hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Peter Marinello

Peter Marinello

ITV 4 just now. Fulham v Sunderland from 21/1/1979. Our Peter having a good game for Fulham. Oh for a Peter Marinello now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

though sometimes last season a Peter Guggi would have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    though sometimes last season a Peter Guggi would have done.

One of the 10 biggest waste of money in football according to this - http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/s...543912,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    One of the 10 biggest waste of money in football according to this - http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/s...543912,00.html
    Harsh on Marinello who left Hibs far too early and could have done with gaining a bit more experience. Arsenal paid£100k and sold him for £100k so money not really wasted
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    You should read his Biog and get the mans own very honest thoughts on how his career went.
    The hype created around him prior to his move to Arsenal by a press desperate for the next George Best would have crushed any young lad. Ignore that hype and he did OK out of the game.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    You should read his Biog and get the mans own very honest thoughts on how his career went.
    The hype created around him prior to his move to Arsenal by a press desperate for the next George Best would have crushed any young lad. Ignore that hype and he did OK out of the game.
    He could play - but he could drink and drink too. I have read a fair bit about him.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Harsh on Marinello who left Hibs far too early and could have done with gaining a bit more experience. Arsenal paid£100k and sold him for £100k so money not really wasted
    Having read his biography, Fallen Idol, it seems Hibs were desperate to get money for him while they could. He asked why he was being sold to Arsenal for 100,000 and was told - six months previously he had been valued at 125,000. He was already fond of the nightlife and a drink.

Ironically the first Marinello knew about his transfer was via Arthur Duncan. Arthur (still with Partick Thistle) picked him up at a bus stop. "What you dong here Arthur", asks PM. "Haven't you heard, you're signing for Arsenal, I'm your replacement.

If we consider "The Flyer's" entertainment value alone, it seems that Hibs did pretty well out of the deal.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Marinello what a talent and one of my first hero's. I saw another yesterday in BTG, Peter Cormack was in there before the game, another of the long list of quality players who have graced the easter road turf.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Having read his biography, Fallen Idol, it seems Hibs were desperate to get money for him while they could. He asked why he was being sold to Arsenal for 100,000 and was told - six months previously he had been valued at 125,000. He was already fond of the nightlife and a drink.

Ironically the first Marinello knew about his transfer was via Arthur Duncan. Arthur (still with Partick Thistle) picked him up at a bus stop. "What you dong here Arthur", asks PM. "Haven't you heard, you're signing for Arsenal, I'm your replacement.

If we consider "The Flyer's" entertainment value alone, it seems that Hibs did pretty well out of the deal.
    You're right. Duncan was a solid citizen and worth ten Marinellos. Fast and fit he roasted full backs in every ground in the land.

Marinello on the other hand was a slightly built and girly looking wee nipper who grabbed the headlines for a short while and through no fault of his own failed to live up to the hype.

He ended up playing for that lot in Gorgie. Need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    You're right. Duncan was a solid citizen and worth ten Marinellos. Fast and fit he roasted full backs in every ground in the land.

Marinello on the other hand was a slightly built and girly looking wee nipper who grabbed the headlines for a short while and through no fault of his own failed to live up to the hype.

He ended up playing for that lot in Gorgie. Need I say more?
    He went in decline after scoring two goals in the win at Ibrox, which put us top in October 1969. That game brought headlines from all over the UK & firmly put Marinello in the spotlight, his form dipped rather badly after that.

As a nipper, I often used to see the two Peter's {Marinello & Cormack} walking along the prom at Porty, totally sober, both were massive hero's of mine and both always willing to offer autographs and time. Absolutely gutted when we lost them both within four months of each other.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    He was my hero when I was about 10 but as I got older I noticed that Peter couldnae actually cross a ball which is a bit of a drawback for a winger. Could beat players for fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    He was my hero when I was about 10 but as I got older I noticed that Peter couldnae actually cross a ball which is a bit of a drawback for a winger. Could beat players for fun though.
    You got older quick

I think he was only at the club for about 18 months, when he joined in 1968, Alex Scott was the right winger, I seem to remember Alex playing when Joe McBride first came in, which I think was the October [68] & I'm sure Scott was still had the jersey when we played Hamburg, which would have been at the start of 69, I think it was after that game that Marinello took over.