hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quite surprised at the reaction on here. We showed a lot more effort and determination last night than for most of last season, and made a decent attempt at keeping the ball on the deck instead of hoofing it forward all the time.

I'm still not particularly sold on this 4-2-3-1 formation as I think Sparky needs a strike partner, and as part of that Doyle is much better up front than playing on the left hand side of midfield. Stevenson and Claros as holding midfielders should really give a little more licence for the rest of the midfield to push forward a bit but Griffiths was pretty isolated on the whole.

Both goals were preventable, the first just being a bit of slack marking from a free kick on the right hand side so I'm sure that's something that will be worked on in training and will improve once the back four get used to Williams and vice-versa. The second one was a bit of a mess, the Union player didn't really seem to have any target in front of him but there seemed to be a bit of a mix up in defence and all of a sudden space opened up in front of him for a simple finish.

I'm sure it will have definitely been a good work out and there's a lot for PF to take from the game. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's far more worthwhile to play games like this rather than pumping some pub team.

The stadium and the whole set up is something else by the way. Union fans all over the place when we got off the train and they were great fun in the bars and in the ground (which is reached via a very scenic walk through a forest!). We didn't leave the ground until about 20 minutes after the game as the Union fans were all queuing up wanting photos with the Hibs fans and to cheer the Hibs players who were doing their warm down! Absolutely unreal experience, loved it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite surprised at the reaction on here. We showed a lot more effort and determination last night than for most of last season, and made a decent attempt at keeping the ball on the deck instead of hoofing it forward all the time.

I'm still not particularly sold on this 4-2-3-1 formation as I think Sparky needs a strike partner, and as part of that Doyle is much better up front than playing on the left hand side of midfield. Stevenson and Claros as holding midfielders should really give a little more licence for the rest of the midfield to push forward a bit but Griffiths was pretty isolated on the whole.

Both goals were preventable, the first just being a bit of slack marking from a free kick on the right hand side so I'm sure that's something that will be worked on in training and will improve once the back four get used to Williams and vice-versa. The second one was a bit of a mess, the Union player didn't really seem to have any target in front of him but there seemed to be a bit of a mix up in defence and all of a sudden space opened up in front of him for a simple finish.

I'm sure it will have definitely been a good work out and there's a lot for PF to take from the game. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's far more worthwhile to play games like this rather than pumping some pub team.

The stadium and the whole set up is something else by the way. Union fans all over the place when we got off the train and they were great fun in the bars and in the ground (which is reached via a very scenic walk through a forest!). We didn't leave the ground until about 20 minutes after the game as the Union fans were all queuing up wanting photos with the Hibs fans and to cheer the Hibs players who were doing their warm down! Absolutely unreal experience, loved it.
    Liar! You've been here since 2002, you know better.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quite surprised at the reaction on here.
    Why? Obviously punters who followed the game on Twitter (if that) will know better than anyone who was there.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Why? Obviously punters who followed the game on Twitter (if that) will know better than anyone who was there.
    I was not there, but if he's anywhere near as pished as he was on wednesday at the Lierse game, i'd take a twitter report over his all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I was not there, but if he's anywhere near as pished as he was on wednesday at the Lierse game, i'd take a twitter report over his all day long.
    Works wonders when I actually remember to have something to eat while boozing

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The same team beat Hearts 4-0 in a PRE SEASON FRIENDLY last year.

Let's not be overreacting. A 2-0 defeat isn't great but it is a friendly so let's not be giving it talk of 'relegation' and 'getting worse'. Not many of us saw the game so how people can make comments on the performance etc based on a few Twitter updates is beyond me.
    Well said pal

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_hfc3 View Post
    Well said pal
    I don't think it's about one game. If you look at pre-sesaon in total we have, in five games, scored 7 and conceded 4. Take out the games against amateurs/semi-pros then we have scored 1 and conceded 4 in 3 games.

These results perfectly describe a team that looks brutal from middle to front. We need to turn into a lean, mean scoring machine and I can't see that happening with our existing squad of heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    I don't think it's about one game. If you look at pre-sesaon in total we have, in five games, scored 7 and conceded 4. Take out the games against amateurs/semi-pros then we have scored 1 and conceded 4 in 3 games.

These results perfectly describe a team that looks brutal from middle to front. We need to turn into a lean, mean scoring machine and I can't see that happening with our existing squad of heroes.
    Fair enough. Then again, how many lean, mean scoring machines are we going to be up against in the SPL? In these matches you mention, we've played against a decent level of opposition. Pre-season is all about the team gelling and trying out a few things. Let's see how we fare once we kick off the season before raising the white flag.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyK View Post
    Fair enough. Then again, how many lean, mean scoring machines are we going to be up against in the SPL? In these matches you mention, we've played against a decent level of opposition. Pre-season is all about the team gelling and trying out a few things. Let's see how we fare once we kick off the season before raising the white flag.
    I'd rather see Hibs get progressively better rather than relying on the other teams getting worse. There's no evidence to suggest of that happening at the moment.

I'd rather see Hibs get progressively better rather than relying on the other teams getting worse. There's no evidence to suggest of that happening at the moment.
    So would we all. I've only seen the East Fife match and some highlights from HibsTv for pre-season, so I couldnae say definitively how well or otherwise we have done. I do, however, think we seem to be trying to increase the quality of the football on offer. That may not always result in the goals that it deserves, but I do think it's a path we should persevere down. Aye we're not firing on all cylinders in the final third at the moment, but I'm hoping with a wee bit work, and a better understanding of the system we can rectify that.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

How big was the crowd and how many Hibs fans? Sounds like a cracking trip.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    The season hasn't even started so I would say there is no evidence of anything at all.\

That reminds me to watch Minority Report again.

Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post
    How big was the crowd and how many Hibs fans? Sounds like a cracking trip.
    Crowd was 4,800 (although it looked more than that) with 30-50 Hibs fans. There are some crowd shots on the Union Berlin website here.

Crowd was 4,800 (although it looked more than that) with 30-50 Hibs fans. There are some crowd shots on the Union Berlin website here.
    There looked to be over 100 Hibs fans in the crowd. from my vantage point, there were fans behind both goals, Some in the top corner, the group with the flags at the front, just along from them was a couple of Hibees (one had a German name on the back of his top) and then further along there was a few more.

FC Union-Berlin are hoping to be challenging for promotion this season and their budget is close to that of a top end English Championship side. I wish them well for the season.

'S' Form
    Thanks to all the Hibees I met on Tues. Enjoyed your company. The Union Berlin fans really are something else so I knew it was always going to be a great evening.
    Don't fret over the scoreline, plenty to play for when the real action starts.
    Its a good few years since I've been up to Easter Road but going to try to get up for a game this year if at all possible. All the very best for the coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by cabletoffee View Post
    Thanks to all the Hibees I met on Tues. Enjoyed your company. The Union Berlin fans really are something else so I knew it was always going to be a great evening.
    Don't fret over the scoreline, plenty to play for when the real action starts.
    Its a good few years since I've been up to Easter Road but going to try to get up for a game this year if at all possible. All the very best for the coming season.
    You must be the Everton fan I spoke with at that bar near the station, it was nice speaking to you....Would be good to see you at Easter Road...
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    My ugly coupon is close up on shot 62. And I never wear a scarf so maybe there were 31 - 51 Hibbies there?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    My ugly coupon is close up on shot 62. And I never wear a scarf so maybe there were 31 - 51 Hibbies there?

Funnily enough, I'm in that one as well....I'm in the numpty in the (McEwan Fraser) Hibs top!

Can't see any of me and fellow numptys in the home end . The match day experience over there is fantastic. Can see now why folk rave about the football in Germany. Beer throughout, terracing an BBQ at half time. Tremendous