hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, yeah, so what are you doing about it now? Or do you think harping on about failures at every possible juncture is going to help the matter?

It's very simple, there's an opportunity now to help or not, there's no room any more for complaining about what's been.
    So what do you expect that'll be achieved through this bi-annual begging ritual? The only one that ever worked was SUABC & that was because there was a team on the park that attracted the custom. What it shows, as a board they have the imagination of a fruit fly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It has become clear that we have a number of "supporters" who will watch fitba in this country wither and die without them lifting a finger.

That's their prerogative but maybe it's time for them to take a break from all things Hibs and stop dragging the rest of us down with them.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    With this great loss of income, has the TV companies already pulled out? Surely Hibs are big enough to survive the loss of two home games against Rangers, well, I'll put it another way, they should have been.

I'm sorry, I've seen those sort of statements from Rod Petrie since Alex McLeish was manager. The way to get people through the turnstiles is by giving them a product that's worth watching & no amount of emotional blackmail will alter that.

Hibs have a hard core of die hards and they will turn up, the rest need to be wooed by what's on offer on the park. The reason we are in the total mess we are, financial and otherwise, has nothing to do with Rangers, but very much to do with our own boardroom.

To me this is just another pathetic & doomed attempt to draw money from the fans, to hide the inadequacies of a board, who have failed miserably to attract revenue by conventional means. People would be far more likely of buying into this appeal, if it wasn't made by the same old inadequate's making the same old plea's, after making the same old failures.
    That about sums it up for me too. Give us some more cash so we can buy some more diddy players, appoint more diddy managers etc. etc. oh and I'll be along same time, same place next year to fleece you all again.

Rod, just **** off and move on!

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    That comes down in a large way to how many fans buy season tickets.

We want to be a big team, we need to be a big support.
    What made you change your mind, Matty? You've been 'demanding' investment in the playing squad to encourage ST sales in both January and early post-season IIRC.

I've renewed but IMHO the club have done little to encourage those supporters choosing not renew because the performances have been dismal for a few seasons (the Sevco decision was primarily to stop an catastrophic collapse in existing ST holder numbers as opposed to getting a lot more STs sold IMHO). While a lot of what Rodders said about the financial implications is evidently true (although I still think there is a ton of scaremongering going on), it might have had a bigger impact if "we're a family/we're in it together/we need you/etc etc" hadn't already been the default marketing idea for the last decade.
    Last edited by Beefster; 19-07-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Cabbage Kid View Post
    well said rod!

i would buy a ST if i wasnt in another counrty! grrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Mikey - I've posted a link to the thread on the new H.I.B.S. overseas forum so hopefully we can help with contributions http://hibs-world.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=10

I'll kick start it with 2 tickets

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin07 View Post
    Many people said they would buy a season ticket if newco were in Div 3 and have now changed the goalposts saying they will only buy if they improve the team, then it will be if we win our first derby match etc etc.
    Many possibly did, but many more were just for walking away altogether. Season tickets has been a small side issue (from the supporters perspective) in this whole sorry mess. A mess which is still a long long way from being resolved.

The season ticket issue is a very complex one. You charge as much as you can when you're on a high but have to be prepared to price accordingly when you're on a low. For Hibs to continue to lose season ticket holders year in year out (even on the back of a cup final deal for tickets) then the pricing and marketing (in conjunction with team performance) is simply wrong. Playing the loyalty/guilt card will work to a certain extent but you have to know your customers, and gauage the market, if you want them to return.
    Last edited by StevieC; 19-07-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    Many possibly did, but many more were just for walking away altogether. Season tickets has been a small side issue (from the supporters perspective) in this whole sorry mess. A mess which is still a long long way from being resolved.

The season ticket issue is a very complex one. You charge as much as you can when you're on a high but have to be prepared to price accordingly when you're on a low. For Hibs to continue to lose season ticket holders year in year out (even on the back of a cup final deal for tickets) then the pricing and marketing (in conjunction with team performance) is simply wrong. Playing the loyalty/guilt card will work to a certain extent but you have to know your customers, and gauage the market, if you want to them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Okay, but how many times are you going to keep saying it? Time to move on and help out if you can. If you can't maybe this isn't the place to keep saying it.
    This is most certainly the place to say it Andy.

Left by mutual consent!
    Well, imho these folk need to get over it or they're going to see some very difficult times. This is a donation. We are giving the club the finance it needs to not only flourish, but to survive.
    This situation is, again only imho, exactly what will sum up who the supporters are. It needs to be an emotional decision now. You need to get over the fact we have been s***e for two or three years and understand how essential your season ticket money is to the club.

3000 is the minimum we need, that's a huge number but we have shown in the past we can bring in large season tickwt numbers.
    Support your club.
    Well then Matty we are indeed in for more hard times as imo people will now not just give out money, I do not need to get over anything I havent said I will not go or pay money, these people do not need to get over anything they have every right to get ebery pennys worth of what they spend.

It is good to be able to just spend money on something and hope not everyone can do that or feel that is right.

Perhaps if a ST was £200 then maybe a lot more folk would buy one looking to help club along with getting value for money, maybe £400 is to much for many no matter the product. I am sure there is a point you would think it is not worth that amont for a ST, well maybe the folk who need to get over it are at that with £400+
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 19-07-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by York Hibees View Post
    No surprises in the statement but the only thing that will put bums on seats is improved results / performances on the pitch.

If true, then people have missed the point about the situation that faces us.

We, as fans, asked for Rangers to be forced to start again in the 3rd division. There are obvious financial implications of doing so.

This goes way beyond the quality of the current team or what was on display the last few years. This is way beyond the "I've backed the club before and they've let me down" argument.

This is the future of Hibs and Scottish Football we need to now protect.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 19-07-2012 at 11:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    I'll be renewing two at the weekend now that the huns have been reasonably dealt with (or as reasonably as we could expect - still think they have got off lightly).

On the site there's no mention of the offer to ST holders of free tickets for home OF matches - I never expected that offer to be all it was cracked up to be as I doubted the huns would be let back in, but is the extra ticket to celtc games still part of the package?
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    If true, then peole have missed the point about the situation that faces us.

We, as fans, asked for Rangers to be forced to start again in the 3rd division. There are obvious financial implications of doing so.

This goes way beyond the quality of the current team or what was on display the last few years. This is way beyond the "I've backed the club before and they've let me down" argument.

If fans of other SPL teams don't show up in good numbers next season then frankly it will look as if the whole no to newco effort was based on people hating Rangers more than they care for their own team.

Do you think there's still time to apologise and ask Rangers back into the fold? Well, if folk are holding back and waiting for the silky soccer to return, we might as well.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar

Not surprisingly, this has quickly descended into an utterly depressing thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Baybee View Post
    The club only functions because of the fans so of course he's going to ask them to contribute if we want to see it improve.

We should consider Hibs like a charity (my opinion) - we put money in for a good cause & not for what we get back in return. I'm happy to buy a season to support the club financially even though I won't make many games as I currently working away.
    Well, imho these folk need to get over it or they're going to see some very difficult times. This is a donation. We are giving the club the finance it needs to not only flourish, but to survive.
    I completely understand the predicament that the club (and Scottish football) finds itself in - but this is really a step too far.

So within our personal budget which might well have an allowance for charitable giving, we are to weigh up whether to give that to:

• a hospital for sick children;
    • bringing fresh water to a village in Central Africa;
    • food and supplies for the latest famine in East Africa; or
    • paying the salary of a Hibs footballer on £1,500 per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post

If fans of other SPL teams don't show up in good numbers next season then frankly it will look as if the whole no to newco effort was based on people hating Rangers more than they care for their own team.
    Which is what odious little cretins like Jim Traynor have been saying all along. How depressing that there's even a chance that he may be right.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post

In a nutshell. The statement is spot on and i feel it reflects on how at least some of the fans throuout the SPL feel right now. Forget the chicken and egg crap now is the time to support our club and ensure they come out of this mess in a better place than most and if we do this glory isnt far around the corner imo.

Left by mutual consent!
    If true, then peole have missed the point about the situation that faces us.

It does go way beyond that but I think that people who feel that way or are in that position have basically renewed. I do not think anything other than signings to whet appetite will bring in anything like the 3000 the club is looking for. I am not saying it is right or wrong but we are not going to sell 3000 tickets on sentiment if not sold by now. Difficult situation to attract 3000 fans without the 3000 fans money.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    It does go way beyond that but I think that people who feel that way or are in that position have basically renewed. I do not think anything other than signings to whet appetite will bring in anything like the 3000 the club is looking for. I am not saying it is right or wrong but we are not going to sell 3000 tickets on sentiment if not sold by now. Difficult situation to attract 3000 fans without the 3000 fans money.
    Perhaps they have, but I can't see anything wrong with Petrie laying it on the line as to what the current situation is. If it helps people to see the seriousness of the situation and even some then go out and support the club through buying a Season Ticket, then all the better.

I, for one, have previously stated that the Season Tickets I normally buy for two members of my family would only be purchased when it was absolutely definite that 'Rangers' would not be playing any higher than the 3rd division. I have stuck by my pledge and have now ordered the tickets. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Others have stated on this very thread that they are prepared to answer the call by buying Season Tickets. I'm sure there are others that, while not buying a ST, will attempt to get to as many games as they can. Surely that's no bad thing?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    This is most certainly the place to say it Andy.
    To achieve what? We've heard it all, it's now time to back the club or don't but actively working against what the club is trying to do by continuing to lay blame and complain about the past is not what's needed.

The only thing I would say is that if there wasn't so much ****ing about by the SPL and SFA we wouldn't be in this position 2 weeks before the start of the season.

Between 14 feb and 19 May this was likely to be the case and if it wasn't their should have been work done on some of the main scenarios and provisions put in place to make decisions as soon as possible after the season.

It's been weeks since the decision to kb rangers admin offer so the decision should have been taken immediately after that.

Also, rangers haven't gone to the third division. They're gone with a new club in the same guise in the third.

Left by mutual consent!
    Perhaps they have, but I can't see anything wrong with Petrie laying it on the line as to what the current situation is. If it helps people to see the seriousness of the situation and even some then go out and support the club through buying a Season Ticket, then all the better.

I, for one, have previously stated that the Season Tickets I normally buy for two members of my family would only be purchased when it was absolutely definite that 'Rangers' would not be playing any higher than the 3rd division. I have stuck by my pledge and have now ordered the tickets. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Others have stated on this very thread that they are prepared to answer the call by buying Season Tickets. I'm sure there are others that, while not buying a ST, will attempt to get to as many games as they can. Surely that's no bad thing?

I agree but I still think like all supports the vast majority of that 3000 are looking for footballing reasons to get on board and may well think it will all be ok anyways. Maybe the statement gets 500 Sts in and that gets the ball rolling to look at a signing to maybe get in more.

Left by mutual consent!
    To achieve what? We've heard it all, it's now time to back the club or don't but actively working against what the club is trying to do by continuing to lay blame and complain about the past is not what's needed.
    Andy it is a messageboard, you have made 100s of posts on things that cannot be changed but you had/have an opinion I have mine it will be put on here when I see fit exactly as you and 100s do. Never mentioned a player or manager after gone when nothing can be done? I think not.

It is very needed as I think the past is why we are looking for 3000+ ST holders.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Who else was supposed to make the decision? Only the SFL has the power to accept or reject applications to the SFL.
    The SFA and SPL were bending over backwards to get newhun into Div1 and put a disgraceful amount of pressure on them to do it. The SFL gave the SPL and SFA the middle finger and told them where to go.They were not voted into Div 1 but told to start at Div3

If only you had had that attitude when you were still in the throes of your John Hughes man-crush.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    It was never about Rangers situation for me. I have said since the end of last season that I would only renew if they improved the team. I think after the last few seasons and that cup final, they owe the supporters.
    This is where i disagree with things. Individuals at a club will change, the board are irrelevant to me, I dont go to cheer or boo them, I go to follow the football club, something which is far bigger than any player, board member or owner will ever be...and i dont care if we sign messi with the 3000 ST, its still the same.

Hibernian FC in my opinion owes the fans nothing, it is never a case of what 'someone is due', its not a debt or a trade, you support the team you were brought up support. That support should be unconditional in my view.

If people can afford it they need to put there money where there mouth is. I find it hard to believe that some folk are happy to line the pockets of SKY rather than contribute to their own team. Justifying it with the fact they can watch some hibs games on TV, read about them on here, but watch the EPL, and spanish football to the detriment of Hibs. These leagues have a better standard largely as a result of TV money, but it all starts from a fan base. Unless we have that we cant as a club or a league build on things.

The board has made a big decision on the back of the fans view about rangers, supporting the view of the supporter, in turn i think they club should be supported to help take advantage of the position which has been created. I fear that the reality is hertz as always will sell a lot more ST than us, and use that to push for a second place finish, perhaps again proving why they say they are the Big Team.

I dont buy this 'chicken and egg' sh!$3, again it comes down to supporting your team, the glory hunter mentality was never installed in me as a child, and i see nothing in my time supporting hibs that should have changed that.

Well said Rod, I am sure there has been plenty of hard decision to make, you have made them in the interest of the club, and I hope we manage to get more the fans that came out for the cup final turning up during the more important week in week out games.

If you can't afford a ST then donating anything you can to Kicks for Kids could help as well - I know I will be once pay day arrives!

The message clearly is still not getting through to many, which is worrying - people obviously believe that they have very valid reasons for not trusting Petrie and the information that he is giving out, but I would hope that supporting OUR football club would mean more to some people than trying to get a message across to our chairman.

Rightly or wrongly, we are where we are - we cannot afford to have a sense of entitlement about the team on the park here, as we cannot have it both ways, sadly. Yes the board have made mistakes but the latest situation we find ourselves in is not of their doing - we have suffered from Rangers cheating for a number of years and that is not fair, but what is even more unfair is that we will suffer further without them in the SPL unless the supporters who can afford to buy a ST do just that.

The next month or so could define just how big a club we are for the next few years, it is that critical - unfortunately some people seem to care more about punishing a board of directors than they do about supporting Hibs, and everything we are.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    The message clearly is still not getting through to many, which is worrying - people obviously believe that they have very valid reasons for not trusting Petrie and the information that he is giving out, but I would hope that supporting OUR football club would mean more to some people than trying to get a message across to our chairman.

Rightly or wrongly, we are where we are - we cannot afford to have a sense of entitlement about the team on the park here, as we cannot have it both ways, sadly. Yes the board have made mistakes but the latest situation we find ourselves in is not of their doing - we have suffered from Rangers cheating for a number of years and that is not fair, but what is even more unfair is that we will suffer further without them in the SPL unless the supporters who can afford to buy a ST do just that.

The next month or so could define just how big a club we are for the next few years, it is that critical - unfortunately some people seem to care more about punishing a board of directors than they do about supporting Hibs, and everything we are.
    I think the message is getting through I think the people whom have STs are more supporters than I am 100% but there is a filter that goes from them to folk who have no intention of going no matter what. I believe that there are 1000s that think all will be ok anyways and will only go if team is good, that wether we like it or not is where the aim should be people will take the risk that all will be ok.

People swithering due to value will only kick themselves if the club went bust while the club is going 1000s will be in that position of waiting for a good team to watch. I naver said that is me it is my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    What made you change your mind, Matty? You've been 'demanding' investment in the playing squad to encourage ST sales in both January and early post-season IIRC.

I've renewed but IMHO the club have done little to encourage those supporters choosing not renew because the performances have been dismal for a few seasons (the Sevco decision was primarily to stop an catastrophic collapse in existing ST holder numbers as opposed to getting a lot more STs sold IMHO). While a lot of what Rodders said about the financial implications is evidently true (although I still think there is a ton of scaremongering going on), it might have had a bigger impact if "we're a family/we're in it together/we need you/etc etc" hadn't already been the default marketing idea for the last decade.
    I changed my mind when I saw up close how bad our financial position is, and also how that has been compounded with the Sevco situation.
    I would say, though, that I have never changed my opinion that supporters should be helping the club out when times are bad.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net