hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax

New Player Initiation

I've said this on a couple of other threads but I guess I like the sound of my own voice and like to feel self-important so I am going to start a whole thread for you to ignore as well. :D

What do people think about getting the new squad of players and putting them through some sort of boot camp training with the Army? I don't know the logistics but I am assuming it can be done. Hell, maybe even get some ex-serviceman employed at the club to work on discipline and make sure that no players take the piss. Attending this boot camp would be a condition of employment. Not sure if two weeks of brutal training would be too much for some players but there's a reason it's so damn tough (spoken as one who has never been anywhere near the Army). You can learn a lot about a person from this sort of exercise. Obviously fitness is going to be tested to the max. Desire. Ability to overcome obstacles. Respect for authority.

Has this been tried before? Ideally we should be able to do this WITHOUT calling in the troops but desperate times call for desperate measures. I think I would call this "desperate times".

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    How about showing them orange, apple, pineapple and cranberry juice and telling them that they also serve not alcoholic drinks up town which in turn are quite good for you.

They did an army training day last season I think. The army probably wet themselves seeing that bunch of lard ***** lined up on the parade square.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Not into the whole army idea at all to be honest.

Yes, I want to see far more disciplined players on the pitch who want to play to their upmost best.

I don't however want us to turn them into machines that can't think for themselves.

Discipline is important, but so is free expression.

First Team Breakthrough
    How about sending our squad from this season to some far away place with angry natives and bring 16 decent guys home, who might appreciate it, and at least play for the colours.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Yes, I want to see far more disciplined players on the pitch who want to play to their upmost best.

I don't however want us to turn them into machines that can't think for themselves.

I agree with the freedom of expression part...of which, I believe, there is very little room in the armed forces (we want men and women who will follow orders without question since there is no time for debate on the battlefield).

The suggestion isn't to turn them into soldiers but to give them a kick up the erse. Of course, the players could simply stomach it for 2 weeks then go back to business as usual.

We definitely need them to think for themselves........but, and I only just thought of this, in some sports the players are kinda like robots e.g., NFL. Sure, there is some wiggle room but plays are drawn up and implemented like a chess match. Once the play is underway, and the longer it takes to unfold, players do need to be creative but generally speaking the players have a job to do (on each play) and they are expected to do it. No questions. I'm not making a comparison though because football is free-flowing whereas NFL is little more than a collection of separate plays.

I just want the guys to be put through their paces and start taking basic stuff, like training, seriously.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Yep, they're all killing machine drones who bayonet babies and are not capable of thinking for themselves.

Jeez, talk about cliches.

First Team Breakthrough keithkeith's Avatar
    DVD of Saturday

Doherty's interview

7-0 footage

Hands Off Hibs Mercer campaign footage

A talk from Lawrie Reilly

Then they can start training...hard...
    Last edited by keithkeith; 23-05-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Predictive text!

If hibs gave me a job, hm forces could kiss my backside. But all theyd end up good at is ironing their kit, maybe turn up with football boots you could see your own face in?

Alternatively, we could hire a coach educated in sports training who'd keep them in top condition all season. I've heard that many successful clubs do something of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    Alternatively, we could hire a coach educated in sports training who'd keep them in top condition all season. I've heard that many successful clubs do something of the sort.
    John collins mate proops was it?

One out of two would be an improvement at least.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Believe it or not, I'd suggested a Hibernian education for all players from Youths upwards to High-Fiveland.

They'd be made to take a class on the history of the club, it's successes, watch past glories and see interviews from fans of all ages on what Hibs means to them in their homes, lives, schools, places of work and for Johnnyboy; retirement homes.

They then would have to explain to a club official what they'd learned in an informal setting, specifying the elements of our culture that empathised with the player's own values and ambitions.

After that, they'd sit down with the manager and commit themselves to the cause.

Then they would be eligible for the first team.

Ridiculous I know, but I thought it a good idea at the time.

Good Idea!

Mibbe we could start with 3 weeks in Guantanamo Bay for the Cup Final team.

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Believe it or not, I'd suggested a Hibernian education for all players from Youths upwards to High-Fiveland.

They'd be made to take a class on the history of the club, it's successes, watch past glories and see interviews from fans of all ages on what Hibs means to them in their homes, lives, schools, places of work and for Johnnyboy; retirement homes.

They then would have to explain to a club official what they'd learned in an informal setting, specifying the elements of our culture that empathised with the player's own values and ambitions.

After that, they'd sit down with the manager and commit themselves to the cause.

and have them train at Easter Road at least once a week.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think that any new player needs to come in and have someone set the standards. It should be the manager and the captain, and then there's a responsibility on the rest of the players there to live and breath what is expected at the club.

I don't think we've had that for a while. I remember reading a piece about Darren Fletcher when he was talking about how he got an absolute roasting from Roy Keane for having his mobile phone at training (IIRC), and as I remember it the players had a standard where they were all ready to train 30 mins before they were scheduled to start.

Everyone knew the standards expected because the senior players demanded it, and they'd obviously had it hammered home by Fergie. This then creates the culture at the club and maintains it.

Fenlon needs to get players in that are respected by the other players, but also that have the balls to let their team mates know in no uncertain terms when standards haven't been met. We have to have folk putting everything into training so that when matchday comes they are first to each ball, they fight, and they work as hard as we demand them to.

As for the initiation, Fenlon's team absolutely has to have it drilled into them that the season is about beating Hearts, no matter what our results against them are a measure of the season. It's not just another game, it's not one to be approached hopefully, it's one where everything matters and one that must be won. Fenlon's mandate should be to establish Hibernian as the top team in Edinburgh. He's already made that task infinitely more difficult by taking a hiding in the cup final, so his mandate should also be to put that defeat to rights asap.

Everything about the club should demand success and endeavor.

Fenlon needs to lay the law down with his new squad - tell them what is expected and hammer to the full extent of the club's disciplinary policies anyone that falls short so that there's no doubt about how inflexible those standards are.

We looked less fit than almost every other team we played against - why is this? It's (IMHO) due to players not training well enough. There is NO excuse for not being able to match up physically against any other SPL side. We have one of the best training facilities and it should be used to its fullest potential. We should be the ones looking fitter. We need players and coaches telling players they need to run faster, longer, jump higher and all the rest of it to ensure nobody is just going through the motions.

There's a lot of work to be done, but if Fenlon gets the right people in and his hard enough with them in terms of laying down the law, he has a great opportunity to lay a marker down at the club for years to come.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I think that any new player needs to come in and have someone set the standards. It should be the manager and the captain, and then there's a responsibility on the rest of the players there to live and breath what is expected at the club.

I don't think we've had that for a while. I remember reading a piece about Darren Fletcher when he was talking about how he got an absolute roasting from Roy Keane for having his mobile phone at training (IIRC), and as I remember it the players had a standard where they were all ready to train 30 mins before they were scheduled to start.

Everyone knew the standards expected because the senior players demanded it, and they'd obviously had it hammered home by Fergie. This then creates the culture at the club and maintains it.

Fenlon needs to get players in that are respected by the other players, but also that have the balls to let their team mates know in no uncertain terms when standards haven't been met. We have to have folk putting everything into training so that when matchday comes they are first to each ball, they fight, and they work as hard as we demand them to.

As for the initiation, Fenlon's team absolutely has to have it drilled into them that the season is about beating Hearts, no matter what our results against them are a measure of the season.
    It's not just another game, it's not one to be approached hopefully, it's one where everything matters and one that must be won. Fenlon's mandate should be to establish Hibernian as the top team in Edinburgh. He's already made that task infinitely more difficult by taking a hiding in the cup final, so his mandate should also be to put that defeat to rights asap.

Everything about the club should demand success and endeavor.

Fenlon needs to lay the law down with his new squad - tell them what is expected and hammer to the full extent of the club's disciplinary policies anyone that falls short so that there's no doubt about how inflexible those standards are.

We looked less fit than almost every other team we played against - why is this? It's (IMHO) due to players not training well enough. There is NO excuse for not being able to match up physically against any other SPL side. We have one of the best training facilities and it should be used to its fullest potential. We should be the ones looking fitter. We need players and coaches telling players they need to run faster, longer, jump higher and all the rest of it to ensure nobody is just going through the motions.

There's a lot of work to be done, but if Fenlon gets the right people in and his hard enough with them in terms of laying down the law, he has a great opportunity to lay a marker down at the club for years to come.
    Good post. As to the bit on bold it works for a team if you win the derbies. Brings the fans onside and creates a platform to kick on. Couldn't agree more with that and have been saying so since they beat us in the Cup at ER a few years ago. Learn to beat them again, then kick on.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

I was speaking to Ivan in Shanghai after Ian Murray's testimonial and I asked him how he knew Gordon Hunter and a couple of the other ex players that he was chatting to and he said at that they are told all about the club when they join and meet ex players and legends etc. He mentioned that he was fully aware right from the start about our Scottish cup record, our history, about Hunter ending that run against Hearts and everything like that so it seems Hibs are already quite up to speed on that front.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Hibee View Post
    I was speaking to Ivan in Shanghai after Ian Murray's testimonial and I asked him how he knew Gordon Hunter and a couple of the other ex players that he was chatting to and he said at that they are told all about the club when they join and meet ex players and legends etc. He mentioned that he was fully aware right from the start about our Scottish cup record, our history, about Hunter ending that run against Hearts and everything like that so it seems Hibs are already quite up to speed on that front.
    Fiveland said it wouldn't work.

Curses!!!

Next time, Fiveland.....NEXT TIME!!