hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fartin army

just dont understand this post......people enjoying themselves aye cos thats cringe worthy and going to ER and singing about a dead guy and paedos isnt?
    never been a tartan army person and havnt been to a scotland game for a number of years but atleast they are enjoying themselves and trying to get behind their team

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My experiences with the Tartan Army had generally been poor, most of the guys I knew seemed to know hee haw about football and care not a jot about the result, it was all about the bevvy and having a laugh.

Nothing wrong with that in itself but its not really my scene. You absolutely can't fault the loyalty of these guys though, they must spend a fortune watching a piss poor product and they deserve credit for that.

Those feathers in army hats annoy the **** out of me for some reason though!!!
    The feathers in the hats are supposed to be cock feathers in the glengarry it does annoy the tits of me as well tho

I saw plenty of hibs fans in kilts at the cup final in may. Must have been tossers. Oh and some people with their faces painted green and white...obviously sad people trying to dress up. Talk about double-standards!

Some folk need to get a grip. International football doesn't happen as often as club football, so I don't know why people are surprised that there is a more 'special day out, dress-up, have a good time' sort of atmosphere. We have a dedicated singing section at Easter Road - so who are we to start calling other people sad for singing songs and trying to get behind the team?

Of course there are going to be idiots in the tartan army, but not more than any other international support or indeed the hibs support. Nothing embarrassing about it!

First Team Breakthrough Postman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt & Sauzee View Post
    I don't go to any international games, shouting 'w**ker' on top of 'Flower of Scotland' is one reason. When did that even become acceptable? It seems a very stupid thing to do, for me the song is passionate and when thousands shout that word out it's ridiculous.

The attitude of some Tartan Army members (or whatever their supporters club is called) is quite petty. I was working in the bar tonight and when they came back through to Edinburgh the different groups were all chatting away then started arguing about who had travelled the most miles to see Scotland and saying 'aye I've got a ticket for Wales, do you? I bet you don't' or 'I went all the way to the States for the game this summer' as if they were trying to outdo other fans, and it's not the first time I've seen that before.

Also I seen someone else said that they know hee haw about football, some of them actually don't. A group of guys refused to believe me that Belgium are a much better team than Scotland and have a starting line up which costs over £100 million, I think that sums it up for a minority of them.

Other reasons I don't like going include; tickets are too expensive, travel time is too much, Scotland play some of the worst football I've seen from a national side, Levein, I don't feel overly patriotic, some fans are complete nuggets, not emotionally attached to the side, most players are nuggets and international football is a waste of time. That's all I can think of just now.
    You must find it very difficult going to Easter Road as well then! If you find it unacceptable to hear anti-English comments at Scotland games, the likes of the Wallace Mercer and paedo songs must have you turning your back on Hibs and the fans?

Who cares what knowledge the fans have about of opposition players, I was at the Serbia game yesterday and hadn't heard of a good few of the starting line up yet don't think of myself as someone who knows 'hee haw' about football! Should I read up about all of the Macedonia players before the midweek game or not bother going? I'll admit there are loads of players I know little about in the SPL, should I just return my season ticket because I don't know enough?

Its just as well SPL is so cheap then yeah? And its great that we hand pick the fans who go to Easter Road and reject any 'nuggets'!
    Last edited by Postman; 09-09-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenSQH View Post
    I blame Craig levein.
    That's it for me just now.

I used to think Scotland was the national equivalent of Hibs, win a few lose a few, qualify for things and heroically crash out.

There used to be connections, even if good Hibbies were overlooked for inferior OF players. Now its lower division English players and a national debut for a Scottish 3rd division player. Its a national embarrassment.

If I hadn't caught the News in the car yesterday when the match finished I still wouldn't know the score now.

The SFA have overseen the gradual decline of the game in Scotland over recent decades; Potter is the depths they have now crash dived to at a national level.

Good luck to those who follow them, I'm sure there must be better ways to waste money.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.sct View Post
    What a bunch of tossers the (majority of) tartan army are. This was my first international since 1985 and was surrounded by student types attempting to live up to the hype (singing the deplorable doe a deer etc.). Worse than that the fat over 40's who want everybody to JOIN in...... attempting to dance with stewards and generally attempting to force comedy like a boring uncle at New Year. Absolute cringe worthy. Decent atmosphere at times today but my son (attending his first international) summed it up when he said "it's ok but would rather watch the Hibs".
    Lighten up and away and have a word with yerself.

This has to be the worst thread of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    i was there. First Scotland game at Hampden. Not for me.

Grown men in funny hats, wearing kilts and singing nonsense songs. Lot of rubbish. The Tartan Army ain't for me. Wee bit embarassing.
    What were the nonsense songs being sung? Did you have a problem with Hibs fans who wore kilts to the cup final in May??

I've no interest at all in the tartan army or all the kilt wearing feather in the hat stuff. I find it embarrassing if I'm honest. I was asked by a Dutch guy couple years back, "why do you guys take the p!ss out yourselves wearing those ginger hats and Kilts?" It actually had me thinking. I've nothing really against these guys, but I do think it's played out in this day and age. Late 70's early 80's yes. Now? Not for me. I'd rather go in jeans and a normal top still sing along and cheer them but minus the stupid ginger/feather caps and Kilts.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    And as for these guys who wear Hibs tartan kilts to social occasions and EVEN have the audacity to purchase Hibs tartan scarves then there's just no hope. It's a hanging offence without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I've no interest at all in the tartan army or all the kilt wearing feather in the hat stuff. I find it embarrassing if I'm honest. I was asked by a Dutch guy couple years back, "why do you guys take the p!ss out yourselves wearing those ginger hats and Kilts?" It actually had me thinking. I've nothing really against these guys, but I do think it's played out in this day and age. Late 70's early 80's yes. Now? Not for me. I'd rather go in jeans and a normal top still sing along and cheer them but minus the stupid ginger/feather caps and Kilts.
    That's really interesting, thanks for sharing that!

This whole thread is getting more and more ridiculous, a few idiots trying to tell others what should be worn, what should be sung and even what time it is acceptable to start having a drink on Scotland matchdays!

Some of the best atmospheres ive been to have been Scotland games at Hampden. And when it comes to daft songs id rather listen to the stupid doe a deer than the moronic paedo songs. And if people want to dress like Braveheart extras i find it no more cringeworthy than some of those in our support swaggering about in Stone Island etc when theyre twenty years late for the party. And if the Tartan Armys full of middle aged middle class office workers ill take them over some of the jakey neds who pitch up for our big games.

The TA have their fair share of trumpets but no more than a lot of club sides. Two very different atmospheres at Scotland and Hibs but I enjoy both. In terms of commitment Hibs will of course always be number 1 by a mile. On a self imposed Harry Potter inspired Scotland ban atm but will be back once hes bulleted.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I'm going to turn up to the next Hibs game completely naked, just so I don't offend anyone.

BTW the Dutch fans are also a national embarrasment. The proper football fans of Ajax, PSV, Utrecht and so on hate those cringey orange morons. As for the Irish, they are worse than the Tartan Army. Dressed as a leprechaun at a football match. No wonder Roy Keane ripped them to bits.
    Last edited by CB_NO3; 09-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PHOOEY View Post
    What a stupid post. Folk singing songs u do not like or did not join in with ? Thought the atmosphere was okay today (was in the north stand) .To call us "tossers" for sod all is a bit rich. Watch both Hibs (every where) and Scotland (every where) and think the atmosphere at Scotland games are a lot better than a Hibs game.
    Where did i say that i did'nt join in? My main point that maybe was'nt explained properly was that the attempts of humour etc were contrived which i found cringe worthy. And for the guy that commented on the title of the thread, obviously the irony has been lost on you. I also said the atmosphere was good ( i think). Maybe my only mistake was generalising.

Quote Originally Posted by S.sct View Post
    Where did i say that i did'nt join in? My main point that maybe was'nt explained properly was that the attempts of humour etc were contrived which i found cringe worthy. And for the guy that commented on the title of the thread, obviously the irony has been lost on you. I also said the atmosphere was good ( i think). Maybe my only mistake was generalising.
    You're just an idiot!

You started a thread calling the majority of a 48k crowd (in excess of 24k people) tossers for trying to enjoy themselves at a football match but apparently not in the way you think people should have fun!

Doe a deer is deplorable??

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    My thoughts about the 'Tartan Army' are much the same as they are for 'Eng-er-lund's' support. Mainly made up of people who watch footy on the box and don't actively support a club. Most of the people at my work who actually go to games now and again couldn't really give a rats behind for the England team. Much of their support comes from the Sun reading tradesmen of the builders crack, bald-headed, beer-bellied persuasion who are too busy pushing a trolley round Asda for the missus on a Saturday to bother going to games and they 'support' Man U or Arsenal or Chelsea and it's too far away and they can't get a ticket, and it's on the box anyway.

This is, of course, a wild generalization, and should probably be ignored as I'm a bit pee'd off with the whole 'International' scene atm.....
    Nah, they're the type who buy the new England top and watch the games in the pub and that's your lot. I know a few match going England fans and their dedication is unreal (know a couple of lads who were in Moldova on Friday night and then had somehow managed to get back in time for the Tamworth game yesterday!) and I'm sure the same can be said for a lot of the Scotland support. That said, I can appreciate a lot of the support of any country can be likened to that of pretty much any club, in that quite often those who shout loudest are those who know the least.

Every team has their trumpets and their hugely dedicated folk, let people enjoy their day out in whatever way they want to, I say. Certainly better than trying to avoid the pavement dancers etc.

Got to love this thread - some people need to get a grip! Are these people still masterbating to jazz mags? How dare a Scottish person wear a kilt, sing a song and back the team? How bloody dare they!

As for the post by S&S which says its too expensive? I paid £25 for my ticket yesterday to watch a Wolrd Cup qualifyer which had no less than 8 premiership (quoted as the best league in the world) players. Compare that to tickets at SPL grounds where the product on show is gash, stadiums are empty and atmosphere is rubbish! Yep, give me ER with 8k people there and 2 poor teams for £24 - and people call the Tartan Army idiots
    Last edited by TowerHibs; 09-09-2012 at 10:04 AM.

There's something mildly amusing about people claiming generalisations and unfair criticism of the Tartan Army making similar generalisations and criticisms of the Hibs support.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Tartan army are one of the main reasons i couldnt give a **** about scotland. Middle aged men in mid life crisis's, folk who feel the need to dress like willie wallace for a football match and still in this day in age, the anti-english pesh. Absulute phannys...
    a lot of quotes including this are laughable, what the hell country do scottish hibs fans posting like that support. You couldn't give a **** about your country ?

it beggars belief...

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    That's it for me just now.

I used to think Scotland was the national equivalent of Hibs, win a few lose a few, qualify for things and heroically crash out.

There used to be connections, even if good Hibbies were overlooked for inferior OF players. Now its lower division English players and a national debut for a Scottish 3rd division player. Its a national embarrassment.

If I hadn't caught the News in the car yesterday when the match finished I still wouldn't know the score now.

The SFA have overseen the gradual decline of the game in Scotland over recent decades; Potter is the depths they have now crash dived to at a national level.

Good luck to those who follow them, I'm sure there must be better ways to waste money.

Sums it up pretty well for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
    Sums it up pretty well for me too.
    While I agree with the decline in Scottish football, the SFA shocking running of our game and potter being a **** - I struggle to see the argument of "lower league" English players. Only 2 players from yesterday played in the championship and I could argue Dixon was man of the match (bare in mind champions league player Mulgrew and EPL player fox pulled out)

If international football is not ur cup of team then fair do's. I for one think it should be the pinnacle of a players career but not many people treat it so. But if ur going to knock it then try and get the facts right - we had more players playing at a higher standard of league on a weekly basis than Serbia

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Tossers for enjoying the game ad singing??
    Take the stick out o your ar*se mate and have a word!

Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    a lot of quotes including this are laughable, what the hell country do scottish hibs fans posting like that support. You couldn't give a **** about your country ?

it beggars belief...
    Half the players dont even come from our country. Our manager is a tosser who is so negative. The SFA are so corrupt its beyond belief. Folk wear feathers in their hats and sing a song from Songs of praise. International football is bollocks and even the players only give a toss when there is a qualifier on. I would rather sit in the East with 10 jakey Stone Island wearing Hibs fans than some lad from Dingwall who just wants a wee day out from the farm. Am proud to be Scottish but the national team can do one.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    BTW the Dutch fans are also a national embarrasment. The proper football fans of Ajax, PSV, Utrecht and so on hate those cringey orange morons. As for the Irish, they are worse than the Tartan Army. Dressed as a leprechaun at a football match. No wonder Roy Keane ripped them to bits.
    That's exactly what my mates reply was, he said you lot are as bad. The guy just laughed and never said if he did dress like that. But yeah a lot of fans go dressed up looking idiots. Like I say, not for me but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman View Post
    That's really interesting, thanks for sharing that!

This whole thread is getting more and more ridiculous, a few idiots trying to tell others what should be worn, what should be sung and even what time it is acceptable to start having a drink on Scotland matchdays!
    So I'm an idiot for wanting to wear normal clothes? Did I tell anyone what to wear? Look wear your Mrs bra and knickers for all care, I'm just saying its not for me. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you.

Oh and if you want to know colour or make of top to go with my jeans next Scotland game pm me!

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Half the players dont even come from our country. Our manager is a tosser who is so negative. The SFA are so corrupt its beyond belief. Folk wear feathers in their hats and sing a song from Songs of praise. International football is bollocks and even the players only give a toss when there is a qualifier on. I would rather sit in the East with 10 jakey Stone Island wearing Hibs fans than some lad from Dingwall who just wants a wee day out from the farm. Am proud to be Scottish but the national team can do one.

GGTTH
    Half of 11 is 5.5, yesterday's starting 11 only had James Morrison who was not born in Scotland, not really half is it? You carry on with your rant though, don't let the facts get in the way!

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin80 View Post
    While I agree with the decline in Scottish football, the SFA shocking running of our game and potter being a **** - I struggle to see the argument of "lower league" English players. Only 2 players from yesterday played in the championship and I could argue Dixon was man of the match (bare in mind champions league player Mulgrew and EPL player fox pulled out)

If international football is not ur cup of team then fair do's. I for one think it should be the pinnacle of a players career but not many people treat it so. But if ur going to knock it then try and get the facts right - we had more players playing at a higher standard of league on a weekly basis than Serbia
    The fact we have been looking at and picking english lower league players is precisely because of the way the Scottish game has been ruined. It's been discussed a million times over elsewhere, but the SPL set up, unfair revenue splits, old firm bias etc etc has brought us to the point where We have a poor league in both ability and financial terms and some of our best players ply their trade in the English lower leagues. And that's before you start talking about the players levein chases if he thinks there might be a Scottish granny lurkin in the background.

Anyways, "International football used to be my cup of tea" the point I was agreeing with was a general one Jack was making covering a lot of years. When playing for your country was considered the pinnacle of a players career. Maybe you should have read it properly before posting.

So I'm an idiot for wanting to wear normal clothes? Did I tell anyone what to wear? Look wear your Mrs bra and knickers for all care, I'm just saying its not for me. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you.

Oh and if you want to know colour or make of top to go with my jeans next Scotland game pm me!
    You find it embarrassing? Why exactly?

And can you point out where I said you were an idiot for wearing normal clothes to a game? Can't turn this one round, I couldn't care less what others wear to a game unlike folk like you who apparently do!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Maybe its just me, but the atmosphere and the pre and after match bevy is normally the best thing about watching the national side.

We are not very good, and have not been very good for a while, making the most of it while having a good time is fine by me.

I dont go to many of the games these days, thats more to do with the team, who picks it and why.

Not who might watch us or what they sing?