Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amir Khan is boxing that night too.
    He'll not be the only one!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Yeah, but if you were a Chelsea fan then surely you'd want them in the final at any cost.

Will you be complaining if Hibs lift the Holy Grail after being 'totally negative'?
    This (what you quote, not your own post) is one of these comedy fallacies that folk dream up, presumably having been brought up with the Tornadoes, gone into a deep sleep from 1979-1991, woken up again briefly, and then gone back to sleep until Mowbray came in. If my team had just got through to the Champions League, away at Barcelona, with a sterling defensive display against all the odds, I'd be utterly ecstatic.

If my team win the Scottish Cup, 1-0, having spent 89 minutes camped in their own 18 yard box, folk sitting near me will be extremely lucky if I don't just start tearing the heid aff it there and then. Obviously, a 4-0 skelping is preferable, but - in these types of games more than any other - a win is a win however you come by it.

would john terry have recieved a straight red card if the ball had been played into sanchez feet at that point ? i reckon it would be a yellow. what a stupid guy, if your wanting to give someone a kick wait till theyve got the ball. Although i did find chelsea a lot more likeable with terry off the pitch.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    The point is that Chelsea weren't playing to entertain you, they were trying to get to the European Cup final.
    Exactly. ManU and Arsenal have both tried to play football v Barca in recent years and they both got pumped. I don't think there fans take much comfort from the hidings they got?

Chelsea stopped them playing and also scored more goals (over the 2 legs) seems like a decent effort!

Chelsea will have to play some kind of progressive game against Real. They can't possibly hope to survive like that again.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This (what you quote, not your own post) is one of these comedy fallacies that folk dream up, presumably having been brought up with the Tornadoes, gone into a deep sleep from 1979-1991, woken up again briefly, and then gone back to sleep until Mowbray came in. If my team had just got through to the Champions League, away at Barcelona, with a sterling defensive display against all the odds, I'd be utterly ecstatic.

If my team win the Scottish Cup, 1-0, having spent 89 minutes camped in their own 18 yard box, folk sitting near me will be extremely lucky if I don't just start tearing the heid aff it there and then. Obviously, a 4-0 skelping is preferable, but - in these types of games more than any other - a win is a win however you come by it.
    Brilliant couldnt agree more however hope I am not sitting near you at the final if that would be your personal celebration.

Bottom line is Barca blew it with their comic defending, missed chances and Valdes Zibi impression last night.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Chelsea will have to play some kind of progressive game against Real. They can't possibly hope to survive like that again.
    IF Real can get past Bayern....

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    I'm sure Platini will be unhappy about the anti football approach adopted by Chelski but heartened by both teams compliance with his Financial Fair Play model.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    They're on an incredibly lucky streak, and it's only 90 minutes (as opposed to the 4x90 they've got away with recently against Wigan, Arsenal and 2xBarca), so they could well get away with it against Real/Bayern. And I don't think they'll change their game just because it's a showpiece final. However if they win the CL playing like that, I foresee calls for rule changes of the sort that exist in one-day cricket - perhaps "no more than 9 players at any time in own quarter of pitch" or somesuch. Which would be tiresome, but not half as tiresome as watching Chelski's hoof-the-baw-up-to-Drogba-and-hope-he-gets-a-freekick-for-falling-over routine.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    You cant blame Chelsea at all for the way they played over the two legs, if they went toe to toe, they'd have been pumped. Barcelona play the best football in the world, and trying to beat them doing the same would be suicide. FFS even Real Madrid dont try it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    You cant blame Chelsea at all for the way they played over the two legs, if they went toe to toe, they'd have been pumped. Barcelona play the best football in the world, and trying to beat them doing the same would be suicide. FFS even Real Madrid dont try it.
    You can't blame them, no, as they played within the rules (well, apart from Drogba, Terry and the others who'll miss the final). But if it becomes common that teams who played like Chelsea triumph over teams who play like Barca, the rules should be changed. Happens in all sports that rules get changed, for the good of the game. Was indeed a heroic effort by Chelsea, but you wouldn't want youngsters copying the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by reallapsedhibee View Post
    You can't blame them, no, as they played within the rules (well, apart from Drogba, Terry and the others who'll miss the final). But if it becomes common that teams who played like Chelsea triumph over teams who play like Barca, the rules should be changed. Happens in all sports that rules get changed, for the good of the game. Was indeed a heroic effort by Chelsea, but you wouldn't want youngsters copying the idea!
    I agree you wouldn't want youngsters to copy them, as for Chelsea not playing by the rules, Barca and Real are no strangers to bending the law too. Chelsea won, Barca lost. It gives hope to all the underdogs who play each and every week against so called bigger clubs.

As for changing the rules, what do you suggest?

They're on an incredibly lucky streak, and it's only 90 minutes (as opposed to the 4x90 they've got away with recently against Wigan, Arsenal and 2xBarca), so they could well get away with it against Real/Bayern. And I don't think they'll change their game just because it's a showpiece final. However if they win the CL playing like that, I foresee calls for rule changes of the sort that exist in one-day cricket - perhaps "no more than 9 players at any time in own quarter of pitch" or somesuch. Which would be tiresome, but not half as tiresome as watching Chelski's hoof-the-baw-up-to-Drogba-and-hope-he-gets-a-freekick-for-falling-over routine.
    I don't think Chelsea will 'get away' with anything.

Chelsea played two legs against the best team in the world without losing - they won one game, and they drew 2-2 in Barcelona with ONLY ten men on the park against a team that plays possession football per excellence yet some people are seriously suggesting this is only down to incredible luck?

People may not like the style of the tactics involved, but defending is part of the game, the tactics were effective and the team's overall performance against Barca surely has to be respected - putting it down to luck is ignoring the tremendous physical, tactical, mental and motivational aspects of Chelsea's game last night.

I don't particularly care for Chelsea as a team, some of their players or the guy who owns them - but none of that blinds me to the fact that It took more than just luck to master Barcelona over two legs.

Personally, I think Barca should consider having a proper CF up top, that way they could attack teams by pass and move, or out wide and putting in a cross. Drop one of the wider men, let Messi play all across the front line.
    I was shaking my head at times last night, chipping the ball FROM a wide area near the bye line back to 30 yards out !... And same with corners. I love the way they play and I am fully behind the passing style they have, but surely they should consider a Benzema type of player up top as well? At least part of their squad?

It's respect to Barca that the only way teams can compete or beat them, is to cramp 10 players mainly centrally, on the edge of their box. However, now Barca should be looking to add more height/power/strength up top, to have a different option IMO.
    Last night was like watching a training session of attackers v defenders and I was gutted Chelsea got through, not just coz of the way they played but coz I can't stand them collectively or individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    Personally, I think Barca should consider having a proper CF up top, that way they could attack teams by pass and move, or out wide and putting in a cross. Drop one of the wider men, let Messi play all across the front line.
    I was shaking my head at times last night, chipping the ball FROM a wide area near the bye line back to 30 yards out !... And same with corners. I love the way they play and I am fully behind the passing style they have, but surely they should consider a Benzema type of player up top as well? At least part of their squad?

It's respect to Barca that the only way teams can compete or beat them, is to cramp 10 players mainly centrally, on the edge of their box. However, now Barca should be looking to add more height/power/strength up top, to have a different option IMO.
    Last night was like watching a training session of attackers v defenders and I was gutted Chelsea got through, not just coz of the way they played but coz I can't stand them collectively or individually.

There has been talk of Van Persie going there next season.

Although Chelsea did defend very well last night, they carried a good bit of luck over the two legs.

IIRC Barca hit the woodwork three times and missed a penalty, and if any of them had gone in it would have been a totally different story.

There has been talk of Van Persie going there next season.
    He'd certainly fit the bill.....good on the ground, whilst he's pretty strong and is not bad with his napper either.

Personally, I think Barca should consider having a proper CF up top
    They had the best big guy in the world, Ibrahimovic, and they refused to play to his strengths and he was out of there quicker than Drogba falls over, BArca will never, ever, ever change, but teams will adapt and succeed, all this talk of changing the rules nonsense, never heard so much tripe, you can't change the rules to favour one style of play, adapt or die, adapt...or...die.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    They had the best big guy in the world, Ibrahimovic, and they refused to play to his strengths and he was out of there quicker than Drogba falls over, BArca will never, ever, ever change, but teams will adapt and succeed, all this talk of changing the rules nonsense, never heard so much tripe, you can't change the rules to favour one style of play, adapt or die, adapt...or...die.
    There's Van Persie, Rooney, Benzema etc....all these type of strikers can play on the deck but offer some sort of aerial threat too.
    Madrid are gonna win the La Liga (and likely the CL as well), so Barca need to react and slightly mix up their game, clearly now Chelsea, Madrid and maybe others are able to stop them.

Whoever Chelsea play in the final they will be without Terry , Ivanovic , Ramires and Meireles plus whatever injuries they have come 19th May. They might have won the battle but they may have lost the war.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 25-04-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLeith View Post
    Whoever Chelsea play in the final they will be without Terry , Ivanovic , Ramires and Meireles plus whatever injuries they have come 19th May. They might have won the battle but they may have lost war.
    I'm coming round to wanting Chelsea to actually win it now, just so Terry will have missed out. Now if Ashley Cole and Drogba could pick up injuries so they also missed it too, that would just about make it perfect for me.

Firstly, make Drogba start every match already on a yellow card. So that he'll know that if he starts his nonsense at any time during the game, he'll be booked and off. Great player, total knob.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    It took more than just luck to master Barcelona over two legs.
    Course it did, but one of the things it took was luck.

this talk of changing the rules nonsense, never heard so much tripe, you can't change the rules to favour one style of play
    You only need glance at old footage of George Best in action (aye, before he played for us likes) to understand that the rules of football have been changed to favour players like him and to disadvantage players like Norbert Stiles, Chopper Harris, Norman Hunter, etc. What's the difference between changing the rules to favour a player's playing style and changing the rules to favour a collective playing style?

There's Van Persie, Rooney, Benzema etc....all these type of strikers can play on the deck but offer some sort of aerial threat too.
    Madrid are gonna win the La Liga (and likely the CL as well), so Barca need to react and slightly mix up their game, clearly now Chelsea, Madrid and maybe others are able to stop them.
    That isn't a given though, Real ship goals but have the ability to score more which is why they have done so well! Bayern showed last week kind of what Chelsea did, defend well but they arent the best at the back and managed to get aa 2-1 victory.. would have been more if Gomes didn't have a honking game!

I think Real will struggle tonight, Bayern wont be there to be pushed over....

You only need glance at old footage of George Best in action (aye, before he played for us likes) to understand that the rules of football have been changed to favour players like him and to disadvantage players like Norbert Stiles, Chopper Harris, Norman Hunter, etc. What's the difference between changing the rules to favour a player's playing style and changing the rules to favour a collective playing style?
    But that's surely a different kettle of fish entirely, that's player safety, which I'm 100% behind changing the rules to protect a fellow humans well-being, but the type of thing mentioned is a fundamental change to encourage a particular type of play, that, respectively, I'm 100% against.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I hear what you are saying however in many ways their obsession with playing their way makes them so good. Over the two legs if they had defended even reasonably they would have got through. Puyol and Mascherano arent great and Zibi Valdes must wear non-stick gloves. The goals they lost both at Chelsea and last night were awful in that for all 3 Chelsea had one guy attacking who no-one was picking up. Torres goal was laughable not one Barca player within 25m of him.

Barca werent as good last night for sure with Messi as bad as I have seen him however 2-0 up at home against 10 and you dont win you have blown it basically.

But that's surely a different kettle of fish entirely, that's player safety, which I'm 100% behind changing the rules to protect a fellow humans well-being, but the type of thing mentioned is a fundamental change to encourage a particular type of play, that, respectively, I'm 100% against.
    I'm thinking of the well-being of the wider game. It's only interesting to watch that backs-to-the-wall stuff once in a while, no matter how well it's done (and it could hardly have been done any better than Chelsea did it last night).

All other sports change their rules, not just to protect against physical injury. And doesn't the offside rule in fitba get changed from time to time, to improve the game? Are you 100% against that?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I hear what you are saying however in many ways their obsession with playing their way makes them so good. Over the two legs if they had defended even reasonably they would have got through. Puyol and Mascherano arent great and Zibi Valdes must wear non-stick gloves. The goals they lost both at Chelsea and last night were awful in that for all 3 Chelsea had one guy attacking who no-one was picking up. Torres goal was laughable not one Barca player within 25m of him.Barca werent as good last night for sure with Messi as bad as I have seen him however 2-0 up at home against 10 and you dont win you have blown it basically.
    There was 1 minute left in the game, they had to go all out to try get a goal and just from one hoof up the part it fell to Torres, and give him his dues for being composed

First Team Regular
    Barca's way of playing has worked for the last 3 years, so they lost a few games, they're gonna go out against whoever this weekend and hump them.

Chelsea were lucky, not good, lucky.

Tbh I thought Chelsea played **** over the two legs, but taking your chances against 3 on 2 and 1 on 1 is easier than 10 vs 9(people inside the box)

And by the way there were people calling for rule changes even before the semi final second leg.

And by the way there were people calling for rule changes even before the semi final second leg.
    I disagree with anymore rule changes, for me any change is just to let the richer teams win more. The games run far too much in their favour now, christ they win most of the time now. Let the smaller clubs play whatever way they want within the rules.