hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Fenlon

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdManRun View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were only 3 points behind Hearts because so few games had been played. Do you really think he took on a team that could compete with them? And their wage bill? We were on a downward spiral and were yet to hit rock bottom. I don't think many managers could turn that round straight away, it was always going to get worse before it got better.

I agree with the rest of your points about clearing out the playing staff.
    Exactly so few games played so PF is as responsible for our bad season as anyone. I never asked him to turn it around but I looked for some hopes and avoing going down with 2/3 games is not good enough. He had Januaray to tweak and still we struggled as a lot of those guys were no good.

The guy has 100% more passion than CC but that hasnt brought in lots of better players or stopped us having a terrible season. I do not see what PF brings to table to suggest he can improve things.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm sure that will be his aim for next season once he can shape his own team.

Im sure he wasnt told just to avoid relegation when he came but that is what has happened and that is not something to thank him for. He played a part in us having to avoid it.

Promising Youngster ThirdManRun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief..

St Mirren & St Johnstone were on the same points as Hearts at that time, i expect us to be able to compete with them.
    Yes.... As a club we should be bettering them regularly. My point is that it wasn't realistic for us to do that this season, with that squad, once Pat took over. Shouldn't judge this season in isolation. The problems at Hibs are chronic and that ain't Pat's fault.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    They were singing his praises sarcastically - "One Paddy Fenlon ... ". etc

He was wrong to react.
    PF did nothing to impress me yesterday afternoon. Set up, tactics, subs, even his body language and behaviour in the technical area all found wanting. He looked out of his depth.

I desperately want him to do well but he's not giving much cause for optimism.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yes.... As a club we should be bettering them regularly. My point is that it wasn't realistic for us to do that this season, with that squad, once Pat took over. Shouldn't judge this season in isolation. The problems at Hibs are chronic and that ain't Pat's fault.
    It was realistic to bring in a new manager better than CC and not fight relegation with 3 games left.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg

Exactly so few games played so PF is as responsible for our bad season as anyone. I never asked him to turn it around but I looked for some hopes and avoing going down with 2/3 games is not good enough. He had Januaray to tweak and still we struggled as a lot of those guys were no good.

The guy has 100% more passion than CC but that hasnt brought in lots of better players or stopped us having a terrible season. I do not see what PF brings to table to suggest he can improve things.
    If you think the problems with our club can be solved with a 'tweak' in a January transfer window, I'm astonished.

As I've said I have some doubts about Fenlon too and I think that's reasonable. What I can't understand is why people would want to change the manager again at this stage.

Left by mutual consent!
    If you think the problems with our club can be solved with a 'tweak' in a January transfer window, I'm astonished.

As I've said I have some doubts about Fenlon too and I think that's reasonable. What I can't understand is why people would want to change the manager again at this stage.
    Where did I say it could? He had the chance to make improvements and McPake aside I think the players have been poor. I never said he could change everything in January, he changed not a lot really and brought in dross.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg

Where did I say it could? He had the chance to make improvements and McPake aside I think the players have been poor. I never said he could change everything in January, he changed not a lot really and brought in dross.
    That's how I read it. The squad needs an overhaul and January was not the time to do it. I think Doherty was decent, and Doyle might yet be a player. Midfield was poor though and signings didn't help there. Again we've been soft in that area for years. Hopefully sort that out in the summer.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Here's my take on things.

There aren't lines of players pounding on Hibs door. Certainly not of the caliber required. We can't totally blame the manager for making poor signings if he doesnt have options. We're on a downward spiral. It's a vicious circle. Poor teams do not attract good players. Teams without good players generally don't do as well. Bad season. Manager fired. New guy in. Tries to change things, doesn't get it right immediately. Punted. It starts again.

To me there is only one way to reverse the trend. How do you get a good player into a crap team? You pay him. But where does the money come from.

It's an uphill battle for whomever is in charge.

Fenlon needs a proper transfer window to rebuild the squad before we can judge him. The options in January are very limited, and we were lucky to get McPake. More often the additions are disinterested fringe players like Soares or guys who don't have a team for good reason like Kujabi.

I'm sticking with Fenlon. We need some stability at the club and changing the man in charge will further destabilise us. Why should the players take any manager seriously when they know that he'll carry the can for a few bad performances by them? And then they will have no loyalty to the new man because he didn't sign them.

Coaching Staff
    That's why Pat should be given time. The spine of the team, keeper, centre backs, centre mid, striker, need completely strengthened, but with experience and more importantly players who are here for the long haul - Hibs, through form, have always been a 'temporary team' - loans, one year deals......get the spine of the team on 3 year deals....that sends a message that we are building a side. Supplement that with youth, creativity and pace.

The keepers, Brown and Stack - I'd release. Sadly the likes of Wotherspoon - just ain't working out for ya kid, you'll no doubt make it, but you've got the negative body language that tells me mentally you can't kick it. Hanlon - jury has and always will be out on Paul for me. Garry O - the message Hibs sent out when we took him back, is the wrong one - his past, sadly, should have meant he was both too risky to sign and let players know 'well they take him back, so I can test their limit too' - Totally accept I'll get his goals as an argument - but we have to think about discipline, the message it sends, and mentality. Leigh - absolutely terrific talent, but again, mentality wrong.....sends a wrong signal and can affect team morale.....I'm still in the 'sign him' camp, but he needs to mature, with good wise heads around the team.

Get a tight knit squad of 17......add in 6 of the young players, and you have the start of a real squad, with a bond, with a purpose. And the manager has to come out this week and say so.....a battle cry if you like. But a vision - I want to hear where he sees the actual football team failing. And I want 4 real marquee (in SPL terms) signings.....preferably as I say, dealing with the spine of the side.

And I want to see Harris, Stanton, Forster, Caldwell and Handling, in that side, competing, and giving the senior players something to think about.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Fenlon needs a proper transfer window to rebuild the squad before we can judge him. The options in January are very limited, and we were lucky to get McPake. More often the additions are disinterested fringe players like Soares or guys who don't have a team for good reason like Kujabi.

I'm sticking with Fenlon. We need some stability at the club and changing the man in charge will further destabilise us. Why should the players take any manager seriously when they know that he'll carry the can for a few bad performances by them? And then they will have no loyalty to the new man because he didn't sign them.
    We need stability but we need the right man, unfortunatly IMO we have the wrong man again and him having more time will see more trouble.

Next seasons goin to be pretty strange anyway, the huns cant sign anyone so will have to play most of there 19,s, herz are gettin rid of their 'top' earners, and might have to play most of their 19s or bargain basement players are theyr called now, dundee utd, aberdeen, st j, motherwell, all seem to be in the same sort of situation, cutting budgets, so we could actually do some good here depending on what players come in, making it a little more of an even playing field, so we need to give PF a chance and see how we start off the season think a lot more of the 19s will come in nxt year also.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Typically hibs. We get to the final against our rivals with a very poor makeshift squad much of which has been thrown together out of desperation in a January transfer window.

Hertz offload their top earners (no coincidence their best players...) in the summer but not before the biggest derby in over a century...

We may well win the cup eventually (blind optimism here admittedly) but pains me to think it probably won't be against that bunch...

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    Here's my take on things.

There aren't lines of players pounding on Hibs door. Certainly not of the caliber required. We can't totally blame the manager for making poor signings if he doesnt have options. We're on a downward spiral. It's a vicious circle. Poor teams do not attract good players. Teams without good players generally don't do as well. Bad season. Manager fired. New guy in. Tries to change things, doesn't get it right immediately. Punted. It starts again.

To me there is only one way to reverse the trend. How do you get a good player into a crap team? You pay him. But where does the money come from.

It's an uphill battle for whomever is in charge.
    But Motherwell,S Johnstone and Killie who all pay less than us can attract better quality player's, that must be down to the management

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post

ok then......if Fenlon has failed after 6 months working with the worst ibs squad in decades - having first taken time to clear out some deadwood and at least managed to save an SPL spot for us......and notwithstanding all the other predecessors who came with good CV's and "failed":

- who do you suggest we get?
    - How much will a reasonable salary be for him?
    - how long will you give him?
    - what players do you suggest we bring in/remove? and
    - what will our wages ceiling be?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post

Without those signings he made in January, i'm now convinced we'd have been relegated. I think he gambled on bringing in more loan players than is the norm, to 1 keep us up, and 2 give us the breathing space that gives us to start the rebuild thats obviously needed.

He got rid of a lot of players straight away, who were complete wasters and taking us down. The gamble worked and we stayed up, i think we all hoped and he probably did too that they'd be a bit better, and we'd not been in a relegation fight.

That was not the case though, but we did stay up, and had the added bonus of the cup final, although that does not feel like a bonus today, financially its given him a much better chance of bringing in better players next season.

Our club is in a real mess player wise, after the loans go back, whats left is relegation fodder. I think Fenlon can stop this, and address the situation, its going to take a lot of hard work though, but he deserves the chance to try and do it imo.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Without those signings he made in January, i'm now convinced we'd have been relegated. I think he gambled on bringing in more loan players than is the norm, to 1 keep us up, and 2 give us the breathing space that gives us to start the rebuild thats obviously needed.

He got rid of a lot of players straight away, who were complete wasters and taking us down. The gamble worked and we stayed up, i think we all hoped and he probably did too that they'd be a bit better, and we'd not been in a relegation fight.

That was not the case though, but we did stay up, and had the added bonus of the cup final, although that does not feel like a bonus today, financially its given him a much better chance of bringing in better players next season.

Our club is in a real mess player wise, after the loans go back, whats left is relegation fodder. I think Fenlon can stop this, and address the situation, its going to take a lot of hard work though, but he deserves the chance to try and do it imo.
    The club is in a mess player wise, has been for some time. What on earth makes you think that Fenlon will turn this around? Or is it just a faint hope you are clinging to?

Testimonial Due
    Fenlon seems like a nice guy, but I point the finger of blame largely at him for yesterday. He does consistanly say the right thing to the media, the kind of things fans want to hear, but I am not a massive beliver in this people pleaser routine.

The club have a big decision to make, keep him for another season (and I mean a full season) or replace him now. Harsh to say the later and I am not usually one for calling for someones head.

Petrie.

No more loan nonsense. IT DOESNT WORK.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Fenlon seems like a nice guy, but I point the finger of blame largely at him for yesterday. He does consistanly say the right thing to the media, the kind of things fans want to hear, but I am not a massive beliver in this people pleaser routine.

The club have a big decision to make, keep him for another season (and I mean a full season) or replace him now. Harsh to say the later and I am not usually one for calling for someones head.
    They won't get shot of him, but I do think they should

Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    ok then......if Fenlon has failed after 6 months working with the worst ibs squad in decades - having first taken time to clear out some deadwood and at least managed to save an SPL spot for us......and notwithstanding all the other predecessors who came with good CV's and "failed":

- who do you suggest we get?
    - How much will a reasonable salary be for him?
    - how long will you give him?
    - what players do you suggest we bring in/remove? and
    - what will our wages ceiling be?

but why is he working with the worst squad decades?
    its because we have sold every player worth anything and replaced them with cheaper options

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post

see my post above....... replace with who? and How long will you give this one? Part of the reason we're in this mess is this "need" for instant success in the shape of a new manager........it aint going to happen, and with VERY few exceptions never has for most teams.

What you need is patience......and support a man who as you say, is saying thr right things....understands the meaning of yesterdays result to the supporters and is saying he will change things. Sacking him for yet another unknown is just continuing the disease at this club. Hbs have neither the resources or backers to do otherwise. I mean, we're hardly a huge attraction.

So.after 6 months we need to give the man a chnace IMHO.

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Quote Originally Posted by Dalkeith View Post
    but why is he working with the worst squad decades?
    its because we have sold every player worth anything and replaced them with cheaper options
    yep, but you can't blame Fenlon for that? he's having to work with what was there when he took over....and is overall gradually replacing those.

see my post above....... replace with who? and How long will you give this one? Part of the reason we're in this mess is this "need" for instant success in the shape of a new manager........it aint going to happen, and with VERY few exceptions never has for most teams.

What you need is patience......and support a man who as you say, is saying thr right things....understands the meaning of yesterdays result to the supporters and is saying he will change things. Sacking him for yet another unknown is just continuing the disease at this club. Hbs have neither the resources or backers to do otherwise. I mean, we're hardly a huge attraction.

Were we not having the same discussion last season with Calderwood?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

but will he be given the money to do so, and i mean real money to buy real players

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    He has a massive job on his hands. We need to allow him the time to at least attempt it. He inherited a shambles and only the damaged goods available in January (McPake excepted) to try and improve us. Despite a few doubts I think and hope he will do a job but he isn't a miracle worker...

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VPHIBEE View Post
    After the game yesterday I was gutted as everyone else was. The fact that we made a mediocre Hearts side look like Barcelona says it all. I for one was kidding myself, as we all were. I got carried away in the hype, not won for 110 years, the script was written to end the hoodo etc, etc, etc.... Why I, or anybody else thought that a team that had been so **** all year would go and do anything is crazy in the cold light of this morning.

Yes we bottled, no we didn't turn up, but we have to look forward. Any manager coming into Easter Road would have been on a hiding to nothing trying to turn us around. Pat kept us up, and I would like to see him given the chance to do something with his own team next year. Previous posters in this thread have hit the nail on the head, stability is what we need. If Pat does not do it next year get him out yes, but let's give the man a chance.

Where were Hibs sitting in the league when PF took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferryhibby View Post
    Next seasons goin to be pretty strange anyway, the huns cant sign anyone so will have to play most of there 19,s, herz are gettin rid of their 'top' earners, and might have to play most of their 19s or bargain basement players are theyr called now, dundee utd, aberdeen, st j, motherwell, all seem to be in the same sort of situation, cutting budgets, so we could actually do some good here depending on what players come in, making it a little more of an even playing field, so we need to give PF a chance and see how we start off the season think a lot more of the 19s will come in nxt year also.
    Exactly so we need to be capitalising on that. If we can build a decent , strong squad then we can do well. It's all about investment though, we desperately need Mr Petrie to dig deep and go all out to actually bring some talented, strong and experienced players to the club. I don't mean "do a rangers" and pay totally outrageous amounts of money and eventually up up in the state they're in but he needs to loosen the purse strings otherwise we will continue to be a bottom 6, mediocre side!

The silver lining yesterday is that hopefully this has woken up the board and made them see just how much change is needed! I trust Fenlon, I think his reaction after yesterdays match just show how much he wants to suceed with this club and I think he should be in Petries office on monday morning demanding a lot of financial support in the summer so he can build up his own squad!

Testimonial Due

I agree completely we need to have consistancy and keep a manager, give him time and allow him to do something. we are in a mess as a result of constantly changing managers that have a need to bring in their own players so we end up with a fragmented squad and probably end up spending more money on getting rid of managers and players than we would if we just elected to pay a bit more for a better quality of player.

That said it needs to be the right guy in place in the first place. I dont want to be in the position again for getting rid of another manager in advance of the AGM or pre xmas.

I dont think Fenlon saved us from relegation, I think dunfermline did. I worry about may have happened if fat jim had been appointed a month earlier. I also dont want to see our manager sent to the stand for waving his arms at the opposition fans, I think fenlon is better than getting involved in that!

The board and the manager will know far better if current management team has the ability to build a team, and I dont think that means raiding the LOI for players. I dont see billy brown being there next year so we will have to see what the board chose to do. Albeit i think their job starts on monday having lost a few players after the game yesterday. I am delighted this season is over, in hindsight i wish it ended as i was walking out of the inverness game. The work starts here and I guess I am probably guilty of being a bit down on Fenlon after yesterdays team / tactics display.