hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I' dont know what you men,
    Have you been watching 'allo, 'allo again?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Not read all this thread ( on my phone)

Womens footy is worth it too for one simple reason...

Neighbours lass plays in one of the kiddy teams ( under 15s ?) and they're a bit Yammish.... Or were.... Over the past year (despite our results) they've started heading to ER on a regular basis

Little acorns etc :-)

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    I keep hearing this, how investment in ladies football could yield massive dividends, i dont believe it for one minute. If this was the case we'd be better investing in a fishing team, a Hibs fishing team would earn the club much more. Fishing is the countrys biggest sport, and these fishermen and women are part of the community. We'd need a bigger ground if we could tap into this?

Hell one of two might even be good enough for the 1st team if we cast the net far enough?
    I can only assume that this is deliberately disingenuous.

Blog Entries
    I keep hearing this, how investment in ladies football could yield massive dividends, i dont believe it for one minute. If this was the case we'd be better investing in a fishing team, a Hibs fishing team would earn the club much more. Fishing is the countrys biggest sport, and these fishermen and women are part of the community. We'd need a bigger ground if we could tap into this?

Hell one of two might even be good enough for the 1st team if we cast the net far enough?
    Ok.
    1) Women's/Girls football is still football. The highest level of football in Edinburgh are the SPL teams. If you are a footballer of either sex, if you want to watch football at the top level it therefore is likely to be Hibs or Hearts. The more that girls in particular have access to the sport, and Hibs promote it, the more opportunity there is for them to roll through the turnstiles for the first team. As I said - a small investment has the potential to yield many times in excess of the outlay. I've taken my girls team to see Hibs - they (the club) were great. 26 comps for kids who wouldn't have been to the game, stadium tour. They spent hundreds in the club shop, on programmes etc. A couple have been back. Your viewpoint is based on, I'd suggest, false assumptions.
    2) Gonnae drop this "why not invest in darts/fishing rubbish". Its a football club, so football activities are all that are relevant. Your point is fatuous.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twa Cairpets View Post
    Ok.
    1) Women's/Girls football is still football. The highest level of football in Edinburgh are the SPL teams. If you are a footballer of either sex, if you want to watch football at the top level it therefore is likely to be Hibs or Hearts. The more that girls in particular have access to the sport, and Hibs promote it, the more opportunity there is for them to roll through the turnstiles for the first team. As I said - a small investment has the potential to yield many times in excess of the outlay. I've taken my girls team to see Hibs - they (the club) were great. 26 comps for kids who wouldn't have been to the game, stadium tour. They spent hundreds in the club shop, on programmes etc. A couple have been back. Your viewpoint is based on, I'd suggest, false assumptions.
    2) Gonnae drop this "why not invest in darts/fishing rubbish". Its a football club, so football activities are all that are relevant. Your point is fatuous.
    Gonnae no tell me what to dae? Football for women is classed as a different sport apparently, and if its spondulucks you want more of why dismiss darts or fishing? Are the people who partake in these sports not part of the community?

Blog Entries
    Gonnae no tell me what to dae? Football for women is classed as a different sport apparently, and if its spondulucks you want more of why dismiss darts or fishing? Are the people who partake in these sports not part of the community?
    If you're going to continue to put up an argument that has been shot to pieces by half a dozen different posters, I think I've every right to suggest that you refrain from repeating it. Its a different sport only insofar as its split along gender lines - to suggest its a different sport is just stupid, I'm afraid. Its called football, it has the same laws, and its governed by the SFA in Scotland and FIFA internationally. That'll do for me.
    You can persist in this "darts players are part of the community line", but I'm deeply hoping that you're trolling here because I can't believe anyone would be so pig-headed in pursuing this line of argument.
    Last edited by Twa Cairpets; 09-09-2012 at 05:17 PM.

For anyone interested, the girls beat Celtic 2-0 this afternoon.

If you're going to continue to put up an argument that has been shot to pieces by half a dozen different posters, I think I've every right to suggest that you refrain from repeating it. Its a different sport only insofar as its split along gender lines - to suggest its a different sport is just stupid, I'm afraid. Its called football, it has the same laws, and its governed by the SFA in Scotland and FIFA internationally. That'll do for me.
    You can persist in this "darts players are part of the community line", but I'm deeply hoping that you're trolling here because I can't believe anyone would be so pig-headed in pursuing this line of argument.
    If you cared to read the thread properly, its not me that calls it a different sport, but the football authorities apparently? I await this influx of women just waiting to stampede on the holy ground, perhaps i'd have been better getting a 3 year season ticket to make sure of my seat?

You can call it pig headed all you like, but there's more chance of a fisherman playing for hibs than any women, and they ARE part of the community, as are dart players. And i'd put money on there being more of them at easter road each week than women footballers?

Blog Entries
    If you cared to read the thread properly, its not me that calls it a different sport, but the football authorities apparently? I await this influx of women just waiting to stampede on the holy ground, perhaps i'd have been better getting a 3 year season ticket to make sure of my seat?

You can call it pig headed all you like, but there's more chance of a fisherman playing for hibs than any women, and they ARE part of the community, as are dart players. And i'd put money on there being more of them at easter road each week than women footballers?
    Are you deliberately being fatuous or genuinely missing the point?

Read the points raised about why it makes sense before you carry on hoisting your particular straw man argument of fishermen.

Are you deliberately being fatuous or genuinely missing the point?

Read the points raised about why it makes sense before you carry on hoisting your particular straw man argument of fishermen.
    I'm being 100% genuine, but i'm willing to bet our crowds wont go up just because we have an affiliation with a womens team.

And we wont make any significant money through this if any?

Women will come and watch Hibs because they want to, they are as welcome as anyone, but to suggest as some have we are ignoring 50% of the population is bollox. Everyone is welcome at easter road, womens footballers, darts players or fishermen, why wouldnt they be?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hibee Harp View Post
    For anyone interested, the girls beat Celtic 2-0 this afternoon.

Even the BBC have picked up the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19538681

Blog Entries
    I'm being 100% genuine, but i'm willing to bet our crowds wont go up just because we have an affiliation with a womens team.

And we wont make any significant money through this if any?

Women will come and watch Hibs because they want to, they are as welcome as anyone, but to suggest as some have we are ignoring 50% of the population is bollox. Everyone is welcome at easter road, womens footballers, darts players or fishermen, why wouldnt they be?
    How do players fall in love with the game? With boys, its because it has been the social and cultural norm for boys to play and watch football. It hasn't been for girls until now. To take your point "Women will come and watch Hibs because they want to" how do you get girls to want to? One way is clearly by having them involved in playing the game - maybe not necessarily at Hibs - but make Hibs aspirational for them. If a girl plays football for Hibs is it more or less likely that she will want to come and watch the senior team? I don't think we are ignoring 50% of the population, but what we are (potentially) doing is not exploiting the opportunity presented by the major growth in that is happening right now in girls and women's football. I cannot see how you can possibly think that an extra 4,000 kids who had previously not played football being essentially ignored by the club, as you seem to want, is a bad thing? (Figure is roughly the regions share of targeted growth in registered players over next five years).

And its very magnanimous for you to accept that they'll be welcome.