hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Keeping our eye on the other ball

First it was Hearts, now it's Edinburgh rugby and who could possibly pay...

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/to...bank-1-2266261

IMO the "debate" around the yams stadium has not completely been laid to rest.

With the shenanigans with Rangers - who'll likely get their way to a degree, just watch the Hearts play a similar "but the economy needs us" card. Oh and it helps Edinburgh rugby too... Was Sighthil dead and buried? Would be funny to see any attempt to work with David Murray now though ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    The article is talking about re-doing Meadowbank with a small stadium (10-12K), while selling off part of the site. I don't think Hearts would go for that.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The article is talking about re-doing Meadowbank with a small stadium (10-12K), while selling off part of the site. I don't think Hearts would go for that.
    See this has always been my issue, Edinburgh does not need another big stadium, I can see the sense in a 10-12k athletics/rugby/football stadium to replace the run down meadowbank, but Edinburgh doesn't need another 20k+ stadium, the only people that benefits is that skint mob over the road
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    I know but im looking beyond this. Perhaps That's just the opening gambit the end game is somewhere else - both have a need. The rugby slant Just makes it more palatable.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    “It would be great to think that we could have a 10-15,000 all-seater stadium in the centre of Edinburgh. That is the perfect dream but there are lots of hurdles to go over before we reach that. For example, who is going to pay for it?"

Erm - this is a stadium for EDINBURGH RUGBY to play in?

How about EDINBURGH RUGBY paying for it?

As must be fairly obvious by now, I'm no big fan of Farmer and Petrie, but one positive thing can be said for them - they understand the simple principle that if you WANT something, you PAY for it. You don't freeload on the community - not at a time when healthcare, education, care for the elderly are all suffering from shrinking budgets and lack of essential resources.

If I understand this, a supermarket chain wants to redevelop the site and build a store for themselves to make money while in return building a small community-use stadium which might be used by groups like Edinburgh Rugby. That might be OK - what I don't think anyone here would want would be for Hearts to put their oar in - aided no doubt by their crooked friends on the Council - and we end up with a 25,000-seater stadium less than 2 miles from ER hosting rugby and football matches on a regular basis.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Is it too obvious to suggest that they play at Easter Road, thus saving any cap ex and Edin Rugby get exactly what they need and we get additional income from the 12 games.
    We could also invest in the 50/50 grass/4g pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    First it was Hearts, now it's Edinburgh rugby and who could possibly pay...

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/to...bank-1-2266261

IMO the "debate" around the yams stadium has not completely been laid to rest.

With the shenanigans with Rangers - who'll likely get their way to a degree, just watch the Hearts play a similar "but the economy needs us" card. Oh and it helps Edinburgh rugby too... Was Sighthil dead and buried? Would be funny to see any attempt to work with David Murray now though ;)
    It's all went quiet over the community stadium Hearts want built for them. I suppose it will be all systems go after the local elections on Thursday right enough, if enough Jambos are elected.

I thought that this was good news. Get the supermarket to pay for a small athletics/rugby stadium next door to Easter Road and it kills off Hearts' hopes of freeloading off the taxpayer through a new stadium in the west of the city.