hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough goosefat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stu. Really to hope your right mate. I
    still think Maybury if signed will get a game as DM. Think he may even offer us more than JC in there??

Once injuries and suspensions hit us there is going to be a lot of weight in the shoulders of the younger generation.

Fingers crossed.

This is a very good point. The other thing to bear in mind is that PF has already stated publicly that he wants us to have a bit more of a nasty side. I do hope he can communicate the difference between controlled aggression and brainless aggression. We didn't have the best discipline last season and given that we've now got a smaller squad and a very young bench, the "nasty" approach could seriously backfire.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    It's preseason and people are writing off Hibs as relegation fodder already.

And your point is

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hibs played ok tonight for a team who everyone knows needs 2 or 3 more signings. On this tour they've had shape, dig, and played with a bit of pride. All of which have been sorely missing.
    Great to read fans slagging players they haven't seen yet. They'd have hated it tonight. Union fans cheered their team non stop, never slagged anyone, and chatting after said they hoped to finish midtable as that matched their resources. Gave every appearance of being happy to support their club no matter what. Magic to sample such positivity. They are even happy the club is building a new stand. Imagine that!
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    Hibs played ok tonight for a team who everyone knows needs 2 or 3 more signings. On this tour they've had shape, dig, and played with a bit of pride. All of which have been sorely missing.
    Great to read fans slagging players they haven't seen yet. They'd have hated it tonight. Union fans cheered their team non stop, never slagged anyone, and chatting after said they hoped to finish midtable as that matched their resources. Gave every appearance of being happy to support their club no matter what. Magic to sample such positivity. They are even happy the club is building a new stand. Imagine that!
    Cheers for the update, sounds more positive than the result suggest.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by archiebald View Post
    Pre season means nothing,as previous will tell you
    Yup remember we made Sunderland look ordinary previous pre-season....was no marker when the real action started...

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    We are definitely 2-3 players short and I'm sure PF is working his socks off trying to bring the right sort of player(s) in. But then again we shouldn't feel too down hearted about this result. Remember, this same team hammered a hearts team, that ripped us to shreds in all four meetings last season, very comfortably 4-0 in pre-season last year.

We're not going to be coming up against this opposition week in, week out. It was a good workout for the players. Playing against good opposition from a decent league and getting a proper workout. Or do you want to play some amateur pub team and rip them 10-0 but the players won't learn nothing from that as the opposition are so poor and didn't give the lads a proper pre-season workout. Pre-season isn't only about winning games. It's about picking up much needed match fitness to be ready and raring to go ahead of the new campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis_1875 View Post
    You say negativity, its being realistic that we haven't improved at all I don't think from last season. How within just little time to the start of the season the midfield which was the worst area last season hasn't been improved but infact weaker due to loss of Osbourne is baffling.
    It seems our manager has learned nothing from last season. If he thinks Claros and Stevenson will compete with other SPL midfield players, he is daft. We have no pace,strength or indeed ability in midfield and will be overrun against nearly all SPL teams. Also he seems hell bent on playing fanciful formations which may be ok if you are the dominant team but absolutely useless when you have to stop the other team playing(cup final a good example).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    Yup remember we made Sunderland look ordinary previous pre-season....was no marker when the real action started...
    Sunderland are ordinary though!

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    It seems our manager has learned nothing from last season. If he thinks Claros and Stevenson will compete with other SPL midfield players, he is daft. We have no pace,strength or indeed ability in midfield and will be overrun against nearly all SPL teams. Also he seems hell bent on playing fanciful formations which may be ok if you are the dominant team but absolutely useless when you have to stop the other team playing(cup final a good example).
    Who would you play in centre midfield genius? Don't let the lack of quality players, and funds to bring in quality players, hold you back.......

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    I can believe anyone takes pre season tours so seriously all managers use these to try out things. Has nobody hear played football manager? ;-)

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    Exactly. And to answer the question regarding who to play there, I would have thought 3/4 midfielders who have been upmost priority to sign as thats the main area we bottled it last year.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Hibee View Post
    Exactly. And to answer the question regarding who to play there, I would have thought 3/4 midfielders who have been upmost priority to sign as thats the main area we bottled it last year.
    I think with so many leaving, he needed to start somewhere. He's started at the back, and midfield will hopefully be next, as i agree, we will get overrun in the middle of the park with the same players plus Cairney.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

i just dont understand what people expect of the players. they slag them off and have no faith in them at all. then moan even more when the season starts. the simple facts are that we dont have alot of money so who do they expect to see us bringing in? give the lads a chance and get right behind them instead of having a go before they have even kicked a ball in anger

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs lose a pre season friendly and the usual anti Hibs brigade are out in force. Are some you sure you are Hibs supporters? Hibs have been pish since the 1950s with the occasional bright spot. I really don't know what people expect from a team with no money and around 10000 fans at home games. Time to get realistic. We are not world beaters at best we are top six SPL team who sometimes flirt with third place .

Thought we played well in the first half, however we were not great in the second, and lost two soft goals.....Again most subs were used so that disrupted our play a bit. I hope that Doyle and Sproule are not our "wingers", as I dont rate either of them in that postion......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

I think when paddy returns from the tour more deals will be done. I hope I'm right.

Some fine pictures of last night's match here courtesy of Union Berlin

http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/media/...0-733D/#Bilder

Elsewhere they seem to suggest that we had lots of problems defending high balls into the box, that we were unable to cope with their fast movement and combination passes, that they were generally in control of the game - a good work out for them - we have a lot of work on our hands it seems...

....4800 at the game
    Last edited by PeeJay; 25-07-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I think with so many leaving, he needed to start somewhere. He's started at the back, and midfield will hopefully be next, as i agree, we will get overrun in the middle of the park with the same players plus Cairney.
    It has to be.

For 3 seasons the midfield has been the reason we have been so poor IMO. Its inability to hold its own in games, never mind control a game, is the reason we ship so many goals .. no wonder the defense struggles all the time when the ball is constantly in the possession of the other team and coming towards us all the time.

It wouldnt be so bad if the reason for that is that we have a midfield who can make a difference when it has the ball .... it cant.

From start to finish at Hampden we were overrun in the middle and that was just symptomatic of our ongoing problem.

Cant see where the players are going to come from though

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Some fine pictures of last night's match here courtesy of Union Berlin

http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/media/...0-733D/#Bilder

Elsewhere they seem to suggest that we had lots of problems defending high balls into the box, that we were unable to cope with their fast movement and combination passes, that they were generally in control of the game - a good work out for them - we have a lot of work on our hands it seems...

....4800 at the game
    Some great pics there

Blog Entries
    I despair at times, someone posts a joke reference that we're doomed & people who haven't seen us this season jump on bandwagon to agree. IMO we've made 5 excellent signings, got rid of some rubbish & seen 3 bright prospects all get on the scoresheet. What's not to like about that? We still need more, no one would dispute that but I believe we're making progress.
    PS, re the Sunderland friendly last season 11 homegrown players were on the park for us & they included likes of Lewis Horner & Ross Caldwell. Sunderland had multi million £ players on the park including Gyan & we drew. Friendlies mean nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    Who would you play in centre midfield genius? Don't let the lack of quality players, and funds to bring in quality players, hold you back.......
    Dont you even wonder why we havent had a decent midfield for atleast 3 years genius?? Please dont harp on about funds when we were signing 3-5 forwards at a time.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Hibs lose a pre season friendly and the usual anti Hibs brigade are out in force. Are some you sure you are Hibs supporters? Hibs have been pish since the 1950s with the occasional bright spot. I really don't know what people expect from a team with no money and around 10000 fans at home games. Time to get realistic. We are not world beaters at best we are top six SPL team who sometimes flirt with third place .
    I only expect a team to finish way above teams with 3000 home fans, i dont expect successive 10th and 11th place finishes. I suppose thats just being unrealistic?

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Quote Originally Posted by DAG013 View Post
    i just dont understand what people expect of the players. they slag them off and have no faith in them at all. then moan even more when the season starts. the simple facts are that we dont have alot of money so who do they expect to see us bringing in? give the lads a chance and get right behind them instead of having a go before they have even kicked a ball in anger
    I am not 'slagging' players off and there are many people who are also, similarly not slagging players off.

It is just very obvious that the players we currently have are not good enough to compete in the mid to higher echelons on the SPL. Many of these lads have had a 'chance' and have proved they are not good enough. I have a lot of respect for guys like Stevenson, however he just isn't good enough. There is no point in listing his faults but the times he has been in the team have shown what is wrong.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Just back we played ok first half but were murder in the 2nd half. The 2nd goal we lost was too easy, but we've been losing easy goals for about 3 seasons now. Well done to the 30 or so hibbys that went it was a good laugh. After all friendlies mean nothing except a good bevy for the fans.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Hibee View Post
    I am not 'slagging' players off and there are many people who are also, similarly not slagging players off.

It is just very obvious that the players we currently have are not good enough to compete in the mid to higher echelons on the SPL. Many of these lads have had a 'chance' and have proved they are not good enough. I have a lot of respect for guys like Stevenson, however he just isn't good enough. There is no point in listing his faults but the times he has been in the team have shown what is wrong.
    I''l admit I'm disappointed that we are going to be relying quite heavily on the likes of Stevenson, Sproule, Wotherspoon and so on - I thought the scale of the rebuild would have been a liltte bigger this season.

Thge signings have been good ones but barely get us back to where we were at the end of last season. The likes of Doherty, Soares, Osbourne and O'Connor would walk back in to that team.

stevenson has imo has suffered from a succession of managers who have made little impact on the development of the players at the club, remeber he picked up the man of the match award in a 5-1 cup final win. he might not be a very good player but then who else are we going to get for his wages? esp a player that tries as hard as he does? wotherspoon has a load of caps at under 21 but imo has suffered from the same lack of guidance to help make the step up to the first team

stevenson has imo has suffered from a succession of managers who have made little impact on the development of the players at the club, remeber he picked up the man of the match award in a 5-1 cup final win. he might not be a very good player but then who else are we going to get for his wages? esp a player that tries as hard as he does? wotherspoon has a load of caps at under 21 but imo has suffered from the same lack of guidance to help make the step up to the first team
    There were some "very good players" in that cup final win so how does someone who is (as you say) "not very good" pick up a MoM award when we played well as a team on that day?

Think you are spot on with the lack of any professional guidance at the club - our players show promise as youngsters and then fail to develop properly for some reason...some good lads at the club could have turned out to be really good players, but we fail them as a club.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    And your point is
    in response to, "It's preseason and people are writing off Hibs as relegation fodder already.".

I think you're trolling rather than being truly confused. But since it's not obvious to you I shall explain.

The season has not even started yet. The building of the team, as far as we know, has not finished yet. We've played a couple of pre-season fixtures and on the basis of that there are people who are condemning Hibs to the first division. Should we not :
    1. wait until the season starts so we know who our first 11 is?
    2. see how Hibs perform during the actual season?
    3. see how the competition stacks up against us?

For the amount of clairvoyents we have on the board we sure have a low percentage of lottery winners. ;)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Agreed but not just that. Given our last couple of seasons, why does anyone expect quality players to sign on the dotted line?

I read the same things year in and year out. "We need X players". "Why haven't we signed such and such?". In my mind it's not that simple. Just needing a player doesn't mean that we will automatically get one. And another thing. As fans we rarely agree about WHO we should bring in. I've seen many threads where people absolutely love a player and say we should walk over glass (exaggeration!) to sign him....and in the same thread there will be others who don't want him near the club. That was actually pretty close to what happened in the thread about Ozzie.