hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Ha ha ha ha. Thats all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I often wonder if some of the people who start posts like this are just bonkers or have an overwhelming need for attention.

Quick its the thought police, better stick to the normal thread topics of: shall I buy my season ticket (or not) or Anything about Deeks OR something about Rangers or the Jambos!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    Quick its the thought police, better stick to the normal thread topics of: shall I buy my season ticket (or not) or Anything about Deeks OR something about Rangers or the Jambos!
    Bit of a contradiction, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Offside Trap View Post
    No need. Perfectly fair post putting an opinion out there. Kevin Kyle (for example) is hardly a case study in finesse or mobility yet scored a barrowload in the SPL.
    I don't think we can expect him to score a barrow load of goals but he might upset the defense and goals could result

Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    I remember that match where Stephens played up front for a bit and he looked OK for that wee while. I also remember Dundee Utd used to chuck Lee Wilkie up front when they were chasing a game, they did it at ER more than once and the guy was always a handfull.

I dont see anything daft in trying new things with players, there have been a few guys who have become better players when moved Gordon Rae started his professional career as a striker did he not? Got to admit I cant think of too many centre halfs who have made the transition the other way though.
    Gordon Rae was indeed centre-forward in the reserves at Hibs and scored a cracker at Tanadichie for the first team which was featured on one of the best goals ever DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gala Foxes View Post
    I've maybe got the phrase wrong but did Eddie Turnbull not say "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"
    Would that be the same Eddie Turnbull who played Erich Schaedler at centre-forward for a game to gain an advantage against the Pars and which resulted in a Hibs win?

Quote Originally Posted by wearethehibs View Post
    There areny have a load of twats on .net eh. The guy has posted a reasonable thread IMO. Some of you need to grow up ffs.

Not suggesting he be the new centre-forward we all want but he could be used in certain games to side track the opposition - if they were expecting a lightweight tippy tappy forward line from Hibs and set there stall accordingly maybe his presence would disrupt their plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Supraninja View Post
    He was once used as centre forward by Hughes as a replacement for Nish and did every bit as good as Colin had been diong up to that point.... which wasn't spectacular.... Stephens did spend less time on his arse though

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    Here's a novel idea - why dont we play players in their natural position? And if we dont have someone for that position - we go and get one
    If we can't afford one, maybe we should look at other possibilities - and I believe McPake started out as a centre-forward so maybe we should play him up front

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    If we're going to have a smaller squad then we need players who can play 2 or 3 different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Thats a bit harsh. My fifteen year old was saying almost exactly what the op says just this afternoon. I was convinced spike had been listening in when I read the thread title.
    I reckon your 15 year old has a future in footie

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    If we're going to have a smaller squad then we need players who can play 2 or 3 different positions.
    we could just stop there.

Cant believe the stick the OP is getting from some folk on here. Not to mention a poster getting their spelling kritasized as a retort to what he / she posted.

This is the most bloody annoying thing I ever see on here. Not everybody on H.Net is a member of bloody MENSA and I hate the thought that anybody would be put off from posting ( no matter how Tom Kite their idea might be ) because they might get a slagging from a bunch of sodding smart alecs, who, instead of posting a measured and thought out response, can only go down the pathetic avenue of poking fun at their spelling.

Rant over.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    big sam played samba up their for a bit at blackburn cause he never had a target man and that worked out ok. Give the lad a chance and see if it works, i remember mogga putting jones up front when we were behind a few times. Mcpake was a cf at livi before a injury crisis and he was brought back and has been a cb ever since and that worked out ok.

People should be given chances, The youth team and the current first team.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Bit of a contradiction, no?
    Bit of a contradiction, no - Yes that is a contradiction, no?

@hibs.net private member Macaroon's Avatar
    One of the most ridiculous posts ever in my opinion.

Our keepers are always too slow coming off their line, should we try Ivan in goals?
    Really made me laugh that one

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    Cant believe the stick the OP is getting from some folk on here. Not to mention a poster getting their spelling kritasized as a retort to what he / she posted.

This is the most bloody annoying thing I ever see on here. Not everybody on H.Net is a member of bloody MENSA and I hate the thought that anybody would be put off from posting ( no matter how Tom Kite their idea might be ) because they might get a slagging from a bunch of sodding smart alecs, who, instead of posting a measured and thought out response, can only go down the pathetic avenue of poking fun at their spelling.

Rant over.
    100% agree with mate. As someone with dyslexia I often worry about spelling mistakes on my posts as I have seen others get ripped a new one if there spelling or grammar is not up to scratch. It's a shame to see someone ask his fellow supports something only to be completely put down and slagged!

One of the most ridiculous posts ever in my opinion.

Our keepers are always too slow coming off their line, should we try Ivan in goals?
    Peter Cormack did OK when required to take over in goals - but he was more valuable to the team in midfield

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    We can't be that desperate can we? 2012-13 looking worse than 2011-12. Hope county and Dundee r mince

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Mcpake started his career as a striker and was converted to ch just saying likes. Imo David Stephens has somthing in there but I'd say a defensive mid would suit him more

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by yekimevol View Post
    big sam played samba up their for a bit at blackburn cause he never had a target man and that worked out ok. Give the lad a chance and see if it works, i remember mogga putting jones up front when we were behind a few times. Mcpake was a cf at livi before a injury crisis and he was brought back and has been a cb ever since and that worked out ok.

People should be given chances, The youth team and the current first team.
    Putting a big CB upfront when you are behind is a bit different though. The ball is just getting hoofed up the pitch in the hope that they win headers, and either score or flick it to one of the other strikers.

Actually converting a CB to a striker who will be playing the whole game up front would be more difficult. Theyd have to have the positional sense in the box to get on the end of crosses etc, and have the ability to finish chances that fall to them. Just because Stephens is big, it doesnt mean he would be any good at scoring (although you never know!).

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    Putting a big CB upfront when you are behind is a bit different though. The ball is just getting hoofed up the pitch in the hope that they win headers, and either score or flick it to one of the other strikers.

Actually converting a CB to a striker who will be playing the whole game up front would be more difficult. Theyd have to have the positional sense in the box to get on the end of crosses etc, and have the ability to finish chances that fall to them. Just because Stephens is big, it doesnt mean he would be any good at scoring (although you never know!).

Scored at East End Park the first game I ever saw him play. Trying him at centre forward is not the stupidest suggestion, but I would think it would have been tried in practice matches by now.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    David Stephens is a laddie with a bit of potential. He's young and he's not had a lot of competative football, so he's not really ironed out the inconsistancies in his game.

The fact is, ER is a poisonous place for young players to try and make the break through right now. The fans have no patience, the mismanagement of Hughes and Calderwood, and the poor examples of un-professional senior players, are not encouraging influences.

I'm not saying he's going to be the next Jones or Bamba, but the laddie has the raw materials to make it - strength, height and pace. He's a Welsh youth regular, and was highly thought of at Norwich before he joined us. BUT he will make mistakes.

For me, I'd be getting him involved at centre half this season, and pushing Hanlon out left a bit more. Booth and Kujabi provide a more attacking option at fullback if that's what we want, and perhaps even offer something higher up the park.

But the only way anyone can reasonably suggest playing Stephens up front is if they've seen him show the right qualities in training. Otherwise, they're just clutching at straws.

Colin Stein started life as a full back

Bobby Duncan started life as a forward

Paul Hanlon was a central midfielder

Examples of players being moved to benefit both themselves and the team.

Perhaps the OP realised we could do with a target man option but felt young Caldwell lacks the experience at the moment and that Hibs don't really have the money to buy one in.

It was a suggestion. Hardly merits some of the aggressive negative responses though IMO
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    100% agree with mate. As someone with dyslexia I often worry about spelling mistakes on my posts as I have seen others get ripped a new one if there spelling or grammar is not up to scratch. It's a shame to see someone ask his fellow supports something only to be completely put down and slagged!
    I was the poster who mentioned eloquence and if you and the other poster thought that I was referring to the spelling then I despair. I was alluding to those who feel it is appropriate to call others t**ts and other such names. Seriously, (and only if it is me you were referring to), how could you possibly overlook the abuse and only see the spelling errors as a flaw in the original post?

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Gordon Rae springs to mind
    David Stephens could'nt lace Gordon Rae's boots

Coaching Staff
    Having witnessed one of the worst central defensive performances I have seen at this level of football from David (v St Johnstone at home in 3-2 loss), and the second worst (Aberdeen at home 1-3 Eddie's tribute game), I think the lad has to concentrate on becoming a defender first and foremost.

Personally I don't berate or bad mouth players at games - as 500miles said ER can be quite a poisonous atmosphere for any player when not playing well - but I happen to think that DS is a poor footballer. Quite one paced for a big lad, I don't think he really attacks the ball at either end of the pitch, and I think he epitomises the phrase 'switching off'. Far far too lax as a defender and his awareness of players running behind or across him is poor. Plays too square and flat (and blinkered).

I was kind of hoping he would be one of the players asked to leave. Doesn't (like all the players) deserve flak at games though i.e constant abuse. But not a good player - Jordan Forster has bags more ability and is tough as **** for a young lad.

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post

Agree with this. I could see Stephens being effective if we were a goal down with 5min left and lumping it in to the box but can't see him scoring enough goals if played there permanently. Personally, I'd rather see Griffiths up front with Doyle or a new signing if we have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Colin Stein started life as a full back

Bobby Duncan started life as a forward

Paul Hanlon was a central midfielder

Examples of players being moved to benefit both themselves and the team.

Perhaps the OP realised we could do with a target man option but felt young Caldwell lacks the experience at the moment and that Hibs don't really have the money to buy one in.

It was a suggestion. Hardly merits some of the aggressive negative responses though IMO
    Sorry Jonny, but you mention Colin Stein, Bobby Duncan then PAUL HANLON !! If Paul Hanlon was a central midfielder he should`ve stayed there or consider going back there. I don`t really get the connection with those legends.

Having said that it would make a lot more sense considering Hanlon moving into midfield than Stephens becoming a centre forward ! Remember we were promised a new Hibs after the apocalypse of the 19th and a week before the season starts THIS is the kind of thing that we`re debating.
    Last edited by Feed McGraw; 27-07-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I was the poster who mentioned eloquence and if you and the other poster thought that I was referring to the spelling then I despair. I was alluding to those who feel it is appropriate to call others t**ts and other such names. Seriously, (and only if it is me you were referring to), how could you possibly overlook the abuse and only see the spelling errors as a flaw in the original post?
    I wasn't talking about you personally I was marking saying that there are a lot of posters on here who love to find flaws in people's posts

I was going go start a new thread but thought it might fit well on here.

I think someone should sit Easty down in front of a TV showing all the BBC coverage of the Olympics and ask him to pick a new sport as he is a complete and utter failure as a football fan.
    He has no understanding of most of the basics and of any of the more complex parts of the game.

Anyway, I think Stephens is a good defender for his young age. He played out of his skin and was pro ably our best player in a couple of games last year when he'd been unfairly booked for his first challenge. I do recall the game against Motherwell on opening day when he replaced Nish as we tried to close out the game and he didn't lose a challenge or get his shorts dirty. Wouldn't be my first choice up front but could be an option.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Playing him at CF is a great idea. The further away this ****ing nightmare is from our end the better.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    I was going go start a new thread but thought it might fit well on here.

I think someone should sit Easty down in front of a TV showing all the BBC coverage of the Olympics and ask him to pick a new sport as he is a complete and utter failure as a football fan.
    He has no understanding of most of the basics and of any of the more complex parts of the game.

Anyway, I think Stephens is a good defender for his young age
    . He played out of his skin and was pro ably our best player in a couple of games last year when he'd been unfairly booked for his first challenge. I do recall the game against Motherwell on opening day when he replaced Nish as we tried to close out the game and he didn't lose a challenge or get his shorts dirty. Wouldn't be my first choice up front but could be an option.

So do you disagree with anything there or not?

First Team Breakthrough calamitus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: marmite machine
    [QUOTE=easty;3306017]

Do most professional footballers not play as forwards growing up?

I know we like to portray these guys as
    poor/average/not hibs class, but the reality is that they're so much better than everyone else when they're at school, they and up playing for about 9 years up front, because that's where they do most damage.

I'd think that most professional players can play up front ok for that reason.

Admittedly, I left school in 1987, so coaching might be a bit more sophisticated these days than the old 'stick the best player up front' tactic

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    So do you disagree with anything there or not?
    You could say that, aye.

Gamer IDs

[QUOTE=calamitus;3306073]

Do most professional footballers not play as forwards growing up?

I know we like to portray these guys as
    poor/average/not hibs class, but the reality is that they're so much better than everyone else when they're at school, they and up playing for about 9 years up front, because that's where they do most damage.

I'd think that most professional players can play up front ok for that reason.

Admittedly, I left school in 1987, so coaching might be a bit more sophisticated these days than the old 'stick the best player up front' tactic
    Aye, but when those players are up front at school, they're playing against the likes of me and you. Against fatties and folk who are only playing 'cos thier dad wants them to play football. Being able to do well up front back then doesnt prove much.

Besides, if we were going to revert to the school football tactics of throwing the best player available up front, then David Stephens wouldn't be near the top of the list, would he?