This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibstrooper View Post
    Maybe.
    This had me in hysterics.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Lets convert him into a football player first.
    I rate Stephens, but this also had me in hysterics.

for all.

Edit: Never even gave my view on the topic. I do rate Stephens as a centre-half. He's still young and looks decent.
    Last edited by hibee92; 28-07-2012 at 02:12 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Colin Stein started life as a full back

Bobby Duncan started life as a forward

Paul Hanlon was a central midfielder

Examples of players being moved to benefit both themselves and the team.

Perhaps the OP realised we could do with a target man option but felt young Caldwell lacks the experience at the moment and that Hibs don't really have the money to buy one in.

It was a suggestion. Hardly merits some of the aggressive negative responses though IMO
    Was just about to post that. Had trials at the Binos as a full back but was told he was useless.

Seem to recall that Scotland played Ron Yates at centre forward against Italy in one occasion without much success. I wonder what Lawrie Reilly thinks of this debate.

@hibs.net private member
    Stephens does not have the football brain to play CF. He struggles at CH. FFS Sean O Hanlon has been selected by two managers before him at his natural position. Not going to make at ER. Next week thread will be can we convert DS into Tam McCourts assistant

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gala Foxes View Post
    David Stephens could'nt lace Gordon Rae's boots
    Was trying to think of something credible to post on this thread, and that's the one

I ain't going to have a go at the young guy but Gordon was an established player, very capable defender & leader with an eye for goal. He could play a bit and is exactly what we need now.

The difference here is that we knew he could play and what he could deliver in positions if the need arose, he did however have a role in the team where he was probably our best in the position. We had the luxury of being able to move him around if we had to because he could do it. Not convinced we have that same luxury now, we'd be taking a chance because there's no one else, not a great help to the guys confidence if he doesn't do well there.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

James McPake, Paul Hanlon, Tim Clancy, Sean O'Hanlan and Jordan Forster are all better centre halfs than Stephens. Eoin Doyle, Ross Caldwell, Leigh Griffiths and Danny Handling are all better strikers than David Stephens. In my opinion Stephens isn't good enough to play anywhere in the Hibs line up, he is mistake prone, slow on the ball and in 2 seasons obviously hasnt had the desire to get fit because he looks like the side of a house. If we are to improve we wont do it with guys like this in the team.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Well done to the OP, I like your thinking of utilising players in what is obviously going to be a small squad with lack of decent cover in many positions. The thought of throwing a centre half up front is hardly a new one and doesn't deserve the ridicule from some on here.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    James McPake, Paul Hanlon, Tim Clancy, Sean O'Hanlan and Jordan Forster are all better centre halfs than Stephens. Eoin Doyle, Ross Caldwell, Leigh Griffiths and Danny Handling are all better strikers than David Stephens. In my opinion Stephens isn't good enough to play anywhere in the Hibs line up, he is mistake prone, slow on the ball and in 2 seasons obviously hasnt had the desire to get fit because he looks like the side of a house. If we are to improve we wont do it with guys like this in the team.
    Totally agree. If the manager thinks Stephens is the correct player to partner Mcpake at the start of the season ill be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I was the poster who mentioned eloquence and if you and the other poster thought that I was referring to the spelling then I despair. I was alluding to those who feel it is appropriate to call others t**ts and other such names. Seriously, (and only if it is me you were referring to), how could you possibly overlook the abuse and only see the spelling errors as a flaw in the original post?
    It was your post I was thinking of when I posted my wee rant HH ..... I apologise to you because in my haste I didnt stop to re read what you had said and you are right ... you didnt chib the guys spelling.

My post still holds true in a general sense though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Anyway, I think Stephens is a good defender for his young age. He played out of his skin and was pro ably our best player in a couple of games last year when he'd been unfairly booked for his first challenge. I do recall the game against Motherwell on opening day when he replaced Nish as we tried to close out the game and he didn't lose a challenge or get his shorts dirty. Wouldn't be my first choice up front but could be an option.
    Stephens might not end up making it for us, but hes 20, played hardly any games, and some of our fans, as per usual, have completely written a player off. Ridiculous.

Whenever Ive seen him, theres usually two sides to his game. Anything over the top and he usually beats most strikers. He seems to have reasonable pace along with that, so theres definite potential there. The other side however, that he seems to have more problems with, is concentration, and sometimes getting into a bit of a panic when hes on the ball. I imagine that can be sorted with coaching, and having someone like McPake alongside him, who can talk him through games. They also need protection from the midfield (something they dont get from the current players), so hopefully Fenlon can come up with a system to try and help out whoevers in defence.

@hibs.net private member
    He is struggling today and was caught out for the second goal.

While we are at why don't we try and covert O'Halon into a centre forward as well. Proved he can score goals with his goal against the dons last season.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Gordon Rae could play centre forward and centre half and if my memory serves me right, Willie Jamieson was the same.
    Worth a bash I reckon
    Yes, both of them played both CF and CH. Gogs was the better player, IMO.

Going from the ridiculous (kind of) to the sublime, another Welsh player who played in both positions was the late great John Charles. So it IS possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    David Stephens is a laddie with a bit of potential. He's young and he's not had a lot of competative football, so he's not really ironed out the inconsistancies in his game.

The fact is, ER is a poisonous place for young players to try and make the break through right now. The fans have no patience, the mismanagement of Hughes and Calderwood, and the poor examples of un-professional senior players, are not encouraging influences.

I'm not saying he's going to be the next Jones or Bamba, but the laddie has the raw materials to make it - strength, height and pace. He's a Welsh youth regular, and was highly thought of at Norwich before he joined us. BUT he will make mistakes.

For me, I'd be getting him involved at centre half this season, and pushing Hanlon out left a bit more. Booth and Kujabi provide a more attacking option at fullback if that's what we want, and perhaps even offer something higher up the park.

But the only way anyone can reasonably suggest playing Stephens up front is if they've seen him show the right qualities in training. Otherwise, they're just clutching at straws.

Exactly. And the Net can be a pretty poisonous place for anyone to suggest anything even a little off-beat or unusual - gotta toe the party line these days.

My experience would suggest that a centre-half's likely to possess some of the qualities required by a target-man centre-forward, which is why occasionally managers push their central defenders up front if they're chasing a game.

But I would agree with you that DS needs to learn his trade in ONE position before trying out for another. And that the only people who can make a reasonable assessment as to whether he can play as CF are those who've seen him play there in training.

we should convert him to play centre half

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Gordon Rae could play centre forward and centre half and if my memory serves me right, Willie Jamieson was the same.
    Worth a bash I reckon
    Both started as forwards and Rae had a terrific shot on him and scored some great goals. He also got fairly good at CH as time went on. I would not talk about them as great players that is really looking back with rose coloured glasses.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Was the back 4 that started today, Clancy McPake Stephens and Hanlon? If so, i'd guess with next week our first game in the SPL, that will be the 4 defenders we will start with?

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
    we should convert him to play centre half
    Is he not just 20 years old ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gala Foxes View Post
    David Stephens could'nt lace Gordon Rae's boots
    Hence the wink lala

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Was the back 4 that started today, Clancy McPake Stephens and Hanlon? If so, i'd guess with next week our first game in the SPL, that will be the 4 defenders we will start with?
    It was G....Was the same starting 11 that started vs Berlin....Will be the same 11 against United, unless anyone picks up an injury, or we sign someone who walks right in....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Last edited by silverhibee; 28-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    And any united scout watching our matches will target Stephens. The laddie doesn't concentrate enough on the game and wanders out of position. He's young, but needs to work on his concentration levels. McPake looked hacked off with him and Clancy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    It was G....Was the same starting 11 that started vs Berlin....Will be the same 11 against United, unless anyone picks up an injury, or we sign someone who walks right in....
    At least your sense of humour is holding up through all this ....

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    I think we should have a go at converting Stephens to play centre forward. He could be our target man up front and I think he would draw a few defenders and be a bit of a handful. It has got to be worth a whirl. He is reasonable in the air and is quick, I think we could make more of him, he is a big lump of a guy and we should be trying to get him on the park. Our squad has looked like an audition for the seven dwarves pantomime for far too long. He could learn off the other centre forwards and could surprise us all.

GGTTH
    he is total colin nish, i would close the curtains if i seen him playing in the back garden

Quote Originally Posted by leggeto View Post
    he is total colin nish, i would close the curtains if i seen him playing in the back garden
    Wonder if you are the wag, that shouted at DS in 1st half, that he was a rugby player?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Wonder if you are the wag, that shouted at DS in 1st half, that he was a rugby player?
    he is prob rubbish at egg chasin too mate

Quote Originally Posted by Feed McGraw View Post
    Sorry Jonny, but you mention Colin Stein, Bobby Duncan then PAUL HANLON !! If Paul Hanlon was a central midfielder he should`ve stayed there or consider going back there. I don`t really get the connection with those legends.

Having said that it would make a lot more sense considering Hanlon moving into midfield than Stephens becoming a centre forward ! Remember we were promised a new Hibs after the apocalypse of the 19th and a week before the season starts THIS is the kind of thing that we`re debating.
    The connection was simply that they started off in one role but progressed to another.
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Offside Trap View Post
    No need. Perfectly fair post putting an opinion out there. Kevin Kyle (for example) is hardly a case study in finesse or mobility yet scored a barrowload in the SPL.
    23 in 62? In 4 seasons. Barrowload? Hmmm...

First Team Breakthrough LioNeilMessi's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: soakingdisk795
    I rate Stephens. Mostly because I met him one Tuesday night on George St and he wasn't drinking Unheard of up here. He is a big pacey lad so it maybe could work.

First Team Breakthrough
    Sauzee was a right midfielder in his early career. Lost his pace and became a defender/sweeper.

Roberto carlos was a left back and currently plays as a holding midfielder.

Granted this was becasue they got older and lost their pace but goes to show. Sometimes it works

Also Im sure I remember Lee Wilkie going up front for Dundee utd for the last 30 minutes at a games at Easter Road

Darren Mcgregor was our striker at school and now he is a rock in the St Mirren defence.

Anyone know of any other examples?
    Last edited by Kyle A; 29-07-2012 at 01:20 AM.