainly don't judge. Because someone is wearing a kilt does not mean I'll take a dislike to them that's for sure. Many of my friends wear them to games. Jeezo I thought this was a board for opinions? I've explained why I don't like them at games.

and what do you believe the actual linkage between the kilt & being Scottish is? Its a bit of a myth tbh, William Wallace wore trousers.

Quote Originally Posted by West Upper Pie View Post
    and what do you believe the actual linkage between the kilt & being Scottish is? Its a bit of a myth tbh, William Wallace wore trousers.
    And that's why he never pulled up town!!

Gamer IDs

I've never met anyone who thought that a drunken Scot in a kilt was anything other than someone having some fun. I've never heard them referred to categorically as idiots. That's not to say you don't get idiots who are both Scottish and wearing a kilt but one plus the other does not make a man an idiot. Making sweeping generalisations does though.

Is there no middle ground between being a drunken, slavering idiot (Scottish or otherwise) and a tea sipping, crossword completing bore?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    Nah, hammered and spouting pish makes you look like a idiot, wearing a kilt on top makes you look like a Scottish idiot. Herein lies the problem I think.
    Haha fair point mate.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    i only ask as I'm a regular Kilt wearer, Weddings, nights out, Gigs, festivals, any other day where smart dress is required (I'm really not a dress trousers and shoes guy) Also when Hibs go on Tour. I am also a Fat, Bald, Bearded, Heavily tattooed And quite often smashed, i have 5 Different Kilts Classic and modern and can't say i have ever felt embarrassed, In general i get nothing but compliments on Them certainly the Modern ones and if i worked somewhere that i could wear a kilt i would have more and they would be daily attire for me
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Is there no middle ground between being a drunken, slavering idiot (Scottish or otherwise) and a tea sipping, crossword completing bore?
    I'm sure there is. But since one extreme was given I countered with the other.

i only ask as I'm a regular Kilt wearer, Weddings, nights out, Gigs, festivals, any other day where smart dress is required (I'm really not a dress trousers and shoes guy) Also when Hibs go on Tour. I am also a Fat, Bald, Bearded, Heavily tattooed And quite often smashed, i have 5 Different Kilts Classic and modern and can't say i have ever felt embarrassed, In general i get nothing but compliments on Them certainly the Modern ones and if i worked somewhere that i could wear a kilt i would have more and they would be daily attire for me
    Fair play mate, like I said I wasn't having a go it was my general prefferance. Interesting to read someone like yourself wearing one when you can and fully enjoying it as often as you can. Maybe I have been a bit harsh but I still stand by my point I just don't like them at games. Prob cos the folk I've seen have been the ones shouting pish and think they are the ubber fan. Believe me there are a few out there. Not for a min saying you are like that mate, seems you just enjoy it.

Where e'er ye may be, let yer baws swing free.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt & Sauzee View Post
    At the Aberdeen semi I seen none of that, at the final I seen hardly anyone wearing a kilt, or any grown man or woman wearing a wig or with their face painted, in fact I barely seen a child with dressed like that. Also there were not very many fans who were so pished they could barely stand. The Tartan Army are nothing short of a joke.
    At the final I saw all of these things in the east stand. In fact one of the boys that was too pished to stand was wearing a kilt and glengarry so to be fair he may have got his dates mixed up ;-)

(Shall not mention that the Kilt is actually a Norwegian thing they brought over and shall slyly walk away from this thread...)

It's interesting, but a lot of people on this thread have made comparisons between supporting club and country. I dunno, but for quite a while now it seems as if many of the people who follow the Tartan Army don't seem to follow any particular club team. Also a lot of them seem to come from Perthshire and the highlands for some reason, where there aren't many football teams anyway. How people dress to a football match is totally up to them, what they sing is totally up to them too and I have no problem with that either, but one or 2 folk at my work were saying the day before the game that there might not be a full house at the Serbia game because of Rangers fans boycotting the SFA stuff. I'm not in any way critisizing Scotland fans, it's great to support the country at any time, just don't think that a lot of the time Scottish club football fans don't care enough about the national team at this present time, probably mostly due to who the manager is.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    And that's why he never pulled up town!!
    He did get his Nat King off that French lassie though.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMike View Post
    (Shall not mention that the Kilt is actually a Norwegian thing they brought over and shall slyly walk away from this thread...)

Sort of like a footballer who was born in another country but has lived most of his life in Scotland? Or am I getting mixed up with another thread?

@hibs.net private member
    IMHO this is a thread that's better left alone but seeing as I've been for a couple of pints, what the Hell. I've never worn a kilt in my puff (legs too skinny and veiny) but I stand by the right of others to do so.
    I've done a couple of Wembleys (inc. the goal posts one in '77) and many Hampden games in the 60's and 70's but, if I'm honest, I wouldn't cross the street to watch the national side right now. I'm 100% behind the Hibs in a footballing sense, but that's it. Maybe if the national side ever get someone in charge who knows what he's doing, it might change but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    However, the Tartan Army have been superb ambassadors for Scotland for a good number of years now and their non-involvement in the next world cup would be a crying shame. Good on ya guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's possible encompass both states, and everything in between, depending on one's particular mood. Pretty much sums up my match day experience tbh.

First Team Breakthrough Postman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt & Sauzee View Post
    Not sure where all the grown men wearing wigs, with painted faces or who could hardly stand cause they were so drunk were yesterday because none of them were anywhere near me!

The nonsense you spout is nothing short of a joke!

Ye gods ... what a boring world it would be if we all conformed to the OPs opinion of the Tartan Army.

I for one dont like the term, because for some reason it appears to have been hijacked by the Scotland regulars, whereas it had always been a catch all term to describe the Scotland support in general.

Who cares if the Scotland fans dress up in kilts or funny hats or whatever ... it adds a bit of colour to the crowd and I for one cant see the harm in that. Mind you .. some countries take it too far ... like these daft Brazilians with their stupid Samba music and beautiful girls going about half dressed in and around the stadiums at World Cups ... what a cliche' that is ... do away with it I say!

As for some Scotland fans not knowing a lot about football ..... so what ... hell after 30 odd years of watching football I still cant look at a match after 5 minutes and say what formation a team is playing and its a fact that I dont know the names of half the players in the teams Hibs play against ... but who cares .... I still enjoy the match.

The Scotland support over the last 20 years or more have managed to get themselves a reputation for being out for a laugh and being able to get on with supporters of the countries we play against ... how can that not be a good thing. Hell I have followed Hibs down to Bolton, Carlisle and Blackpool over the last few years because I knew it would be a laugh and I would have a good time. Not because I was that bothered about the result. Hell I even had a few pints before the game as well. Its a huge part of my enjoyment of football as I'm sure it is for a lot of football fans.

The only thing I would say against the Scotland away regulars is that it does seem that a number of them dont seem to be that bothered about supporting the domestic game and that does bother me. I would suggest that there should be a system in place where folk who buy season tickets for their domestic clubs, get first dibs on international tickets.

I would love to follow Scotland to a Euro championships, but coz I'm not in the Scotland travel club I would have a job getting a ticket for the matches .... not fair IMO.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Some drivel on this thread. All sorts of people go to Scotland games. In our group of 6 their were 3 Hibs ST holders, one of whom goes to EVERY Hibs game. There were also 2 Jambos and 1 guy who by his own admission isn't much of a football fan but was along for the day out. Four of us wore jeans, two wore a kilt and 3 had Scotland related tops. Can the enlightened ones who post on here care to explain who the eejits were (obviously the jambos ) what sort of clothing is appropriate for a Scotland game and who were the real fans I had a great day out although the game itself was deadly dull.

Like Hibs fans follow Hibs through thick and thin, tens of thousands do the same with Scotland. If you don't like it don't watch and don't go.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire