hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Form is temporary --------- class is permanent.

!
    Sums this American crowd up in a nutshell.

Absolutely poisonous.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fairly even in the foursomes, but the Americans have been awesome in the fourballs. An unbelievable number of birdies - the difference between the teams is the putting and the fact that the Americans are more aggressive. I can't believe that many of our players are close to or even above par in a fourballs match.

Woods was extremely poor in the morning - some of his shots were worse than mine!

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Mickelson has played some great stuff today also been impressed with the Belgian lad

some hard work needed tomorrow by the looks of things to give us a hope going into the singles

I feel totally drained having watched virtually every shot yesterday. Not great to watch from a European point of view, but the golf on show was fantastic.

Unfortunately, this course looks suited to the American style of play. It does not penalise the long, but wayward hitters, so they just stand up and wallop it! On the greens they also have holed much more putts than us. Add to that some of our players looking slightly off their game. Westwood, along with Donald & Garcia, are struggling a bit on the greens. Westwood especially looks as if he will never hole a putt. Kaymer looks as if he would rather be somewhere else - am I right in saying that he did not make one birdie in his fourball match.

Credit to the USA, they played some great shots when it mattered. I also believe that the USA crowd have been respectful, though noisy in their support of their team.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    We're in deep trouble.

It's a putting competition and the USA are excelling.

I can't believe Westwood reappeared after lunch, and if I was captain, he wouldn't get a game today.

He hasn't had a birdie yet, and hasn't holed a single putt. Literally.

He's the most undeserving European to GET a point yesterday and I'm counting his singles tie on Sunday as another win for the USA.

I'm very disappointed.

Looking forward to watching it again after my round this afternoon though.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    We're in deep trouble.

It's a putting competition and the USA are excelling.

I can't believe Westwood reappeared after lunch, and if I was captain, he wouldn't get a game today.

He hasn't had a birdie yet, and hasn't holed a single putt. Literally.

He's the most undeserving European to GET a point yesterday and I'm counting his singles tie on Sunday as another win for the USA.

I'm very disappointed.

Looking forward to watching it again after my round this afternoon though.
    We need to win the morning foursomes and then hope that we play better in the fourballs. If not this could be a thumping to what looked like a very strong European team. Unfortunately, rankings hide the fact that some players are off their game at the moment, or don't hole enough putts for an 18 hole matchplay competition.

Our players really need to perform today. Looking at the foursomes line-up, I do fancy Poulter (why was he dropped yesterday afternoon) / Rose and McIlroy / McDowell to win. Bradley / Mickelson look unstoppable. I also think that Dufner / Johnson will be too strong for Colsaerts / Garcia, unless Garcia plays some inspirational golf. I really hope that Donald, Garcia and Westwood play better today.

• Simpson/Watson v Poulter/Rose Europe Win
    • Bradley/Mickelson v Westwood/Donald USA Win
    • Dufner/Z Johnson v Colsaerts/Garcia USA Win
    • Furyk/Snedeker v McIlroy/McDowell Europe Win

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    I feel totally drained having watched virtually every shot yesterday. Not great to watch from a European point of view, but the golf on show was fantastic.

Unfortunately, this course looks suited to the American style of play. It does not penalise the long, but wayward hitters, so they just stand up and wallop it! On the greens they also have holed much more putts than us. Add to that some of our players looking slightly off their game. Westwood, along with Donald & Garcia, are struggling a bit on the greens. Westwood especially looks as if he will never hole a putt. Kaymer looks as if he would rather be somewhere else - am I right in saying that he did not make one birdie in his fourball match.

Credit to the USA, they played some great shots when it mattered. I also believe that the USA crowd have been respectful, though noisy in their support of their team.
    I don't mind the noisy support but when it gets to the point of cheering mistakes and shouting "in the water/trees/bunker" (which was quite audible yesterday), it makes for a very poisonous environment and not something which happened at Celtic Manor or The K Club. It's not in the spirit of the game IMO.

I genuinely reckon we're already sunk. It's not just that America are playing some stellar golf (which some of their players really are) - there are too many players in the European team who aren't even at level par or better. The course doesn't look too difficult, even when wild off of the tees. They weren't outdriving us yesterday but their approach play and putting has been outstanding.

If the form of yesterday continues, it could be an annihilation.

Gamer IDs

• Simpson/Watson v Poulter/Rose USA Win
    • Bradley/Mickelson v Westwood/Donald USA Win
    • Dufner/Z Johnson v Colsaerts/Garcia USA Win
    • Furyk/Snedeker v McIlroy/McDowell A/S

I can't see past the above today.

Simpson and Watson were stellar yesterday, as were Bradley and Mickelson. Colsaerts might manage to put up a fight against Dufner and Johnson but Garcia didn't look overly hot yesterday. There was very little between the last match yesterday and I dare say it'll be close again.

Gamer IDs

Bradley and Mickelson picking up where they left off yesterday.

Sadly, so is Lee Westwood, dumping his tee shot at the second into the water and now 2 down...

Westwood shouldn't have been playing this morning. Hunched over, not committing to shots, looks totally lacking in confidence.

Needs a break this afternoon unless Donald can get him going in the next couple of holes.

Gamer IDs

This is steaming toward a 4-0 rout in the morning session. They're playing some untouchable golf and we can't compete.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Bubba taking 70yards out of poulter off the tee unbelievable
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Crowd cheering and mocking bad shots is a bit off imo.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    I would have booed that shot from poulter :-)
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    I would have booed that shot from poulter :-)
    Fair point well made.

Gamer IDs

Can we launch a motion to have their golf balls and the holes checked for magnetic substances?

Ridiculous how much they're holing.

The scoreboard makes for horrible viewing.

I expected the USA to win, but this is like a cavalry charge.

If Europe don't win at least 3 of this afternoon's games then it'll be a complete rout.

Also getting a bit bored of Montgomerie and his crass comments on Woods. Maybe he should turn his attention Westwood, McIlroy and McDowell who are all have shockers for supposed world class players.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    If Europe don't win at least 3 of this afternoon's games then it'll be a complete rout.

Also getting a bit bored of Montgomerie and his crass comments on Woods. Maybe he should turn his attention Westwood, McIlroy and McDowell who are all have shockers for supposed world class players.
    I like Monty, but he is really annoying me with his comments too.

The longer this match goes on, it shows that the main difference between the teams is that the USA hole much more putts that Europe. I could not believe the number of times that our putts spun out of the hole.

The funny moment yesterday was Kuchar's recovery shot that hits a tree thirty yards in front of him, only to end up ten yards behind him.

The sad moment yesterday was that American idiot that shouts (clearly audible on TV) "**** you Seve". Why do they say these things? What is the point of it? American golf needs to drive these idiots away from their sport.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    I like Monty, but he is really annoying me with his comments too.

The longer this match goes on, it shows that the main difference between the teams is that the USA hole much more putts that Europe. I could not believe the number of times that our putts spun out of the hole.

The funny moment yesterday was Kuchar's recovery shot that hits a tree thirty yards in front of him, only to end up ten yards behind him.

The sad moment yesterday was that American idiot that shouts (clearly audible on TV) "**** you Seve". Why do they say these things? What is the point of it? American golf needs to drive these idiots away from their sport.
    I've found their fans to be increasingly odious the more this goes on. Cheering mistakes, derisory shouts and even booing yesterday (audibly different from the chants of Kuch or Luke).

That shout really took the cake though and quite angered everyone in our household who was watching!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Some of the quotes that came before the game were outrageous IMO (specifically thinking of Snedeker's "kick their brains in") and this has encouraged an atmosphere that is getting close to the Brookline nonsense.

Needs to be reeled in ASAP or there will be unsavoury scenes later when the inevitable happens.

Not sour grapes - USA have played brilliantly and will win deservedly unless something spectacular happens.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Some of the quotes that came before the game were outrageous IMO (specifically thinking of Snedeker's "kick their brains in") and this has encouraged an atmosphere that is getting close to the Brookline nonsense.

Needs to be reeled in ASAP or there will be unsavoury scenes later when the inevitable happens.

Not sour grapes - USA have played brilliantly and will win deservedly unless something spectacular happens.
    Pretty sure I heard Poulter say 'you can be friends with these guys but in a ryder cup you wanna kill them' so its the same on both sides. Over inflated, patriotic nonsense.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Pretty sure I heard Poulter say 'you can be friends with these guys but in a ryder cup you wanna kill them' so its the same on both sides. Over inflated, patriotic nonsense.
    Yep - I'm not trying to say its only one side doing it just that its gonna get out of hand.

Since Brookline the teams have worked really hard at improving the spirit of the match and its been brilliant.

Moments like this yesterday...................

...........could see all that work undone.

Not trying to be a killjoy - just hope we don't see a repeat of '99 later.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Poulter was just being an arse there, so you can hardly blame the crowd for responding to his taunts.

If the players do not like the bad atmopshere they need to start showing some maturity.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It's got to be said that the USA team have performed magnificently so far but their brilliance has been aided by the inability of the European team to put them under pressure.

The biggest disappointment to me is the actual course itself. It's the prerogative of the home team to set up the course in a manner that will give them the best chance of winning, but I still think that the "grip it and rip it" brigade should be punished for the really wild shots that are a mile off line. As things stand, the only players that are really getting punished are the guys who can hit it up the middle as they gain no advantage whatsoever.

It's still a magnificent event to watch but this year more than ever, it's been turned into a putting contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    It's got to be said that the USA team have performed magnificently so far but their brilliance has been aided by the inability of the European team to put them under pressure.

The biggest disappointment to me is the actual course itself. It's the prerogative of the home team to set up the course in a manner that will give them the best chance of winning, but I still think that the "grip it and rip it" brigade should be punished for the really wild shots that are a mile off line. As things stand, the only players that are really getting punished are the guys who can hit it up the middle as they gain no advantage whatsoever.

It's still a magnificent event to watch but this year more than ever, it's been turned into a putting contest.
    I do think that had this game been played at a course with rough that rewards straight hitting (ie a typical US Open course) then the match result would have been a lot closer. Even when they hit the ball into the trees, there is little punishment.

Well done Bubba, build the crowd into a frenzy then practically shank your drive, into the crowd. Good recovery though unfortunately

Europe could do with a few more Ian Poulters.

Rory McIlroy sleeping in and the forgetting what time zone he's in so no warm up. Unbelievable stuff.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    So far so good but it's still a farcical golf course.