hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Wimbledon

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I totally agree with everything that you've just said there Andy!

I just don't agree that, having taken the decision to put Murray on Court 1 today, he should have been put on Centre Court at 8pm tonight to try and finish the match.

Youl no be sayin that when am talking Arsenal nixt season

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I here what your saying FH, I do, But the fact remains..Andy Murray should have been on centre court today and Djokovic on court 1...They knew the situation regarding the weather..They must have known full bloody well Murray wasn't going to finish his match whilst giving the best player in the world a game under the roof to guarantee his match to completion..I here what your saying I.E other players haven't finished there matches also, But surely to god look after your own, Get Murray through as soon as possible..They also knew Cilic had went 5 sets and 5 hours and was on fumes but have now gave him the chance to come back revitalised.

Like you say the weather may disrupt games in the next few days, But the obvious, The glaringly obvious was to get Andy on and off the court against a beaten Cilic who has just been 5 hours and 5 sets in quick time as possible whilst making Novak come back tomorrow in the rain.

Staggered and dumbfounded.
    Just playing Devil's advocate but ironic how we are all against the club formally known as Rangers getting special treatment but we want Murray to get special treatment as he is at home.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Just playing Devil's advocate but ironic how we are all against the club formally known as Rangers getting special treatment but we want Murray to get special treatment as he is at home.
    Andy Murray's not cheated his way through to the last 16 though, been kicked out of Wimbledon and wanting to be reinstated at the semi final stage, when everyone else still has their quarter finals to play.

All we're asking is that, by the time it gets to the last 16 stage of Wimbledon, and he's playing against some top players, he will be playing on the Centre Court.

It's not even an advantage that I'm proposing that he gets, just a slight edge over his opponents that may or may not go on to help him.

Weather permitting, Andy Murray will restart his match against Marin Cilic at 12pm tomorrow on Court 1.

However the weather in the Wimbledon area tomorrow is supposed to be just as bad, if not worse, as it was today so the chances are, Murray is going to be in for another frustrating afternoon and there is a danger that he might not even get finished tomorrow either!

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Weather permitting, Andy Murray will restart his match against Marin Cilic at 12pm tomorrow on Court 1.

However the weather in the Wimbledon area tomorrow is supposed to be just as bad, if not worse, as it was today so the chances are, Murray is going to be in for another frustrating afternoon and there is a danger that he might not even get finished tomorrow either!
    Still think it's bonkers that Murray's match wasn't at least shunted on to Centre tonight after Djoko finished his match. Yes it might be unfair on the rest of the competition, but if you can get another match out of the way that will draw a crowd on Centre then why not go for it? As you say, Murray may not even finish the match tomorrow if it goes to 5 sets, whilst his next opponent (either Del Potro or Ferrer) have the luxury of playing on Centre knowing that their match will be completed no matter how long it takes.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    No longer watching Wimbledon now Ivanovic and Sharapova are out

Whats the point?
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Murray's match is suspended due to rain. Why is he not on centre? Why is he not being allowed to finish his match which is already in progress whilst Del Potro and Ferrer get to play under the roof when their match hasn't even started.

Absolutely appalling decision by the folks at Wimbledon.

Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post

Whats the point?
    Watch Lisicki?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Hibby View Post
    Watch Lisicki?
    Indeed, what a pair of pins!

moooray

It's really Florian Mayer and Richard Gasquet that I feel sorry for. They are both in the same half of the draw as Mikhail Youzhny, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic who all played, and finished, yesterday and therefore have a free day today to rest.

At least with Murray's half of the draw, no-one has finished their last 16 matches yet, although I accept that Ferrer and Del Potro are guaranteed to reach a conclusion today, whereas Murray/Cilic, Baker/Kohlschreiber and Tsonga/Fish are not.

The covers are back off again now so Murray should be back on for the third time in this match very shortly.

Let's hope he gets a bit longer than 15 minutes this time!

Murray takes the second set, 6-2.

David Ferrer in the form of his life so far this Wimbledon. Making a former Grand Slam champion (FH will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure) look like an absolute mug on centre court.

Quite refreshing to see a "wee" guy do so well.

Murray safely through, 7-5 6-2 6-3!

Great to get through today and without having to do an awful lot to progress.

Murray looked good today, seemed to step up a gear, could be a struggle v Ferrer though.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    David Ferrer in the form of his life so far this Wimbledon. Making a former Grand Slam champion (FH will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure) look like an absolute mug on centre court.

Quite refreshing to see a "wee" guy do so well.
    No, you're spot on.

Del Potro won the 2009 US Open against Roger Federer.

Ferrer would definitely be the favourite for this match though. He is the number five in the world and just made the semi finals of the French Open a few weeks ago. Del Potro is getting back close to where he was about 3 or 4 years ago but he's not quite there yet.

There's also been a bit of a shock with Florian Mayer beating Richard Gasquet in 4 sets today. Mayer will now have the simple task of playing Novak Djokovic tomorrow in the quarter finals!

Brilliant win for David Ferrer today, beating Juan Martin Del Potro 6-3 6-2 6-3.

He'll now face Andy Murray tomorrow in the pick of the quarter finals.

Tough task for Murray here, although I don't think too much can be taken from Ferrer's big win over Murray a few weeks ago at Roland Garros.

They've never met on grass before and although their head-to-heads are tied at 5-5, four of those victories for Ferrer have come on his favoured clay surface.

I think Murray will start as the favourite tomorrow, although he should not underestimate the ability of David Ferrer and I'm sure he won't.

Another result just in and it's a straights sets victory for Philipp Kohlschreiber against Brian Baker.

He will now face the winner of the final last 16 tie still to be decided, between Mardy Fish and Jo Wilfried Tsonga. Tsonga leads two sets to one just now and is 3-2 up in the fourth.

So it looks like Fish, the last remaining American left in the draw, will be going out and it will be Tsonga who will face Kohlschreiber tomorrow instead of Rafael Nadal.

I'm sure he would have settled for that quarter final match up at the start of the tournament!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Another result just in and it's a straights sets victory for Philipp Kohlschreiber against Brian Baker.

He will now face the winner of the final last 16 tie still to be decided, between Mardy Fish and Jo Wilfried Tsonga. Tsonga leads two sets to one just now and is 3-2 up in the fourth.

So it looks like Fish, the last remaining American left in the draw, will be going out and it will be Tsonga who will face Kohlschreiber tomorrow instead of Rafael Nadal.

I'm sure he would have settled for that quarter final match up at the start of the tournament!

You're doing a great job down there, Falkirk.

WAY ahead of the BBC's "experts".

Any chance of you and McEnroe doing the men's final?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    You're doing a great job down there, Falkirk.

WAY ahead of the BBC's "experts".

Any chance of you and McEnroe doing the men's final?
    I wouldn't like to show up the so call expert pundits!

Anyway, I'd be much better at writing up a tennis report than I would be at doing a live commentary!

Might try and nick the guy's job that does the live updates throughout the day on the BBC website!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Brilliant win for David Ferrer today, beating Juan Martin Del Potro 6-3 6-2 6-3.

He'll now face Andy Murray tomorrow in the pick of the quarter finals.

Tough task for Murray here, although I don't think too much can be taken from Ferrer's big win over Murray a few weeks ago at Roland Garros.

They've never met on grass before and although their head-to-heads are tied at 5-5, four of those victories for Ferrer have come on his favoured clay surface.

I think Murray will start as the favourite tomorrow, although he should not underestimate the ability of David Ferrer and I'm sure he won't.
    Yep the Murray/Ferrer game will be a classic however fancy Murray to win it on grass. Can see it being a bit similar to when they met in the Aussie Open a few years back with Murray in 4 after losing the first. Important Murray serves well that is for sure.

That's the men's quarter final line up complete now as Jo Wilfried Tsonga has just beaten Mardy Fish 4-6 7-6 6-4 6-4.

So tomorrow, we will have;

Roger Federer vs Mikhail Youzhny
    Andy Murray vs David Ferrer
    Novak Djokovic vs Florian Mayer
    Jo Wilfried Tsonga vs Philipp Kohlschreiber

I don't think there should really be any argument over who will win three of those four matches, although if Roger Federer's back problem flares up again then he may struggle a bit against Youzhny but that's really the only encouragement that I would give to the Russian.

The one match that MAY go the full distance is the Murray-Ferrer match and I hope that could well be a classic.

In the women's draw, Serena Williams has booked her place in the semi finals by beating last year's champion Petra Kvitova, 6-3 7-5.

Angelique Kerber took the first set against Sabine Lisicki and Agnieszka Radwanska is serving for the first set against Maria Kirilenko.

Tamira Paszek and Victoria Azarenka are yet to begin their match.

Great match between the two Germans, Kerber takes the 3rd set 7 5 to clinch the match.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Great match between the two Germans, Kerber takes the 3rd set 7 5 to clinch the match.
    It was a great match, thought Kerber was going to "choke" after losing those match points in the second set but it was Lisicki who caved after serving for the match at 5-3 in the decider.

It was another great match on Court 1 as well between Agnieszka Radwanska and Maria Kirilenko before the rain arrived once again when it was 4-4 in the decider.

Shaping up to be another good match just now on Centre between Victoria Azarenka and Tamira Paszek. Azarenka won the opener 6-3 but it's currently on serve in the second set with Azarenka serving at 2-3.

Azarenka finally wins 6-3 7-6 and will play Serena Williams on Thursday in the semi finals.

Centre Court will see a fifth match of the day as Agnieszka Radwanska and Maria Kirilenko will play to a finish.

Play begins at 4-4 in the final set.

Radwanska beats Kirilenko 7-5 in the third set.

Women's semi final line up on Thursday is;

Serena Williams vs Victoria Azarenka
    Agnieszka Radwanska vs Angelique Kerber

Murray on second tomorrow on Centre Court against David Ferrer after Roger Federer vs Mikhail Youzhny.

That should mean that Murray is on court at around 3pm.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Murray will beat Ferrer on Grass.

Its 5-5 head to head but Ferrer has won 4 on clay.

No danger Murray is losing tomorrow, Onwards and upwards for the semis even if the officials did make a complete and utter hash of it.

Andy Murray WILL be in that semi final of that i give my own personal guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Murray will beat Ferrer on Grass.

Its 5-5 head to head but Ferrer has won 4 on clay.

No danger Murray is losing tomorrow, Onwards and upwards for the semis even if the officials did make a complete and utter hash of it.

Andy Murray WILL be in that semi final of that i give my own personal guarantee.
    I would certainly hope so.

I fully expect the semi final line up to be;

Roger Federer vs Novak Djokovic
    Andy Murray vs Jo Wilfried Tsonga

You never know though!

Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post

Whats the point?

None, if your only rationale for watching wimbledon is perving at the women players